Thinking about a new P&S for Photos and Video (G7 v Rx100v)... Advice ?

jcvalenti

Epcot OG
So I have a problem - it seems like every time I schedule a new Disney trip, I get it in my head that I need new camera gear. I've brought everything from my large Canon 5D with the whole suitcase of lenses to my tiny GoPro Hero 3 Silver to "capture the magic" during various trips.

My wife and I have a surprise trip planned for the kids the week after Thanksgiving this year. It's our first time ever going when the Christmas decorations are up, and we're planning on doing all kinds of cool stuff (like Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party and a nighttime stroll through Pandora).

Since this is likely our last trip with our kids as "kids" (the oldest is a senior next year), I want to make sure I have some keeper photos, so I don't want to rely on just cell phones ... yet I also don't want to bring the full rig down there (as we don't want to be encumbered by backpacks and stuff when in the park for a FULL day). I need something that can take decent low light, but also can be a video workhorse (as I really miss the days of bringing the camcorder and filming the whole trip like it was a movie).

I've been researching a few different options, and I really like the looks of the Canon Powershot G7 X Mark II and the Sony RX 100v as great ultra compact workhorses, but both present some pretty substantial drawbacks (in Sony's case, the price).

Anyone use either of these to record video and photos on a Disney trip, or have a similar compact recommendation ? Anyone think I should just make due with our cell phones, my Go Pro and my Samsung Gear360 camera ?

So I have a problem - it seems like every time I schedule a new Disney trip, I get it in my head that I need new camera gear. I've brought everything from my large Canon 5D with the whole suitcase of lenses to my tiny GoPro Hero 3 Silver to "capture the magic" during various trips.

My wife and I have a surprise trip planned for the kids the week after Thanksgiving this year. It's our first time ever going when the Christmas decorations are up, and we're planning on doing all kinds of cool stuff (like Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party and a nighttime stroll through Pandora).

Since this is likely our last trip with our kids as "kids" (the oldest is a senior next year), I want to make sure I have some keeper photos, so I don't want to rely on just cell phones ... yet I also don't want to bring the full rig down there (as we don't want to be encumbered by backpacks and stuff when in the park for a FULL day). I need something that can take decent low light, but also can be a video workhorse (as I really miss the days of bringing the camcorder and filming the whole trip like it was a movie).

I've been researching a few different options, and I really like the looks of the Canon Powershot G7 X Mark II and the Sony RX 100v as great ultra compact workhorses, but both present some pretty substantial drawbacks (in Sony's case, the price).

Anyone use either of these to record video and photos on a Disney trip, or have a similar compact recommendation ? Anyone think I should just make due with our cell phones, my Go Pro and my Samsung Gear360 camera ?

I haven't used those cameras but you can try them at Best Buy or a similar store and see if they fit your needs. For me a small mrrorless camera and a couple of "pancake" style lens is perfect for family events and things like Disney where you're walking around a lot. And the the mirrorless camera can easily use the big DSLR lens for photographing birds or sports, etc.
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

As to smart phone, it depends on which you have.
My iphone 7 has finally gotten to the point, where I actually am comfortable using it for some casual photography. And I'm a photography snob -- I have a full frame dSLR with a deep investment in lenses.

For a while, I had the Sony RX100 as my backup when I really wanted to go light. (original version). I loved it at the time. But I do feel the best smart phones are catching up and surpassing in many regards.

I can say the RX100 is an excellent camera. In the hands of someone who knows photography, it will still produce better images than a phone, though the gap is much smaller than it used to be.
The newest RX100 is a bit of a powerhouse for video -- 4k video with super slow motion, etc.

I haven't tried the GX7ii, from what I read, it's a very good camera. But the RX100 has a couple big advantages -- EVF and 4k video. (the advantage of the Canon would be slightly more telephoto reach and a touch screen). The newest RX100v will also have superior autofocus, though the older models will be more similar to the Canon.
You can also look at the somewhat older RX100 models --
This is a good review of the RX100v and also a comparison of the various models:

http://www.bythom.com/camera-lens-and-accessory/sony-rx100-mark-v-review.html#.WUA09uvyuUk

Getting back to my own experiences... the original RX100 was a joy to easily carry at Disney World. And it's IQ was far better than I could get from an iphone 3-5 years ago (around iPhone 4).
Fast forward to today .... the gap has probably closed somewhat. But for someone who understands how to set exposure, how to process raw files, etc... it's probably still work using the enthusiast compact camera.

The RX100 concerns for me (beyond the $999 price tag), is the limited battery life, the fact 4K filming is limited to 5 to 10 minutes before it overheats, and the fact that additional sony batteries are rather pricey (Canon is much more forgiving with knockoffs).

While I do agree smartphone cameras are improving, they have a few serious limitations - poor low light operation, no optical zoom, and a limited f-stop so the ability to take certain artistic shots is limited. Plus relying on them for all day camera duty just kills the battery.

I will check out the cited sources - thanks !

Knockoff batteries work on the rx100 just as well as the Canon.
10 minutes of 4K on the rx100 versus 0 minutes in the Canon. (Or unlimited 1080p on the Sony).

I just don't see those things as real concerns. To me, the 2 big advantages of the Canon are touch screen and slightly more telephoto reach. The small buttons on the rx100 can make it difficult.
The big advantages of the rx100-- video, superior af (in the mark v), superior burst shooting and EVF.

I have used the first RX100m1 and I come from a long line of Canon gear with 5dm3 being the last one. I have been very happy with the Sony and got the RXm4 and I am looking froward to December photos as well. I got an extra battery and external charger. with the m5 you can attach a micro usb and usb battery like you would charge your phone and charge the camera while in use.

I have found two batteries are enough for me.

You can look at my photos and decide.

Here is a one sec exposure on a tripod
https://www.flickr.com/photos/photodisneyblog/33519561523/

@jcvalenti - did you end up getting either of these? Here in New Zealand I can get the Canon for NZD$900 vs the Sony around NZD$1700 for MKV, and even NZD$1100 for MKIII. So if I get a new camera it will likely be the Canon. But then I'm wondering if a mirrorless might be a better choice...

@jcvalenti - did you end up getting either of these? Here in New Zealand I can get the Canon for NZD$900 vs the Sony around NZD$1700 for MKV, and even NZD$1100 for MKIII. So if I get a new camera it will likely be the Canon. But then I'm wondering if a mirrorless might be a better choice...

Just logged on for the first time in a while and saw this post. I actually just made the call last week, and went with the GX7 Mk II. At the end of the day, I thought the biggest advantages of the Sony was the limited 4K shooting and a seemingly faster autofocus, but neither of those things warranted the extra $350US for me, especially sing the lack of a touchscreen and the short battery life balanced them out. I've been putting the GX7 through the paces for the last couple days, and I'm very happy so far ... really great pictures right out of the box, and the low-light performance in both video and still is FAR better than any P&S I have ever had. The new Digic processor seems exceptional at keeping noise out in dimly lit shots.

Just logged on for the first time in a while and saw this post. I actually just made the call last week, and went with the GX7 Mk II. At the end of the day, I thought the biggest advantages of the Sony was the limited 4K shooting and a seemingly faster autofocus, but neither of those things warranted the extra $350US for me, especially sing the lack of a touchscreen and the short battery life balanced them out. I've been putting the GX7 through the paces for the last couple days, and I'm very happy so far ... really great pictures right out of the box, and the low-light performance in both video and still is FAR better than any P&S I have ever had. The new Digic processor seems exceptional at keeping noise out in dimly lit shots.
Thanks for the update. Yep it's that price differential that is tough to swallow, I'm more than likely going to get the Canon, going to go to a proper camera shop to get it and get some advice at the same time - still toying with the idea of a micro 4/3, or the Panasonic TZ100 for $150 more and a massive zoom. Still neither will be compact compared to the Canon/Sony so...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!