Things about your childhood that would baffle younger people of today

Cameras with film and having to wait to see your pictures - tried to explain this concept to my oldest a few years ago, he just couldn't grasp it.

Movie theater that only played 1 movie at a time.

Having to wait until your teacher actually passed graded materials back to see your grade - no instant update on schoology.

Using encyclopedias for research.

Laying in backseat of car to sleep while parents drove. Or sitting in mom's lap in front seat. Or sitting between mom and dad in front seat. No AC, no electric locks or windows. A car with 2 doors (having to fold up seat to climb in back). With an 8 track.

I got sent to the store all the time for cigarettes for my dad. As soon as we could ride our bikes to the store we were getting his cigs.

We lived about an hour away from Carowinds amusement park near Charlotte. My dad worked in Charlotte. Several times a summer he would drop us off on his way to work and tell us to be at the car pick up at 5:30 to go home. We would be there all day with no cell phones or way to contact anyone. Today I can't imagine going to the mailbox without one. :p

We lived about an hour away from Carowinds amusement park near Charlotte. My dad worked in Charlotte. Several times a summer he would drop us off on his way to work and tell us to be at the car pick up at 5:30 to go home. We would be there all day with no cell phones or way to contact anyone. Today I can't imagine going to the mailbox without one. :p

My mom and my best friends mom used to do this at our local six flags in the summer. Drop us off and come back like 8 hours later. I was 12 when they started doing this.

Also, every winter, on Saturday mornings, my mom would drop my sisters and I off at the ice rink at our civic center. We would skate for a couple hours and then go to the library to choose books. There were 3 of us. We would call our mom on a pay phone when we were ready to leave. I remember doing this when I was 8. My older sister was 10, younger was 6. I don't think this would even be LEGAL nowadays. This was in the mid/late 80s.

Another one--- When my brother was 9 and I was 5 we talked our mother into letting us stay home after school and during the summer by ourselves.

We also had a party line until the late 70's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!