There's No Sleeping at Disney! - A Oct-Nov 2020 Trip Report. MINI TR COMPLETE 5/10

Verstehen

I break for the Nautilus
Hi there and welcome to my latest trip report! I’m excited to share this trip with you. It was an unusual visit to Disney World, given it was during the Covid pandemic, and there are obviously a lot of issues surrounding that. My goal here is, aside from showing off photos, to share our experience so you can make an informed decision as to whether you want to visit Disney World during this time. I don’t think it’s a one-size-fits-all answer, and it’s something I struggled with a lot myself. I’ll strive to explain why I ultimately decided to go, and where my reservations and concerns still lie. Since so much of this trip surrounded sleep, whether it be lack of or too much, I decided this was an appropriate title.

First, let me introduce you to myself and my traveling companions.

d8F3Nrh.jpg

I’m Rachel. I’m 32, and I live right here in Orlando. I live on the north end of the city, in a charming neighborhood called College Park, pretty close to the city of Winter Park. Both were featured on the Dis’s Moving to the Magic Youtube show, so check those episodes out if you want to have a better idea of what it’s like to live in this part of Central Florida. We’re about 30 minutes away from Disney property, more if there’s traffic in downtown Orlando and the tourist districts, but honestly, I love this area and there are few other places in Orlando I’d want to live. It’s historic, unique, and beautiful.

I work full time from home doing marketing for a software company (yes, even before the pandemic). When I’m not working, I’m usually chasing around my 10-month-old and our dog, cooking, or working on a few different personal projects. I recently launched a Disney podcast with a friend of mine (not affiliated with The Dis!), and am really excited to be unleashing my nerdery into the world.

I have been a fan of the Disney parks since my grandparents started taking me when I was six. I grew up in upstate NY, and moved to Florida about 10 years ago, partially to be closer to the magic, and partially to pursue my career (which was not remote at the time). I love that the parks have something for everyone, and I really never get tired of going. I do have an annual pass and in the past have often traveled to the parks just for a day or even just a couple of hours, but obviously with having a baby and then with the pandemic, that has severely slowed down. Most of the time now, when I do go to the parks, it’s for a multi-day trip with my father when he visits from out of town.

eEQZae3.jpg

Speaking of which: my dad! He lives in upstate NY, still in the house I grew up in. He’s a semi-retired dentist still working part time, and the other part of the time he’s a volunteer EMT. So as you can imagine, he keeps very busy. He purchased DVC in 2016, first at the Polynesian, then another contract last year at the Riviera. When he comes to town, he prefers to stay in a hotel over our house (which is fine by me as we really no longer have space for guests), so this was his way of being able to visit often without having to intrude on us. He’s not the biggest Disney fan there is, but he’s grown to appreciate it over the years, especially when it comes to the food and drink options. And of course, it’s now a way for him to connect with his granddaughter. He typically comes twice a year: once in the late winter with my younger sister, and once in the fall without her. So this served as his yearly fall trip.

exm46eC.jpg

Also joining us was my daughter, April, who was a little over nine months old during this trip. She has been the brightest spot in this absolutely crazy and terrible year. She is so silly and sweet, and probably the best first baby I could have asked for. One big positive about this trip was getting to see her finally take in the rides and attractions, since during our last trip in late February, when she was only six weeks old, she pretty much slept on every ride, and in fact through most of the trip itself. I can’t say she was a perfect angel every second, but she was a real trooper and I’m glad she got to have the experiences she did.

Making a special guest appearance is my husband, Alex (no picture, but you can see him in my other reports!). If you’ve read my other reports, you know that he does not like Disney and he does not tend to stay with us on these trips, preferring to instead enjoy the silence of an empty house for a few days. This time, he actually did consider taking a few days off work so he could join us (and not be away from his baby for too long) but he works for the local news and sadly, due to it being the week before and of the election, and an impending rocket launch in the area as well, no one at his station was allowed to take time off. We did, however, see him for part of the trip!

On to the details of this trip. We stayed 6 nights, from October 28-November 3rd, in a preferred view studio at the Riviera resort. It was our first time staying there since purchasing a DVC contract here last year. You may notice that our trip ended on Election day. Yeah, I’m not sure why we picked those days either. I’ll try not to get political in this report, but it’s relevant to say that I had a LOT of anxiety in the days leading up to that Tuesday, and it unfortunately put a little bit of a cloud over our trip, especially when combined with my Covid anxieties.

Besides Covid and the election, there was of course the challenge of traveling with an infant. If you read my last report, you know that traveling with a newborn had its own unique challenges, and there were definitely advantages and disadvantages to going again several months later. If you are thinking of bringing a child around April’s age to Disney, I hope I’ll be able to offer you some perspective and insight as to what to expect.

With all that out of the way, thank you for making it this far, and I hope you’ll follow along on this journey!

Following! I remember your last TR when your daughter was a newborn! She is adorable.

When I lived in Orlando a looong time ago (2004-2007) I lived in College Park. Love that neighborhood!

We were there the week of the election and I thought it was a good distraction. Otherwise I would have been obsessively checking for updates every five minutes!

Following along. Looking forward to reading more about your adventures

Joining in! I can't believe how big April is now!

I can't wait for the rest of your trip report. I am very interested on your take on everything with covid and disney.
I haven't read your first TR. do you have a link to it? Thanks so much!

Hi, I’m following along too! I really miss Disney and it helps to feel the joy from other people’s trips so thank you for writing this trip report! A funny note is that I’m also Rachel and I also have a 9 1/2 month old daughter 😊 It will be fun to see how your trip goes with baby April!

Following! I've followed along on your other TR's. Your daughter is adorable and really growing!

Following along! Can't wait to read about your adventures :)

Welcome!

Following along. I can't get over how big April has gotten!

Me neither! haha. Every day I'm in amazement.

Following! I remember your last TR when your daughter was a newborn! She is adorable.

When I lived in Orlando a looong time ago (2004-2007) I lived in College Park. Love that neighborhood!

We were there the week of the election and I thought it was a good distraction. Otherwise I would have been obsessively checking for updates every five minutes!

I still checked for updates often. It was bad. And led to some uncomfortable conversations with my dad who doesn't always see eye-to-eye with me. But I think overall it was a net positive to spend those last few stressful days with family instead of stewing at home.

That's so cool that you used to live in College Park! We really love it here. We're currently renting but are hoping to buy a house in the next year or so.

Following! Can’t wait to hear more about your experience of CoViD Disney!

Welcome! It's definitely unlike any other Disney experience any of us will have in our lifetimes...for better or worse.

Following along. Looking forward to reading more about your adventures

Thank you and welcome!

Joining in! I can't believe how big April is now!

It's crazy. She's in a high percentile for height and weight, and me being a small person I just don't even know what to make of that.

I can't wait for the rest of your trip report. I am very interested on your take on everything with covid and disney.
I haven't read your first TR. do you have a link to it? Thanks so much!

Welcome! I didn't post the link above, but the other report links are in my signature. Here's my most recent one before this.

Hi, I’m following along too! I really miss Disney and it helps to feel the joy from other people’s trips so thank you for writing this trip report! A funny note is that I’m also Rachel and I also have a 9 1/2 month old daughter 😊 It will be fun to see how your trip goes with baby April!

Aw how neat! I hope I can provide you some joy, even though I will admit it wasn't the greatest trip, but there was still fun to be had!

Following! I've followed along on your other TR's. Your daughter is adorable and really growing!

Thank you so much!

Day 0 (Tuesday, October 27)

I’ll be blunt. I had assumed, for a really long time, that this trip was not going to happen. We booked it right before the pandemic hit, and once we were a few months into it and there was no end in sight, I just didn’t see how we could safely follow through with a multi-day trip to Disney with my spry-but-elderly father, who was coming from New York, a state that as of this writing still has a quarantine order to people who travel from Florida. But we held on because I knew it would mean so much to my dad to be able to spend time with his grandchild, and truth be told I was looking forward to a nice staycation, even if masks would be involved much of the time.

If this trip had happened a week or even a few days later, there’s a good chance I would have followed through with cancelling. I think just like a day or two before was when headlines started appearing saying cases were on the rise again pretty much all over the country, and going to Disney seemed reckless. I don’t know that I would recommend anyone go right now at all. But, I’ll spare you the suspense: We went, we had a pretty good time, and we were all Covid-free before and after the trip. I have no doubt, just based on sheer numbers, that we at least walked by some infected people while we were there, but I do think Disney is doing as good of a job as they can to mitigate spread, and yes they are being VERY strict with their measures. It’s not perfect, but I think it’s allowing people some bit of normalcy in these really difficult times. Still though, given the sharp incline of cases over the past few weeks, I personally do not feel comfortable returning now, or really going anywhere I don’t have to.

Anyway, moving on to the pre-trip day. Because all great reports start during that strange, magical day before you actually set foot on Disney property, or make your way there.

My day was not very exciting, and where it was interesting, it was also stressful. I worked that day, and as many of you probably know, the last workday before a vacation is often filled to the brim with tasks that just keep piling on as your coworkers and supervisors realize they won’t have access to you for several days. I usually like to work from a to-do list, but the day was so hectic that I pretty much had to throw that routine out the window and just address and triage issues as they came in. But it all worked out, and I was able to finish up my day at my usual end time of 5:30 pm, with a promise from my boss that she would try very hard not to bother me while I was out.

Despite my heavy workday, I did still have my breaks and lunch to get some stuff done. I used my break time to clean the kitchen as thoroughly as possible and wash as many dishes as I could, so that Alex wouldn’t have to deal with a mess while I was gone. I also made two batches of mini muffins for April: oatmeal apple cinnamon muffins, and omelette muffins. They are very easy to make and if you have a child ready for solid foods, I highly recommend investing in a mini muffin tin for really easy breakfasts. The apple muffin batter was enough for two tins, so I froze the second half of the batch.

I also tried intermittently to grab a reservation at the Sci-Fi Dine in Theater for our Hollywood Studios day (I do miss the days where you could be flexible with when your reservation was i.e. the days before park passes) as I had done for the past several weeks. It’s my dad’s favorite HS and he always asks if we can go. I did not have any luck, as expected. I wasn’t too torn up about it, as dining there with a 10-month-old seemed a particularly hellish challenge, but I decided we could always try to get on the same-day waiting list. Stay tuned to find out if that turned out!

At the end of the workday, I got started with dinner (Bolognese sauce that had to simmer for a couple of hours), then I took April and left for a Covid test.

The good thing right now is that Covid tests are very easy to get here. AdventHealth has clinics all over the area that offer rapid tests by appointment, and several other places such as CVS offer lab tests by appointment. Both types are free. I had asked my dad to get a test before he traveled for my peace of mind, and even though he said it wasn’t necessary, I wanted confirmation that we (in all likelihood, as the tests are not 100% accurate) would not be passing anything on to him either.

I made the appointment for myself at a local AdventHealth clinic for a rapid test, but I hadn’t realized that the location was only offering tests to children. After some confusion, I asked if they could test April instead, and they said yes. It was very easy; a quick swab and she didn’t cry at all. I felt embarrassed for my mistake but grateful that everything worked out. A few minutes later, she was declared Covid-free, and we went home.

When we got home, I ate dinner and then set to boiling eggs. This has become one of the traditions/hallmarks of my trips with my dad. We generally don’t do breakfasts out, and instead have some staples prepared for quick breakfasts in the room. I suspect this will change somewhat as April gets older and character breakfasts come back, but for now this is our norm. We both love some hardboiled eggs with mayo and crushed rice crackers (provides the perfect amount of salt and crunch), so I typically make a bunch the night before the trip.

After that, it was time to get April ready for bed. While I was getting her ready, I got this text from my dad.

R8nSX98.jpg

This wasn’t a huge deal, as his original flight had him getting it at noon. It would make the morning a little more hectic, and I warned him I might be a bit late picking him up, but it didn’t seem like a big deal. He was checking a bag too, so that left us with some extra padding of time to get him.

I should mention that usually, my dad does Magical Express, as it’s more convenient and because I usually work the first day of our trips. But this time, it seemed like a smarter move to limit the amount of time he would spend in close quarters with strangers, even masked. Plus, since Covid hit I had not used any PTO days since I got back from maternity leave, so I decided to take advantage of the excess and took the entire first and last day of our trip off, which is unusual for me. So the plan was for me to pick him up, then drive us to Disney property.

Once April was in bed, I still had one more task to complete before I could hit the hay. As I mentioned in my intro, I recently started a podcast, and my cohost and I had an episode to record that night. It was a really fun discussion, and I ended up going way past what I intended, but we got it recorded and once that was done, I was able to finally get some rest, with a wakeup call of about 9 am.

Up next: Travel day! Does it go smoothly? Read on to find out.

Following! We have a 3 month old and will be going next year. She will be 15 months then, but it will be nice to see how it played out with a little one.

f this trip had happened a week or even a few days later, there’s a good chance I would have followed through with cancelling. I think just like a day or two before was when headlines started appearing saying cases were on the rise again pretty much all over the country, and going to Disney seemed reckless. I don’t know that I would recommend anyone go right now at all.

I feel exactly the same way that we were hesitant to go, and if our trip was just a few weeks later than when it was we might have cancelled. Cases seem to be going up dramatically pretty much everywhere. I am a little disappointed as I see so many more restaurants are opening up at WDW than when we were there, but I know we wouldn't feel comfortable there now so I'm glad we went when we did!

Following! We have a 3 month old and will be going next year. She will be 15 months then, but it will be nice to see how it played out with a little one.

Thanks! I hope you all have a good trip next year. Hopefully things will be much better by then.

I feel exactly the same way that we were hesitant to go, and if our trip was just a few weeks later than when it was we might have cancelled. Cases seem to be going up dramatically pretty much everywhere. I am a little disappointed as I see so many more restaurants are opening up at WDW than when we were there, but I know we wouldn't feel comfortable there now so I'm glad we went when we did!

Yeah, I feel like we made it just in time and really lucked out. I think even going now is so different than even a few weeks ago, and it's crazy to me that Disney is talking about increasing capacity and allowing park hopping again (even though that theoretically won't affect capacity). I know it's hypocritical of me to say people shouldn't go, since I went, but I definitely don't feel safe going out anymore. We know a lot of people who have gotten sick in just the last few weeks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter