"They lived inside Disneyland. Their house is still at the park today."

irlandaise

DIS Veteran
"For years and years, tens of thousands of people walked by Owen and Dolly Pope’s house every day. No one had any idea that there was a private house on Disney property, or that Disneyland had two full-time residents who got to stay when the park shut down for the night.

The Popes moved out in 1971, but their house still stands inside the grounds of the Disneyland Resort today."

https://www.sfgate.com/disneyland/article/pope-house-hidden-home-at-disneyland-18665869.php

There's a link in the article to this Disney Parks Blog posting from 2011 about the house:

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...of-disneyland-history-at-the-circle-d-corral/

Thank you for posting this! I didn't know about it. What a cool story! I thought it was going to be about the handful who had apartments in Disneyland. My friend used to get to stay the night in DL because his dad had an apartment near the Golden Horseshoe overlooking ROA. As a kid, I always daydreamed about how neat it would be to live in DL.

I love this story! Thank you for sharing.

And I love @DizMe's story of her friends father having an apartment above ROA too. I also had no idea about that!

I always try to crane my head to look backstage when I'm on the monorail. It's so interesting to see the world behind Disneyland.

You beat me to it. I saw it yesterday on SF Gate and thought it was so cool I was going to share here and forgot until I saw it again this morning. I'd never heard of it! Fun story.

Thank you for posting this! I didn't know about it. What a cool story! I thought it was going to be about the handful who had apartments in Disneyland. My friend used to get to stay the night in DL because his dad had an apartment near the Golden Horseshoe overlooking ROA. As a kid, I always daydreamed about how neat it would be to live in DL.
Wow and how did that come to pass? Was he an Imagineer?

Wow and how did that come to pass? Was he an Imagineer?
He was an entertainer, Wally Boag. He had a very popular act in the Golden Horseshoe for many, many years. Wally, Fulton Burley, and Betty Taylor worked together in the GH. Wally wrote a lot of scripts and did various stunts, voices and such for Disney. You can still hear him in the Tiki Room as Jose the parrot (Fulton Burley is Michael). Walt gave them each an apartment near the Golden Horseshoe because they often stayed very late to get the next show ready.

I'm editing this to add that I actually found an old thread I made about the trio with pics and more info about these Disney Legends. I attended a memorial tribute to them in the old Thunder Ranch area and met some other legends like Katherine Beaumont (voice of Alice and Wendy), Richard Sherman (famous Disney songwriter with his brother, Robert), etc. Here's the link to that report if anyone is interested. https://www.disboards.com/threads/wally-boag-betty-taylor-tribute-report-with-pics.2787840/

Last edited:
He was an entertainer, Wally Boag. He had a very popular act in the Golden Horseshoe for many, many years. Wally, Fulton Burley, and Betty Taylor worked together in the GH. Wally wrote a lot of scripts and did various stunts, voices and such for Disney. You can still hear him in the Tiki Room as Jose the parrot (Fulton Burley is Michael). Walt gave them each an apartment near the Golden Horseshoe because they often stayed very late to get the next show ready.

I'm editing this to add that I actually found an old thread I made about the trio with pics and more info about these Disney Legends. I attended a memorial tribute to them in the old Thunder Ranch area and met some other legends like Katherine Beaumont (voice of Alice and Wendy), Richard Sherman (famous Disney songwriter with his brother, Robert), etc. Here's the link to that report if anyone is interested. https://www.disboards.com/threads/wally-boag-betty-taylor-tribute-report-with-pics.2787840/
If anyone deserves an apartment in Disneyland, especially at the Golden Horseshoe, it’s him. I regret not being able to see one of his shows. Barely got to see one of the last GH shows like the originals. I think those have ended now, right? What do they show there now?

Wow, that is amazing and thank you for sharing that great link! Wish I had gone to the GH in those days (I certainly could have - I'm old enough!)

This is awesome, @DizMe Thanks for digging up the link and sharing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter