thoughtful baby shower gift on a budget

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by belleelc77, May 8, 2018.

1. belleelc77

belleelc77 Mouseketeer

any thoughts?

2. lovesmurfs

lovesmurfs DIS Veteran

Sounds awful, but our local thrift store often has beautiful hand-crocheted baby blankets that look brand new. I've been known to get one (and wash it...) to give it as a gift.

Other than that, just staples -- burp cloth, wipes, safety stuff, etc.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. happily single

happily single Left foot first!

I will cut diaper coupons and buy larger size diapers that are on sale (using the coupons)

Crystal824 and figment52 like this.
  5. jedijill

jedijill Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

plain white baby t-shirts. They are cheap and my SIL swore by them when my niece and nephew were babies.

Jill in CO

6. Jen and Ashwin

Jen and Ashwin DIS Veteran

BabyBum diaper cream brush.

I thought it seemed silly, but it is one of my very favorite baby items.

7. JustCallMeMommy

JustCallMeMommy DIS Veteran

You can find beautiful outfits for reasonable prices. I find that an outfit is almost always cheaper than trying to put together a little necessities basket or something like that.

You could also do something like the book Oh The Places You'll Go along with instructions to the parents to get each teacher to sign it, but it is sometimes hard to find a good deal on books.

8. toesmom

toesmom DIS Veteran

Diapers are the most useful baby gift, so big box of newborn diapers would be appreciated and is not expensive.

9. tink89

tink89 new user name long time poster.

Whats your budget? I say head over to target use their cartwheel discounts and grab something nice. There are many nice things under $20

10. quandrea

quandrea DIS Veteran

Receiving blankets, cotton terry bibs, cotton wash cloths. They aren’t sexy, but as a new parent, you use tons of these items.

11. belleelc77

belleelc77 Mouseketeer

I'd like to stay right around $25. The parents have a registry at Target but I didn't see anything that really jumped out at me. I have had success there in the past putting together gift baskets from their clearance, but I have been trying to stay out of there if I can help it. I always spend more that I anticipated.

12. Minniemouse07

Minniemouse07 DIS Veteran

I love giving books. A few good board books or classic picture books would be an excellent gift. If it is one of your favorites, you can share what you like best about it w/ a book plate in the inside front cover.

You could also get all the information on your state's college savings plan and wrap it up with a check to start them off.

13. tink89

tink89 new user name long time poster.

They used to have these diaper gift sets for around $25 both papmers and huggies brand. I bought them at target and Babies R us:-)sad2:). They have a registry and since nothing really jumped out at you I say go look again and pick one item reasonably priced get that and one other thing of your liking.

14. kymom99

kymom99 DIS Veteran

How about some safety items? Like outlet covers, etc.

15. CalDisneyMomof2

CalDisneyMomof2 DIS Veteran

I think the most thoughtful gift is from the registry. Unless there isn't anything in your budget. I'd say I received 10% of the items from my registry and I was sure to put several items ranging from $10 up to $300. I ended up with a lot of things that went unused and were unreturnable and had to pay out of pocket for everything. If there's nothing left on the registry in your budget: diapers and wipes.

Edit:
    I reread my post and it may have sounded harsh. I received several and I mean SEVERAL blankets and receiving blankets, clothes, wash cloths, towels, shoes, a nose frieda with filters and so much more that is just collecting dust as none came with gift receipts and I never used because I got SO much and had no use for it. I appreciate the thought and generosity. Truly. But I feel bad that some of the gifts were never used.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  16. Minniemouse07

FWIW, I'm never comfortable gifting diapers at a shower. Diapers are like jeans, the same size from different brands fits each kid differently. I know for my two one blew out of Huggies every time and wore Pampers like a champ and the second kid was completely opposite.

SouloTravlr and cel_disney like this.
  17. sksjasams

sksjasams DIS Veteran

Really, try to find something from their registry if you can. They wouldn't have registered for the items if they didn't want them.

If you can't do that, maybe pick up a nice fleece blanket at Target or Kohls, and order a board book or two from Amazon.

Do you have a Kohls charge? You can get great deals on super cute Carter's baby outfits or pjs when they have the 30% off codes.

I personally loved these terry cloth sleepers - perfect for year round, baby doesn't overheat.
    https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2883077/baby-carters-animal-terry-sleep-play.jsp?prdPV=5

18. Minniemouse07

Kohl's....they always have book/stuffed animal combinations available as part of their Kohl's Cares program. Each book and each stuffed animal are $5. You could get two book/animal sets for a total of $20!

19. belleelc77

belleelc77 Mouseketeer

I think they are going to have more diapers than they can store. At their gender reveal each pack of diapers was an entry into a raffle for a Yeti travel mug donated by the host. They are doing something similar again for the shower so I will already be picking up some of those. That's another reason why I need to keep the actual gift on the inexpensive side.

I don't really want to get clothes, my DD had so many she never got to wear because they grow so fast. I'm trying to remember the things that I really liked having but it's been a long 16+ years.

ETA: I like the book idea. My daughter loves to read and started early with all the board books she had. I might also check the discount section at B&N, they sometimes have sets of books.

20. starry_solo

starry_solo DIS Veteran

Children's books and/or music.

Talk
    Read
    Sing

That's what they need to do in order for the baby's brain to develop. So I think simple books that the parents can read to their baby would be good.

cel_disney and CoP Luv like this.
  21. CoP Luv

CoP Luv DIS Veteran

Books and more books.

Whatever you give, please be sure to give a gift receipt. (This should be true for any gift, really)

larissawbb, sjrec and sksjasams like this.