The Wonder will NOT have the same upgrades as The Magic.

hygienist999

DIS Veteran
My DH and I were on the Wonder for the first Alaskan Cruise this year, May 24-June 2. During the Castaway Club meet and greet with the Captain and his staff I asked one of the staff members when the Wonder would have the Big Upgrade. She said the Wonder would not have the same upgrades as the Magic because the Wonder was now the only ship that could fit through the Panama Canal.

When the Magic was upgraded they had to widen the keel to support the extra weight added to the ship. So the Magic can no longer fit through the Canal opening. She did not say the Wonder would not have upgrades, but she didn't confirm it would have upgrades anytime soon.

My DH and I were on the Wonder for the first Alaskan Cruise this year, May 24-June 2. During the Castaway Club meet and greet with the Captain and his staff I asked one of the staff members when the Wonder would have the Big Upgrade. She said the Wonder would not have the same upgrades as the Magic because the Wonder was now the only ship that could fit through the Panama Canal.

When the Magic was upgraded they had to widen the keel to support the extra weight added to the ship. So the Magic can no longer fit through the Canal opening. She did not say the Wonder would not have upgrades, but she didn't confirm it would have upgrades anytime soon.
Right, but they are in the process of widening the Panama Canal... The Wonder can't get all the big changes during her next dry dock, but maybe the one after that.

Personally I hope if they someday upgrade the Wonder they do not include the AquaDunk. I think the AquaDunk is an eyesore and takes away from the beautiful "classic" look which the Magic had prior to the "upgrade".

Oh she will eventually. Might vary some and not be exactly the same mirror image, but she will get overhauled. Most of the ships built around the same time on various cruise lines are getting the ducktail. She will certainly get updated. She's scheduled for fall 2016.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Personally I hope if they someday upgrade the Wonder they do not include the AquaDunk. I think the AquaDunk is an eyesore and takes away from the beautiful "classic" look which the Magic had prior to the "upgrade".

Agreed! I hate the AquaDunk. It's not really a ride for everyone either. I prefer the AquaDuck which I could at least take DD on. They did a nice job with twist and Spout for the kids. Hopefully they include that.

I didn't know they were widening the Canal. That's great, then hopefully all of the ships will be able to do it at some time.

The staff person only said it would not get the overhaul that The Magic had. So, I guess they will re-do the ship without having to widen the keel. I believe she said the Magic's keel was widen over 2 feet, I can't remember if it was a total of 2 feet or 2 feet on each side. But she was clear on the fact it would not mirror The Magic. Now, that could change, or has changed and she didn't have updated information.

I agree about the aqua-duck. I like the classic look.

So, I guess they will re-do the ship without having to widen the keel.
they did not WIDEN the ship - they LENGTHENED it - by adding the "duck tail" so the Magic (and Dream/Fantasy) are longer than 965 feet

I didn't know they were widening the Canal. That's great, then hopefully all of the ships will be able to do it at some time.
Here are the New Pacific side locks from 15 months ago (May 2013). They have made a LOT of progress since then.

P1010161.JPG

they did not WIDEN the ship - they LENGTHENED it - by adding the "duck tail" so the Magic (and Dream/Fantasy) are longer than 965 feet

Here are the New Pacific side locks from 15 months ago (May 2013). They have made a LOT of progress since then.

P1010161.JPG

And here's a few shots from Oct 2013:

4kb5mg.jpg

162yw1.jpg

v8iz9x.jpg

Wow, thanks for the info and the photo's. I will have to educate myself more with what they are doing with the Canal. I hope to one day cruise the Canal on one of Disney's ships.

The Canal is fascinating.

For what it's worth, Panama isn't just widening the canal; they're building a whole larger set of locks, called Panamax. Does anyone know for sure if both sets of locks will be used after the new ones are operable? Since the Canal is so busy, I would assume they'll keep using the old ones as well.

The Canal is fascinating.

For what it's worth, Panama isn't just widening the canal; they're building a whole larger set of locks, called Panamax. Does anyone know for sure if both sets of locks will be used after the new ones are operable? Since the Canal is so busy, I would assume they'll keep using the old ones as well.

Pretty sure they'll continue to use the "old" locks. The charges will most likely be different for the ships, depending on which locks they use. The traffic is pretty busy there, it should be able to keep busy. Plus it gives them the opportunity to be able to shut down the old locks for any repairs/upkeep that needed without massively affecting the ships going through.

Its running at least two years behind. Work is being done by French and Itilian ***. They just when though long strike by workers. There is also a problem now with ship sizes, wind, pilots, and tug boats. Making it simple. they miss caluclated.

The Magic had 40 ft or so added to length. The addition is called duck tail and is for stablization of ship, better ride for you.
Disney will be forced to remodel Wonder. They will fall to far behind the game that is being played with all the new ships. Other that those high demand periods there is space avaiable.

We parked next to the new NCL Getaway in St M and St T talked some passenger form the Getaway, cost for Bal statroom was 1/2 what DCL was. Two new 6000 pass ship coming to RCL. Long list new cruise ships. New cruise terminal going up at PC bet one of the RCL ships shows up there in winter months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter