The We Moved To Orlando Trip Report Update 4/12 Trevon's Birthday & East

Do you ever have problems with your neighbors when they come?

Thanks!

I know! It's unreal!

Me too, just talked with some people on the Orlando forums and pool care and elec. would cost hundreds a month.

I love the idea. We have a community pool where we live now, that is open for the summer. The pool at the resort we like is 82 degrees all year round :):):)

Me too, but everyone is different and we're kinda different from others in that having an empty house next to us or new neighbors sounds perfect for us!

I don't have that need for community. I guess I've gotten my fill here where I live the last 4 years :laughing:

Thanks! The resort does look awesome, I may just put the deposit down without seeing it in person. The real estate agent I'm working with is going over there on Mon. to check it out for me!

ooooohhhh, something as important as this should be SEEN in person. I would want to see the exact unit, maybe even talk to "residents" while you're there. otherwise, that deposit is long gone if you don't like the place once you're there and don't want to stay. It's not like it's going anywhere in the meantime!

Yay :cool1: Welcome to the party :laughing:

Tell me about the move you want to do!

Love this thread!

We've lived in Boca Raton/South Florida for about 14 years and before that we lived in Tampa for about 8 years. When we were in Tampa it was darn close to WDW but not quite close enough! I've been talking about moving to Orlando since we were in Tampa. Both Tampa and now Boca Raton moves were because of dh's job. Dh is 63 and I am 52 so I've talked him into moving to Orlando when he hopefully retires in a couple of years.

Dh has a good friend from childhood who lives in I believe the Doctor Phillips area - very close to WDW. The friends have been in the home for about 30 years before the area built up and say if they were buying now there is no way they could afford to buy a house there. Neither can we! We visited their home a couple of times and it is beautiful. It is a ranch type home, with horse stables and it is on a lake - they can see the MK fireworks from their dock!! Joey Fatone is their neighbor! WOW!

Well, the title says it all...do we get a pool?!?

What do you guys think? I think if we're living in Florida we need to live in Florida and have a pool in our backyard!

But...how much extra does the electric run with the pool and hot tub? How much is pool care if it's not included?

Anyone with a pool and/or living in Fl. that can help on the electric bill question, that would be great :thumbsup2

Anyone else ~ what do you think? Pool or no?

It's only about $200.00 extra a month for a pool home, but that doesn't include the electric. Lots of home incl. pool care, which is nice...

It would be so fun for the kids to have a pool ~ I don't want to get a house without one and regret it, and vice versa...

What would you guys do?

:)

As I mentioned, we have been in Florida for 22 years and had pools in both homes. I didn't want one when we bought this house but we wound up with one anyway. We don't even use the pool. I say it is like a hole in the backyard that you keep throwing money into with all the upkeep, chemicals, pump parts, etc. No way would I get a home with a pool ever again.

I think your idea of living in a resort community is awesome! I'm not big on the whole "but we want the same neighbors". You'll be able to meet more people this way anyways ;) People from all over the country, even the world! I would love to live there. Maybe i'll look into it :)

Congrats, we did the move about 4 years ago from Baltimore, MD. It was quite an experience since we had never moved before that unless you count when we got married and moved out of our parents houses to a townhome 5 minutes away. You are going to love it here, I just love the hot weather, I never want to go back up north to the cold. I live about 2 hours NW of WDW in Gilchrist Cnty. It's just west of Gainesville, GO Gators. I love living this close to disney but still live in a very rural part of FL. Our county only has 1 traffic light. Congrats once again on becoming a Floridian, have a safe move.

ps. as for the pool thing, I have a 25,000 gal pool and it really doesn't affect our electric to much, we do have a salt water system which is something you should look into, no chemicals, just salt. We only have to run the filter about 1 to 2 hours a day. I think a pool is a must have if you live in FL.

Hi Amy! I'm in for the ride... I'm glad you are posting this cuz I think I'll be right behind you!

I guess you can always find a "community" other than your neighborhood-through church, school, and other groups.
I lived in a new neighborhood a few years ago and we felt that we really only knew one other family. Everybody kept to themselves and were too busy working all the time.

That's how it is here where we are now ~ we don't know too many of our neighbors and basically keep to ourselves. Hopefully they will have a good homeschool community :)

I just found your thread and since you have asked for opnions I will chime in!!

One thing to consider living in a resort community someone has already mentioned and that is the party atmosphere and the people coming and going at all hours.
I guess if you were to rent a home and then decide you didn't like the neighborhood you could up and move. Definately consider renting and not buying unless you are sure since these places can be difficult to unload.

I see you are homeschooling so I won't bring up the schools in areas like these. (Since most of the residents in the area are not long term, the schools tend to suffer)

Davenport is close to the Animal Kingdom but not so close if you want to head over to the Magic Kingdom regularly.

Another thing to consider is the kids. Since the neighborhood is so transient, they most likely will just have each other as playmates.

I realize these are all points that have no doubt been mentioned, but really tghink it over before you decide to sign anything.
And last but not least, take a quick trip down here and check it out for yourself. DON'T RELY ON SOMEONE ELSE'S EYES, as they might think something is fine that would drive you insane.

Best of Luck to you on your upcoming move! :)

Hi and thanks for joining in! I really appreciate everyone's input!!!

I'm fine with the possible late night neighbors or noise, hopefully it won't be too bad. I think the benefits will make up for it. As for the kids , they play with each other and the kids I babysit for mostly anyway, so that works out fine.
I can't take a trip down first because I only have 4 weeks left here and I have an obligation to the parents I babysit for...I do trust my realtor though and he is visiting the townhome on Mon. and taking pics of the area for me and touring the house. He knows what I'm looking for. I'm sure it will be good, I have a positive feeling about it :goodvibes

Thanks so much for the luck and for your help :)

ooooohhhh, something as important as this should be SEEN in person. I would want to see the exact unit, maybe even talk to "residents" while you're there. otherwise, that deposit is long gone if you don't like the place once you're there and don't want to stay. It's not like it's going anywhere in the meantime!

I can't do that but the realtor is going on Mon. to check it out for me. He is so great! He knows what I want and I've told him what to check out for me. He is taking pics of the area around the resort and the home and I trust his judgement.
It would be nice to check it out first but oh well, this is a great place and I don't want it to get gone!
Thanks so much for your thoughts!!!!!

Love this thread!

We've lived in Boca Raton/South Florida for about 14 years and before that we lived in Tampa for about 8 years. When we were in Tampa it was darn close to WDW but not quite close enough! I've been talking about moving to Orlando since we were in Tampa. Both Tampa and now Boca Raton moves were because of dh's job. Dh is 63 and I am 52 so I've talked him into moving to Orlando when he hopefully retires in a couple of years.

Dh has a good friend from childhood who lives in I believe the Doctor Phillips area - very close to WDW. The friends have been in the home for about 30 years before the area built up and say if they were buying now there is no way they could afford to buy a house there. Neither can we! We visited their home a couple of times and it is beautiful. It is a ranch type home, with horse stables and it is on a lake - they can see the MK fireworks from their dock!! Joey Fatone is their neighbor! WOW!

As I mentioned, we have been in Florida for 22 years and had pools in both homes. I didn't want one when we bought this house but we wound up with one anyway. We don't even use the pool. I say it is like a hole in the backyard that you keep throwing money into with all the upkeep, chemicals, pump parts, etc. No way would I get a home with a pool ever again.

Oh I sure hope you can move in the next couple of years! You've been wanting to for so long!!!
I've decided not to get the pool, with the cost of upkeep and elec. it's just not worth it to us...
Your friend's house sounds AMAZING! I can't even imagine the cost of it :laughing: MK fireworks from his dock? Stabels? Sounds like heaven!!! Does he just love it there, has he thought about selling it ? He could make a fortune!

I think your idea of living in a resort community is awesome! I'm not big on the whole "but we want the same neighbors". You'll be able to meet more people this way anyways ;) People from all over the country, even the world! I would love to live there. Maybe i'll look into it :)

Hi:goodvibes and welcome! Thanks! I love it too! Since we're moving there for WDW and we love the resorts we thought it would be perfect for us. I think the idea of constantly changing neighbors and new people to meet is awesome and I'm very excited about it!
It will be like living on vacation since I work in my home and we have all our evenings and weekends off!!!

Congrats, we did the move about 4 years ago from Baltimore, MD. It was quite an experience since we had never moved before that unless you count when we got married and moved out of our parents houses to a townhome 5 minutes away. You are going to love it here, I just love the hot weather, I never want to go back up north to the cold. I live about 2 hours NW of WDW in Gilchrist Cnty. It's just west of Gainesville, GO Gators. I love living this close to disney but still live in a very rural part of FL. Our county only has 1 traffic light. Congrats once again on becoming a Floridian, have a safe move.

ps. as for the pool thing, I have a 25,000 gal pool and it really doesn't affect our electric to much, we do have a salt water system which is something you should look into, no chemicals, just salt. We only have to run the filter about 1 to 2 hours a day. I think a pool is a must have if you live in FL.

Hi and welcome :goodvibes If we had a pool it would have to be saltwater. I don't like the kids soaking in chlorine :scared:
I'm so glad to hear you like Florida living! I'm so excited!!!
I would love to hear more about your first move, this is ours too, besides moving around town. it will be such an adventure!
Thanks again for reading and all your help!

Hi Amy! I'm in for the ride... I'm glad you are posting this cuz I think I'll be right behind you!

Hi Kimmy!!! So good to see you and I'm glad you're here :goodvibes
Are you thinking about coming to Orlando for real? You love WDW so much you should ~ and think...you'd only be an hour away from the Magic and can cruise whenever you'd like :wizard:

:cool1: :banana: :love: :dance3: :woohoo: :yay: :wizard:

Can you tell I'm excited?!?

It's official ~ we've given our notices to the families we babysit for, we've put in our 30 day notice to the office...it's happening baby!

Our last day babysitting is Jan. 2nd and we will be leaving that Monday the 5th.

I have so many dr. appts to make and things to do it's crazy!

Anyway ~ just wanted to fill everyone in ~ that's it's official and we have 4 weeks left!

:yay: :wizard: :yay:

There are several reviews maybe on the Orlando offsite forums on this townhome community. All are posetive.
also INTERVAL has just picked it up as a new trader.
I got notice last week it was now an available trade for Interval.

:goodvibes Hi :goodvibes

We are making our DREAM come true and moving to WDW as the kids say :laughing: Yes, moving to Orlando!

I want to do this trip report for all the DISers out there that wish they could move closer to the mouse , for everyone out there who just wish they could move :rotfl: and just for the fun of it! I know that I would love to read a moving to Orlando TR!

Anyway ~ I hope to get lots of good info on Orlando and areas and also to help others with their plans and moves too...

So come along on the adventure with us ~ we haven't moved anywhere in 20 years so it's going to be exciting!!!

Links

1.Details, details, details :)
2.When Are We Moving???
3.Do We Get A Pool? Help!!! Need Your Input Please!!!
4.Kissimmee & Davenport
5.A Place We Like With Links and Pics :)
6.It's Official!!!! We're Moving In 4 Weeks!!!!!!!!!

So happy for you but I have a question.
What profession are you in????

Just a note regarding renting a house. Make sure that you get confirmation that your security deposit is in a bank account. I am renting an house that is going to be foreclosed upon. ( I have made arrangements to move) My landlord did not put the security away and I will most likely not get any money back.

Congrats on making it official! Woohoo! :)

Thanks! It's so exciting!!!
4 weeks instead of 9 months ~ Orlando here we come!!!

There are several reviews maybe on the Orlando offsite forums on this townhome community. All are posetive.
also INTERVAL has just picked it up as a new trader.
I got notice last week it was now an available trade for Interval.

Really? That's wonderful news :goodvibes I just have to keep my fingers crossed they accept pets, I have a little chihuahua and a couple of cats...

Do you know where you saw the reviews btw? I'd love to check it out! Thanks!

So happy for you but I have a question.
What profession are you in????

A profession that I can do in my home in any town ~ there is always a demand for it ;) Childcare :)

Just a note regarding renting a house. Make sure that you get confirmation that your security deposit is in a bank account. I am renting an house that is going to be foreclosed upon. ( I have made arrangements to move) My landlord did not put the security away and I will most likely not get any money back.

Thanks so much for that info! I didn't think about that and I really appreciate the tip! I will make sure now that I get the conformation!!!
Sorry to hear about your deposit ~ that's really awful:(
Good luck with your move!

Today is the last day we're going to relax and do nothing:laughing: Starting tomorrow it's non-stop packing and transferring to storage and organizing and sorting...

If anyone has any tips on things to do before moving please post them here!

Here is what I have to do in the next 3 weeks ~~

Get Roxy spayed
Get well checks for Nara and Zar
Me go to the Dr. and eye doctor
E go to the dr. and eye doctor
T go to the eye doctor
Get replacement SS cards for me and the kids (lost them!)
Re-paint two bedrooms and a bathroom (we painted them blue and purple)
patch the walls and repair some stuff
Get the carpets cleaned

All that on top of packing :scared1:

Did I miss anything? If we get a place before coming I can do an address change, if not I suppose I'm not sure what to do...

It looks as though we may skip the u-haul. We don't really own a lot of furniture, just a few dressers, recliners, table and chairs, bookshelves and lots of clothes and toys and misc.

I think we may leave the furniture in our storage trailer since the house will be furnished and just take clothes, games, dvds, some toys, computer, tv, pictures, and stuff like that. Mom and dad are going down with us because dad has a treatment in Jacksonville on the 9th and we're leaving on the 5th. They have volunteered to take all the seats out of their Sienna and let us fill it and put a soft carrier on top. We will stuff our Sienna too and put a carrier on top and a bike rack on back. I think we can get lots in the vans and anything we really want that doesn't fit they can bring down the next month when they come and visit.

I need to get a Fl. driver's license pretty quickly so I can buy AP's. I love the weather and lack of crowds in Jan. at WDW!

Well, I'm off for now, we're going to go to Greenville and play at the super cool park that we'll really miss and then check out the festival of lights:)

Your plan of no U-Haul reminds me of when my first husband and I moved from Maine to North Carolina. We had no jobs lined up (but an apartment reserved sight unseen) and we sold all of our furniture. We had a cargo van at the time (just two seats in the front - he was a drummer and needed the back to transport) and a geo metro. We loaded those two up and drove down and bought what we needed as time allowed (we slept on an air mattress the first few nights). Such an adventure. :rotfl:

If you don't have an address to forward your mail to, you could just fill out a "hold mail" card and then do a forward mail card once you get a place.

If I think of things to do before you move I'll let you know.

Your plan of no U-Haul reminds me of when my first husband and I moved from Maine to North Carolina. We had no jobs lined up (but an apartment reserved sight unseen) and we sold all of our furniture. We had a cargo van at the time (just two seats in the front - he was a drummer and needed the back to transport) and a geo metro. We loaded those two up and drove down and bought what we needed as time allowed (we slept on an air mattress the first few nights). Such an adventure. :rotfl:

If you don't have an address to forward your mail to, you could just fill out a "hold mail" card and then do a forward mail card once you get a place.

If I think of things to do before you move I'll let you know.

That does sound like an adventure!

I hate getting a big ole u-haul for just my stuff since we don't need out furniture you know? If we get an unfurnished place then of course we'll bring our stuff, and if we move next year and need it it will be here waiting for us. I have to keep paying for storage anyway for all my good keep stuff I can't bring now because there is no storage in the place we're looking at.

Thanks for the info on holding the mail, I did not think of that and that is a great idea :)

I just came across your thread and Im in!!! How exciting for you.. You are living my dream!

DH knows that I want to move to Florida.. right now is just not the time as I will not leave my parents right now and my dad is not in good health..

We were in Florida last week visiting DMIL as she lives about 1 1/2 hours from Orlando and everytime we past a for sale or for rent house, I told DH "look!" and pointed.. we had a good laugh..

What I wouldnt do to just pack up and go..

I think we stayed in a townhome at that resort through Interval. The pool area was nice.

Welcome to Orlando!

I've been lurking this thread so I thought I'd post something.

We are trying to move at the end of June 2009, but we are still deciding where to go. This thread is helping me think about all the things that need to happen before a move.

Good luck on your move!

I just came across your thread and Im in!!! How exciting for you.. You are living my dream!

DH knows that I want to move to Florida.. right now is just not the time as I will not leave my parents right now and my dad is not in good health..

We were in Florida last week visiting DMIL as she lives about 1 1/2 hours from Orlando and everytime we past a for sale or for rent house, I told DH "look!" and pointed.. we had a good laugh..

What I wouldnt do to just pack up and go..

Hi and Welcome:goodvibes Have fun reading along! Hopefully you can make your dream come true one day too :wizard:

Count me in ! How exciting!

Hi and welcome :) It is very exciting ~ I can't tell you how excited we all are, but you can imagine :laughing:

I think we stayed in a townhome at that resort through Interval. The pool area was nice.

Welcome to Orlando!

That's good to hear. I looked up the resort on tripadvisor today and it's rated the number 2 resort in Davenport!!!

It looks very nice, there are lots of pics to view and I'm very excited about it!

I've been lurking this thread so I thought I'd post something.

We are trying to move at the end of June 2009, but we are still deciding where to go. This thread is helping me think about all the things that need to happen before a move.

Good luck on your move!

Hi and I'm glad you posted! Good luck with your move ~ there is a lot and we only have a few weeks to do it but it will work out great. Hope this thread helps you out a lot!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter