Think we have made a mistake

Skallywag

DIS Veteran
Have been looking forward well in advance to our October cruise on the magic first time ever but have become increasingly upset and annoyed by the poor service we are receiving from Disney Cruise Line

We have written and faxed to them on several occasions and have sent emails for clarification to no avail. There has not been one word of response from them. Our travel agent has been on the phone to them today for the DVD to plan our trip and they refuse to send one ever to the agent. We are after all customers and surely should get the same service as everyone esle does. We do not get toll free numbers from here and the international calls can cost a fortune. We are beginning to feel like second class citizens and wonder if anyone else has had this experience.

We are Disney Vacation Club members and their service is absolutely wonderful and we had expected the cruise line to be somewhat similar but it is certainly lacking in customer care.

If anyone has had similar problems and managed to resolve them would love to hear how they did it. At this present moment if we had not paid up front for 4 international flights and arranged two weeks accommodation and limo and car hire feel I would be tempted to cancel the cruise. :sad2:

Skallywag said:
Have been looking forward well in advance to our October cruise on the magic first time ever but have become increasingly upset and annoyed by the poor service we are receiving from Disney Cruise Line

We have written and faxed to them on several occasions and have sent emails for clarification to no avail. There has not been one word of response from them. Our travel agent has been on the phone to them today for the DVD to plan our trip and they refuse to send one ever to the agent. We are after all customers and surely should get the same service as everyone esle does. We do not get toll free numbers from here and the international calls can cost a fortune. We are beginning to feel like second class citizens and wonder if anyone else has had this experience.

We are Disney Vacation Club members and their service is absolutely wonderful and we had expected the cruise line to be somewhat similar but it is certainly lacking in customer care.

If anyone has had similar problems and managed to resolve them would love to hear how they did it. At this present moment if we had not paid up front for 4 international flights and arranged two weeks accommodation and limo and car hire feel I would be tempted to cancel the cruise. :sad2:

Well i Know that Disney Cruise Line Does not Send planning videos
outside of the US, postage is one of the reasons..Different systems the other...

However if You Email Us, We would Be happy To Send you our Copy..
But to be honest if you just go to this Site
www.dcltribute.com, and read it you will know more than the video will ever tell you.. you are just like everybody else Just further away... :goodvibes

And here is a link to the video..
http://208.48.136.10/video100.asp?id=disney100.wmv

Peter

When you book a cruise (any cruise, not just a Disney Cruise) through a travel agency, the cruise line expects you to communicate with the travel agency, not directly with the cruise line, regarding requests, questions, changes, and the like. Both sides want it this way. The cruise line is paying a percentage to the travel agency to take care of such things, and the travel agency wants to maintain the ongoing relationship with the customer.

If you have a good travel agency, they should be able to help you with anything for which you would otherwise go to the cruise liine.

As to DVDs and VHS tapes, I don't think it's a matter of postage. NTSC tapes from the U.S. don't work in the UK, where the video standard is PAL. And DVDs are usually region-specific. A region 1 DVD won't work in a DVD player sold in the UK. Offhand, I don't know why a promotional DVD would be region-specific, but it could be something as simple as restrictions on how the music is licensed.

Actually, I'm surprised that there aren't UK-specific versions of the DVD and the VHS tape.

The DVD really isn't particularly valuable for trip planning. It's nice, extended advertisement, and there's a fun, short documentary on the contruction of the Disney Magic. But for trip planning, you'll do much better to rely on the folks on this board and on independent online resources such as Dave's DCL Tribute at http://www.dcltribute.com .

As a very satisfied Disney passenger, I'm sorry to hear you're running into frustrating situations with DCL prior to your cruise. But, from my experience, the cruise itself will be wonderful.

i agree with horace....dcl will not speak with you if you book thru the travel agency only out of professional courtesy to the travel agent. just like if you wanted a special request, you should go thru your travel agent and they will contact dcl directly. it really is a professional courtesy call. you are considered the travel agent's "client" so DCL don't want to step on the travel agent's toes. some travel agents will feel left out if they don't know what's going on. BUT, if you book directly with DCL, then obviously they will talk with you. your travel agent should be working harder for you.

i know DCL gives out free planning videos but would it be the right format? DCL does not send these from their offices but rather from an outsourced clearinghouse they use. perhaps their computer generating labels do not have the ability to add more lines for an international address??

Just to confirm we have gone through our travel agent and because they were getting negative assistance they passed it to us to try.

Skallywag said:
Just to confirm we have gone through our travel agent and because they were getting negative assistance they passed it to us to try.
Is there a particular issue that the folks on this board could help you with?

Skallywag, so sorry about your negative assistance, but please don't let it discourage you from sailing on your Oct. cruise. :flower:

When we sailed our first DCL three years ago, I had no idea these message boards existed. Fast forward three years and 1 DVD later, I've learned so much more from these message boards than any DVD or DCL representative. Don't get me wrong, many DCL people have, fortunately, been very helpful. However, most people on these boards have first-hand 'been there, done it' experience, while DCL cast-members are in a call center, many of whom who don't have the knowledge that they do here.

I think most any question you have can be answered here. Hope that helps! :earsgirl:

Skallywag,

We will be on the same cruise in October! Like everyone else says, there is WAY more info on just 2 or 3 websites than on all of that planning DVD. However, if you are like me and just want to see the DVD and enjoy every second of planning your vacation then we would be happy to send you out one, however, I don't think it would work with your DVD format. (perhaps why Disney won't send you one??)

In any case, if you have ANY questions, feel free to send me an e-mail or a PM and I will gladly help you with anything you need.

Also, this board is a terrific wealth of information and there are tons of people who are just willing to help anyone in need of assistance...
Isn't the DIS great? :disrocks:

jrabbit said:
Here's another very helpful resource...
Magical Disney Cruise Guide (see links on the left)

The Magical Disney Cruise Guide is the free version of the passporter (therefore it might not have everything the passporter has - but it is very complete!)

(Not sure if this is okay to post -- webmasters, please remove if it is inappropriate)

The Magical Disney Cruise Guide is indeed a very helpful resource! Our friend and colleague Deb Wills at All Ears Net is now maintaining it and she always does a phenomenal job! But I do want to point out that the Magical Disney Cruise Guide is not a version of PassPorter. These two publications are completely separate. We recommend the Magical Disney Cruise Guide in PassPorter, but we were not involved in its compilation in any way.

I wasn't going to comment on this, but it was the second time I saw it mentioned so I thought I should say something. :)

Hi Brenda,

We too are from the UK and have had the same experience as you with regards to the dvd, and also other matters like buying the annual pass, trying to get a DDE card, transport from the hotel to the port, etc. I've emailed them but all I get is an automated response that doesn't answer my question.
We're going on the cruise on the 12th March, and are really looking forward to it, it's our first cruise, and I've found this board to be invaluable when it comes to tips and information:) Thank you guys!
As regards the dvd and formats, most dvd players sold in the UK are multi-region, on these types of players you can find hack codes on the net which you press on your remote which allows you to play US dvds (Region 1).
I'd love to get a cruise dvd to show my kids (hey I'd love to see it too, getting all excited now), but like you, they won't send the dvd's out from the US.
I wish I could be helpful but you're not alone in your frustration. Try not to let it spoil your excitement for the trip, it will all be worth it when you get there:)
Katherine

I'm from the UK and cruised in Dec 2003, I'm going again in Aug to LA and Then again in Dec.
Whilest understanding some of the posters frustration re the DVD all my other communication with DCL has been excellent I telephone in the evening here afternoon in Florida and get cheap rates. They have deal with all my queries in a first class manner.
With regards to the DVD I would take someone up on their kind offer to send you one as that is exactly what some kind DIS friends did for me 2 years ago I was a little worried about the format but it worked just fine.

Just so you know ahead of time you won't get a Castaway Club card once you've cruised either, DCL told me they can't issue them outside of the US. However you can ask for your number and all discounts and gifts still apply if you re book. (I'd love to have a card though :sad: ) LOL

I think we have the video and the DVD. I'd be happy to send one out if you'd like me too. I don't think my daughter has worn it out quite yet.
It is nice but it really is just a 90 minute commercial when you get right down to it. As far as useful information the Disboards has been the place for me to learn planning stategies. We'll be on the October 29th cruise qand it will be our first. :earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsgirl:

Cheers
Luckey

I think we have the video and the DVD. I'd be happy to send one out if you'd like me too. I don't think my daughter has worn it out quite yet.
It is nice but it really is just a 90 minute commercial when you get right down to it. As far as useful information the Disboards has been the place for me to learn planning stategies. We'll be on the October 29th cruise and it will be our first. :earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsgirl:

Cheers
Luckey

Just curious, since your a DVC member, why didn't you talk to member services, maybe they would be able to help you............

Well, I have had just the opposite experience when it comes to DVD's! I have two extras that are sitting unopened in my DVD library! I only requested it once, but two more followed. I'd be happy to send them out to the UK to anyone who has not yet found one! Just send me a PM with your mailing address.

Stacy :banana:

PS Skallywag: we, too, are on your cruise in October!

Thanks to everyone for their interest in our problems. We have the latest edition of Passporter which is great and read the board daily but want to live the dream before we go. We are also doing an anniversary celebration during that voyage and want to make sure this goes well.

Really feel it is too bad not to let us here in the UK have any information even a booklet would help once you have booked and Disney Vacation Club we know produce a DVD/video in format for us over here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter