things to do in Nassau

inlove678

Earning My Ears
In may me and dh are taking a 4 night cruise on the dream with 15 other members of my family. I am trying the find somethings for the two of us to do while in Nassau (also maybe a couple family members will tag along) that are affordable and close to ports since most of my family wants to go to lunch together at señor frogs (not my choice....my grandparents think it's a cool place....ill just have a drink there I'm thinking)

So I am looking for a yummy local place to eat, somewhere local to have a couple drinks, and a beach.....maybe all three together? I'm not opposed to taking a taxi but would like it to be within a 20-30 minute walk of the ship...

We are in our mid twenties with no kids and just want to have some fun relaxing time

I know lots of DIS folks like to stay on the boat in Nassau, but this will be our first time there and I would hate the waste that experience in a new culture on a boat :) even if it is amazing!!!

Thanks!

im wanting to know this too all i hear is how bad nassau is but for me and my wife were 24 no kida there has to be somthing fun to do!!!!

Another one who would like to know and was actually considering canceling our cruise with all the bad talk Nassau seems to get! I love to travel and get out and see the sights, and as excited I am to a Disney cruise I can't stand to sit there (and relax) I have to see some sort of sights, experience something new!

So those that do enjoy Nassau gives us newbies some tips (I myself am not really interest in doing the Atlantis thing so some other tips).

Been to nassau on lots of cruises. There is always the straw market right at the pier, but if you walk one aisle, you should be fine.....the rest of it is all the same and the vendors are agressive. Now if you just say no thank you, you should be fine. It is crowded and tight. We usually go to Hard Rock for Lunch and drinks. We visit all of them and you may think really? Hard Rock in the bahamas? But it's quite fun and we always get the tshirt at each port where there is one. We normally take a horse and carriage ride for about $25 total and we usually just get it when we get off the ship from the gents in the area. It's about 30 minutes long and they highlight all the major stops in the city. Of course there is Atlantis and the beach, but been there, done it so I'm all good.

I hope that helps.

I think it's a good idea to check out Nassau. For our honeymoon we stayed at a hotel on Cable Beach (I believe that's the name). Maybe you can take a taxi there.

We didn't do the horse and carriage, that sounds like a good idea too. Where about is Hard Rock?

The pirates of Nassau museum was interesting to check out at least once. We liked the straw market too. It was a unique and interesting experience. We also went in the public library and Christ Church (built in the 1800's, it's the oldest church in all the islands) to check out the incredible stained glass works and the cool pipe organ. You can just walk in...only thing is remember it is a church, so be respectful of those around you while there. We walked around and just checked out some of the general sights. We looked at the memorabilia in the front of Hard Rock (weren't hungry enough to eat because of all of the food on the ship). Oh and we went to the Del Sol store and got some Nassau specific Del Sol items.
I wanted to take the carriage ride, but when I saw the condition on the horses...:scared1: I just could not bring myself to do it. Those pooor poor horses!! :sad2:
Personally, I never felt unsafe but we were always aware of our surrondings. I do recommend getting off of the ship for a little bit to experience the culture. You will be approached about hair braiding, rides, etc...but we never had a problem when we said 'no thank you.' Enjoy.

Sorry one more question. If we book an early dolphin encounter will we have time to do another tour (on our own)?

So I am looking for a yummy local place to eat, somewhere local to have a couple drinks, and a beach.....maybe all three together? I'm not opposed to taking a taxi but would like it to be within a 20-30 minute walk of the ship...

About 1/2 mile down the road from Atlantis is the Sunrise Beach Club.... a nice resort with a local feel, right on the beach. We go to their beach (Cabbage Beach) every time we are in Nassau. $4 cab fare, per person, each way.

http://www.sunrisebeachclub.com/bahamas-activities/violas-bar-grill/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter