Thinking of Renting My Points for Med Cruise - anybody else?

maryisme

DIS Veteran
I really want to do one of the med cruises next summer but DH doesn't want to spend that much on vacation. In reality, its just so much more than we normally spend.

He says if I can rent our points and cover at least half we can do it. We have about 600 points to rent but I've never done it and am leary. I'll have to start researching it on the weekend since booking starts on Tuesday.

Anyone else considering doing this or am I crazy?

Thanks! Mary

I was thinking about doing this as well, but am not quite sure it is worth it. For a Category 8 in the highest price tier they have listed, which I suspect it would reach very quickly, it would cost about $8,000 for the 10 night cruise. However, it would cost 866 vacation points to do the same cruise. Even if you can get $10 per point, and don't lose any value to pay pal fees, etc, then you would get $8,660 for them, so would only be saving $660. (I know you said 600, but I am just going with the calculations I was using).

What you might want to do instead, is look into splitting the cost of your cruise between points and cash. It is a little known fact that you can pay points for the first person, and cash for the second. That would cover half the costs :thumbsup2

The DCL prices are just *so* expensive for these itinerary, but we *are* doing a Med cruise next year. :) Just on another line. Whether we rent out points to help cover costs remains to be seen.

We have done three 7 night cruises and are also planning on booking next Tuesday for one of the Med. cruises. We are a family of five and always get two cabins. We have always used a combination of cash and points to pay for it. I honestly don't have the time or patience to rent the points. I know it's a great way to save/pay for the cruise. We don't have the option of using them during the same year due to limited vacation time - so we just use them every two years to cruise. Not sure if we will use them for a DCL cruise again - (but I said that last time too :lmao: )

I made the decision to fund our trip with rented points and within about 2 weeks had most of them rented out. We're planning for the August Repo. I did the same thing last time for the PC August Repo. It made the trip possible and I've met some great people this way. And have helped some folks plan their vacation which I find fun.

Yes, we're renting them out. Well actually I guess my parents are. They are the DVC members and they are paying for the Med. cruise. Their goal is to cover half of the amount that the cruise will cost by renting points too! There are going to be five of us on the cruise and we are hoping for 2 category 9's on the 11 night itinerary...we'll see what happens Tuesday!

Thanks for all the responses! I'm 99% certain we're going to rent them out to offset this very expensive habit I have! We're looking to do the August repo and there are five in our party.

I guess its time to do my homework on renting out points: contracts, cancellation policy, payment acceptance and such...oh joy :rolleyes1 .

Good luck everyone!

If your points are not banked, I find transferring points to another member to be easier than making a res for a non-member. I have done both. Just a thought!
Good luck!!

Hey Pam,

Your up early also. I once gave someone a few points that I had left over and I do recall how easy it was to just transfer them. Definitely something to consider.

Are there any sample contacts available anywhere that I could take a look at?

Thanks.

Mary

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!