Throwaway Room - Offsite to Onsite Stays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every onsite resort room door is activated and opens via a linked MagicBand. That's why everyone receives a MB; it has nothing to do with tickets as you don't need to have tickets to stay in an onsite hotel.

In the 1st post of this thread, everything is explained by ckelly14.

Gotcha. I read all that but it still seems unbelievable to me that this is still going on. We read about this happening two years ago when we were planning our last trip and I am honestly shocked that Disney hasn't somehow put a stop to this throwaway room stuff. That being said, it is interesting to think about and it seems it would actually save us money to book one throwaway night and get the benefits. Thank you to all who answer all these questions and explain everything so well!

Gotcha. I read all that but it still seems unbelievable to me that this is still going on. We read about this happening two years ago when we were planning our last trip and I am honestly shocked that Disney hasn't somehow put a stop to this throwaway room stuff. That being said, it is interesting to think about and it seems it would actually save us money to book one throwaway night and get the benefits. Thank you to all who answer all these questions and explain everything so well!

We are keeping/paying for one night at a campsite to get Magic Bands, 2 days of free parking, and the ability to book FPs 60 days out from our check-in date, followed by the "rolling 60" described in the first post. Disney is getting the money for the campsite, so I don't feel like I'm cheating them out of anything.

Last edited:
Dropping in to remind everyone that Throwaway Rooms are valid room reservations with the standard onsite benefits.

Disney allows all onsite bookings or they wouldn't have any resort income.

Please remain on topic as to what is presented in Post #1 of this thread.

After reading through all of the threads here, I have a question about throwaway rooms. My family and I are going to Orlando this Nov. 12-19. We have already purchased our 5 day WDW tickets. If I have a campsite reserved for the night of the 14th (our 2nd park day), would I be able to book FP+ for the 13th, or just the 14th and after? I guess most would just book the site for the 1st day, but I don't actually plan to cancel the stay, and rates are much lower during the week. I'm just wondering if I risk anything by using the magic bands with linked tickets before we "check in." Would I book 1st day FP 30 days out instead of 60? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

After reading through all of the threads here, I have a question about throwaway rooms. My family and I are going to Orlando this Nov. 12-19. We have already purchased our 5 day WDW tickets. If I have a campsite reserved for the night of the 14th (our 2nd park day), would I be able to book FP+ for the 13th, or just the 14th and after? I guess most would just book the site for the 1st day, but I don't actually plan to cancel the stay, and rates are much lower during the week. I'm just wondering if I risk anything by using the magic bands with linked tickets before we "check in." Would I book 1st day FP 30 days out instead of 60? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!
:welcome: to the Boards!

When your 60-day window opens, it includes the 13th and you can book through your checkout day. Then, you'll benefit from the rolling 60-day window beginning 60 days out from each offsite park day.

Dropping in to remind everyone that Throwaway Rooms are valid room reservations with the standard onsite benefits.

Disney allows all onsite bookings or they wouldn't have any resort income.

Please remain on topic as to what is presented in Post #1 of this thread.
I get it. They are valid room reservations. With onsite perks. Without actually staying in the room that's being reserved. I do get it.

We are staying offsite over Veteran's day weekend with 3 park days (11/11-13). My original plan was to book a campsite for the night of 11/11, but they were unavailable when I tried. I was able to book for 11/10, so I lost one of the days of free parking, but it ended up being more than $20 cheaper for Thursday night than Friday night...net gain (cost $66.38). My plan was never to take advantage of the onsite booking and then cancelling once I was past certain deadlines. My parents will be getting magic bands for the first time, but this is not something that we would have pursued as something with any "value" with the onsite reservation. Nice perk, but not "$13 worth of value" for us. We will be taking advantage of EMH on 11/11 (definitely AM & possibly PM). I don't know what the value of that is, but it definitely helps. We booked FP+ for day 1 at 61 days out, and days 2 and 3 at 60 days out. Frozen Ever After was only available at 7:40 or later for day 2. 7DMT was only available after 4:00 for day 1 (we will be out of MK by then), and it was unavailable for day 3. So if anyone is booking a throwaway just for "good" FP+ access to those 2 rides, I would say that you probably will not have much success. It may be different outside of party season. 60 days of course gives you greater flexibility with what is available, but I don't know that it has much value if this is your sole reason for booking a throwaway. Also, we were unable to get Ohana or CRT reservations at 180 and 181 days out. That availability may also be a seasonal issue. When we get to Orlando, I will attempt to make a bounce back reservation. If successful, this is where the real value is to me. So at the moment, adjusting for parking, we have paid $46.38 for a 7:40 PM Frozen Ever After FP+, greater flexibility for remaining FP+, and 8:00-9:00 AM at MK on 11/11 (at least). To me, that is worth it. Any more than 1 night (to gain greater access to FP+ and dining and assuming there are no cancellations), and this becomes not worth it to me.

Keep trying on the hard to get FPs and ADRs. We've gotten everything we want by continuing to check the website and by using the Touring Plans reservation finder.

Yes definitely keep trying, I thought I had no chance of getting FEA for our family of four on 11/08 but I kept trying for the next few days and then up popped 4 FP's for 5pm.......result! Needless to say I was very happy :)

Keep trying on the hard to get FPs and ADRs. We've gotten everything we want by continuing to check the website and by using the Touring Plans reservation finder.

Yes definitely keep trying, I thought I had no chance of getting FEA for our family of four on 11/08 but I kept trying for the next few days and then up popped 4 FP's for 5pm.......result! Needless to say I was very happy :)

Good advice. But this is true for 60 or 30 day FP+ reservations. I was just saying that if your goal is to book hard to get FP+ at exactly 60 days with the "rolling glitch" of a throwaway reservation, you may not have initial success with booking 7DMT or FEA (especially at the time you may be looking for).

Good advice. But this is true for 60 or 30 day FP+ reservations. I was just saying that if your goal is to book hard to get FP+ at exactly 60 days with the "rolling glitch" of a throwaway reservation, you may not have initial success with booking 7DMT or FEA (especially at the time you may be looking for).

Great points. The value may be limiting for some so your mileage may vary. Remember, this whole concept started when offsite guests were given same day fast pass (SDFP) only. Best bang for your buck is for those that were planning on purchasing MB's anyway, those that take advantage of EMH, and guests that drive to the parks.

If I get a campsite pitch for 1 night, and want to collect my magic bands (UK) do I just go to the Customs House the same as I would if I was in a hotel room?

Admittedly I haven't read through EVERYTHING on Throwaway rooms, but a “friend” of mine came up with the following scenario and was wondering if it would work.

Staying offsite in Orlando March 11th – 16th.
5 day Park Passes planning to go March 12th-16th.
Staying with friends in Tampa March 17th-21st
Onsite resort reservation March 22nd – 26th
My friend really loves the Disney resorts and wants to finish her long trip to Florida with some relaxing time by the pool, golf, spa, restaurants without visiting the parks.

Her FPP+ 60 day window would open up Jan 22nd (give or take a day, I didn’t do the math) and she could book her advance passes for March 12-16th correct?

Now suppose she starts having flu-like symptoms and finds out she’s contracted Zika during her last day at Epcot and on March 17th has to CANCEL her resort reservation. Since she’s still within the 5 day window, she’d be entitled to a full refund, correct? Even though she’s already enjoyed her advance FP times, EMH, free parking, etc?

Am I missing something here?

We are staying offsite over Veteran's day weekend with 3 park days (11/11-13). My original plan was to book a campsite for the night of 11/11, but they were unavailable when I tried. I was able to book for 11/10, so I lost one of the days of free parking, but it ended up being more than $20 cheaper for Thursday night than Friday night...net gain (cost $66.38). My plan was never to take advantage of the onsite booking and then cancelling once I was past certain deadlines. My parents will be getting magic bands for the first time, but this is not something that we would have pursued as something with any "value" with the onsite reservation. Nice perk, but not "$13 worth of value" for us. We will be taking advantage of EMH on 11/11 (definitely AM & possibly PM). I don't know what the value of that is, but it definitely helps. We booked FP+ for day 1 at 61 days out, and days 2 and 3 at 60 days out. Frozen Ever After was only available at 7:40 or later for day 2. 7DMT was only available after 4:00 for day 1 (we will be out of MK by then), and it was unavailable for day 3. So if anyone is booking a throwaway just for "good" FP+ access to those 2 rides, I would say that you probably will not have much success. It may be different outside of party season. 60 days of course gives you greater flexibility with what is available, but I don't know that it has much value if this is your sole reason for booking a throwaway. Also, we were unable to get Ohana or CRT reservations at 180 and 181 days out. That availability may also be a seasonal issue. When we get to Orlando, I will attempt to make a bounce back reservation. If successful, this is where the real value is to me. So at the moment, adjusting for parking, we have paid $46.38 for a 7:40 PM Frozen Ever After FP+, greater flexibility for remaining FP+, and 8:00-9:00 AM at MK on 11/11 (at least). To me, that is worth it. Any more than 1 night (to gain greater access to FP+ and dining and assuming there are no cancellations), and this becomes not worth it to me.
What is a bounce back reservation?
Also, how did you book your first fp at 61 days out? I thought it had to be 60 days out.

What is a bounce back reservation?
Also, how did you book your first fp at 61 days out? I thought it had to be 60 days out.

Bounce back offers are discounts given to onsite guests if they book another trip while on vacation. I'm not sure what their availability generally is.

You are correct- FP+ reservations open up at 60 days. However, if you are staying onsite, they also open up all the following days for your length of stay, including your check-out day, up to 10 days (you may have seen the term 180+10). Therefore, it is possible to book some fast passes up to 170 days in advance

I have a fort wilderness throwaway booked for early Nov., but had to book 2 separate reservations. I won't be canceling any because I want the EMH. I've already done online check-in. Is there any reason at all to go there in person- especially twice!?I just don't want any issues with the perks on the band that go along with the onsite reservation. What do most ppl do for throwaway?

Last edited:
I have a fort wilderness throwaway booked for early Nov., but had to book 2 separate reservations. I won't be canceling any because I want the EMH. I've already done online check-in. Is there any reason at all to go there in person- especially twice!?I just don't want any issues with the perks on the band that go along with the onsite reservation. What do most ppl do for throwaway?
Here is info from the OP:
Do I need to actually check-in?

With the advent of online check-in, most guests do not even show up at the resort. If you check-in online, your MB is already active and can be used for Theme Park parking, FP+ and EMH.

I was wondering if someone could help me figure out my FP for my Throw away campsite. We booked the campgrounds 12/14-12/15, then Poly 12/15- 12/19, then AK Kidani 12/19- 12/22. Originally my FP+ date for Poly was 10/16 I believe. The first night is a Throw-away, will I only be able to book FP for the first part of the stay (12/14-12/15) on 10/15, then the second part (12/15- 12/19) on 10/16, then the last part (12/19-12/22) on 10/20, or will I be able to book all of my FP+ for my 8 day split stay on the first date? I will have a 7 day ticket that I am using throughout all three stays. My biggest concern is Frozen on 12/17 which is part of my second stay.
Thanks!

From the third entry in the FastPass+ FAQ thread:

Two Onsite Stays (Back-to-Back)
    • Package Stay followed by Room-Only (RO) Stay. The 60-day FP booking window will open at 60 days before the check-in date of the first (package) stay and will extend until the checkout date of the second (RO) stay.
    • RO Stay followed by Package Stay. The 60-day FP booking window will open at 60 days before the check-in date of the second (package) stay and will extend until the checkout date of the second (package) stay. FPs cannot be booked for park days during the RO stay until the package tickets are activated at Guest Relations.
    • Two RO Stays. The 60-day FP booking window will open at 60 days before the check-in date of the first RO stay and will extend until the checkout date of the second stay (and potentially beyond). This assumes valid tickets are linked to the MDX account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter