"This is NOT the once in a lifetime trip I was hoping for!" - (Baby Simba - 12/18)

Ugh I'm sorry you guys were both sick before your trip! Especially you though, still not feeling well while traveling, that's the worst! :(

Glad to hear Claudia did a good job flying! :banana: She's so cute! Love the pics of her on the Little Mermaid bed! Isn't that room so adorable?

The nausea was so bad, I was afraid I would get sick on the plane. I was so happy when I finally started to feel better.

I love love love AoA and the Little Mermaid rooms. I mean, could it be anymore perfectly Disney? :cutie:

Hi! I just found your trip report and I'd love to hear about your trip with a little one! We took our daughter when she was almost 2 and it was kind of a disaster. We went when she was almost 3 and it was awesome. Now she's 4 and we have an infant, but want to go back! While we're deciding, I'm reading trip reports to get my Disney fix.

:welcome: It seems that traveling with little ones is like rolling the dice. It could go well, or be horrible. Truthfully, the sickness and the crowds had more of a negative impact on our trip than traveling with a baby. I've read other TRs here of people traveling with two kids the age of yours and they had a great time, so it is possible. I hope that if you do decide to go, my TR helps you learn from my mistakes so you have a great trip. :thumbsup2

Definitely NOT the way to start a trip :sick:. I'm so sorry that you guys had to be sick!

WHOA. Now that's some snow! I've only seen that much snow once in my life when there was a freak blizzard here in GA. Everything shut down for two weeks!:rotfl:

Otaku likes the thumbs up, I see:thumbsup2. All the kids at Julia's school are favoring the peace sign these days:lmao:. Kids crack me up...but I guess she's a young lady, really!

Those Claudia pictures are just for me, right:love:? Such a cutie pie! Can never tire of seeing that sweet face!

Yep, not a good start at all. It got better though, I promise!

I remember one year when I was just a little older than Julia there was so much snow that my dad let us climb on the roof of the house and jump in the snow. This particular snowstorm happened over the Holidays so no school closure, but my guess is it would have only shut down for a day, max 2. Basically if the buses can make it to school, it's open. :drive:

Oh you noticed the thumbs up? I don't know how, they are pretty hard to see... NOT! :rotfl2: It's her new thing apparently. She did favor the peace sign for a long time, including during our Disney trip in 2009.

Thank you! I can never get enough of Claudia's smile either, so I don't blame you. ;)

Oh man, that darn flu! It has been an awful winter for illness so far! I am bummed to hear you had to take it to Disney with you! :(
I am glad to hear your flight went well though! Uneventful flights are the best! And changing poo diapers on a plane.......:rolleyes2 I hear ya there LOL!!!

Claudia has sent us into cuteness overload! What a sweetie pie, I know this report is going to be full of sweet pictures! :lovestruc Otaku seems like a wonderful big sister! :goodvibes Love AoA too!!

Really awful winter for illness, I agree. Don't kids always have the best timing for diaper changes? :rolleyes2

Otaku is a great big sister. Very helpful and they both love to hang out together. :goodvibes

Awesome! Sounds great!!! This is my first time reading one of your TRs so im very excited! :goodvibes

Thanks again! :wizard:

I hope you enjoy my TR! While waiting for updates you can always go check out my previous ones. The links are all in my signature. Zombie Apocalypse is my Disneymoon, and in the PTR for that trip are also included the wedding TR and 2009 Disney trip.

Hi Mel

I'm back along for the ride. Sorry to hear things didnt start off too well, your flu sounds awful.

Claudia seems to have grown so much - she is gorgeous. Love the photo on the bed.

Hope you are all doing okay and looking forward to keeping up.

Welcome back! :wave: It was an awful flu. I rarely ever get sick, then get one of the worse flu of my life at the worse possible time!

Claudia has not gained much weight, but she has grown quite a bit taller. That bed picture seems to be everyone's favorite.

Subscribing!

Looking forward to hearing about your first trip with DD, even if it wasn't quite as magical as you'd hoped :goodvibes

Great start so far, the theming at AoA looks really fun!

Emma princess: x

There is only one more regular update I can post, then I have to wait for the photopass CD to get here. However, I have so many pictures of the resorts we stayed at, especially Art of Animation, that I’ve decided to post them separately as mini reviews. I'll start with the Art of Animation lobby.

popcorn:: joining in popcorn::

I hope you enjoy the read! :)

Definitely cannot wait to read more!! Your daughter is adorable!!

:welcome: More coming up! Thank you. :goodvibes

Subscribing!

Looking forward to hearing about your first trip with DD, even if it wasn't quite as magical as you'd hoped :goodvibes

Great start so far, the theming at AoA looks really fun!

Emma princess: x

Hi Emma! :wave2: I'm glad to have you here.

The theming of AoA is absolutely wonderful! I'm just about to post an update with just AoA pictures. I know you usually prefer deluxes, but you should at least check this one out.

Art of Animation Review part 1  Lobby

I have so many pictures of the resorts we stayed at, especially Art of Animation, that Ive decided to post them separately as mini reviews. Lets start with the Art of Animation lobby.

AoA_zps4d0b3cc1.jpg

If youve ever been to POP Century, the entire resort is laid out very similar to AoA.

AoAmap_zpsc05ce256.jpg

That includes the lobby. Magical Express drops you off near bell service. When you enter the lobby this is what you see.

AoAlobby2_zps7da36576.jpg

On the wall to your right you will see several sketches of animated characters. They get progressively more polished as you get closer to the end.

AoAlobby4_zps2c16aaaa.jpg

AoAlobby_zps43e55985.jpg

AoAlobby6_zpsc389bb4d.jpg

You cant see very well, but at the very end on the walls around the souvenir shop, the drawings now have colors and other details added to them and are very close to the finished product.

AoAlobby12_zps03d230e1.jpg

Also at the very end, if you look up you will see this incredible chandelier.

AoAlobby10_zps6ee4b9d8.jpg

Immediately to your left is a little area with benches where you can watch cartoons.

AoAlobby3_zps3c780898.jpg

Sometimes they have an animator come in and teach you how to draw a character, kinda like the drawing class at Hollywood Studios. I believe it happens twice a day. They even have a catalog with all of the possible characters they can draw.

AoAlobby7_zps6f7bbe3c.jpg

AoAlobby11_zps5158207e.jpg

Along the left wall is the check-in counter. Let me tell you, the lighting of this is incredible and the pictures do not do it justice AT ALL!

AoAlobby9_zpsa368b282.jpg

Whats interesting about this particular check-in/concierge area is that each station is individual, instead of one long big counter. That means that the CM can come out of behind their station and come and greet you right at the line, then accompany you back to their computer.

They still had their Christmas decorations up when we checked in. The Christmas trees are white and have little animation drawings in them.

AoAChristmas_zps2f16f238.jpg

AoAChristmas2_zpscaaaf448.jpg

AoAChristmas3_zpscb86a1b0.jpg

AoAChristmas4_zpsf9973b4d.jpg

AoAChristmas5_zps1ab8fa17.jpg

In the food court they also had some gingerbread houses displayed. I believe they were created by cast members as part of a contest.

AoAGingerbreadhousecontest8_zpsda55e0c4.jpg

AoAGingerbreadhousecontest7_zps5ef9aeef.jpg

AoAGingerbreadhousecontest6_zpsa391517a.jpg

AoAGingerbreadhousecontest5_zps04ec4871.jpg

AoAGingerbreadhousecontest4_zps6a26244c.jpg

AoAGingerbreadhousecontest3_zpscb1a08df.jpg

AoAGingerbreadhousecontest2_zpse714ddb9.jpg

AoAGingerbreadhousecontest_zps3b58e575.jpg

Unfortunately, I did not take any pictures of the souvenir shop or the food court, which are both located at the end of the lobby. Too bad, as its just as gorgeous as the rest of the resort. In between the check-in area and the Ink & Paint Shop is a passageway that leads straight from the buses to the main pool. The arcade is also located there.

Up Next, the Little Mermaid Room

I never made it over to AoA this past trip, so I LOVE seeing all of your pictures of the lobby. It is gorgeous! It does look like the same basic set-up as POP in terms of layout of the resort. Makes sense since they used some of the buildings that were started for what was supposed to be the other half of POP, but became AoA.

This looks like such a fabulous lobby! I had no idea that the sketches get more finished as you move along; very cool! And that chandelier is gorgeous, as are the Christmas decorations.

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll get to stay here next time like I wanted to.:sad: We'd have to get a suite, and it seems the discounts aren't that great lately. We're hoping to wait a year and see if the "new" wears off and the discounts get better. With a family of 5, our options are limited by space and what we can afford! Looks like POR for us with the murphy bed, then switching to CR for a few bonus nights. Now, if we can just find a way to pay for it all...:confused3

Secretly, I'm hoping that some fabulous offer for AoA is going to come out for the Fall. Here's hoping!

Loved your pictures, Mel! It was really nice to see Art of Animation again!!! As I told you previously, I am very glad that I saved our tour of AoA for our last afternoon! Had I toured it prior to that, I KNOW I would've gone straight to the check-in desk at POR and told them to call Bell Services to pick up our bags!! I would've transferred my reservation over to AoA in a heart beat!!! It's so "Disney"! :goodvibes

My pictures from my trip are uploading to my photo program right now, but as soon as they're done, I will post some of the Food Court for your readers to see! We were there just three weeks before you, so it looked pretty much the same lol ;)

I took pictures of the Gingerbread Houses too!!! Our pictures pretty much look identical! They didn't have winners to the contest yet when we were there though...they had a pencil & box for voting!

I hope you don't mind me posting these here. I'm not doing a TR myself, so I thought your readers might enjoy seeing. Unfortunately it was really crowded in the gift shop so we didn't spend much time there. I only have a couple pictures of it, but I have a ton of the food court!

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Cupcake "Sampler"
ry%3D480

I was excited to see so many dessert options & coffee on the menu!!!
ry%3D480

Create your own Burger!
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

I never made it over to AoA this past trip, so I LOVE seeing all of your pictures of the lobby. It is gorgeous! It does look like the same basic set-up as POP in terms of layout of the resort. Makes sense since they used some of the buildings that were started for what was supposed to be the other half of POP, but became AoA.

Oh, you HAVE to find the time to check out AoA. I can't believe you were so close and did not cross the bridge. You really missed out. I guess that's what next time is for then. ;) Yes, the building for the lobby and food court was already built, that's why it looks so much like POP.

AoA just looks so lively and fun! Thanks for all the pictures! :goodvibes

It is a very lively and fun resort indeed. Good thing you like the pictures, because I have 4 more updates of AoA pictures coming up! Yes, I took that many. I couldn't help it, there are just too many things to photograph.

That Cinderella's Castle gingerbread house is amazing!

I know! It totally should have won first place!

The AoA looks so bright and colorful! I'd love to stay in the suites there someday.

It is bright and colorful and a lot of fun! I hope you get the chance to try the suite one day, they look amazing!

This looks like such a fabulous lobby! I had no idea that the sketches get more finished as you move along; very cool! And that chandelier is gorgeous, as are the Christmas decorations.

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll get to stay here next time like I wanted to.:sad: We'd have to get a suite, and it seems the discounts aren't that great lately. We're hoping to wait a year and see if the "new" wears off and the discounts get better. With a family of 5, our options are limited by space and what we can afford! Looks like POR for us with the murphy bed, then switching to CR for a few bonus nights. Now, if we can just find a way to pay for it all...:confused3

Secretly, I'm hoping that some fabulous offer for AoA is going to come out for the Fall. Here's hoping!

It is a wonderful lobby, and totally different from any other lobby.

I too hope that after the "new" wears off that they start coming out with better discounts for the family suites. We want to have a second kid, so with Otaku we will be 5 and we too will have limited options. Those family suites would be so perfect for your family! What section would you stay in if you could?

Loved your pictures, Mel! It was really nice to see Art of Animation again!!! As I told you previously, I am very glad that I saved our tour of AoA for our last afternoon! Had I toured it prior to that, I KNOW I would've gone straight to the check-in desk at POR and told them to call Bell Services to pick up our bags!! I would've transferred my reservation over to AoA in a heart beat!!! It's so "Disney"! :goodvibes

My pictures from my trip are uploading to my photo program right now, but as soon as they're done, I will post some of the Food Court for your readers to see! We were there just three weeks before you, so it looked pretty much the same lol ;)

I took pictures of the Gingerbread Houses too!!! Our pictures pretty much look identical! They didn't have winners to the contest yet when we were there though...they had a pencil & box for voting!

AoA really is the most "Disney" resort of all and I love it! I totally understand how you would have wanted to switch in a heartbeat.

I don't know what the heck the people who voted were thinking, but that castle should have won!!

I hope you don't mind me posting these here. I'm not doing a TR myself, so I thought your readers might enjoy seeing. Unfortunately it was really crowded in the gift shop so we didn't spend much time there. I only have a couple pictures of it, but I have a ton of the food court!

Of course I don't mind! It's so awesome in there, I'm glad my readers get to see it. I'll probably put a link to your pictures in my table of content if that's okay with you.

AoA really is the most "Disney" resort of all and I love it! I totally understand how you would have wanted to switch in a heartbeat.

I don't know what the heck the people who voted were thinking, but that castle should have won!!

Of course I don't mind! It's so awesome in there, I'm glad my readers get to see it. I'll probably put a link to your pictures in my table of content if that's okay with you.

I looked through my AoA pictures & I was right! When I was there, each house was numbered & a paper/pencil and voting box were sitting on the end of the table! I am still shocked that castle didn't win!!! The detail on it was amazing!

That's no problem at all! Please share a link on your Table of Contents! I have tons more I can add but wanted to see the rest of yours first! :thumbsup2

We have never been to Pop, but that lobby looks absolutely fabulous at AOA. Mark is going to love it if we can get one or two nights there on his business trip in April.

I looked through my AoA pictures & I was right! When I was there, each house was numbered & a paper/pencil and voting box were sitting on the end of the table! I am still shocked that castle didn't win!!! The detail on it was amazing!

That's no problem at all! Please share a link on your Table of Contents! I have tons more I can add but wanted to see the rest of yours first! :thumbsup2

I'm shocked too. I don't get it. Maybe they thought the castle did not look like a "house" enough?

I have 4 more AoA updates, so I have quite a bit of pictures. You can see after what I missed. All my pictures are at night though, I believe yours were taken during the day?

We have never been to Pop, but that lobby looks absolutely fabulous at AOA. Mark is going to love it if we can get one or two nights there on his business trip in April.

POP is a fun resort, especially with all the memorabilia from the past 60 years. AoA is just phenomenal though. You have to find a way to stay there, it would fit so well with mark's fun personality.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter