The Wheels Finally Come Off! Trip 3 in JUNE 2014!

We'll be getting there Friday afternoon, the 12th. We bought annual passes, so we can't go into the park on Saturday. Our first real day in will be Sunday the 14th. Friday night we are planning on going into Mad T Party. The kids will have their Glow With the Show hats and are looking forward to it. :)
Any chance you'll be there so we can say a quick hello?

We'll be getting there Friday afternoon, the 12th. We bought annual passes, so we can't go into the park on Saturday. Our first real day in will be Sunday the 14th. Friday night we are planning on going into Mad T Party. The kids will have their Glow With the Show hats and are looking forward to it. :)
Any chance you'll be there so we can say a quick hello?

Aww, I think we will miss you entirely! We aren't planning to go in on Sunday, as we leave that morning after breakfast at Goofy's. Friday night will probably be an early night since my girls are 3 and 6. Have a GREAT time, Riasha!

Aww, I think we will miss you entirely! We aren't planning to go in on Sunday, as we leave that morning after breakfast at Goofy's. Friday night will probably be an early night since my girls are 3 and 6. Have a GREAT time, Riasha!

Thank you and you have a great time too!!! It's coming soon! :)

Only 2 more days!!! Plus, I just learned from perlster that Warrior MULAN (not the princess one) and MUSHU are at the Long Lost Friends meet & Greet! I'm SO EXCITED for this.

This is perlster's photo:

8632469545_1e367d037c_c.jpg

We are driving down the 5 freeway and are about 4 hours away now. The girls watched Cars to get ready for Carsland!

April 2013 Trip Report starts NOW.....

We just got home earlier tonight, and I've spent the past 3 hours unpacking, cleaning, and sorting. But I just have to start on my TR or I know I'll forget details.

Table of Contents:

Day 1: Thursday, April 11, 2013 - arrived a little before 4 pm
* Picked up 2 Soarin' FP (DD3 is too short so I thought I'd save 2 tickets to grab other rides' FP) with 5:10-6:10 pm return and Photopass + pick-up
* Princess Fantasy Faire (Aurora, Ariel & Cinderella)
* Beauty & the Beast show at Royal Hall (with churros I picked up from the Tomorrowland cart on my way to get Star Tours FP since the carts by Fantasyland were all closed!)
* Meet & Greet with Goofy in front of DL Mickey Mouse floral
* Pixar Play Parade with cotton candy and popcorn snacks (so we missed our chance to use Star Tours FP!)
* DH rode Soarin' with DD6 but got a child swap pass so I could each ride later with DD6, too)
* Little Mermaid
* Dinner at Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen (lackluster meal, weak cocktails and the biggest insult: their beignets were terrible, like a chewy dense cake!)
* Soarin' using the child swap pass with DD6 while DH took DD3 back to HoJo
* Walk-through Carsland before taking DD6 back around 9:45 pm

Day 2: Friday, April 12, 2013 - arrived at Esplanade at 8:15 am for 9 am opening (light snacks before our 10 am breakfast)
* Toy Story Midway Mania (while DH grabbed RSR FP)
* Tried to ride Screamin' but DD6 too short
* Donald Duck Meet & Greet at Paradise Pier
* Breakfast at Plaza Inn with Minnie and Friends at 10 am
* Picked up 4 Star Tours FP (and then kicked myself, realizing I should have just got 2 so I could get 2 Space Mountain FP!)
* RSR via fast pass and got a child swap
* Went back to DL for Pixie Hollow
* Picked up Space Mountain FP while DH was at Pixie Hollow with the 2 girls
* Went to meet Long Lost Friends at Thunder Ranch Jamboree and DH got us frozen strawberry lemonade drinks
* Picked up Splash Mountain FP while they were at Long Lost Friends M&G
* DH took DD3 back for a nap and DD6 and I met Woody (right outside BTMRR)
* Rode Star Tours with DD6
* Space Mountain with FP (DD6 LOVED it) and got child swap
* Rode Space Mountain a second time and it broke down on us with us just 20 feet from the end (waiting about 15-2 minutes) so they gave us a "front-of-the-line" pass
* Picked up Splash Mountain FP
* Dole Whip Float break
* Rode Winnie the Pooh to burn 10 minutes
* Used our Splash Mountain FP and requested child swap
* DH and DD3 came back and rode Dumbo while they waited for us
* Watched Soundsational Parade and enjoyed corn dogs from the Little Red Corn Dog Cart
* Rode Autotopia with them
* Picked up a turkey leg for DH to save for breakfast and then he and DD3 went back to the hotel
* DD6 and I used the front-of-the-pass line on Space Mountain and brought a family of 3 with us (since it was good for up to 6 guests)
* Rode RSR two consecutive times at night using child swap pass
* Took DD6 to Mad T party as she really wanted the glow-in-the-dark ice cube drink but the drink bar was closed! Luckily, a CM cleaning up took pity on us and pulled an "ice cube" out and just gave it to us!
* Left at 9:50 pm or so (DD6 and I couldn't make it to 11 pm closure!)

Day 3: Saturday, April 13, 2013 - Magic Morning day! At DL gates at 7:20 am for 8 am open
* DD3 slept in so DH stayed with her
* DD6 and I made it to the front of rope drop, right side so we could go to Space Mountain, only to find out from a CM in front of Astro Orbiters that Space was closed; then we rushed to Matterhorn, only to learn it, too, was closed.
* At this point, I was flustered and just rushed to Peter Pan, which already had a 15 minute wait. Argh! Magic Morning was practically wasted. Once we got off Peter Pan, we went on teacups as DD6 doesn't care for dark rides and we already rode Dumbo. Then as we walked out to head toward DCA to stand in line for RSR FP, I noticed people at Pixie Hollow. There wasn't a Photopass photographer, but we got Fawn's autograph and took another photo with Tink.
* Grabbed RSR FP with a return of 12 noon (but only 2 FP, since DH was with DD3 at HoJo)
* Walked on to Goofy's Sky School
* Tried to walk on to Screamin' but it broke down, too!
* Went on Toy Story for the 2nd time (had a 20 minute wait or so by 9:20 am)
* Headed back toward DL when DH texted at 10:15 am to say he and DD3 were on the way so we waited at the RSR FP machines and we got a 7:25 pm return time
* Headed to DL for Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique makeovers for both girls at 11:10 am
* Got there early so we rode Dumbo
* While DH watched them at BBB and Photopass photographer took photos, I ran to get Bengal BBQ skewers (Banyan beef and Bacon-wrapped asparagus) and Mickey Beignets from Mint Julep Bar as a snack before our 1:20 pm lunch reservation
* Picked up 2 Splash Mountain FP
* After BBB, took some Photopass photos in front of the castle and then rushed back to RSR for our FP only to learn it was closed, too!
* Wasted about an hour in Bugsland (Heimlich's Chew Chew Train, Flik's Flyers, M&G with Flik) before going to Ariel's Grotto for 1:20 pm lunch
* Back to RSR where they luckily honored our FP and got another child swap before DH brought DD3 back for a nap
* Grabbed Screamin' FP and headed to Disney Junior show at 3:15 pm
* Headed back to Screamin' at 4:55 but they denied DD6 again (even wearing her thick soled Keen sandals!)
* Got her another churro as a consolation prize
* Headed to Splash Mountain for FP and tried to head back to Long Lost Friends to see the friends we missed the first time but they closed at 5
* DD6 fell asleep for a brief nap while I sat on a bench outside BTMRR construction site while we waited 40 minutes for our FP return window
* Rode Splash
* Went back to DCA for RSR at 7:25 pm to use FP
* Rode RSR again to use Child Swap pass from earlier
* Sadly left the park at 9 pm

Day 4: Sunday, April 14 - not a park day
* Ended the trip with breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen at DL Hotel

Here are some ride photos thanks to our awesome Photopass+ package! I'm so grateful DISBoarders recommended buying this in advance. It's totally worth the $69, even for a short 2.5 day trip.

DD's first and only time on RSR with DH:
8650273389_abddbb1648.jpg

Subsequent rides were all with me. WOO HOO! We tried to focus on getting a clear shot of her face but folks kept throwing their hands in her face!

8651371438_613656bbb6.jpg

8650273583_ece6934181.jpg

8650273661_a3ec3054ac.jpg

8650273749_5d832bf700.jpg

SUCCESS AT LAST:
8651371616_e6dd2e3c4f.jpg

Maybe we should have stopped then, as the very last ride was Saturday night and it was SO WINDY my hair flew into my face!
8651370974_4cde013ae5.jpg

Here are our other ride photos!

We made it onto Space 3 times on Friday. It broke down on us during our second ride when we were just around the corner from the exit. Since we were stuck for 20 minutes or so, so we got a "front-of-the-line" pass for anything in DL except Matterhorn. I actually posted a thread here asking for advice but ultimately decided to just use it on Space again since DD6 didn't care for dark rides and we already rode Dumbo. Since the pass was good for 6 people, I offered to take a family of 3 who were just turned away from the FP return line in with us. The wife was really skeptical but I explained how we got the pass, the CM confirmed she could come with us and just use their FP later, and so they followed us on. I think it was their first time riding it and they look like they enjoyed it based on this photo! It was fun to spread some Disney magic and get them on earlier than they otherwise would have based on their FP return time.

8651371350_17c7cc67b6.jpg

8651371336_4d22a81a99.jpg

8651371306_edb5848fdd.jpg

We also did Splash Mountain and DD6 preferred sitting in the back position side-by-side with me.

8651371078_2764f5a280.jpg

8650273129_2904e728d4.jpg

8650273045_0a55ed7266.jpg

Character meal reviews are next. We did breakfast with Minnie and Friends at Plaza Inn, lunch with the princesses at Ariel's Grotto, and breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen. That's a lot to take in 2.5 days!

We did lunch at Ariel's Grotto on our first family trip in 2011, but since the girls were dressed up after BBB and my FIL called to let us know he'd like to treat us to a special treat, we decided to do it again.

Of the 3, DH and I both agreed that Goofy's breakfast was the best food and had probably the best value given the qualify of the food, price, and character interaction.

Minnie's food was worse than cafeteria food, IMHO, though character interaction was good. Ariel's food was average (better than we remembered) but way overpriced for what you get and the limited number of characters (4 princesses plus Ariel by the staircase when you first enter).

We met Chip, Dale, Minnie, Tigger, Winnie the Pooh, Eeyore, Fairy Godmother, and Captain Hook.

At Ariel's, we met Ariel, Belle, Aurora, Jasmine (hooray!), and Snow White.

At Goofy's, we met Aurora, Chip, Dale, Baloo, Pluto, Princess Mulan, and Rafiki.

Here are some photos:

8656237403_bea854bf20.jpg

8657347280_de70302c45.jpg

8656244351_489cc67b7a.jpg

Glad to hear your reviews of the character breakfasts. We are definitely hitting Ariel's for DD and I was deciding between Goofy's and Minnie's but DS's desire to see Captain Hook might tip the scales despite the mediocre at best food. ::: sigh :::

Hi Pesky! Thanks for visiting. Yeah, I would not do Minnie's again because the food was terrible. But it may be the only place to see Captain Hook (unless he comes out during Halloweentime as part of the Villains M&G?). Have a great trip!!!! I miss DLR already.

I have to say, I'm SO GLAD we lucked out and were at DLR the week of the Long Lost Friends promotion, where they had groups of characters in the area behind the Big Thunder Ranch BBQ.

I absolutely LOVE Mulan and was thrilled to meet her as "Ping" (aka Warrior Mulan). We also had some funny photos with Lilo & Stitch, the 3 Little Pigs and Big Bad Wolf, Scrooge and Ludwig, and Fauna, Merryweather & the third fairy from Sleeping Beauty (sorry, can't remember her name). Lines were super long for Jane from Tarzan and Peter Pan, and we missed Esmeralda from Hunchback and the characters from Robin Hood.

8660062976_c1fd832240.jpg

8660062566_67789ec1e1.jpg

8658960063_d33cec5604.jpg

8660062378_370a7c244c.jpg

8660062248_ee718302d7.jpg

Hi Pesky! Thanks for visiting. Yeah, I would not do Minnie's again because the food was terrible. But it may be the only place to see Captain Hook (unless he comes out during Halloweentime as part of the Villains M&G?). Have a great trip!!!! I miss DLR already.

I just wanted to pop in and say hello when I saw your post in the Character Meals thread!:wave::wave: I've seen your TR around the TR section for a long time and the title never ceases to make me smile! For some reason, something about "Wide Load Ahead" makes me giggle every time I see it. I love it!:rotfl: I've been meaning to stop in and get subscribed for what seems like a year or two but haven't had a chance!

I'm so glad that Goofy's was a hit for you. I think I was telling fellow DIS'er lsulindy this in her TR - whenever I read really over-the-top negative reviews of Goofy's Kitchen I feel like I'm not even reading about the same place that I have been eating at for so many years. Then I start to think that I must either have really horrible taste in character meals, or that the restaurant has really 'off' days when other people are there. I've been there on some not-as-great days over the years, of course, but over all, for the general variety of food and characters, I think Goofy's is a great place to go! If I didn't have mostly good experiences at Goofy's, there's no way I would continue to go back there on almost every trip. It's too expensive to return to if it is not a worthwhile restaurant. I would spend the money elsewhere. But...it works for me, and my friends seem to like it, so we go back!

I have heard the same comments that you mentioned about the food at Minnie & Friends in the past, so it always surprises me when someone comes forth and says that they thought the M&F food was great! I have heard "inedible," "cold," etc. I've also heard that it can get kind of chaotic and frenzied at M&F because a lot of folks supposedly won't wait for the characters to get to the table and they start running around the restaurant to meet them!

Captain Hook does occasionally appear at Goofy's - maybe even more than occasionally but we just don't hear about it. The last time I saw him there was in December 2011, but I'm sure he has been at Goofy's again since that time. I've also heard of Hook sightings at dinner time too.

I guess the real problem is that we never know which characters are going to be at which restaurants on which days or at which times. It's a gamble. I wish there were some way to get a kind of schedule of who is expected to arrive - that would help a lot - but I think that many times certain characters just unexpectedly wander in and the restaurants don't know that they're coming!

I've also seen Captain Hook walking around in Disneyland in December (it looked like he was coming from Fantasyland and heading towards Main Street, probably to a photo spot or something). I'm sure he will be part of that Villains thing that is happening on September 13th (part of the Limited Time Magic).

ETA: I love the pictures with the Long Lost Friends! So cute - and the photos are so clear and colorful!
:cool1::cool1::cool1:

Hi SherryE! Thanks for visiting. I bought the PhotoPass+ and it was such a FANTASTIC deal. Thanks to the pass and the good fortune to be there during Long Lost Friends Week, we got our money's worth!

We definitely hope to go back to Goofy's next visit! It was the best meal.

ah, so jealous of you getting to see Ping! I love Mulan -- one of my favorite princesses so kind of hoping to sneak in Goofy's as a dinner kick-off to our visit to DLR in hopes she shows. But not as Ping, which is ubercool.

ah, so jealous of you getting to see Ping! I love Mulan -- one of my favorite princesses so kind of hoping to sneak in Goofy's as a dinner kick-off to our visit to DLR in hopes she shows. But not as Ping, which is ubercool.

We saw Mulan at Goofy's, too! I was thrilled, especially since Ping was really friendly and nice to my DD6, too. I much prefer Ping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter