Heigh Ho, Heigh Ho, It's off to run we go! A new and improved Teetz running Journal

What an intense game. The recap was awesome, but I was sad to find out they lost.

Glad you got all that registration crap cleared up. What a mess RD created.

I don't think it's strange at all to be that invested in HS sports. My husband is the assistant coach for our town's HS basketball team and I absolutely love it. Being able to invest in the lives of young players is so special. I am so sorry the season didn't end how you hoped, I can understand the heartbreak. The best part, however, is that these memories will shape everyone involved in a positive way... that's a long-run thing, short-term, I know it sucks.

Side Note... have you ever thought of becoming a teacher/coach? I think it'd be a great career choice for you if you decide your current course isn't for you. :)

I don't think it's strange at all to be that invested in HS sports. My husband is the assistant coach for our town's HS basketball team and I absolutely love it. Being able to invest in the lives of young players is so special. I am so sorry the season didn't end how you hoped, I can understand the heartbreak. The best part, however, is that these memories will shape everyone involved in a positive way... that's a long-run thing, short-term, I know it sucks.

Side Note... have you ever thought of becoming a teacher/coach? I think it'd be a great career choice for you if you decide your current course isn't for you. :)
I do love coaching. Teaching is just a terrible profession to be in right now. I have 5 teachers in my family including my mom.

I love high school sports, what an absolute heartbreaker. I don't miss much from high school, but sports is definitely what I miss the most. I can't wait to hear more about your upcoming football season!

In high school, I was the student manager of the football team for 3 years and the basketball team for one year. All coaches in all sports treated me like I was just as important to the success as the players were. And in turn wound up teaching me incredibly important life lessons about what it means to be part of a team. I learned that even my "small" contributions became tremendously valuable to what we were working to accomplish. In part because of how coach treated everybody, whatever teasing I endured early on from football players ceased entirely before long.

I breathed football then. Even today, more than 20 years after leaving high school, there is still something so very special about fall and the start of football season. I can almost sense it in the August air. My coach once wrote in my yearbook, you can take the man out of football, but you can never take football out of the man.

2 years ago, I went to the retirement party for my high school football coach. He had coached for almost 30 years at my high school alone and had over 10 years of coaching various sports before he came to my high school. We saw a lot of success in football. We also knew some heartbreaking losses, one of which none us on that team are still completely over. But looking back on high school, I can truthfully say that the most valuable preparation I had for life after high school came on the football field. I I learned that you deal with disappointment through moving on. I learned that you deal with success humbly. I learned that you deal with disappointment by taking responsibility for your mistakes, learning from them, and moving on. Blaming others? Nope. This was on you, even if it wasn't. Coach helped prepare us to be men. Good men. Honest men. The right kind of men.

High school is the last time where most people even have the opportunity to play team sports. Of the very best all conference players at my high school (and we have a very small number of alumni who have gone on to play professionally in the NFL and Major League Baseball), only a few went on to college sports. So really you have the opportunity to help shape and mold lives. If a player makes a serious mistake off the field, a high school coach can hold him or her accountable now and teach him or her that mistakes do not have to define you, but must be corrected. You can show someone that how they treat others today may help determine how they treat others tomorrow. You can help someone learn today how to deal with tomorrow's disappointment, even though that disappointment may not be anywhere near a playing surface.

To some degree, the anguish of that tough loss will be with you and the players for a long time. But also recognize that in time you will be able to look back with a great sense of accomplishment on the successes you did achieve. And don't feel bad for talking about it. You need to process it. Because yes, it hurts. And that's okay.

In high school, I was the student manager of the football team for 3 years and the basketball team for one year. All coaches in all sports treated me like I was just as important to the success as the players were. And in turn wound up teaching me incredibly important life lessons about what it means to be part of a team. I learned that even my "small" contributions became tremendously valuable to what we were working to accomplish. In part because of how coach treated everybody, whatever teasing I endured early on from football players ceased entirely before long.

I breathed football then. Even today, more than 20 years after leaving high school, there is still something so very special about fall and the start of football season. I can almost sense it in the August air. My coach once wrote in my yearbook, you can take the man out of football, but you can never take football out of the man.

2 years ago, I went to the retirement party for my high school football coach. He had coached for almost 30 years at my high school alone and had over 10 years of coaching various sports before he came to my high school. We saw a lot of success in football. We also knew some heartbreaking losses, one of which none us on that team are still completely over. But looking back on high school, I can truthfully say that the most valuable preparation I had for life after high school came on the football field. I I learned that you deal with disappointment through moving on. I learned that you deal with success humbly. I learned that you deal with disappointment by taking responsibility for your mistakes, learning from them, and moving on. Blaming others? Nope. This was on you, even if it wasn't. Coach helped prepare us to be men. Good men. Honest men. The right kind of men.

High school is the last time where most people even have the opportunity to play team sports. Of the very best all conference players at my high school (and we have a very small number of alumni who have gone on to play professionally in the NFL and Major League Baseball), only a few went on to college sports. So really you have the opportunity to help shape and mold lives. If a player makes a serious mistake off the field, a high school coach can hold him or her accountable now and teach him or her that mistakes do not have to define you, but must be corrected. You can show someone that how they treat others today may help determine how they treat others tomorrow. You can help someone learn today how to deal with tomorrow's disappointment, even though that disappointment may not be anywhere near a playing surface.

To some degree, the anguish of that tough loss will be with you and the players for a long time. But also recognize that in time you will be able to look back with a great sense of accomplishment on the successes you did achieve. And don't feel bad for talking about it. You need to process it. Because yes, it hurts. And that's okay.
Well said. This is why I think high school sports are so important. They teach you so many important life lessons such as dealing with a tough loss like we did. I am the way I am due to being part of high school sports for the majority of my life. Before I played I was the ball boy, then I played, and now I coach.

Well said. This is why I think high school sports are so important. They teach you so many important life lessons such as dealing with a tough loss like we did. I am the way I am due to being part of high school sports for the majority of my life. Before I played I was the ball boy, then I played, and now I coach.
Very true. High school football helped prepare me to deal with more "important" disappointments later on in life. If I could find the strength to do the cheer we always did when we pulled up in front of the high school after a devastating loss even if the bus ride home felt like 12 hours (it was really an hour or so at most), then I can certainly find the strength to keep going after something much more difficult and longer lasting in life. I sort of disagree with those who say sports cannot teach character. Yes, to a degree they cannot. They are "just" games. But coaches who care more that their athletes become better human beings than star athletes can teach vitally important lessons of character and accountability. And being "just" the manager taught me that even the small contributions can be huge later on. In one instance, the coaches were scrambling to get everyone on the bus. We were probably running a little bit behind and had a longer drive to get to the game. When we got to the game, the coaches realized that none of them had put the bag of footballs on the bus that included the kicking tees. Concern set in until they saw the bag of footballs under the bus where it was supposed to be. How did it get there? I put it there because it needed to be there. The coaches never worried about the bag of footballs again because they knew I had it covered. A small contribution? Perhaps. But everybody taking care of their responsibility has far reaching impact in the end.

Coaches and schools that help teach students personal accountability and responsibility today will likely (and hopefully) discover that their students go on to become responsible adults. And that is more important than any on the field success.

Coaches and schools that help teach students personal accountability and responsibility today will likely (and hopefully) discover that their students go on to become responsible adults. And that is more important than any on the field success.
Agreed 100%. On the baseball side, our team had something like a 3.9 combined GPA. Not only do we want them to be successful on the field but also in school and in life. Like you said very few go onto play collegiately. We have one going to play Division 2 baseball and one going to play Division 2 football. The other 6 seniors are going onto highly regarded universities or into an apprenticeship. Our baseball program is very tight nit in that alumni are always returning to catch games or help out where they can. They know the importance of the program they came from and the success the the kids on the team right now can have both on and off the field.

Hello neighbor! Glad I caught up on your report and so sorry about the season. Our middle son played high school baseball up until this summer, so we know your team. I wouldn't call our team a "rival" because you always beat us - we're more of a theatre school. :) In any event, I'm guessing we've been to at least a few of the same games.

Appreciate your life updates. UWM sounds like a much better fit, and sounds like you have a great plan in place moving forward. Everyone here gave you fantastic advice.

As for motivation, I like to run every day but I'm with you regarding motivation to run the longer distances right now. I'm highly motivated training for Disney races (especially for Goofy 2018 with a @DopeyBadger plan.) But Lakefront Marathon is coming up and running 4 miles/day isn't going to be sufficient (did that last year - not a good idea after mile 15.) So I'm planning to register for a few 10Ks and half marathons to generate more distance enthusiasm.

I'm not a fan of Brewers Mini. After you pass Harley, just boring and too quiet. Even Miller Valley was blah. I think the 10K distance for the Brewers Mini would be better. Crummy that you can't do Madison Mini - I really like that one. I'd highly recommend the Whitewater half, and I'm strongly considering the Lake Country half in September. Later in the year, Last Call is definitely one of my favorites! Good luck with the plan!

Hello neighbor! Glad I caught up on your report and so sorry about the season. Our middle son played high school baseball up until this summer, so we know your team. I wouldn't call our team a "rival" because you always beat us - we're more of a theatre school. :) In any event, I'm guessing we've been to at least a few of the same games.

Appreciate your life updates. UWM sounds like a much better fit, and sounds like you have a great plan in place moving forward. Everyone here gave you fantastic advice.

As for motivation, I like to run every day but I'm with you regarding motivation to run the longer distances right now. I'm highly motivated training for Disney races (especially for Goofy 2018 with a @DopeyBadger plan.) But Lakefront Marathon is coming up and running 4 miles/day isn't going to be sufficient (did that last year - not a good idea after mile 15.) So I'm planning to register for a few 10Ks and half marathons to generate more distance enthusiasm.

I'm not a fan of Brewers Mini. After you pass Harley, just boring and too quiet. Even Miller Valley was blah. I think the 10K distance for the Brewers Mini would be better. Crummy that you can't do Madison Mini - I really like that one. I'd highly recommend the Whitewater half, and I'm strongly considering the Lake Country half in September. Later in the year, Last Call is definitely one of my favorites! Good luck with the plan!
Now I’m trying to figure out which school yours is!

Yes UWM has worked out much better so far.

I’m with you. I’ve been pretty much running a 5K or a little longer for most of my runs. For wine and dine and Dopey I really need to start adding longer runs but the motivation and time frankly hasn’t been there.

I didn’t know whitewater had a half so I’ll have to check that one out. The only reason I thought the brewers mini would be best was because it’s so close and for a PR.

Ahhh, high school sports! I live in a really small town that has one major high school and then some other smaller charter like schools that go to 12th grade. My 6 year old goes to one of the charter schools because the class sizes are smaller. And while, yes they have sports teams, I feel like because of how small the school is they are limited to only a few sports. So when she hits 9th grade, we will move her over to the big high school because of everything that you and @Sleepless Knight have been saying is exactly how I feel. She needs that opportunity to be on a team and learn from it. I was on swim team during high school and while it was a pretty individual sport, we still wanted to win as a team. So yeah, I just wanted to through that out there. Carry on. Haha.

Ahhh, high school sports! I live in a really small town that has one major high school and then some other smaller charter like schools that go to 12th grade. My 6 year old goes to one of the charter schools because the class sizes are smaller. And while, yes they have sports teams, I feel like because of how small the school is they are limited to only a few sports. So when she hits 9th grade, we will move her over to the big high school because of everything that you and @Sleepless Knight have been saying is exactly how I feel. She needs that opportunity to be on a team and learn from it. I was on swim team during high school and while it was a pretty individual sport, we still wanted to win as a team. So yeah, I just wanted to through that out there. Carry on. Haha.
Over a 3 or 4 year period in the late 1990s, the worst finish BYU Women's Cross Country had at the NCAA championship meet was 2nd. In the middle of this run, the head coach was explaining why cross country was actually a team sport instead of the individual sport most people think it is. He explained that the team scores are tabulated using the top 5 runners from each team. In one national championship meet, one of BYU's best runners with an eye on a podium finish fell down early in the race and that ended all her individual hopes right then and there. But she fought through everything and battled through to finish just ahead of the 5th runner from another highly ranked school. And that finish made all the difference between national champion and runner up.

Even individual sports have team components. And learning to help the team win makes all the difference in world in real life where a family is a team.

Are people still reading this thing?

Well I am still crazy busy. Running has been cut down a bit right now due to that. This week I started coaching football and our State Fair started which I work. If you want to follow along on my food adventure with that add me on Facebook or on Twitter. I am taking guesses for how much weight I will gain during the fair. @Keels is worried about my cholesterol.

Participation/numbers for football at out school is down which is never good. We will make the best of it and try our best of course though.

I am debating signing up for the Brewers mini solely for proof of time for January but it probably won't be a great time anyways with my current lack of running. The race is at the end of September so I still have some time but likely wouldn't be a great training cycle. At the very least it would help with my wine and dine training.

The Milwaukee Marathon race event is back on during a new date this coming year also under new management. I ran the 10K with several Disers last year. However both he 10K and Full were incorrectly measured so we didn't run the full distances. This will be the 3rd new ownership group in 4 years of this event I believe. Maybe its just doomed?

Anyone have any costume ideas for me for runDisney races? I am slacking and have been so busy I haven't even begun to think about that. I was thinking a Chef Mickey theme maybe for Wine and Dine.

Well that is all for now...

Are people still reading this thing?
Well sure, because why not? :wave2:

Well I am still crazy busy. Running has been cut down a bit right now due to that. This week I started coaching football and our State Fair started which I work. If you want to follow along on my food adventure with that add me on Facebook or on Twitter. I am taking guesses for how much weight I will gain during the fair. @Keels is worried about my cholesterol.
Fair food is the absolute best! Which is why I never go anymore. Post pics, I will live vicariously through you. I'd bet you don't gain more than 5 pounds. You're young. Live it up while you can!

Anyone have any costume ideas for me for runDisney races? I am slacking and have been so busy I haven't even begun to think about that. I was thinking a Chef Mickey theme maybe for Wine and Dine.
Chef Mickey or either of the other chefs from the medals could work but I'd bet there would be a ton of people with the same theme. It could be easy to put together though if you're short on time. I cant wait to see the creativity of the runners. I'm not creative, so I'll probably just dress as a runner.:worried:

Enjoy the fair and football! I can't believe it's already football season.

Well sure, because why not? :wave2:

Fair food is the absolute best! Which is why I never go anymore. Post pics, I will live vicariously through you. I'd bet you don't gain more than 5 pounds. You're young. Live it up while you can!

Chef Mickey or either of the other chefs from the medals could work but I'd bet there would be a ton of people with the same theme. It could be easy to put together though if you're short on time. I cant wait to see the creativity of the runners. I'm not creative, so I'll probably just dress as a runner.:worried:

Enjoy the fair and football! I can't believe it's already football season.
Well at least someone is still reading!

Fair food is the best. So far I have had...

Deep fried lasagna bites
Chicken Bombs (deep fried balls that are made of mashed potatoes gravy and chicken covered in buffalo bbq sauce.
A Wisconsin baked potato (with bacon, sour cream, cheese, and butter)
A famous Saz's combo plate (sour cream and chive fries, cheese curds, and mozzarella sticks)

Yeah I am betting a lot of people will have the chef theme.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter