"This is NOT the once in a lifetime trip I was hoping for!" - (Baby Simba - 12/18)

Art of Animation Review part 2  Little Mermaid Room

Art of Animation has two different types of room. The family suites, which can sleep up to 6, can be found in the Cars, Finding Nemo, and Lion King sections. If you want a standard room you must stay in the Little Mermaid section, which is the farthest section. Im posting the map again, so you can see the distance. The Little Mermaid rooms are in the buildings 7, 8 and 9, on the right side of the map.

AoAmap_zpsc05ce256.jpg

I didnt mind the walk because there is so much to look at, but I know Ron was bothered by it, mostly because we had to go back to the food court often to get hot water for the baby.

Our room had two double beds, and lots of Little Mermaid details.

AoAroom2_zpsdd3f268a.jpg

AoAroom_zpsa9143bf5.jpg

This is the dresser. The drawers on the right are actually fake. Its a door and behind it is the mini-fridge.

AoAroom4_zps7bbbaf96.jpg

We had called for a pack n play for Claudia to sleep in, but instead got a foldable crib. We placed it between the dresser and the sink area, in front of where a connecting door would have been.

AoAroom18_zps7233b5f7.jpg

At first we were happy to get a crib with a real mattress. Then we started noticing the flaws. The two main flaws were:
1. The mattress is much smaller than the crib, so there is a big gap in which the baby could fall. Its especially dangerous when you have a tiny little peanut like us. We tried placing towels, but it didnt work. We put some pillows instead, but I was quite worried she would just move over there, smooch her face in the pillow, and not be able to breathe.
2. The mattress was wobbly and had an angle. I guess thats what you get for having a mattress that folds in half, but it made it harder for Claudia to find a comfortable position to sleep, and not just roll over to one side.

AoAroom17_zpsadf35a9d.jpg

On the other side of the dresser is a little table area.

AoAroom13_zps3047bb52.jpg

There are some fake music sheets on the table.

AoAroom19_zps9aafdca7.jpg

Above the table is a mirror.

AoAroom14_zpsbef43cb2.jpg

A coat hanger.

AoAroom3_zpsdbfe21ed.jpg

More details

AoAroom11_zps1bd6a861.jpg

AoAroom12_zpsadee93da.jpg

There is a privacy curtain between the bedroom and the sink area. It helps keep the room dark while someone is using the sink/bathroom.

AoAroom10_zps95fe89a3.jpg

AoAroom9_zps82a3d236.jpg

AoAroom8_zpsdf99d0db.jpg

This is the sink area. In the mirror you can see the safe in the wall, which was quite small. It opens with a code (the one at Beach Club opened with a key. And you better not lose that key or youll pay a hefty fee).

AoAroom5_zps12ace53a.jpg

I did not take any pictures of the actual bathroom, but its your standard toilet & tub. Here is the shower curtain.

AoAroom6_zps71b8e0d1.jpg

This is the wall in the shower.

AoAroom7_zps6f58581b.jpg

The ONLY thing I was disappointed about in terms of theming is the lack of hidden Mickeys. I only found this one, but at least its a full Mickey.

AoAhiddenmickey_zps6b0a698f.jpg

I also found what I think is a hidden Sebastian (shadow), but everyone else thinks its just kelp.

AoAhiddenmickey2_zpsc7f35f0e.jpg

Apparently there is one more hidden Mickey. If you look above at the picture of the entire shower wall, there seems to be a HM to the left of the metal bar.

Thats it for the pictures. As for the room itself, we did find it small with a baby. We were so disorganized in that room. Part of it is because we did not take the time to organize (we were only there 2 nights), but it also was hard to find a place to set up our bottle washing station with there being just one sink. We also had no real area to change her diaper. We just did it on the floor or the bed. If we had had just two kids instead of a baby and all the extra gear that comes with it, we probably would have been fine.

Up Next, A Walking Tour of AoA

The room is GORGEOUS!!! I love how much theming they did, with even the table top and shower walls being LM. A lot more theming than POP has.

I can certainly understand being concerned with that crib and mattress. :eek:

LOVE LOVE LOVE the pictures of The Little Mermaid Room. I just called Mark and told them how adorable they are, but he wants to stay in a Nemo room. I told him those are only suites, so now he has decided he doesn't want to stay there. Can I just say the man will drive me nuts!!!!!

Since it's only two nights during his business trip and one park day, maybe we'll stay at Pop? I'll have to see what's available as I won't be able to book until March when he knows exactly when we are going.

Back to the photos...I just love ALL of the detail and the chairs are so cute.

Loving all the LM room details! It looks like Maddie's dream come true!

The walk does seem pretty long, I think it would be especially hard at the end of a park day.

Oh, I really love the theming in there!! I wish they had made some suites in the Little Mermaid theme instead of just the regular rooms.

We like the water--if we get to stay at AoA, we're going Nemo section all the way!:thumbsup2

Since it's like Pop, I'm guessing that walk is about the same as going from the 80s/90s section to the food court, and yeah, that's a pretty annoying walk if you have to do it over and over. I'm glad we always pack our electric kettle for Pop in case we get a far away room! We don't have to fly, though, so that's probably not a possibility for you.

I'm excited about a walking tour! I know there will be a million amazing details on the outside, too.

Subbing. i read your PTR and I guess I should go back and read the rest of your TRs...you just have a knack for bringing everything to life!!!.

My DD is 14 and is into anime and all thinks Japanese as well. She listens to J-Pop and K-Pop. I think she is more excited for the Japan Pavillion at Epcot than she is about ANYTHING at MK and she's never been. October will be here first trip.

She and DH are both recovering from the flu right now. I am so sorry you were so sick.....this flu is ROUGH!!!!

I'm in too that had to be rough being sick right before your trip. I read through your other TR's and loved them your family is so adorable and it seems like you guys always enjoy you're self's there. We are going in 28 days, :banana: It will be DDs 4th time going and this time we are taking my mother with us. she is in a wheelchair so it will be a challenge but totally worth it. I'm just hoping we can get a hotel room we still don't have one booked yet :scared1: and wont be able to until we are about ten days out from our trip. I can't wait for more updates!!!!!

Wow, Art of Animation is so cool! The details! It's so Disney and colorful, I love it! :love:
I totally understand what you mean about having a smaller hotel room with a baby though! When we went to the Bahamas, it was difficult washing cups and bottles and baby spoons, I kept having to go down to one of the restuarants and get dish soap, thankfully everyone was super nice and accomadating but it definitely wasn't the easiest. I love having at least a kitchenette. Plus then when she naps, where do you go ya know? We would push her P&P in the little hallway and hide on the bed till she fell asleep :lmao:

One little tip with the hot water, run the coffee maker without coffee and you'll have just hot water, it works in a pinch :thumbsup2

I love your AoA review! That's too bad about the crib mattress being too small, I would have just let the baby sleep with me on the bed! :rotfl: (Although I know that's a bad habit to get into!)

I love that shower area in the LM rooms, so pretty! I really hope I get to stay there again so I can explore the other areas!

I've been lurking and loving your TR so far. I can't wait to read more.

I'm delurking to let you know about this tiny little gem that could help you in the future, if you want to heat water in your room without it taking up much packing space. It's a little metal blob that you immerse in a cup of water and it heats it up in a few minutes. Pretty nifty for traveling. :)

http://www.amazon.com/NORPRO-559-Immersion-Warming-Liquids/dp/B000I8VE68/

I'm shocked too. I don't get it. Maybe they thought the castle did not look like a "house" enough?

I have 4 more AoA updates, so I have quite a bit of pictures. You can see after what I missed. All my pictures are at night though, I believe yours were taken during the day?

I thought of that too! The Castle was so pretty & detailed but maybe the people who voted were going for more of a "house" as you said. I'm searching online already for ideas of Gingerbread "Houses" for next year to make with the kids. This year we made our own Gingerbread instead of buying a kit at the store. It turned out pretty nice, but Luke was impatient and wouldn't wait for it to harden enough. Next year I'll put it in the fridge or make him wait. LOL I think I want to make something Disney next year!

I'll add some pics after you're done updating! And yes, you are correct! All of my pictures were taken during the day. We toured in the mid-afternoon before our Chef Mickey's ressie & I know that was at 4pm so it must have been around noon ?? Not sure, but we did eat lunch there so it must have been early afternoon.

I believe I have around 185 pics of just AoA but only the outside. I really enjoyed seeing your room pictures since we didn't get to go into an actual room while we were touring. I could've asked to see one, but it was just too much with the kids. It was cold outside that day & we were on our way to MK for a few hours before going to dinner.

I'm so sad to see they only have one sink. I'll have to check out pics of the suites because I'm not sure I can share a sink with my husband while on vacation. That's a privilege I do not have at home so I enjoy my double sinks on vaca!!! ;)

Did you guys have a chance to use the pool ?? It was FREEZING the day we toured & I could not believe people were in it!! It was fun to see people using the kids play area though even though I thought they were all crazy for being out! We had sweatshirts on & jeans and were still freezing! :scared1:

It is such a beautiful resort!!! I really enjoyed all the little details! I only wished it had been a warmer day so we could've stay there longer & really enjoyed walking around outside. I am really loving seeing your pics & seeing AoA again!!!! Can't wait for the next update!!!

Love your update! AoA looks awesome!! The themeing looks so awesome! And what a scary crib! I would have asked for a pack n play- while they are not my favorite I can understand your worry!! Can't wait to see more pics and hear about your trip!

AoA just looks so awesome! Thanks for sharing all the pictures.

AoA is a fabulous resort. I hope you get the chance to see it for yourself one day!

The room is GORGEOUS!!! I love how much theming they did, with even the table top and shower walls being LM. A lot more theming than POP has.

I can certainly understand being concerned with that crib and mattress. :eek:

It is by far the most themed resort I believe. I love it there!

I understand that you can't expect great quality with a folding crib, but that bad?

LOVE LOVE LOVE the pictures of The Little Mermaid Room. I just called Mark and told them how adorable they are, but he wants to stay in a Nemo room. I told him those are only suites, so now he has decided he doesn't want to stay there. Can I just say the man will drive me nuts!!!!!

Since it's only two nights during his business trip and one park day, maybe we'll stay at Pop? I'll have to see what's available as I won't be able to book until March when he knows exactly when we are going.

Back to the photos...I just love ALL of the detail and the chairs are so cute.

Ugh, men!!!! LOL I do think though that He might not appreciate the walk from the Little Mermaid rooms all the way to the lobby/food court. It is quite a hike.

You guys should totally try out POP! I'm sure you would get a kick out of seeing all of the memorablilia. It's so fun walking around looking at a giant jukebox, Rubik's cube, yo-yo and Mr Potato Head. Plus you can just walk across the bridge and visit Art of Animation. Both AoA and Pop have the best food court on property, and usually great bus service too.

Loving all the LM room details! It looks like Maddie's dream come true!

The walk does seem pretty long, I think it would be especially hard at the end of a park day.

Maddie would flip in those rooms! I can't see any kid that would not love the theming of AoA.

It is a long walk, but then again you've stayed at Caribbean Beach and I don't think it's any worse than the walk to Old Port Royal from say Aruba or Barbados. Plus, there is SO MUCH to look at during the walk. It's like Castaway Cay x10. You'll see in my next update.

Oh, I really love the theming in there!! I wish they had made some suites in the Little Mermaid theme instead of just the regular rooms.

We like the water--if we get to stay at AoA, we're going Nemo section all the way!:thumbsup2

Since it's like Pop, I'm guessing that walk is about the same as going from the 80s/90s section to the food court, and yeah, that's a pretty annoying walk if you have to do it over and over. I'm glad we always pack our electric kettle for Pop in case we get a far away room! We don't have to fly, though, so that's probably not a possibility for you.

I'm excited about a walking tour! I know there will be a million amazing details on the outside, too.

I too wish they had made some suites Little mermaid, and some standard room Cars, Nemo and Lion King.

Brynn will truly feel like an underwater princess in that Nemo section! :thumbsup2

You are correct, the walk is about the same as from the 80s/90s section at Pop. I wouldn't have minded if it had been like our honeymoon, when we only went tot he food court on the way to/from the park, but this time we did more back and forth. At least it was a pretty walk. Yeah, we fly and our space is pretty limited, so no electric kettle for you. Maybe one day we'll drive, but we'll have to buy a minivan first!

Subbing. i read your PTR and I guess I should go back and read the rest of your TRs...you just have a knack for bringing everything to life!!!.

My DD is 14 and is into anime and all thinks Japanese as well. She listens to J-Pop and K-Pop. I think she is more excited for the Japan Pavillion at Epcot than she is about ANYTHING at MK and she's never been. October will be here first trip.

She and DH are both recovering from the flu right now. I am so sorry you were so sick.....this flu is ROUGH!!!!

:welcome: Wow, thank you! That is such a nice compliment. It's so nice of you to say that, I had no idea! :goodvibes

OMG, your daughter and my step-daughter would get along so well together! I'm sure they could spend hours talking about anime and K-Pop! I can totally understand how your DD can be more excited about the Japan Pavilioon than MK. Otaku was like that. Wait until you see the picture I took of her just before going into the Japan store... Your DD will flip out!! Be prepared to spend hours in there.

I don't know why the flu is so much stronger this year!!! I hope your DD and DH feel better soon.

I'm in too that had to be rough being sick right before your trip. I read through your other TR's and loved them your family is so adorable and it seems like you guys always enjoy you're self's there. We are going in 28 days, :banana: It will be DDs 4th time going and this time we are taking my mother with us. she is in a wheelchair so it will be a challenge but totally worth it. I'm just hoping we can get a hotel room we still don't have one booked yet :scared1: and wont be able to until we are about ten days out from our trip. I can't wait for more updates!!!!!

:welcome: It was quite rough to start off the trip being sick. Thank you. I'm glad to hear you enjoy my TR. We do enjoy ourselves quite a bit. That's so cool that you are going back to WDW soon! :cool1: That's one lucky DD! I've never used them, but be sure to check into a GAC (guest assistance card) for your mother. I'm sure you will all enjoy your trip. I doubt you'll have a hard time finding a room, they always have something available, especially in winter.

Wow, Art of Animation is so cool! The details! It's so Disney and colorful, I love it! :love:
I totally understand what you mean about having a smaller hotel room with a baby though! When we went to the Bahamas, it was difficult washing cups and bottles and baby spoons, I kept having to go down to one of the restuarants and get dish soap, thankfully everyone was super nice and accomadating but it definitely wasn't the easiest. I love having at least a kitchenette. Plus then when she naps, where do you go ya know? We would push her P&P in the little hallway and hide on the bed till she fell asleep :lmao:

One little tip with the hot water, run the coffee maker without coffee and you'll have just hot water, it works in a pinch :thumbsup2

Exactly! I love how AoA is so Disney and colorful. It's perfect! :lovestruc
It would have been so nice to have a family suites or a DVC villa with at least a kitchenette. Oh well, live and learn! At least with the naps I'm lucky that DD fell asleep okay in the stroller, or even in the room with us around if she was tired enough.

I love your AoA review! That's too bad about the crib mattress being too small, I would have just let the baby sleep with me on the bed! :rotfl: (Although I know that's a bad habit to get into!)

I love that shower area in the LM rooms, so pretty! I really hope I get to stay there again so I can explore the other areas!

I would have let her sleep on the bed in a pinch, but it's not my preference. I'm such a light sleeper, and I have a really hard time sleeping in the same bed with anybody (besides my husband). I would have spent the whole night waking up worrying that I would roll on her, that the blankets would cover her head, that she'd move too much and roll off the bed, etc. Too stressful for me!

I hope you get to stay there again, and I hope I get to stay there again as well. :)

I've been lurking and loving your TR so far. I can't wait to read more.

I'm delurking to let you know about this tiny little gem that could help you in the future, if you want to heat water in your room without it taking up much packing space. It's a little metal blob that you immerse in a cup of water and it heats it up in a few minutes. Pretty nifty for traveling. :)

http://www.amazon.com/NORPRO-559-Immersion-Warming-Liquids/dp/B000I8VE68/

:welcome: I'm glad you are delurking and hope you'll continue posting comments. I love reading those! Thank you for that link. It really looks like a useful product! I don't know if we'll ever be traveling again with a baby that young, but if we do we'll keep that in mind. It would have saved so many trips to the food court!

I thought of that too! The Castle was so pretty & detailed but maybe the people who voted were going for more of a "house" as you said. I'm searching online already for ideas of Gingerbread "Houses" for next year to make with the kids. This year we made our own Gingerbread instead of buying a kit at the store. It turned out pretty nice, but Luke was impatient and wouldn't wait for it to harden enough. Next year I'll put it in the fridge or make him wait. LOL I think I want to make something Disney next year!

I've never made a gingerbread house! That's so cool that you do that with Luke. I hope you find something Disney to make.

I'll add some pics after you're done updating! And yes, you are correct! All of my pictures were taken during the day. We toured in the mid-afternoon before our Chef Mickey's ressie & I know that was at 4pm so it must have been around noon ?? Not sure, but we did eat lunch there so it must have been early afternoon.

I believe I have around 185 pics of just AoA but only the outside. I really enjoyed seeing your room pictures since we didn't get to go into an actual room while we were touring. I could've asked to see one, but it was just too much with the kids. It was cold outside that day & we were on our way to MK for a few hours before going to dinner.

You have more pictures of AoA than me and you did not even stay there! :faint: LOL When I'm done you can post photos of details I missed, or thigns that look really different during the day.

I'm so sad to see they only have one sink. I'll have to check out pics of the suites because I'm not sure I can share a sink with my husband while on vacation. That's a privilege I do not have at home so I enjoy my double sinks on vaca!!! ;)

I'm pretty sure the suites have three sinks : 1 in the kitchenette, and one in each bathroom. So not only can you have your own sink, you can even have a separate bathroom if you want! ;)

Did you guys have a chance to use the pool ?? It was FREEZING the day we toured & I could not believe people were in it!! It was fun to see people using the kids play area though even though I thought they were all crazy for being out! We had sweatshirts on & jeans and were still freezing! :scared1:

We did not get to use the pool. We didn't stay at AoA long enough, those days were not very warm, and I was feeling quite sick. I know the pools are heated, but I still want it to be warm outside! But I guess kids don't care. LOL

It is such a beautiful resort!!! I really enjoyed all the little details! I only wished it had been a warmer day so we could've stay there longer & really enjoyed walking around outside. I am really loving seeing your pics & seeing AoA again!!!! Can't wait for the next update!!!

You'll be back at AoA, I'm sure. Your visit was just to give you a little taste of what to expect next time. I answered the rest in teal above.

Love your update! AoA looks awesome!! The themeing looks so awesome! And what a scary crib! I would have asked for a pack n play- while they are not my favorite I can understand your worry!! Can't wait to see more pics and hear about your trip!

Thanks! As awesome as it looks in pictures, AoA is even better in person!

We probably would have asked for a pack n play if we had been staying there longer than 2 nights.

Art of Animation Review part 3  Little Mermaid & Lion King Areas

I had seen lots of pictures of AoA, but almost all of them were taken during the day. I was really curious to see what it looked like at night. It also happened to be the only real time I had to explore the resort. Be prepared for LOTS of pictures. I took these on a solo walk around the resort that I took on our second evening there.

We were in Ursulas building.

AoALittleMermaid3_zps1ff3b33f.jpg

The other two buildings were King Triton (not pictured) and Ariel.

AoALittleMermaid6_zps2b888112.jpg

You can find many of Ariels treasures laying around in this area, including a dinglehopper and a snarfblat.

AoALittleMermaid_zps4dfafac6.jpg

AoALittleMermaid2_zps92a9cd38.jpg

Sebastian and Prince Eric are only two of the many characters you can see hanging around.

AoALittleMermaid4_zps95897a2c.jpg

AoALittleMermaid8_zpsa467655b.jpg

The Little Mermaid section has its own pool.

AoALittleMermaid5_zpsf414dbfa.jpg

Behind building 7 is hourglass lake, and on the other side of that lake is Pop Century. The Little Mermaid area is directly across from the 50s area.

155_zps3c64e12a.jpg

When I walked along the lake I also took a picture of the 60s section of Pop Century.

154_zps018aae8e.jpg

When you walk along the lake you can find these little blurbs of trivia related to the section you are in.

AoALittleMermaid7_zps5b577463.jpg

When you walk from the lobby to the Little Mermaid section you have to cross the Lion King section.

Rafiki welcomes you.

AoALionKing_zpsaa1e4341.jpg

Behind him is Mufasa, and a place to watch some movies.

AoALionKing9_zps84dcb663.jpg

Up ahead you can see some familiar faces.

AoALionKing2_zps9c48be82.jpg

It really looks like you are in the middle of the jungle in there!

AoALionKing3_zps9a944585.jpg

Timon, Pumba and Simba are walking on that log above you, just like in that famous Hakuna Matat scene.

AoALionKing4_zps649e50cb.jpg

Beware, the hyenas are hanging out in the elephant graveyard!

AoALionKing6_zps775e8566.jpg

AoALionKing5_zps9807218b.jpg

Speaking of, this is my only other disappointment with AoA (besides the lack of hidden Mickeys). When they showed us concept art they said that the elephant graveyard would be a playground for kids to play in. They showed you a kid sliding down an elephant bone. The map still shows this area as a playground, but the ONLY thing you can do is walk through this tunnel.

AoALionKing5_zps9807218b.jpg

No slide, no games, nothing. They even have these signs everywhere that say no climbing. If it werent for the spongy flooring, you would never guess this was meant to be a play area. :confused3

This section does not have a pool. Just before you exit the area you come across the menacing Scar.

AoALionKing8_zps458d62c3.jpg

On the other side of the buildings are giant sketches of the characters in black and white. Then they meet at the staircases, where you can see the characters in color.

AoALionKing10_zps898480db.jpg

Here you can see both Lion King, as well as Finding Nemo. Well explore that area next time.

I'm in and all caught up. I'm sorry that this wasn't the trip of your dreams but I'm glad you made the best of it. It seems that EVERYONE got the flu this year. Can't wait to read more! popcorn::

I'm in and all caught up. I'm sorry that this wasn't the trip of your dreams but I'm glad you made the best of it. It seems that EVERYONE got the flu this year. Can't wait to read more! popcorn::

:welcome: Now that we've been back a while, it's a lot easier to remember the good times and ignore the bad. I know! I don't know why this year's flu season has been so rough on everyone across both Canada and the US!!!

We posted at the same time, so make sure to check out the update just above your post. :)

Great pics Mel! That's so weird about the playground area. I wonder what happened there?

Great pics Mel! That's so weird about the playground area. I wonder what happened there?

I guess budget cuts? Or maybe safety reasons? :confused3 I don't understand going all out for a resort, then cutting down on something that was in the concept art released to the public. If I had never seen that concept art, I would not have been disappointed by the absence of real play area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter