Things to do at Disney without Staying on Property or Tickets

belle22

Mouseketeer
We have a day in Orlando and wanted to know what we could do at Disney without tickets or staying on Disney property.

resort hopping, ride the monorail, watch fireworks from TTC or nearby resorts, Disney Springs, Character table service on Resorts locations

Free
Chip'n'Dale Campfire at Fort Wilderness
Disney Springs
Boardwalk (live performers in the evening)
Resort Hop - Monorail loop, hotels around Boardwalk, boats from Disney Springs
Watch the fireworks from the beach at Poly, the walkway at Contemporary, or TTC

Cheap(ish)
Weekend character breakfast at Garden Grove at Swan (buffet is $24.99, but I believe you can order a la carte)
Have a drink at a lounge at one of the resorts - love sitting on the balcony at Belle Vue (Boardwalk) or looking out the windows at Mizners (GF) or out on Sam's Tiki Terrace (Poly) - which is also a great spot to catch MK fireworks.

Not free (full disclosure we love the non- bus transportation):

Rent a boat at the MK area or Boardwalk area resorts

Disney springs ride type stuff like amphicars or characters in flight

Build a potato head at Disney springs (think this still exists)

Mini golf

We have when to resorts for lunch or dinner when in town but not going to disney

Came back to add --- unless you are a Disney fanatic, there are probably better ways to spend a day in Orlando than hanging around Disney without going to a park.

But, if you do want...and you aren't trying to do ultra-budget (though this is the budget board, so I'm guessing not) --- I'd do a nice dinner at a resort, fireworks from Poly beach or Sam's Tiki Terrace, then wander around the Boardwalk and (if all adults) end the night at Jellyrolls!

I would spend the day at Disney Springs. While there, you could ride the boats to the different resorts if you needed a change of scenery. You also could do a dinner at one of the resorts. The DVC resorts have movie nights and campfire events. I do not know whether or not you have to be a resort guest in order to attend those things though so you might want to call and ask.

I did a three day trip over spring break with one of my girls. We did one park day, one day at the beach in Tampa, and we spent one day at Wild Florida. It was great - took an airboat ride, got to hold a gator, and it was all pretty natural and environmental, not like gator world

If we decide to do the Monorail or any of the resorts... where should we park? How much is parking?

Park for free at Disney Springs (the Lime or Orange garage) and eat there. There are so many new choices, but if you are on a budget, we loved our $10 Blaze pizza loaded with toppings. Download their app for a free drink with purchase. There is so much to see at the Springs. Make sure to check out the boats at the boathouse (access the back dock through the restaurant). Check out the top floor at World of Coke (great views but the sugary drinks may put you into a sugar coma).

Hop the bus to the Polynesian and enjoy a Dole Whip float for dessert. We also like the pulled pork sandwiches at the casual dining place.

Check the monthly recreation schedules at the Bay Lake resorts to see which free movies they show in the evening at the different resorts. Check out the campfire marshmallow roast offered every other day at most of the resorts near the magic kingdom. Even if you don't partake, the kids are so cute to watch while they roast their marshmallows.

Take the boat to the Wilderness Lodge and enjoy a drink at the new waterside dining area Geyser Point. It has a great view and also has some interesting dining options.

We like to watch the fireworks from near the boat dock at the Grand Floridian. Check the schedule online for dates and times.

We enjoy wandering through the resorts and seeing the details we miss when doing the parks commando style. There are plenty of places to relax and the resorts are rather empty during the day. Our favorite place is the lobby of the Grand Floridian where the orchestra plays every night from around 6-9pm.

Take the bus back to Disney Springs after the fireworks and enjoy some music at places like Raglan Road or grab another bite since most of the restaurants there are open late.

Keep in mind that they moved the security checkpoints so you may have to go through security a few times when seeing the resorts around Bay Lake.

You can park for free in the Ft. Wilderness day lot & explore that area! Also, if you're visiting any of the resorts you don't have to pay to park.

Certain resorts are very strick about who can and can't park in the resort lots. GF, Poly, Baylake, BC, BW and YC. They will limit the parking to resort/convention guest and those with dinning reservations.

Park for free at Disney Springs (the Lime or Orange garage) and eat there. There are so many new choices, but if you are on a budget, we loved our $10 Blaze pizza loaded with toppings. Download their app for a free drink with purchase. There is so much to see at the Springs. Make sure to check out the boats at the boathouse (access the back dock through the restaurant). Check out the top floor at World of Coke (great views but the sugary drinks may put you into a sugar coma).

Hop the bus to the Polynesian and enjoy a Dole Whip float for dessert. We also like the pulled pork sandwiches at the casual dining place.

Check the monthly recreation schedules at the Bay Lake resorts to see which free movies they show in the evening at the different resorts. Check out the campfire marshmallow roast offered every other day at most of the resorts near the magic kingdom. Even if you don't partake, the kids are so cute to watch while they roast their marshmallows.

Take the boat to the Wilderness Lodge and enjoy a drink at the new waterside dining area Geyser Point. It has a great view and also has some interesting dining options.

We like to watch the fireworks from near the boat dock at the Grand Floridian. Check the schedule online for dates and times.

We enjoy wandering through the resorts and seeing the details we miss when doing the parks commando style. There are plenty of places to relax and the resorts are rather empty during the day. Our favorite place is the lobby of the Grand Floridian where the orchestra plays every night from around 6-9pm.

Take the bus back to Disney Springs after the fireworks and enjoy some music at places like Raglan Road or grab another bite since most of the restaurants there are open late.

Keep in mind that they moved the security checkpoints so you may have to go through security a few times when seeing the resorts around Bay Lake.

Anyone can take busses, boats and monorails for free on Disney property.

My favorite free things to do are to watch fireworks from one of the mororail resorts and to go out behind animal kingdom lodge and see the animals on the savannah.

I think we will go see the Animals behind Animal Kingdom Lodge - What time is a good time to go? What is the best transportation to get there.... Can we drive and park there or do we need to park at Disney Springs.

Is there a time limit to park at Disney Springs?

Magic Kingdom's Fireworks... Can we take shuttle from Disney Springs and watch them at one of the monorail resorts?

Thanks!

You can park at DS in one of the garage all day, but not overnight. Use the buses to go to and from.

There is a lot to do a DS, just cruise around checking everything out lots to see, if you want something to do, Movies, bowling, amphicars or characters in flight. There are 2 putt golf course's and well if you were wanting to spend$$ a bit more spend the day at one of the water parks, they do have a nice changing room with showers, you can cleanup after a day at the water park and head over to DS for dinner.

You can check out fort wilderness for campfire and movies, they have trail rides not sure of the cost.

Check out getting a Landry's card, its 25 dollars but you get a credit for 25, and if its your birthday month they give you another 25, They have lots of restaurants where you can earn points, so this might be worth checking out. EOS also sometimes offers like a free brownie or cookie when you sign up with them, but read the fine print some times the Disney location in left out of the deals.

Stop by Ghirardelli ( at DS) for a free chocolate one per person, they hand them out at the door.

Animal Kingdom lodge and check out the animals, they have a pretty good buffet here.

Watch the fireworks from the poly on the beach, or the Epcot fireworks from the boardwalk.

All great ideas...we are going in September and staying at the Poly DVC. It's 2 adults and I think I wanna try to do other things besides the park. Keep 'em coming...thank you!

I have a question- regarding nighttime fireworks,etc- In the past I always knew where to see the shows from outside parks (yeah I'm weird) But with all the new shows, how is the outside the park viewing? It seems like the new focus is on the pictures played on a building vs. fireworks.... any ideas? For example, last time we walked from Boardwalk over to Studios,and had a great view of night time fireworks from outside on the path,I think it was Star wars- Watching Mk from the Poly,etc. OR Epcot, from the Boardwalk area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter