Those of you that stay at DLR hotels, I need HELP!

I've never stayed at the Grand Californian, but I stayed at Paradise Pier last year. I absolutely loved it there and did not feel that the walk was long at all. I love the beach theme that they have at Paradise Pier, and the park view is amazing (I happened to be upgraded for free). I have stayed at the Disneyland Hotel (Marina tower) twice and was not that impressed. I like the atmosphere at Paradise Pier better.

I agree with this poster. i happen to like Paradise Pier over the disneyland Hotel. BUT... We stayed at GCH in December for 5 days and LOVED IT. But we also didn't pay he price since we are DVC members. If you can swing GCH then go for it.

I agree with this poster. i happen to like Paradise Pier over the disneyland Hotel. BUT... We stayed at GCH in December for 5 days and LOVED IT. But we also didn't pay he price since we are DVC members. If you can swing GCH then go for it.

THanks for the input. I'm going to price it out. I wish Getaway today had pricing for 2009. I'll just have to call Disney travel.

If you can swing it, sounds like the GCH would be perfect for you. It's beautiful and we love it. Just too pricey for us to stay there every time!

We have stayed at the GCH 3 times and I LOVE it. If we could afford to stay there everytime, we would. So I say if you can swing it, I would definitely pick there.

I was so inspired by this post I just called 956-MICKEY and upgraded to the GCH. I rarely use smilies but this calls for them! :cool1: :banana: :yay:

The rate is what not what I would call great so I am totally banking on the August AP rates to come through for me but we are officially booked!

Happy dancing until the AmEx bill comes!!!

I was so inspired by this post I just called 956-MICKEY and upgraded to the GCH. I rarely use smilies but this calls for them! :cool1: :banana: :yay:

The rate is what not what I would call great so I am totally banking on the August AP rates to come through for me but we are officially booked!

Happy dancing until the AmEx bill comes!!!

Sounds like I really can't go wrong with GCH!! Thanks so much for all of the input.

FYI after reading reviews on Trip Advisor, they all rave about the GCH too!! Not often does that happen.

Also a little tidbit, we stayed at the Poly in WDW a year ago, and I GIVE THAT RAVE REVIEWS!! It was unbelievable!!

Thanks so much for all of the input, I think I'm sold now!!

PP has a subtle theme where DLH is in my mind the old school Disney property, emphasis on the OLD. The hotel is from the 60's, it is in dire need of a refurb. The rooms are bigger than GCH because they are older, they are also very noisy.
I've stayed once at the PPH and 3 times at the DLH. At the DLH we stayed the first time in a room next to the elevator, and I was really worried about the noise, both from the elevator and people coming and going all night long. But the room was really quiet, thankfully. I think this was maybe the 6th floor?

The second time we stayed on a lower level (2nd or 3rd), and we heard a lot of noise from outside; people standing outside the DLH entrance to smoke, people rolling carts and luggage across the walkway, or talking loudly to one another.

The last trip we stayed on the 9th floor, in the last room next to the ice and pop machines. Again, I was worried the noise, but it wasn't an issue that time, either.

Basically I'd ask for a room higher than 3rd floor to minimize the noise from outside, that was our only issue.

Our stay at the PPH was nice as well, and we were fairly high up and had a lovely view of DCA! :goodvibes

But the kids love the DLH pool and all the theming. I honestly hadn't expected them to care about the theming, but DS7 noticed every little thing! He asked for a DLH comforter for his birthday. :lmao:

Sounds like you have made up your mind, but for what its worth, we travel a lot, have just come back from an extended trip through California, Hawaii and Texas, anad we stayed at a very wide variety of hotels - from Quality Inns near freeways, to the westin on waikiki beach, Doubletree suites, upmarket hotels on union Square, very average all suites in San Diego etc etc....and the GCH won hands down for service, comfort...and of course location!, We were surprised it was so good - let's face it, with its location, it could be average and still be full most of the year. We have also stayed at DLH on other occasions, and I do prefer the GCH as a hotel (obviously if you want max Disney then DLh is ahead here)

it was almost completely full on our stay, but it never seemd overwhelming or noisy. Room service was prompt and good, rooms were well cleaned with nice touches (the wicker baskets for towels etc are a fantastic idea.) My daughter's teddy bear went missing...and they found it!

We couldn't get concierge service, but took a regular room with a courtyard view - great room location. We are now spoilt for future visits.....

Our family usually stay at the DLH. We have always had a good stay. Last year when we went I was extremely ill when I got there. The front desk CM's were so wonderful. They got us into our room before 10 AM even though check in is at 3 PM. The next morning when DH went downstairs the next mornign to put our laptop in the safe they asked how I was and if I was feeling better. It was trip for my DM's 70 birthday and they were great. Mousekeeping has always been good. I have to ask which tower did you stay in? We have stayed in the Marina and the Sierra tower. I can't remeber their new names. Now DH and I are going on a second honeymoon in September and I can't decide whether we are going to stay in the GCH this trip because it is just the two of us instead of the 6 of us.

Michele
:goodvibes

I wasn't going to, but I have to jump in with my question.

I might be getting APs this winter, in which case I would love to do a trip in 09 and stay on-site with the special AP rates they sometimes release. I had pretty much settled on DLH but all this talk of being run-down and old has me re-thinking. There is just no way I can afford GCH unless I can get a rate like $150/night, and I just don't see that happening.

I was thinking the glowing tink dust will be cool and DD will love the pool area. The idea is to be immersed in Disney! So is staying on-site at the DLH really worth the extra cost?

Are special AP rates available in October or is Oct becoming too busy and not so off-peak?

You know I am not sure but I think that maybe in the begining of October they are available, but near Halloween no they won't be available.

Michele

Actually I think the rates were offered from September to early December last year so that would include Halloween time, depending on availability...

I might be wrong but I think I just read this somewhere...

Actually I think the rates were offered from September to early December last year so that would include Halloween time, depending on availability...

I might be wrong but I think I just read this somewhere...

Out of curiosity how much is the discount for AP's? Does anybody know?

Michele

I love the Grand! But we stay there as DVC members, so the cost isn't a huge issue. We're staying at the Disneyland Hotel next month. I'm afraid I'm going to be disappointed though, since we're used to the Grand.

Can we still use the entrance to DCA through the Grand?

I love the Grand! But we stay there as DVC members, so the cost isn't a huge issue. We're staying at the Disneyland Hotel next month. I'm afraid I'm going to be disappointed though, since we're used to the Grand.

Yes you can I asked Disney Travel earlier. I really LOVE the DLH. I consider it the place to stay. Especially when we have the kids along. I am still wavering on DH and I's second honeymoon. The GCH looks so inviting to me. And much more romantic. But also much more expensive.

Michele
:wizard:

Yes you can. We did it last month when we stayed at the Disneyland Hotel. You just need to be staying at any of their 3 hotels. :)

Yes you can. We did it last month when we stayed at the Disneyland Hotel. You just need to be staying at any of their 3 hotels. :)

That is correct. All they do is ask to see your room key, which doesn't say which hotel you stay at... should be no problem

We love the GC!

By the way, they dont allow youth groups to stay there, so it is often the quietest hotel on the property. There were high school graduation trips there the last 2 times we were at DL. They packed them in at the DLH and PP, but we were told they were not allowed to stay at the GC, not even allowed to hang out in the lobby! Boy were we glad we stayed there -- it was a quiet trip for us!

We love the GC!

By the way, they dont allow youth groups to stay there, so it is often the quietest hotel on the property. There were high school graduation trips there the last 2 times we were at DL. They packed them in at the DLH and PP, but we were told they were not allowed to stay at the GC, not even allowed to hang out in the lobby! Boy were we glad we stayed there -- it was a quiet trip for us!

That's good to know~~!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter