Thought this might be a good discussion...

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by sam_gordon, Jul 17, 2017.

1. DisneyHardin

DisneyHardin DIS Veteran

I agree with this. By middle school, the goal of the sports team is to win and if having a super talented 5th grader helps their chance more than a not so talented 8th grader, then they should go with the 5th grader.

2. soccerdad72

soccerdad72 DIS Veteran

As to the bolded - is it really the goal? Does anyone really care if a middle school team wins? I mean, besides the kids and the parents? Has any middle school sports coach been fired for having a losing record? I would think the goal of a middle school program would be to develop talent for the high school team.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. DisneyHardin

DisneyHardin DIS Veteran

It isn't as competitive as high school, but I believe that once kids are in middle school the goal is to win. If you want a less competitive environment, things like rec league or Upwards allow Middle School aged kids.

5. sam_gordon

sam_gordon DIS Veteran

"Pay to play" isn't a part of the discussion, I'm not even sure why you brought it up.

Even if the 5th grader still attends elementary school?

6. Hikergirl

Hikergirl DIS Veteran

Then the most talented players should be put on the team, and that may mean a 5th grade who is better than an 8th grader.
    Not only is the competition between teams, there is competition between individual players, that is why they have try-outs.

DisneyHardin likes this.
  7. soccerdad72

soccerdad72 DIS Veteran

The most talented players who go to that school should be put on the team. Cutting players that go to the middle school for ones that don't opens up a can of worms I don't think the school district would want to deal with.

8. Hikergirl

Hikergirl DIS Veteran

I'm sure that depends on the district itself. Its no different to me than combining schools to make a district team, which is done here for some sports.

I can't think of any can of worms other than parents complaining that it isn't fair. I don't think that is enough of a reason to not do it.

9. soccerdad72

soccerdad72 DIS Veteran

2 examples I can think of right now:

1. Why stop at 5th grade? Should the middle school be able to add a really talented 4th grader? How about a 3rd grader?

2. My son doesn't go to the public school, but as a resident in our school district, should he be eligible to be included on a sports team? If so, do the schools start scouting the private schools for residents that would be more talented than the kids currently enrolled in the middle school?

Soldier's*Sweeties likes this.
  10. FlightlessDuck

FlightlessDuck Y kant Donald fly?

Why would that matter if 5th graders are allowed on the team to begin with? Why would the cut rules apply differently?

11. Hikergirl

Hikergirl DIS Veteran

1. A school can set whatever rules they want, and I would assume they use their judgment on those types of decisions. In some cases 5th and 6th grade are included in middle school, 4th is not.

2. This has nothing to do with this situation but to counter your straw man argument I'll play along. There may be places where there are agreements between public and private schools, so if you happen to be in one of those places then there is no reason why your child should not try-out for the team and make it over someone less skilled that goes to the public school.

12. sam_gordon

sam_gordon DIS Veteran

Some states/districts follow what is called a "Tebow" rule. Basically, if you are home schooled or if your school does not offer the sport you want to participate in, but your districted school does offer it, you can play for the public school. Our district does not allow that however (one of DS's teammates from last year is going to home school and applied for a waiver to play for the team again and was denied).

Since the rule is in place, then yes, 5th graders are allowed. The question I posed is whether people agree with that rule or not.

13. Gumbo4x4

Gumbo4x4 Note to the ladies who forgot to

First one that comes to mind is a lot of kids move to a different school between MS & HS, and to a lesser extent between elementary & MS. When you put an elementary kid on your MS team, that kid may not even attend your MS.

Plus, at that age, they all develop at different speeds.

tinkerbellandeeyor likes this.
  14. Disney_traveler

Disney_traveler Registered

No matter what the age is/ages are: those that are stronger players get team/positions first, more play time, starter positions, etc. life isn't everybody wins/gets what they want. All must learn to work hard and better themselves or risk being cut.

15. sam_gordon

sam_gordon DIS Veteran

But someone who plays MS in 6th grade may move to a different school for 7th grade. So I'm not following your logic.

16. dosekies

dosekies Mouseketeer

Where I am from they never allowed those in elementary school to play on the middle school team or those in middle school to play on the high school team. However, I do think that middle school is the age where sports actually become competitive if they are not already. If the district is allowing this, then I would be completely ok with cutting a middle schooler to allow a 5th grader on the team if they are a better player. There are tryouts for a reason and not everyone should be on the team just because they want to be.

17. pryncess527

pryncess527 DIS Veteran

The concept of letting a student play sports for a school other than the one they attend is foreign to me.

18. Soldier's*Sweeties

Soldier's*Sweeties DIS Veteran

I disagree with it for school teams. The middle school team is the middle school team and the HS teams are the HS teams...

The younger kids who are good enough to play with the older kids have club and competition teams.

19. bookgirl

bookgirl DIS Veteran

I think anyone who wants to play up (5th-8th) should demonstrate a skill set that is on par with the team level but basically it should be a let as many people play as possible at the MS level.

Once you hit HS it should be skill set and the best players get positions at the level they are best suited for, Fresh/JV/Varsity

20. Hikergirl

Hikergirl DIS Veteran

The same can be said for when they are in MS or HS though.
    I agree they all do develop at different speeds, and those who develop faster and who are better would be the ones who end up being picked to play up.
    This is no different than travel rec leagues where you can play up a year, or even 2 in some cases.

I just don't see the big deal, if a kid shows an ability then I see no reason for him not to be allowed to play. I don't think this is a very common thing, but even if was I'd be OK with it.

21. Hikergirl

Hikergirl DIS Veteran

Really? Even when I was younger you were allowed to play for the JV team before you were in HS.