Thinking of first cruise. Thoughts?

Viking7641

Mouseketeer
So here is the deal.

I am looking into booking a DCL vacation (or Royal Carribean) this coming fall or winter. I need a break, my mother has not been on vacation in.......a decade? I need her to get out somewhere. Problem? She won't fly.

I really want to take her back to WDW at some point, though it's not in the cards right now with the potential of having to add 3-4 days to a trip just to drive there and back.

So as an alternative I am looking at DCL or RC sailings out of NYC or Boston. We can either take a cab (Boston) or hop on Amtrak (NYC).

The DCL itinerary I am seeing is not my ideal (Bermuda for 5 nights). However.....it is Disney. I know what to expect from food, entertainment and I am always amazed by cast members. I also like the look of the Magic, as it looks less like a cruise ship than most.

The RC itineraries I can find are a tad longer (7 nights which is ideal) and go to more places I am interested in (Pt. Canaveral and The Bahamas) They are also cheaper by a pretty significant margin ($500+)

Is Disney worth the premium? How is Bermuda in October? I've heard the legends about Castaway key and would 100% pull the trigger if DCL was offering a Bahamas cruise from NYC I could grab.

Having been on both cruise lines, I can say that Disney is a little better, but in no way on par with the cost difference. You won't fully "get what you pay for" compared to other lines. That being said...it is Disney. For my next cruise, I plan to go back to RCL, and I have two young children, if that signifies anything.

And I agree, Castaway Cay is worth the Disney upcharge almost by itself.

Last edited:
I'd consider the Anthem our of Bayonne. Seven nights is definitely better than 5 plus you're not keen on Bermuda. I believe the Anthem also goes to Coco Cay as well as Nassau and Port Canaveral. If you're set on Disney - can you do the cruise out of NYC the first week of November? That goes to Castaway Cay and Port Canaveral, which includes a day at the Disney parks.

I'd consider the Anthem our of Bayonne. Seven nights is definitely better than 5 plus you're not keen on Bermuda. I believe the Anthem also goes to Coco Cay as well as Nassau and Port Canaveral. If you're set on Disney - can you do the cruise out of NYC the first week of November? That goes to Castaway Cay and Port Canaveral, which includes a day at the Disney parks.

I'd love to do that sailing but the cost is way higher.
I could do a week at the parks with food and flights for less!

We had serious discussions between RC and DCL for an upcoming trip. My Dad and a friend of mine both had been on the RC cruise we were looking at and both said they were alright. My friend did exactly what we are doing, hitting Universal Studios first, then took a cruise. He was even on the same boat we were looking at taking. They both said they had a good time, but didn't come away saying it was awesome and my friend even said he would have liked it more had he gone with Disney over RC.

Here is why we decided on DCL, we were going to spend about $3,000 for all of us to go on the RC trip in a slightly nicer cabin, but for $3,500 we were able to go on DCL. I was fine with paying $500 more to go from "fine" to "awesome". Going on DCL makes you a bit of a snob when looking at the other cruise lines. Not that DCL is the best, but it's pretty high up there.

For RC, I believe the ship you'll be on is very important. Not all of their ships are on the same level. I'd find out which ship you are looking at and see what people thought of that ship compared with the Disney ship you're looking at. There's plenty of trip reports on the Disboards for both cruise lines. I'd prefer a 7 day over a 5 day as well, but Port Canaveral and Nassau are not really worth me getting off the boat to visit. I probably would check out Bermuda since I've never been there.

2 more nights on vacation, and it's cheaper? Sounds like a good win for me.
Of course, I don't know the RC ship you mentioned. It could be in poor condition (relatively speaking) and needing a dry dock update. You also mentioned the ports on Royal Caribbean were more appealing. Sounds like your decision is already made up, a quick taxi ride, ports you want to see, and less expensive. Don't worry about the mouse, he'll still be there.

2 more nights on vacation, and it's cheaper? Sounds like a good win for me.
Of course, I don't know the RC ship you mentioned. It could be in poor condition (relatively speaking) and needing a dry dock update. You also mentioned the ports on Royal Caribbean were more appealing. Sounds like your decision is already made up, a quick taxi ride, ports you want to see, and less expensive. Don't worry about the mouse, he'll still be there.
The RC ship is the Anthem. If we leave from NYC, Serenade of the Seas from Boston

October should be fine, unless there's a hurricane in the area. We sailed out of Port Canaveral on the DCL Fantasy the day after Hurricane Sandy. RCCL's ship remained in port, and passengers were invited to use the ship as a hotel and/or receive a refund.

We had serious discussions between RC and DCL for an upcoming trip. My Dad and a friend of mine both had been on the RC cruise we were looking at and both said they were alright. My friend did exactly what we are doing, hitting Universal Studios first, then took a cruise. He was even on the same boat we were looking at taking. They both said they had a good time, but didn't come away saying it was awesome and my friend even said he would have liked it more had he gone with Disney over RC.

Here is why we decided on DCL, we were going to spend about $3,000 for all of us to go on the RC trip in a slightly nicer cabin, but for $3,500 we were able to go on DCL. I was fine with paying $500 more to go from "fine" to "awesome". Going on DCL makes you a bit of a snob when looking at the other cruise lines. Not that DCL is the best, but it's pretty high up there.

For RC, I believe the ship you'll be on is very important. Not all of their ships are on the same level. I'd find out which ship you are looking at and see what people thought of that ship compared with the Disney ship you're looking at. There's plenty of trip reports on the Disboards for both cruise lines. I'd prefer a 7 day over a 5 day as well, but Port Canaveral and Nassau are not really worth me getting off the boat to visit. I probably would check out Bermuda since I've never been there.

I agree about those ports. DCL Magic goes from NYC to CC and Port Canaveral in November. That's my least favorite itinerary. Wish they'd have offered something better AND made it a Very Merrytime Cruise! (We're going with the Harmony instead of the Magic!)

Last edited:
The RC ship is the Anthem. If we leave from NYC, Serenade of the Seas from Boston

I have a soft spot for Serenade. We had 2 of our best cruises on her but it was mostly because of the itinerary, not so much the ship. Between the two I'd go with the Anthem.

I agree about those ports. DCL Magic goes from NYC to CC and Port Canaveral in November. That's my least favorite itinerary. Wish they'd have offered something better AND made it a Very Merrytime Cruise! (We're going with the Harmony instead of the Magic!)

I've done that itinerary before and am going again this year. I love it but to each his own. They do have a very merrytime.

I've done that itinerary before and am going again this year. I love it but to each his own. They do have a very merrytime.

No Merrytime the first week of November. When it first came out, it was posted as one so I booked it. Few days later Disney said they made a "mistake" and it wasn't so I canceled.

I haven't sailed on the Anthem (I was supposed to, though so I did all the research). IMO, at least on paper, Anthem beats the classic Disney ships (tried the Wonder, loved it but wasn't that impressed) hands down.

Plus you get 2 more days of vacation and a better itinerary?

The choice is easy IMO. Go with RCCL!

I've sailed on both the Magic and the Anthem and yes you will get more bang for your buck if you sail with RCL. Obviously I love DCL and would sail with them every chance I get but the Anthem is a nice ship and I really like all the activities that are for everyone and not just for kids. The MDR restaurants on the Anthem are okay but I really enjoyed the numerous options for paid dining which was wonderful. The rooms on RCL nice (I had the virtual balcony room which I loved) but DCL staterooms are a little bigger. DCL beats RCL when it came down to service and entertainment which are my top priorities. I heard great things about the shows on RCL but I just didn't like them. They had nice stage props but the shows where just horrible in my opinion. Of course DCL is far superior when it came down to service. As far as Castaway Cay well I enjoy being there but RCL private beach was fun too. Good luck with your decision.

The only thing i'm not thrilled with by looking at DCL is the small pools. i've only been on RCL before, so i'm about to see DCL for myself in Oct, but that's the only thing that kinda bothers me, is the only pool my teenage son and i can swim together in is the tiny family pool that i'm sure will be swamped. Whatever you choose, have a great time!!

The only thing i'm not thrilled with by looking at DCL is the small pools. i've only been on RCL before, so i'm about to see DCL for myself in Oct, but that's the only thing that kinda bothers me, is the only pool my teenage son and i can swim together in is the tiny family pool that i'm sure will be swamped. Whatever you choose, have a great time!!

This is the deal breaker for us. We're fans of RCI Oasis class with 4 pools and the splash area for younger kids. My daughter can spend hours in the pool. On DCL it's just the one very small pool which is usually people-soup. Literally all you can do is stand there and watch whatever movie is playing on the big screen.

I've sailed on both the Magic and the Anthem and yes you will get more bang for your buck if you sail with RCL. Obviously I love DCL and would sail with them every chance I get but the Anthem is a nice ship and I really like all the activities that are for everyone and not just for kids. The MDR restaurants on the Anthem are okay but I really enjoyed the numerous options for paid dining which was wonderful. The rooms on RCL nice (I had the virtual balcony room which I loved) but DCL staterooms are a little bigger. DCL beats RCL when it came down to service and entertainment which are my top priorities. I heard great things about the shows on RCL but I just didn't like them. They had nice stage props but the shows where just horrible in my opinion. Of course DCL is far superior when it came down to service. As far as Castaway Cay well I enjoy being there but RCL private beach was fun too. Good luck with your decision.

I've never sailed with RCL, much less on the Anthem, but like I said, everyone says RCL is fine, a good cruise. Just not awesome. While RCL is cheaper than DCL, you are still paying a lot of money for fine when you could pay a little more for awesome. I've also heard booking the shows on RCL is a bit annoying while DCL doesn't make you pre-book the shows...at least yet.

My Dad is big on RCL and has never done DCL, but he does say RCL typically beats NCL in his opinion. Don't get me started on Carnival. I'd never do another one of those. I wasn't upset when the boat broke down, we didn't have electricity for 10 hours (no air conditioning, hot foods, elevators, tv, etc...) , or didn't go to Aruba, which was the entire reason we picked that cruise. I was upset we only got $50 on a ship credit and after several letters and complaints, they only offered 10% off my next cruise. That was it. Plus, there's a huge difference between Carnival and Disney.

I agree the RCL trip is probably a good trip and it shouldn't surprise anyone that on a message board dedicated to all things Disney, there may be some opinions leaning more heavily towards DCL over any other cruise line.

I've never sailed with RCL, much less on the Anthem, but like I said, everyone says RCL is fine, a good cruise. Just not awesome. While RCL is cheaper than DCL, you are still paying a lot of money for fine when you could pay a little more for awesome. I've also heard booking the shows on RCL is a bit annoying while DCL doesn't make you pre-book the shows...at least yet.

My Dad is big on RCL and has never done DCL, but he does say RCL typically beats NCL in his opinion. Don't get me started on Carnival. I'd never do another one of those. I wasn't upset when the boat broke down, we didn't have electricity for 10 hours (no air conditioning, hot foods, elevators, tv, etc...) , or didn't go to Aruba, which was the entire reason we picked that cruise. I was upset we only got $50 on a ship credit and after several letters and complaints, they only offered 10% off my next cruise. That was it. Plus, there's a huge difference between Carnival and Disney.

I agree the RCL trip is probably a good trip and it shouldn't surprise anyone that on a message board dedicated to all things Disney, there may be some opinions leaning more heavily towards DCL over any other cruise line.

We've always had awesome cruises on RCI....not always on Disney. The Oasis class cruises are much better than "fine" and you're paying a lot more, not a little more for Disney. Booking shows is really not that big of a deal. There are definitely things on RCI Oasis class that are better (at least for our family) than on Disney.

So here is the deal.

I am looking into booking a DCL vacation (or Royal Carribean) this coming fall or winter. I need a break, my mother has not been on vacation in.......a decade? I need her to get out somewhere. Problem? She won't fly.

I really want to take her back to WDW at some point, though it's not in the cards right now with the potential of having to add 3-4 days to a trip just to drive there and back.

So as an alternative I am looking at DCL or RC sailings out of NYC or Boston. We can either take a cab (Boston) or hop on Amtrak (NYC).

The DCL itinerary I am seeing is not my ideal (Bermuda for 5 nights). However.....it is Disney. I know what to expect from food, entertainment and I am always amazed by cast members. I also like the look of the Magic, as it looks less like a cruise ship than most.

The RC itineraries I can find are a tad longer (7 nights which is ideal) and go to more places I am interested in (Pt. Canaveral and The Bahamas) They are also cheaper by a pretty significant margin ($500+)

Is Disney worth the premium? How is Bermuda in October? I've heard the legends about Castaway key and would 100% pull the trigger if DCL was offering a Bahamas cruise from NYC I could grab.
For us, DCL is definitely worth the premium, as my son and I love Disney, and I also love the old-fashioned ocean liner style of the DCL ships, and don't care for the boxy look of mega cruise-ships from lines like RCI & Carnival. We have cruised on every Disney ship within the past few years, in both inside and verandah cabins, and had wonderful cruises each time.

You're going to get widely differing opinions on this, depending on whether you are hearing from people who are DCL loyalists, or from people who tend to prefer cruising another line. It's a value-laden decision that's really going to be about what is right for you. There is no objective right or wrong answer that is true for everyone.

Last edited:
Just jumping in this conversation to ask a question for those who have cruised RC. A lot of people who mention their food say they enjoyed the dining that had the extra charge. How much do those places usually cost? I’ve only cruised once and that was on DCL and I was happy with all of the food in the MDRs, so if I need to pay extra on RC to get better food it seems that it would eat into what I’m saving by choosing them over DCL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter