The year of living Disney TR - Winter edition! Update! 11/27/17 mini November trip report

We made it! We left Denver in a snow storm and arrived in sunny FL!

Isn't that the best?
Leave cold and snow and arrive to palm trees and sun?

Opera cake and mini Mickey dome- they were delicious!

mmm... those look good!

After wandering through the crowds at DS we went iver to the Poly to meet up with @chunkymonkey and @LindseyJo22 for a drink, it was a lot of fun

Yay for DISmeets!

We started our day saying goodbye to to POR and headed over to the contemporary for a breakfast Dismeet with @chunkymonkey and @Elevationist

More DISmeets! Nice!

Wow I'm
Short!

:laughing:

of course we got the room at the very end of the hallway. Woo hoo! More walking!

Ugh. Because it's what everyone wants after walking all day in the parks... more walking.

But in all honesty it's cool because it's on the fifth floor overlooking the canal and we got a cool huge pie shaped balcony.

Okay... in that case... score!

we walked over to Epcot for the evening and had dinner at Teppan Edo

Kay and I really enjoyed Teppan Edo too!

:eek:So you know how you go to Disney and a 24 hour time span seems like only 12? I think time has played a fast forward kind of trick on me! The days are flying by

I know, right! It's like... an eternity to get to Disney... and a blink of an eye to leave it.

I've been exhausting poor Devin and she may never want to "Disney" with me again :rotfl:

:laughing: I hear that! I broke Ruby that way.

img_2088-jpg.222768

img_2087-jpg.222769

Great EE shots! :laughing:

the mornings were beautiful the week we were there, a little cooler and very comfortable for us Colorado folks

Nice.

MK was really busy that morning and they were sending pretty much everyone thru the metal detectors. That's something I noticed throughout most of the trip. No more "you've been randomly selected to go through". It was most everyone they were sending through.

Noticed that too. At least at MK.

We then went to BOG for lunch and it was good, pretty standard BOG food, but we sat in the west wing which was new for me so that was cool.

Love the West Wing. My fave part of BOG.

If you've never had the pulled pork cheese fries ( I think we were at Flame Tree BBQ) you must put them on your list! They are fries smothered in liquid cheese topped with pulled pork and drizzled with BBQ sauce.....yum!!!

Whoa! Those look.... pretty darned good!
I miss French Fries. I haven't had any in a while.

Has anyone ever noticed how f a r the busses drop you off from the front of the park? It's like it's own Wild Africa Trek right there.

"Oh, you walked a long way didn't you? You must be thirsty. Why don't you buy an overpriced beverage?"

We did, however get a small glimpse of Pandora and the progress of the floating mountains.

::yes:: It did look pretty cool. I think they captured the floating rocks pretty well, from the little I saw.

have seen lots of promo's on TV about it lately and I must say it's got me interested!

ditto

Seriously, the shoes they had on they put into plastic bags and secured with rubber bands at the top so not one drop of water gets through. No girls, they give you a raft to ride in, you don't have to body surf the whole way. :sad2:

:laughing:

We walked off our wet butts and decided to go back to the resort for some much needed pool time. Ironic, you dry off your butt just to get in the pool and get it wet again...

:laughing: That does sound a little weird.
Reminds me of people who run out of the pool when it's raining.
(No, not thunderstorms... I get that.)

Anyhow, in my opinion the Beach/Yacht club has the very best pool.

It certainly is the prettiest.

The sandy bottom feels amazing on tired feet

I can only imagine.

I will spare you the horror of me in a swimsuit

:laughing: Oh, I'm sure no one would've complained.

After a couple of blissful hours at the pool we rested in the room for a while and got cleaned up for our one Signature ADR for this trip, Yachtsman Steakhouse!

I was really looking forward to this dinner, as Yachtsman has been on my bucket list for a while now, and it was everything I had hoped for..

It's on my list too. Some day....

We started with the lovely lobster bisque

Oh, man... Want.

I went traditional with the filet, a perfect medium rare, with the most insanely good mashed potatoes on the planet.

image-jpeg.225521

Dang that looks good! Double want!

And we each had a creme brûlée to top it all off.

:faint: Triple want.

After dinner we waddled back to our room and turned on our favorite channel, which happened to be the only one we watched the whole trip. Can you guess which channel it was???

ESPN!

no?

We love the "information" channel too! It's so much less jarring to turn on the tv and hear a lilting classical version of a favorite Disney song rather than being greeted immediately by THE MUST DOS THAT YOU MUST DO TO DO YOUR MUST DOS AT DISNEY WORLD! (I do love Stacy but yeesh!) also discovered the Mickey shorts channel last time and we love that one too :thumbsup2

Ahhh....Beach Club...cannot wait to go back there in two months! Good to see after all these years the ducks still enjoy hanging out at the pool. We've seen them in the pool on past trips!

The WDW today channel! It almost became a challenge to us at first, to see if we could just watch one thing and not flip channels the whole time, but after a couple of days we got so used to it being on in the background we started to guess which song would be playing when we turned it back on. ( we never did guess right) Ok, so we "listened" to it more than we watched it, but the music is so nice and soothing! We are weird, I know.

Good guessing though everyone!

I knew it had to be one of the WDW channels. We had this one playing a lot too because the TV automatically turned on to this channel and I used it to check out the park times and weather. And the music is great!!

ahem..... well... trying to catch up again....

Don't you worry one bit, I'm still doing the same

Isn't that the best?
Leave cold and snow and arrive to palm trees and sun?

It is the best! Except we haven't gotten much snow here his Winter, people are starting to freak out because Summer aka fire season is going to be dicey here, everything right now is crispy and brown. Never thought I'd wish for snow, but...

I know, right! It's like... an eternity to get to Disney... and a blink of an eye to leave it.

I know, right? What is up with that?

hear that! I broke Ruby that way.

I guess some of us are more suited to commando park touring than others.

Whoa! Those look.... pretty darned good!
I miss French Fries. I haven't had any in a while.

They were delicious! No fries in a while? What gives?

Bam! Caught up!

Look at you go! Impressive. Most impressive.

Looks like I'll be missing you at DL by about a month, hope you guys have an awesome trip! Is Kay getting excited?

also discovered the Mickey shorts channel last time and we love that one too :thumbsup2

Oh, I've never found that one! I'll have to look for it next time.

Ahhh....Beach Club...cannot wait to go back there in two months!

How awesome! It's such a beautiful and relaxing resort. Do you have big plans for your upcoming trip?

We had this one playing a lot too because the TV automatically turned on to this channel and I used it to check out the park times and weather. And the music is great!!

I love the music!!!

Do they have aversions to people eating beef near them too, I'm sure there are non beef things on the menu :)
No, they are fine with beef at the table, they just don't care for it themselves. DD9 and I eat steak often at home, the other two usually have chicken. I just need to convince them the a steakhouse can still do chicken as well as beef. Or just send them over to Beaches and Cream while DD9 and I have a date night!

It is the best! Except we haven't gotten much snow here his Winter

Oh....... do be quiet.

:sad2:

people are starting to freak out because Summer aka fire season is going to be dicey here, everything right now is crispy and brown. Never thought I'd wish for snow, but...

Oh, okay. I rescind my :sad2:

I guess some of us are more suited to commando park touring than others.

Yup. and one of those ain't Ruby.

They were delicious! No fries in a while? What gives?

Gave 'em up in 2015 on a bet with Kay.
Last year, gave up potato chips.

Haven't decided what to do this year, so....
Haven't had either.

Looks like I'll be missing you at DL by about a month, hope you guys have an awesome trip! Is Kay getting excited?

Poop.

And yep! She sure is!

So happy to hear your one signature was worth it! Yachtsman has become a true favorite of ours. Absolutely nothing can beat that perfect filet!

Once we made the 5 mile walk from the bus into AK

I hate that particular walk....

Not as bad as the one from the buses to The Little Mermaid section of AoA though.... :rolleyes1

Seriously, the shoes they had on they put into plastic bags and secured with rubber bands at the top so not one drop of water gets through.

Live a little, Girls. :rolleyes:

I am a big fan of Kali but if you've ever been to Disneyland and have ridden Grizzly River Run it wins the battle of the circle raft rides hands down.:worship:

Ok, I'll have to put this one on my list of rides for saturday.

The sandy bottom feels amazing on tired feet

I don't think I'd ever get tired of that. I wonder if a Pablo or Raul would take care of the rest of me poolside?

I went traditional with the filet, a perfect medium rare, with the most insanely good mashed potatoes on the planet.

image-jpeg.225521

Not a huge steak fan and certainly don't eat it regularly, but when I do, it'd better be a nice as this on you describe!

No, they are fine with beef at the table, they just don't care for it themselves. DD9 and I eat steak often at home, the other two usually have chicken. I just need to convince them the a steakhouse can still do chicken as well as beef. Or just send them over to Beaches and Cream while DD9 a

I think that's a great idea, splitting up so you all get what you like best, and they are so close to each other to boot!

Oh....... do be quiet.

I recall my " no snow" statement. We just got 8 inches of snow on Friday. Springtime in Colorado!

So happy to hear your one signature was worth it! Yachtsman has become a true favorite of ours. Absolutely nothing can beat that perfect filet!

It was very worth it! And you're right about the perfect filet, yum!

Not as bad as the one from the buses to The Little Mermaid section of AoA though.... :rolleyes1

I haven't had the pleasure of the walk from the busses to the LM section, but I've read from others that it's a doozy. And especially at the end of the day when your feet are killing you...ouch

Ok, I'll have to put this one on my list of rides for saturday.

Please do! I'm so excited for your upcoming trip & dismeets!

I don't think I'd ever get tired of that. I wonder if a Pablo or Raul would take care of the rest of me poolside?

I'm sure one or both would more than happy to accommodate you :o

Last edited:
Bout time for an update, don'tcha think?

Day 5
We woke up to a lot of fog this morning, which made the Beach Club feel very New Englandy! I love me a foggy day, it's just cozy.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
We waited at the boat dock for just about 10 minutes and soon were sailing away to Hollywood Studios. I love the boat rides to the parks, such a relaxing way to get there as opposed to being crammed in a bus.

First we tackled TSMM, I always feel like I have a rubber arm after that ride. Gotta work on the 'ol muscles for that one I guess.

image.jpeg

Then we wandered into One Man's Dream so that we could see Bell's dress that was on display from Beauty and The Beast. @chunkymonkey told me it was in display and I really wanted to see it, it's really beautiful! We just saw the movie today and I really liked it! Even the Hubs went and he said he enjoyed it as well!

image.jpeg

Then we had a lunch reservation at Sci Fi theater and got seated in the very front row of all the cars. We really liked this place, but it would have been nice to maybe be seated a little farther from the screen. Sorry I didn't take any food pics because it's quite dark in there. I've now been to both Sci Fi and 50's prime time cafe and for comparison I think for me the food wins at 50's but the setting and service won at Sci Fi. There was nothing wrong with the food at all at Sci Fi but I'm more of a comfort food gal and the pot roast at 50's was so good! I got the Ruben and i think Devin got a chicken sandwich and we were both stuffed, so we shared a hot fudge sundae ( since we were on the regular DP) and our server was so nice and brought us a bottle of water since we did only one dessert.

image.jpeg
After lunch Devin did single rider at RNR ( I'm still not brave enough for this one yet) and then we did ToT, which I'm usually way too chicken for but I rode and actually really liked it! Yea me.

We hung out at HS for a bit longer while Devin did Star Tours and I watched a couple rounds of Jedi Training and then we hopped on the boat again to go back to the BC for some more pool time and a nap.

After nap time we walked over to Epcot ( love the short walk from the BC) and spent the evening there, mostly in World Showcase, doing some shopping and our faves there like Soarin' and Test Track

image.jpeg
We were trying to fight with mini swords in this photo but they didn't show up very well at all. #funnypicturefail

We ended up grabbing a quick service dinner at Sunshine Seasons and digested on a private boat on LwTL. This was our last day visiting Epcot and do you think I got my Avacado Margarita or Cronut that I've beven wanting for like ever??? Nope. :rolleyes1 But we did get my beloved strawberry oolong tea slush, so I guess that's something.:sad2:

I like the changes to the DP where you don't get a dessert with your QS meals, but you get 2 snack credits instead. A lot of times the desserts at the QS just get tossed and I feel so bad. I know there are folks that aren't fans of the dining plan, and I do agree that it has some drawbacks if you aren't big food people, but I love the ease of it and having all your food already paid for. Sorry for the DP sidebar....

We somehow managed to miss illuminations also, I think we were in the Land pavilion while it was going on, so I still haven't seen that either! We made the short walk back to BC and the long walk to our room and collapsed listening to our favorite channel once again. The next day was our last day of the trip :sad1: so we needed to rest up for a full day at MK. Do you guys have a favorite order you like to tour on your trips? We usually always go to MK first and last, and for some reason 7DMT ends up being our first ride of the trip.

Coming up next, our last day of the trip. Tea at the GF and crying in our mac N cheese.

:tinker:

It was so cool to see the Belle dress that Emma Watson wore in person! I wonder how long it will be there. I don't know what they will replace the preview with next now that Beauty and the Beast is out.

I agree with you on the Sci Fi! I love love the ambiance but the food comes second. We're eating there in May though because I just miss eating in cars. :)

That picture on TT is so cute! I love it! Have to try more interesting pictures on TT next time.

thanks for the info on the DP! I like how you can get snack credits as I was on dessert overload when we did the DP a few years ago.

I also didn't get an avocado margarita! Just too busy doing other stuff! Next time, for sure. Maybe for cinco de Mayo!

I think for our last few trips we've definitely done MK first and 7DMT is always on the first day! (Maybe not the first ride if we're not there for rope drop) :)

We woke up to a lot of fog this morning, which made the Beach Club feel very New Englandy! I love me a foggy day, it's just cozy.
Really? You like the fog? Come to the east coast of Canada in June, when the icebergs come down. It's foggy for weeks...:sad2:

We just saw the movie today and I really liked it! Even the Hubs went and he said he enjoyed it as well!
I was very nervous going into it, but I was impressed. I thought they did a good job and I enjoyed it. I've seen reviews where people say it was just a shot by shot retelling of the animated film, but let's face it, they really couldn't change much, it's too iconic. I thought they added enough extra story to make it interesting. They couldn't get away with completely changing it up like they did with Maleficent and Pete's Dragon.

I've now been to both Sci Fi and 50's prime time cafe and for comparison I think for me the food wins at 50's but the setting and service won at Sci Fi.
That's pretty much how I felt about both of them. Although I don't think I'll go back to either one. I went to Mama Melrose last trip and actually enjoyed that more than I expected, so I think that will be my go to place in DHS now.

This was our last day visiting Epcot and do you think I got my Avacado Margarita or Cronut that I've beven wanting for like ever??? Nope. :rolleyes1 But we did get my beloved strawberry oolong tea slush, so I guess that's something.:sad2:
I still haven't had a cronut, anywhere. It was on my list last trip but of course I never got around to it. I literally had a written list of about ten things to try. I think I crossed off two. Isn't it funny how that happens. That strawberry oolong tea slush sounds good though. Is that in the China pavilion?

We somehow managed to miss illuminations also, I think we were in the Land pavilion while it was going on, so I still haven't seen that either!
Wait, you mean you haven't seen it ever, at all, like not once, never ever, to infinity and beyond? OK, I just need a moment.

tigger sad.gif

I'm totally with you on SciFi. Love the ambiance, but much prefer the food at 50's. Unfortunately that guy I travel with all the time feels the opposite so we end up at SciFi way more.

Love your test track photo. Even though you can't see the swords its totally cute.

Can't believe you didn't get the cronut or margarita though. Oh well, guess the means you just need another trip

It was so cool to see the Belle dress that Emma Watson wore in person!

It was! I loved it!

That picture on TT is so cute! I love it! Have to try more interesting pictures on TT next time.

:laughing: Thanks

I like how you can get snack credits as I was on dessert overload when we did the DP a few years ago

I like that change so much, I agree with you about dessert overload, and honestly most of the QS desserts suck in my opinion. :laughing:

I also didn't get an avocado margarita! Just too busy doing other stuff! Next time, for sure. Maybe for cinco de Mayo!

Oh no! I don't know what my problem is at Epcot, it's like I'm never hungry there or it's too hot for me to drink grown up drinks because I don't want to get a headache.

Really? You like the fog? Come to the east coast of Canada in June, when the icebergs come down. It's foggy for weeks...

I love the fog! But in Colorado we have about 300 days of sun, so fog is a novelty. I'm sure if I lived with it for 3 weeks straight I'd feel differently

I thought they added enough extra story to make it interesting. They couldn't get away with completely changing it up like they did with Maleficent and Pete's Dragon.

I completely agree!

I went to Mama Melrose last trip and actually enjoyed that more than I expected, so I think that will be my go to place in DHS now.

That's one I haven't tried yet, I may have to put it on my list. You don't hear too much chatter about it here.

I literally had a written list of about ten things to try. I think I crossed off two. Isn't it funny how that happens. That strawberry oolong tea slush sounds good though. Is that in the China pavilion?

Me too, so many things on the list, and after 4 trips now I'm not making very good progress. Yes, oolong tea slush is at the China pavilion

Wait, you mean you haven't seen it ever, at all, like not once, never ever, to infinity and beyond? OK, I just need a moment.

Nope, like never ever. :confused3 I know, I'm a horrible Disney nerd

Unfortunately that guy I travel with all the time feels the opposite so we end up at SciFi way more.

:laughing: Honestly I'd go back to both, I just prefer Sci Fi atmosphere better

Love your test track photo. Even though you can't see the swords its totally cute.

:smooth: Thanks. I just got tired of the same gober look on my face all the time so I needed to start making things interesting

Can't believe you didn't get the cronut or margarita though. Oh well, guess the means you just need another trip

I know it, food and drink fail. I still haven't had a grey goose slush either. There is something completely wrong with me. I'm working on the need another trip thing :thumbsup2

I love the boat rides to the parks, such a relaxing way to get there as opposed to being crammed in a bus.
I'm with you on this one and DH even more so. Just returned from WL. We spent way more time at the MK this trip than I'd planned, and I believe the reason why is b/c DH just wanted to keep taking the boat and not a bus :rotfl2: They really are relaxing though and the scenery can be pretty.

We just saw the movie today and I really liked it! Even the Hubs went and he said he enjoyed it as well!
I loved it! Neither of the boys would go so I took DH too

we did ToT, which I'm usually way too chicken for but I rode and actually really liked it! Yea me.
Good for you! TOT is my favorite :goodvibes

This was our last day visiting Epcot and do you think I got my Avacado Margarita or Cronut that I've beven wanting for like ever??? Nope
:(

We somehow managed to miss illuminations also, I think we were in the Land pavilion while it was going on, so I still haven't seen that either!
WHAT?? With all your trips you've never seen Illuminations?? I'm shocked! Seriously.

I still haven't had a grey goose slush either
:faint:
You need to get on back there.

but I'll be happy to be eating anywhere at DW

Love that statement! I'm right there with ya

But shingle payments and car payments continue, it will be so good to have those done with.

Boo for real life adulting! But yes, always a relief to have them finished

Just returned from WL

Hope you had a wonderful trip! How was it with Roaring Fork closed for refurb? Did you spend any time at the new QS/bar place whose name escapes me right now? I'm curious if you're doing the DP, where do you get your refillable mugs and where do you fill them?

WHAT?? With all your trips you've never seen Illuminations?? I'm shocked! Serio

I know, really strange, right? Illuminations was never a top priority for me over rides, but now that I have a few trips under my belt I'm starting to calm down and see more shows :laughing:

You need to get on back there.

Working on it! But I'm afraid My food and drinking at Epcot will have to wait until November. We just booked a very, very short trip the first of July and are only doing MK and AK, excited to see Pandora though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter