Thoroughly confused about getting to parks early

CapnJacksGirl

Mom to two little scalliwags!
We have always been loyal Disney transportation guests. We love not having to drive anywhere. We're also early risers and love being among the first at the tapstiles. For this trip, I have absolutely no clue what to do. We'll be there Feb 27-Mar 3, staying at OKW. Seeing as we only have one full day at each park, plus an arrival afternoon for whichever park we choose to visit, we want to maximize our park time. We sleep when we get home. LOL

I have seen the following things in my attempts to figure out what to do:

--reports of guests being let into the parks and sometimes onto attractions 45 minutes to an hour prior to the posted opening times
--the WDW website states that buses begin running only 45 minutes before scheduled opening
--reports of people waiting at their resort bus stop for an hour+, thinking they would get to the parks before guests are let in, only to get there long after that
--reports of guests driving in being held at the parking entrance for long periods of time
--people saying it's best to Uber/Lyft and also people saying Uber/Lyft gets stuck in the same parking entrance
--people recommending you Uber to some location near the park entrance and walk (Speedway for HS entry, requiring a sketchy jaywalking situation?)

How are people getting to the parks an hour (or more) before scheduled open? Is Skyliner the only way to make it happen? And obviously, that's just for Epcot and HS. I'm just lost. And frustrated. If I need to rent a car, I'll rent a car. If I need to Uber/Lyft, I'll do that. I just need some advice! (And if people who have been this month have info on what time guests are actually getting into each park, that would be super-duper too!)

In early Dec, they were letting guest in about 45min early. We walked from BCV to HS and EP which was great. Basically first in line. The buses should be running an hr before posted opening. By time you get to the parks, it's a short wait before temp check and tapstile. I do know they were holding cars longer at the parking lots.

We drove to every park for rope drop, except Epcot, from Riviera. They allowed cars to line up about an hour before park open and opened the gates about 10-15 minutes later. One thing that happened on our HS day was that the skyliner wasn’t running as we drove into the parking area. It started up about the time we parked, so we beat that traffic.

When we went the busses ran earlier at times than even what was posted for the CMs at the resort stop. We ended up at Epcot an hour early one morning and literally the first guests through the temp screen and in the park that day. Parking entrance was held.

Because there is a limit to how early you can execute your trip to the park, there is a big element of chance regarding making rope drop.

(There is also a limit to how late you can execute your trip, namely the rope drop itself.)

So do not feel bad about being confused.

Thanks for all the comments!

I'm giving some thought to taking a Lyft from OKW to BW or BC and walking to Epcot and HS on the days we plan to go there and also from OKW to CR for MK. That will save us from the unreliability of the bus situation at this point and get us there earlier too. We will likely just have to take the bus to AK and hope for the best. We're going at what I expect to not be a super busy time (Sat Feb 27 - Wed Mar 3....after President's Week and before most spring breaks) so we should be good at AK without being some of the first in line.

I probably shouldn't even worry about it, but we've done it for more than a decade now and we really enjoy being there early. My nephew has gone with us a couple of times when he was little and he still begins his WDW stories with "we got up early and went to the parks....we had to wait in line to get in but I played and had snacks with my cousins." Sometimes it's the odd little memories that are the best ones.

We are wondering this too. We are on property but have a car and plan to RD HS, AK and MK. We'll bus to MK (my husband will have the car that day). but totally lost on AK and HS. We're at AKL and have a 2 yo that needs a car seat, so our options are park or bus.

I'm hearing that you can't just Uber to the other resorts without a dining reservation or mobile order. Has anyone confirmed that?

And some resort locations will not accept entry with mobile order...just depends on the mood of the castmember (not really , he prob is following security guidelines. Probably stricter with SkyLiner resorts or water taxi or walk from MK or walkway from GF... etc.

That’s why we are all confused.

Last edited:
Well where does an Uber driver drop you off if they won't let you in the resort that put down when you ordered the ride?

Thanks for all the comments!

I'm giving some thought to taking a Lyft from OKW to BW or BC and walking to Epcot and HS on the days we plan to go there and also from OKW to CR for MK. That will save us from the unreliability of the bus situation at this point and get us there earlier too. We will likely just have to take the bus to AK and hope for the best. We're going at what I expect to not be a super busy time (Sat Feb 27 - Wed Mar 3....after President's Week and before most spring breaks) so we should be good at AK without being some of the first in line.

I probably shouldn't even worry about it, but we've done it for more than a decade now and we really enjoy being there early. My nephew has gone with us a couple of times when he was little and he still begins his WDW stories with "we got up early and went to the parks....we had to wait in line to get in but I played and had snacks with my cousins." Sometimes it's the odd little memories that are the best ones.

If you‘re going to Uber or Lyft to walk to HS have them drop you at the Speedway and walk from there. Really easy, short walk that takes you right to the walkway from the BW.Do a search on YouTube for it. Just put in walk from Speedway to Hollywood Studios.

I was there last week and relied solely on Disney busses (CSR).

We arrived at the bus stops approximately 75-85 minutes before opening. we were on the first bus to MK, HS and AK within 10 minutes of arriving at the bus stop each day. Got to parks with a short wait at the temp check—-less than 5 minutes each time. In the parks approximately 50 minutes early each day. Rode all the headliners with unbelievable efficiency.

Definitely worth the extra early wake up times, given the early closing everywhere. Enjoyed very relaxing noon to 2 pm each day, then park hopped. YMMV, but we intend to repeat our plan next month!

If you‘re going to Uber or Lyft to walk to HS have them drop you at the Speedway and walk from there. Really easy, short walk that takes you right to the walkway from the BW.Do a search on YouTube for it. Just put in walk from Speedway to Hollywood Studios.

That’s what we did early December. Google map satellite view the paths (there is only one “fork in the road” (and you go right)).

In December you could not RD HS if you arrived by car or bus.

Before the Skyliner began running, the walkers were held right by the station. We did HS twice and both times we arrived 90 minutes before official park open. The dozen or so groups who walked either from the Epcot Resorts or from Speedway were then moved up to queue in front of the temp screen temps just as the Skyliner loaded passengers. Just as we got to the temp screen tent, passengers were disembarking the Skyliner from CBR. They joined the queue behind us. Then the parking lot opened with two Orange County Sheriff Dept vehicles acting as pace cars. Just as the first parkers turned off their engines, we were let into the temp screen tent, security scanner and main entrance. Upon entry, the entire park was open. We were the first into GE and took some empty park photos and rode SR 3x and ate the breakfast Ronto Wrap before official park open time.

The Speedway address is 300 E Buena Vista Dr. and ask to be dropped off near the driveway access to Epcot Resorts Blvd. crossing the street isn’t much of an issue early in the morning. Google satellite view shows a walkway in front of Speedway but I don’t think it was there in December due to construction.

You really can't blame Disney for closing resorts to only those with business being there....trying to access a park isn't 'business'. And to the best of my knowledge, you need to have a room reservation there or an ADR...I'm seeing a lot of those with mobile orders being denied!
So, I would plan on taking buses, from your resort to the park of your choice. Yes, the Disney site says 45 mins prior to park opening but most of us fully realize that's a guideline!!! More likely than not, you will be able to enter the park prior to official park opening. And if not? You'll be among the first to enter when it does open.
Suggesting heading to the Speedway station isn't a 'bad' idea, but seriously? Only a matter of time Disney figures out a way to stop that practice....such as having to stop at the guard shack and swipe your magic band. Way too much trouble.

Since we only have one day per park, instead of the 1.5 or 2 we usually have for each during a trip, we want to maximize our time. The hours are so short at the end of Feb/first of March! (HS - 10-7, MK 9-6, AK 9-5, Epcot 11-7)

Here's my plan at this point, given that we will not have a car:

HS - somebody on another board posted a video of the walk from Speedway to HS so that is definitely my plan for that day. I agree that that plan will get nixed at some point, but if it hasn't by the end of February, you'll find me crossing the street there at about 8-8:30.
Epcot - I had planned to Lyft to Boardwalk but was told you can't get into Boardwalk unless you are a guest. I'm thinking maybe Lyft to Swan/Dolphin then walk.....or chance it with the bus. If someone knows of a better/shorter walk option than Swan/Dolphin, I'd love to hear it!
MK - again I thought I was going to be cute and Lyft to Contemporary but same deal there....can't get in without being a guest or having ADR. Probably bus there too.
AK - I don't think there is an option other than bus

I know a lot of folks think getting to the parks super early is crazy but we have done it on every single trip for 15 years and we love it. And with park hours so short, we want to knock out as many of the longer wait attractions as possible right away and move on to everything else. We'll probably loop back around to some of those at the end of the day too, if reports of shorter lines at those times continue, but I don't like having to count on that OR spend an hour midday in a line.

I really appreciate everyone's comments! It's very helpful!!

What issue will Disney have with Speedway walkers? I am planning to do it next week. What about people who do have a breakfast reservation at the Boardwalk or such? Will they not be allowed to walk there unless they have an actual resort reservation?

What issue will Disney have with Speedway walkers? I am planning to do it next week. What about people who do have a breakfast reservation at the Boardwalk or such? Will they not be allowed to walk there unless they have an actual resort reservation?

I don't think it will necessarily be Disney that makes walking from Speedway impossible, though it might be. Maybe Disney closes off the walkway that links you from Epcot Resorts Blvd to the path from HS to the Boardwalk area. I think the business owners or whoever controls pedestrian traffic in that area may do something to keep people from crossing there. If that becomes a somewhat common practice, liability will fall somewhere beyond just the people who choose to cross the road there. Sadly that's the way the world works these days. I expect to be able to walk from Speedway next month but I will be surprised if we still can a year from now.

Last edited:
I don't think it will necessarily be Disney that makes walking from Speedway impossible, though it might be. Maybe Disney closes off the walkway that links you from Buena Vista Ave to the path from HS to the Boardwalk area. I think the business owners or whoever controls pedestrian traffic in that area may do something to keep people from crossing there. If that becomes a somewhat common practice, liability will fall somewhere beyond just the people who choose to cross the road there. Sadly that's the way the world works these days. I expect to be able to walk from Speedway next month but I will be surprised if we still can a year from now.
Right. Well hoping to do it next week.

What about people who do have a breakfast reservation at the Boardwalk or such? Will they not be allowed to walk there unless they have an actual resort reservation?
Walking in is not a problem at all, and people with ADRs such as at Trattoria al Forno are allowed to drive in or be dropped off without problem. People with mobile orders at Boardwalk Bakery are sometimes allowed in and sometimes not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter