The Wilson's March Break Adventure, part 1 Away we go!!!

abbyndrewmom

Mouseketeer
WDW here we come, we are driving from Fergus, Ontario in our 2001 Surburban. We are going to Tallahasse first to visit Dh's Step sister then on to WDW.

The Cast:

DH 33 professional Chef and main driver
Me 30 Mom, tour consultant and planner
DD 6 Disney loving princess
DS4 Stitch loving disney boy

March 11
The plan is for me to have the truck packed and ready to go pick DD up from school at 3:30 pm and be ready to go when Dh gets home at 4:00 pm. Unfortunately we hadn't forseen me getting sick. I started the day in the doctors office luckily it was just a nasty virus and not strep throat as I feared. So I waited for Dh to get home to help me get all the suitcases in the car and we were on the road by 5:15 pm. After picking up our USD in Guelph we were finally on the 401 headed toward London. We stopped off in London for gas and Timmy's then proceded to Windsor. We arrived at the Windsor border crossing around 9:00 pm sailed through with no problems. We used our birth certificates and drivers licsences. We had a little problem getting onto I-75. I made the mistake of letting DH bring the I-75 book to work to show someone else. He left it sitting on his desk :rolleyes: . I was not impressed and even tried to find another copy once in the US but couldn't. Anyway once we got on I-75 we had a pretty smooth drive. There was a little snow and very strong winds. We stopped around 12:00 am in Wapakoneta, OH (exit 111). We stayed at the Best Western for $54.00 usd. It was a nice clean hotel with a great continental breakfast.

Total Gas $70.00 cdn
Accommodations $54.00 usd
Food $5.00 cdn

March 12

We got up had breakfast (waffles, bagels, ceral, microwave sausage, and donuts) and left the hotel around 8:30 am. There was a bit of construction in Dayton, OH but it didn't slow us down much. We stopped for lunch in Lexington, KY at a McDonalds. We drove through the Mountains and stopped again in Tenesse at a McDonalds with a play place for ice cream around 3:30 pm. WE hit traffic in Knoxville just after 4:00 pm. we were delayed for about half an hour there was some construction. We continued to Chatanooga where we ran into major traffic jam. There were two multi car accidents in a row so we lost about an 1hr here. WE finally made it to Dalton, Ga where we stopped for dinner at Fudruckers. We all had a good meal and I highly recommend this restaurant. It cost just a little more then McD and was so worth it. We were aiming for Tifton GA so we still had a long drive. We sailed through Atlanta at 9:00 pm and finally made it to Tifton aroun 12:00 am. We stayed at the Super 8 at exit 63B. I wouldn't recommend staying there, it was very basic. The price was right at $44.00.

GAS $76.00 usd
Food: $38.50 usd
Accommodations: $44.00

March 13

We were up and out again by 8:30 am Dh was thrilled to find a Starbuck at exit 62 in Georgia. We just had a 1.5 hour drive to Tallahasse this morning. it was a beautiful drive through rural Southern Georgia. Dh and I really love the southeast and enjoyed getting off the interstate and seeing some of the local countryside. It was a beautiful drive and we soon arrived in Tallahasse.

Tallahasse is a beautiful old Southern City. It reminded me of the cities in the Carolina's not at all the typical track home Floridia. We really enjoyed our time here with dh's step sister. We will be back next year.

Gas $23.00
food: $9.75

Be on the look out for: Part 2 on to WDW

Good start to your reports abbyndrewmom...does Knoxville ever NOT have construction?...looking forward to part 2

Welcome back, abbyndrewmom! We got held up at the Detroit border, Dayton and construction in Tennessee too. I like the way you put your costs, at the end of each day.

You were only missing one thing from your stop in London ... ME :teeth: I was pretty sure that I had suggested you get gas at the Loblaws beside Krispy Kreme, and I was going to buy the donuts and tag along. Imagine my surprise as I waited at KK with my suitcases all packed and you didn't show up. There was one family that pulled in but when I tried to load my gear into their car, they locked the doors :rolleyes:

As much as Georgia is such a loooonnngg state, I do love the drive south of Macon. It just seems so peaceful and relaxing ... until I realize how close we're getting to WDW and then my excitement takes over.

Glad to hear your drive down was good. Coming home last August, we waited in stopped traffic in Detroit for 3 hours. I have never experienced anything like it.

Mary Liz

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter