This Trip Report Is Under Refurbishment For Your Future Enjoyment (UPDATED 4/4)

Discussion in 'Disney Trip Reports' started by Captain_Oblivious, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Captain_Oblivious

Captain_Oblivious DIS Dad #257

Thank you and :welcome:

I'd say the buses were fine. No better or worse than any other resort. They have the boards at each stop to tell you when the next one is due, so that's helpful. I tried to stay in the Cabanas, which were closest to the main building and the last bus stop on the line before heading to the parks--but they were under refurbishment at the time. They're opening the new high rise there this year so I don't know if that will change anything or not.

Gotta take the good and bad with Disney.

So...is there anything about it that doesn't appeal to you? I'm curious as to what might have turned you off. To me, it's rides/land themed like Star Wars. Sounds cool to me.

I can honestly say I've never watched them. So I have no idea. They do look a little weird compared to classic Mickey and Minnie.

:rotfl2: That's a good way to put it!

Yep...that was my first time. Won't be my last, though!

I like to give shout-outs when I can. Those who know will get the joke.:thumbsup2

I can see that being an issue there.

Well, they hadn't been there since 2012. They were a lot younger then. So we didn't let them stay up late every night.

But pie is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

[​IMG]

2. pkondz

pkondz . . Dis Dad #797 . . Hoping to get lucky

know u wouldn't
    just having fun :)

was almost positive that the club wasn't affected

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. QueenJen

QueenJen Mouseketeer

Great first ride photo. You and Sarah look like you are having a blast. Scotty looks like he is trying to keep a brave face and Dave....well, he looks like what did I do to myself? Glad everyone liked it in the end.

Sometimes it's just nice to spend time the way that works for you. Touring with others can be fun - but it can also make you appreciate your own family time even more.

Sorry your server was a dud - great that the other server included your family with the rest of his tables.

5. SoccerDogWithEars

SoccerDogWithEars DIS Veteran

There's nothing in particular. I think a good portion of it comes from the fact that we were on our honeymoon the week after Pandora opened, and the crowds were INSANE so my favorite park I couldn't really enjoy because there were just people everywhere. And I'm imagining that multiplied exponentially because Star Wars. I'm not terribly sad that we potentially won't be back for the next couple of years and hope the hype will die down.

They run a loop of them on one of the resort channels, and we had them on as background one night. I had a horrified expression on the entire time before Joe finally just told me to turn it off if they bothered me that much.

And Fantasmic is the ultimate battle between good and evil and full of magic. It is hands down without a doubt my favorite Disney attraction. I basically have it memorized.

6. Captain_Oblivious

Definitely worth a visit, especially if you've never done it before.

I have absolutely no problem with waiting until then to see it. It won't be worth the crowds at opening, for sure.

For the life of me, I couldn't figure out what the point of the storyline was in that ride.

:wave2: :rotfl2:

My kids actually guilted me into Splash Mountain on this trip. It had been many years since I'd been on it.

They really build up the anticipation. It's hard not to get nervous. I'm sure many sadists would tell you that's part of the "fun", right?

I was so glad I didn't look like a wuss! :rotfl:

Well, his head moved and he did beep. But how exactly are you supposed to respond to that?:confused3

Sounds like he definitely plays the part. My crew had fun with it.

True. In this case, the A/C trumped all.

party::jumping1::woohoo::banana:

Yeah, the green things are a problem. I wonder how many are rotting in the seat cushions.

I have never understood the appeal of chicken pot pie. It's like pie, but...much worse.

It really does depend on the server. We've typically had really good luck there. And we like the food a lot.

:rolleyes1

Well, now you know what to look for.

No character meet is worth that. Like I said earlier, I'm looking forward to when Drew is too old for these things.

Nice work! I usually justify it if I really like the shirt figuring it's vacation and you're supposed to splurge. But yeah, sometimes the prices are outrageous.

I'm ok to skip it. I was surprised they built such a large stage for performers and then made such little use of it, preferring to show movie clips on the water screen.

But heavy on the fire! ::yes:: :rockband:

:scared1: Not my driver!!!

Terra Nova guy likes this.
  7. docsoliday1

docsoliday1 DIS Dad #834 Cubs, Dolphins fan forever

We never said you didn't look like a wuss.
    :duck:

If all you've ever had are store bought pot pies, I can understand that. DW makes one that's amazing. Is there a yum or drool emoji?

Of course not. I would never use them on your driver. Sand wedge maybe.
    ;)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  8. Captain_Oblivious

I didn't see the back story on this until later. Hope you're ok!

It wouldn't surprise anyone at this point, would it?

A day...maybe 2.

It is to me, at least.

Right. Unless you do the launch like RnRC. I find that to be the preferred option.

Worst I had it was whale-watching in Maine many years ago. I thought that excursion would never end.

Welp, that's it. I'm packing it in and going to live in a cabin somewhere.

No, I'm just not one for confrontation.

Looking back, I'm almost sure that was it.

Me too, but I use that line a lot.

With Toy Story Land and then Star Wars, I'm guessing it will finally be a full-day park. They'll finally have enough attractions to fill the day.

I seem to recall somebody saying this somewhere...:rolleyes1

docsoliday1 likes this.
  9. docsoliday1

docsoliday1 DIS Dad #834 Cubs, Dolphins fan forever

Nope, never heard that anywhere before, certainly not one of your TRs. Don't know what you're talking about. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

10. Captain_Oblivious

It cracks me up that Dave basically looks like this in every single ride photo we took. I was so worried I would look like I was totally freaked out.

::yes::

I'm almost sure that they had an understanding that the one server was basically running the room. It makes sense that way.

I wouldn't be caught dead at a new park opening. We were at Toy Story Land only 3 weeks after it opened, and I was surprised that the crowds weren't terrible. I was expecting the worst. I think Star Wars may actually be worse than Harry Potter when that opened in terms of crowds. So I don't mind waiting a couple of years to see it. I don't need to be first.

Huh. I really have no idea. I don't think Drew has watched them at all. Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is more his speed.

Ah, now I see. I was poking a sensitive spot for you there. Well, to each their own.

That reminds me of one my favorite Simpsons quotes, when Homer was learning golf.

Mr. Burns: Use an open-faced club, Simpson! The sand wedge!

Home: Mmmm...open-faced club sandwich...

11. Captain_Oblivious

That's ok. I steal all my best lines anyway.

12. pkondz

Doing okay. Relieved to type with two hands again. Several scars and blisters, but doing okay.

Nope!

So then this would be okay? (Top Thrill Dragster, Cedar Point Sandusky)
    [​IMG]

I can understand that. I went shark diving in Hawaii and was fine until the trip back. Then I was miserable. I managed to keep it together, but man was I happy when we got back to dry land.

If you can find it.

I've noticed... and every time, for whatever reason, I think of Jackie Gleason in Smokey and the Bandit.

[​IMG]

I think that's why they put so much effort into that park. They know there's not much there since they took out rides.

13. Captain_Oblivious

Yuck. 2nd degree...that's some serious pain, right there. Hope it heals quickly.

That appears to incorporate a very big drop. So...no.

I used to watch "Bert the Conqueror" on Travel Channel, and he rode that very coaster. He experienced what they call a "rollback"--i.e., the coaster doesn't quite get enough momentum to make it over the top and rolls backwards to the start. It was pretty funny to watch his reaction.

There's no better feeling! I have a photo of me kissing the ground when we returned from whale-watching.

Well, I never ask for directions, so...yeah.

Also acceptable. I actually never saw that movie, though.

I agree. I think they also knew it needed more family rides that everyone could do together.

14. Lancemidtx

Lancemidtx Earning My Ears

This MIGHT be one of the best TR's I've read in a really long time...keep it going! :)

15. pkondz

Getting better. :)

;)

:lmao: I can only imagine!

“Am I going to die now?”

:laughing: post it!

You... you... you’ve never seen Smokey and the Bandit???

That’s... Un-American!!!

juniorbugman likes this.
  16. franandaj

franandaj I'm so happy, I could BOUNCE!

I'll have to remind my parents about that afternoon rain shower. We will mostly be in the parks when that rolls along....

I hope that exhibit is still there now, I would definitely go see that. We have some time in between our FP+ and I want sure what we would do to kill time. That works.

I'll be happy to see that too. Fran was a big fan of the GMR, but I'll be happy for something new.

I can see your kids not having been on the ride, but how could you have not tried it????? :confused3 I made FP+ for my whole party and my Dad is likely the only one who will try it with me. I'll use the other two myself if there is time!

You are too considerate! :laughing: Fran brings her tablet and reads while I'm on the rides, then again we are AP holders and live half an hour from Disneyland.

I know, get this thing going!

I'm glad you got the right answer. :teeth:

:lmao: Our meeting with R2D2 was more fun than that!

I had an interesting encounter with him as well, but he didn't bark! :laughing:

Wwe go have an adult beverage to enjoy the AC. :drinking:

Best. Fried. Chicken. Ever. (well besides the Plaza Inn)

Didn't I just say that?

That's too bad.

Sounds like Uncle Eric more than made up for it!

:scratchin: I'm glad it was a fun day, and nice that it's becoming more and more of a full day park.

OMG! I have to meet Baby Groot!

That's a good reason to see it.

I agree with you on the Florida Show. The one in DL is still awesome.

I can see how that would make for a great experience.

:lmao: Says the Canadian! :lmao:

17. Steppesister

Steppesister DIS Veteran

I'm so glad they kept it too!!! SO. Glad. And if you liked that, you are going to ADORE the Disney Family Museum. :)

Well, sadly, I'm in the I-Loved-GMR Camp. I kinda wish they'd ADDED the coaster not replaced the other. Yeah, GMR need a refurb... badly, but still liked the concept.

:dancer:

Can't do that one much anymore with my rotten neck, but glad you got to try it and loved it.

Woot.

(boooooooooooooooring)

Been there once, and I'd agree, the chicken was pretty darned good! I'd go back. In fact, it's on the list for the Sept. Trip.

Man, this guy was on FIRE! I'm so going to ask for him when we go.

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Whoa... you have a comical genius on your hands.

That was hysterical!

I don't meet characters all that often, but this just went on my list.

Meh. I'm with you. No desire to see that again whatsoever. It's okay. Once.

:banana:

I love the day you had here. You did some really great stuff and had such a nice time together. The perfect Disney Day!!

18. Captain_Oblivious

:welcome: And thank you! So if it MIGHT be one of the best, what would get me there for certain? Bribes?

Glad to hear it!

I think he had a lot more words bleeped out, but basically yeah.

I'll have to find it and scan it. It was from back when Julie and I were first married!

Meh. Never had a big desire to see it, to be honest.

19. Captain_Oblivious

You can almost set your watch by it. Especially in the summer.

I would imagine it will stay at least until the attraction opens.

Whatever charms the GMR had were completely lost on me.

I didn't want to make them wait for me! Felt selfish.

Right. I have 1 week every 5 years, so we're trying to do as much as we can together as a family.

Whew. I didn't know there was going to be a test.

I would hope so!

Well, not literally, but you know...

Also a valid choice.

I see what you did there.

Do you ever get that feeling of deja vu?

My guess is that our server knew that it was Uncle Eric's room, so she backed off and let him have the spotlight.

They needed the new attractions badly. I think it really helped.

That was cute, for sure.

About the only one I could think of! :rotfl:

I missed that one. Guess we'll have to go back!

Yeah, what's up with that? :rotfl2:

20. pkondz

Might be problematic.

Worth seeing if a bit dated.

21. Captain_Oblivious

I'm looking forward to seeing it!

Different strokes for different folks. I just didn't get that one at all.

That was so much fun! Can't wait to do it again.

Yeah. I don't feel the need to go back.

I love that place. It's one of my favorites.

He was so much fun! I haven't laughed that hard in a while.

Dave is usually the quiet one, too!

The bit with Scotty's hat was funny. Other than that, I don't know if it was anything special.

Yep. Lots of movie clips.

That was a great day. And a real relief after the day that had preceded it.

Steppesister likes this.