' Thoughts on my Itinerary? | The DIS Disney Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

Thoughts on my Itinerary?

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by Disney Dining Dad, May 16, 2018.

1. Disney Dining Dad

Disney Dining Dad Earning My Ears

I booked my restaurant reservations a couple of months ago and now just had the chance to select my FastPass+ options when my wife, four-year-old daughter and I go to Disney World in July.

Here's what we have planned. I was hoping to get some feedback as someone who hasn't been to WDW in about 15 years.

Sunday:
    1:35pm - Be Our Guest lunch
    3:20pm - Soarin' Around the World
    4:30pm - Check into Wilderness Lodge
    6:15pm - Dinner at Artist Point

Monday:
    9:25am - Breakfast at Cinderella's Royal Table
    11:40am - Peter Pan's Flight
    3:00pm - Enchanted Tales with Belle
    5:20pm - Dinner at Ohana
    7:45pm - Seven Dwarfs Mine Train

Tuesday:
    10:00am- Kilimanjaro Safaris
    12:00pm - Lunch at Yak & Yeti
    1:50pm - Na'vi River Journey
    3:25pm - Kali River Rapids
    6:15pm - Dinner at Yachtsman Steakhouse

Wednesday:
    9:55am - Toy Story Mania
    10:55am - Voyage of the Little Mermaid
    12:30pm - Lunch at 50's Prime Time Cafe
    3:00pm - For the First Time in Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration
    7:00pm - Dinner at Flying Fish

Thursday:
    9:20am - Breakfast at Chip 'n' Dale's Harvest at Garden Grill
    11:40am - The Seas with Nemo & Friends
    1:50pm - Frozen Ever After
    3:05pm - Spaceship Earth
    6:15pm - Dinner at Monsieur Paul

Friday:
    9:20am - Breakfast at Whispering Canyon Cafe
    10:30am - Pool time at Wilderness Lodge until departure

A few things to note:
    - I realize that many of the popular "thrill ride" attractions such as Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Tower of Terror, Haunted Mansion, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, Flight of Passage, etc. are missing, but that's either because my daughter won't be tall enough or might be too scared.
    - I got most of my FastPass+ options but had to settle for Seven Dwarfs in the late evening (and after a big dinner at Ohana) and didn't get Slinky Dog Dash at all, instead having to settle for Toy Story Mania as my Tier 1 option at Hollywood Studios.
    - The one choice I am having some doubts about is the river rapids so close to a fancy anniversary dinner on Tuesday. I think we will have time to dry off and possibly even return to our resort, but enjoying steak while still being damp isn't ideal. Also, my wife has some vertigo issues so I hope the rafts don't spin too much. I originally had Festival of the Lion King as my third FP option at AK but then read that it's not worth using a FP on a show unless you have a need to have front row (or close to it) seats.
    - You'll see that I only chose one FastPass option on the first day, even though I still have two at my disposal, but after waking up at 3:00am to fly to Orlando from Pittsburgh, that day may be a bit of a blur. I just hope we're still standing at dinner. I chose Soarin' because that was our close second Tier 1 selection at Epcot, but it will obviously require hopping from MK to Epcot to Wilderness Lodge.
    - We don't have tickets to a park or meals left on our last day so we plan to just chill at the resort until it's time to go. Lunch at Geyser Point is likely as well, but everything will be out of pocket.

If anyone has any comments, criticisms or other feedback, it is highly welcomed and appreciated. Thanks very much.

2. epcotobsessed

epcotobsessed Mouseketeer

I would definitely change Sunday. Lunch at 1:35 in MK and then even a 4:30FP at Soarin (the latest you could enter) is rushed. And then you'd have to leave right away for dinner. I would either change lunch to Epcot that day or change your FP to MK ride(s). The timing of your other days is spread out, which can be hard with a 4 year old, who probably needs some down time at the pool. You know your kid best, clearly, so take that for what it's worth. Your first day is completely insane, in my opinion, but the others are doable depending on the stamina of your 4yo.

ccrosswhite likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Klayfish

Klayfish DIS Veteran

You already pointed it out, but on day one you'll be hoping from MK to Epcot then to the hotel. Seems like a lot of work, for just one meal and one ride.

My next thought is that you have a ton of time between meals and the FP+ you have listed. Are you going to "wing it" or do you have other plans to kill the time? Nothing wrong with winging it, that's what we do, but just curious what your plan is.

This is a personal decision, but I wouldn't leave out Splash, Space, etc...because your daughter may be too scared. If she's too short, that's one thing, but if she's not give her the opportunity to ride, or encourage her to try if you want.

Yes, you may get soaked on Kali. So be prepared. And yes, the raft can spin a good bit. It's not a fast spin, but it does spin some.

5. MrInfinity

MrInfinity DIS Veteran

Lookin good! Here's what I'd change...

Day 1... I know you want to squeeze in Soarin, but I just would not. Arrive, go to the MK for a few hours, book all 3 of your FP here, then you hop on the BOAT back to your hotel. What better way to arrive than by boat from the MK. If you trek down to Epcot you'll be on the Monorail (2 hops) and then a bus going home. Yuck! Just boat it to your hotel. You're eating at BOG so FP's around 2, 3 and 4 for Fantasyland stuff. PP, SDMT, and Enchanted Tales would be nice.

Day 2... Having done Fantasyland yesterday, I'd move your two midday FP's to Frontierland. Thunder and Splash Mountains. If you don't want the thrillier rides, then do Pirates, Jungle Cruise. Just as good a plan but less intense. Ride the carpets and see the Tiki room in your spare time. Then, you're in "Adventure mode" and you're set to BOAT it on over to the Polynesian for dinner! Perfect Adventure day. :) If you're feeling up to it go back to the MK for the SDMT (again) but I'm guessing you'll be in "let's just go swim" mode by this point.

Day 3... I would move Kali to about 12:50. Otherwise you're back in Asia, crossing to Pandora, then back to Asia again. (tons of walking!) If you move that one ride, you cut out so much walking. Kali is right next to Y&Y... Then you're in Pandora and you can leave when you're good.

Day 4... I think this day is good as is. I like the Flying Fish paired with Hollywood Studios.

Day 5... Please don't do the Seas -- Frozen -- Spaceship Earth -- Monsier Paul. Talk about crossing the park from absolute front to back several times! Move SE to early -- like 10:40, right before the Seas Pavilion. Then you walk back to the World Showcase once (ride Figment as you pass it on the way), do Frozen and have dinner in France. Do Soarin at Rope Drop.

EDIT: Better plan. Move Garden Grill to about 9:45. I checked and it seems like an easy res to move. This will ensure you have enough time to ride Soarin and go to breakfast w/o rushing. Stroller parking is out of the way by Soarin, it's down the path toward the Seas. Know in advance. ;)

Day 6... Good!

I know it's a lot of changes but you've got a lot of extra walking in there that moving a few of your easy-to-move FastPasses can simplify.
    HTH!

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    TinkerPan likes this.
  6. DisneyFansInNYC

DisneyFansInNYC DIS Veteran

I agree about changing Sunday. That is too much moving around. I too would stay at MK and then check in. Or skip Be Our Guest lunch and eat at EPCOT and do Soarin.

7. StacyStrong

StacyStrong Mouseketeer

I would skip Be Our Guest the way you have it. I would do a quick lunch at a QS or just some snacks and stick with dinner.

1:35 for lunch with a 6:30 dinner reservation seems really close to me. Especially since you'll likely not eat right when you arrive at BOG.

With a long flight/day, you also might not want to eat as much. I know when I'm tired, I eat less, but you would know that about yourself and your group better. It's just something to think about. I know that I personally couldn't do two TS a day when I'm at WDW because it's just so much food. Granted I do snack. Again, that's just a personal preference, but for your first day with lots of travel, I wouldn't be hoping around like that.

8. Disney Dining Dad

Thanks very much for the feedback. I have decided to cancel my FP for Soarin' on Sunday and will just pick three attractions at MK instead.

One question -- Is there a way for me to check out what times certain attractions are still available on certain days? When I attempt to click on dates to analyze my options, I'm not able to move forward because I already have three FastPasses.

I guess I could just select an attraction from my list and choose "Modify," and I'm guessing I'll be alerted if the time that I attempt to move my pass to isn't available?

9. tinkerbellybutton

tinkerbellybutton DIS Veteran

One thing I noticed immediately was how many signature meals you have, and how many scheduled meals in general. In our experience some of those meals tend to take longer. I don't know your child, but my kids at that age would not have enjoyed so many long meals, or even multiple sit down meals per day. Just something that stood out to me that I know wouldn't have been very enjoyable for my kids at that age.

I am guessing you are in the deluxe dining plan? We haven't done the dining plan in years, and have always tried to stick to just one sit down meal a day. Even then, my kids often complained that we were "going eat again???" . Even my husband and I felt that way by the end of the trips.

Alesia likes this.
  10. Klayfish

Klayfish DIS Veteran

Yes, your last sentence is pretty much how you do it. Modify one of your FP+, and you'll be able to see what rides have what time slots available. As long as you don't select and confirm one of them, you won't lose your existing FP+.

11. uncleozzy

uncleozzy Earning My Ears

Agreed, 100%. I like to eat, I know that I get super-hangry if I don't eat on schedule on vacations like this, but I definitely wouldn't do that many sit-downs with my four-year-old (even though she's usually very chill at table-service meals). I think for adults, sitting and being served is a chance to relax and reset, but for young kids, it can sometimes be a lot of extra effort, especially when they're already tired from running around the parks all day.

I'm planning for December, when she'll be just-shy of five, but I'm still trying to under-plan meals (which, I gotta say, is really hard for me).

12. maryj11

maryj11 DIS Veteran

Agree with this. Traveling in Disney can be stressful and exhausting some times. I would go to only one of the parks then back to WL. I would also spread my meals farther apart on Sunday if there is still reservations left. I know BOG fills up pretty quick.
    We also do our fastpasses back to back so then we can go for a 4th FP or wont be waiting so long for our next one.

DisneyFansInNYC likes this.
  13. sanapp

sanapp DIS Veteran

Are you planning an breaks for your daughter. I found that even when my daughter was say 8 she couldn't go all day in the park and then go for a nice dinner. I have done the dlxdp with my daughter and many signatures, but I always planned non park downtime to be sure that she was rested and in the best mood possible to go to the restaurant. I also wouldn't do Kali if you don't have time to go back to your resort and freshen up.

epcotobsessed likes this.
  14. Disney Dining Dad

Thank you all for your very helpful feedback. I have used it to create what I believe is a tighter, more practical schedule. MrInfinity's day-by-day breakdown was quite helpful in that regard. When my FastPass+ access first opened up this week, I admittedly was just trying to secure certain attractions without really looking at times or maps. Here's what I have now:

Sunday:
    10:50am - Jungle Cruise
    11:50am - The Magic Carpets of Aladdin
    1:35pm - Lunch at Be Our Guest
    3:05pm - Tomorrowland Speedway
    4:30pm - Check into Wilderness Lodge
    6:15pm - Dinner at Artist Point

Monday:
    9:25am - Breakfast at Cinderella's Royal Table
    11:40am - Peter Pan's Flight
    12:40pm - Enchanted Tales with Belle
    5:20pm - Dinner at Ohana
    7:45pm - Seven Dwarfs Mine Train

Tuesday:
    10:00am- Kilimanjaro Safaris
    12:00pm - Lunch at Yak & Yeti
    12:50pm - Kali River Rapids
    1:50pm - Na'vi River Journey
    6:15pm - Dinner at Yachtsman Steakhouse

Wednesday:
    9:55am - Toy Story Mania
    10:55am - Voyage of the Little Mermaid
    12:30pm - Lunch at 50's Prime Time Cafe
    2:00pm - For the First Time in Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration
    7:00pm - Dinner at Flying Fish

Thursday:
    10:00am - Breakfast at Chip 'n' Dale's Harvest at Garden Grill
    11:05am - The Seas with Nemo & Friends
    12:25pm - Spaceship Earth
    1:50pm - Frozen Ever After
    6:15pm - Dinner at Monsieur Paul

Friday:
    9:20am - Breakfast at Whispering Canyon Cafe
    10:30am - Pool time at Wilderness Lodge until departure

- Our flight is scheduled to land in Orlando around 8:00 on Sunday morning so I'm not sure what time that puts us in the park. Thus, the first FP is for late morning.
    - I realize the rides that I'm using FPs for on the first day probably aren't the best and may not even require them, but my wife think this is what my daughter will enjoy the most and feels strongly that she won't do Splash Mountain, Haunted Mansion or Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (which selfishly would have been my three choices). Other options we are considering that day are Dumbo the Flying Elephant, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh or Under the Sea - Journey of the Little Mermaid, but we can likely do those without FPs. Plus, this is the first day when we will likely be very exhausted.
    - Due to the proximity of Yak & Yeti and the River Rapids, I moved Kali to right after lunch. This will provide us with a nice break between Animal Kingdom and our anniversary dinner that night. I just hope the spinning rafts after all that Asian food isn't a bad idea.
    - I don't know much about the boardwalk, but you'll see that we will have some time to kill between Hollywood Studios and a 7:00 dinner time. So, hopefully it's a nice place to walk around and experience before our meal.
    - I'm hoping that we can do Soarin' at Rope Drop, as several of you suggested. That's why I pushed back the breakfast reservation. I also rearranged the activities so that we don't have to go into World Showcase and then back out to Future World.
    - I know there have been some comments about the number of sit-down meals, but we have a deluxe plan so we thought we should attempt to eat well, with two table service credits each day. The breakfasts and lunches should keep my daughter entertained, and we are hoping that she is well behaved during our more upscale dinners.

Thanks again for the feedback, and please feel free to provide more after seeing the updated itinerary that you helped me create.