The We Moved To Orlando Trip Report Update 4/12 Trevon's Birthday & East

Had to laugh reading about the military musings. My DH retired after 30 years, couldn't wait to buy the big house and settle down. Well guess what? After all that time moving was in our blood! We have moved three times since he retired 8 years ago! And the big house? Four bedrooms, family room, living and dining, huge kitchen, pool, basketball court, volleyball court, everything we always wanted. Til we got it! Boy was that alot to take care of! When my DD went off to college we sold and moved into a 2 bedroom townhome. I love it, can clean the whole place in under an hour. Now we're thinking about moving again, DH is getting ready to retire again, and we really want to be closer to the sea. Lived by the sea my entire life (except for a tour at headquarters in DC) and really miss it. Orlando has lots of lakes but it's just not the same! One thing you mentioned Earthfairy about hurricanes, we do indeed get them in Orlando. You mentioned renting and in my opinion that is a good way to start because living here and visiting are very different. The heat and humidity are relentless. Doesn't bother me, I'm used to it but alot of people find they just can't deal with it. And BUGS!!!!!!!! Gracious they are everywhere! Not trying to discourage you, we love it here, especially being at Disneys back door. Good luck to you and let me know if I can help with any more information.

Had to laugh reading about the military musings. My DH retired after 30 years, couldn't wait to buy the big house and settle down. Well guess what? After all that time moving was in our blood! We have moved three times since he retired 8 years ago! And the big house? Four bedrooms, family room, living and dining, huge kitchen, pool, basketball court, volleyball court, everything we always wanted. Til we got it! Boy was that alot to take care of!

I can so totally see that happening to us! :lmao: I just get so bored seeing the same surroundings for more than 3 years. I thrive on change. I start to get an itch to move after 2 years.

The military definitely is a great way to see the world.

I'm here, thanks for the link. I'm very excited your ggoing to share your move to Orlando with all of us. I know how badly i want to move there too. Just not sure which areas are the most family friendly. I guess we would look for somewhere to move and kind of stay put. I'm not sure if TN is going to be that for our family :confused3 . So in the next 2 years it will probably be back to NJ or somwhere new for our family.

Anyway I'm really excited for your family. Your days off and weekends are going to the best!! There is so much to do and see there. being closer to the beach will be great, even just to visit. Looking forward to more popcorn:: .

Hi ~ glad you're here :goodvibes

I'm working on checking out the areas ~ have been for a few weeks now. Gosh there are so many to choose from and they are all so different!!!

My husband and I might move to Orlando as well. We both lose our jobs in Michigan so we have nothing holding us back. We were toying with the idea of Chicago and Denver. But my husband says since I love Disney so much why don't we just move down there? I think both of our families would always be visiting if we moved down there.

We just have to find jobs first :thumbsup2

Your husband is a smart man :laughing: Why not, that's what we said! Just live there and enjoy it for even a year if you want! Good luck job hunting! It would be a super place for your family and friends to come and visit :goodvibes

Thanks for reading along and welcome :)

Ok, I have to join in. I moved to Tampa this past July, so I am just a little over an hour from Orlando and love the area. Thought it would be fun to read someone else adventures. I'll have to check out your TR!

Hi! Glad you are joining in :goodvibes Do you love it in Tampa? How often do you visit Orlando?

You should check out the TR ~ it's a great one ;) We had TONS of fun!!!
It's full of pics and I even have links to all the posts to make it easier to read ;)

As a resident of greater Orlando, I'll answer questions you may have about the areas that I am familiar with. Welcome!

Hi! That would be SUPER!!! I need help right now, really badly :worship:
I am really trying to find out about the neighborhoods. I'm looking at Clermont right now, nice, new houses for great prices but everyone says it's so far out...Where do you recommend that is close to WDW, I'd prefer to stay under 20 minutes but don't mind the drive for a nice big house in a safe neighborhood! Thanks:goodvibes

Had to laugh reading about the military musings. My DH retired after 30 years, couldn't wait to buy the big house and settle down. Well guess what? After all that time moving was in our blood! We have moved three times since he retired 8 years ago! And the big house? Four bedrooms, family room, living and dining, huge kitchen, pool, basketball court, volleyball court, everything we always wanted. Til we got it! Boy was that alot to take care of! When my DD went off to college we sold and moved into a 2 bedroom townhome. I love it, can clean the whole place in under an hour. Now we're thinking about moving again, DH is getting ready to retire again, and we really want to be closer to the sea. Lived by the sea my entire life (except for a tour at headquarters in DC) and really miss it. Orlando has lots of lakes but it's just not the same! One thing you mentioned Earthfairy about hurricanes, we do indeed get them in Orlando. You mentioned renting and in my opinion that is a good way to start because living here and visiting are very different. The heat and humidity are relentless. Doesn't bother me, I'm used to it but alot of people find they just can't deal with it. And BUGS!!!!!!!! Gracious they are everywhere! Not trying to discourage you, we love it here, especially being at Disneys back door. Good luck to you and let me know if I can help with any more information.

Hi there! That's funny. Have you ever thought about RVing fulltime? Sounds like it may work for you guys. That's what my parents want to do too ~ my dad has not liked staying in one place!

I know the heat and humidity is horrid and the bugs too...but know I am fully aware of this ~ that's why I always said I wouldn't live in Fl. Anyway, I'm not sugar coating the move ~ it will be hot and I will be holed up in my air conditioned house during the hottest months! I will deal with it though, just to be able to go to WDW and all the other great places for a couple of years!

Thanks again ~ and I'm always looking for help with areas in Orlando!

Hi! That would be SUPER!!! I need help right now, really badly :worship:
I am really trying to find out about the neighborhoods. I'm looking at Clermont right now, nice, new houses for great prices but everyone says it's so far out...Where do you recommend that is close to WDW, I'd prefer to stay under 20 minutes but don't mind the drive for a nice big house in a safe neighborhood! Thanks:goodvibes

Clermont isn't far out at all, there are areas of southern Clermont that are 10 minutes from Disney property. You should look into Windermere too. It's super close to Disney without feeling like your living in tourist world. We lived in Kissimmee off 192 for 6 months and hated it, couldn't move fast enough. It was way too crowded and the traffic was horrible. Windermere is really nice and you can get to the back way into the Magic Kingdom in under 10 minutes.

How wonderful for you and your family! I look forward to following you on your adventure!:thumbsup2

I hate humidity, but then again I hate the cold weather. I think I would rather take warmer all year round than really cold in the winter.

Clermont isn't far out at all, there are areas of southern Clermont that are 10 minutes from Disney property. You should look into Windermere too. It's super close to Disney without feeling like your living in tourist world. We lived in Kissimmee off 192 for 6 months and hated it, couldn't move fast enough. It was way too crowded and the traffic was horrible. Windermere is really nice and you can get to the back way into the Magic Kingdom in under 10 minutes.

That's great to hear. I'm so excited to get input from my fellow DISers. I've been on the city-data forums and a lot of people on there just seem to spew out all negative stuff, like they don't want you to move to their area:laughing: I've heard that Clermont is full of rednecks! I've heard it was really country and really , really out there...so good to hear this, thanks for your help:)
I checked out Windermere, but don't like the houses available as much as Clermont. They are more expensive and I don't know, I seem to like Clermont for some reason.
I've also been told about Lake Mary & Dr. Phillips.

How wonderful for you and your family! I look forward to following you on your adventure!:thumbsup2

Thanks! And thanks for following us on our adventure :goodvibes

I hate humidity, but then again I hate the cold weather. I think I would rather take warmer all year round than really cold in the winter.

Me too ~ I really do. I don't hate the cold too much though, I'd rather have that than the heat honestly, but oh well. I guess it's because I grew up in Alaska :laughing:
I do have to admit though I am getting tired of the seasons here in NC. Honestly it's a pain to go out in the winter and I don't like going out in the summer either, so it will be about the same in Orlando, we will be out all the time in the nice months!

When are we moving you ask? Well...

It was supposed to be when our lease is up in September, we just renewed it you see :(

But me, being the person I am :laughing: figured a way out of the lease without the $3000.00 penalty!

Hey, what can I say ~ when I want something , I want it now and I really try to make it happen :rotfl:

So now, because of certain circumstances, let's just say the ball started rolling without us ~ it seems as though it is meant to be, sooner than later for some reason.

I will know for sure tomorrow , or Sat. morning by the latest, but if all goes as planned, we will be moving in ONE MONTH!!!

Wow ! I can't believe it! It's so exciting but nerve wracking at the same time!

I have SO much to do!!!

So there you have it, I will let you all know as soon as it's definate , within the next 48 hours...

If for some reason things don't go as planned (which is slim) then we WILL be moving in Feb., which is only 2 months away, instead of 9 so it's all good :goodvibes

Next up ~ houses...any help would be appreciated! Do we get a pool home? A home close to WDW? A condo? Help!!!

You are living my dream! I always tell my DH some day........ I will enjoy reading this. I'm a little scared of all this talk about bugs though! :scared1:

You are living my dream! I always tell my DH some day........ I will enjoy reading this. I'm a little scared of all this talk about bugs though! :scared1:

Hi! So glad you joined us in the dream adventure!!!

Yes, that's the right attitude, someday... :wizard:

I know ~ the bugs :scared: Boy I sure don't like bugs...especially the palmetto bugs...:scared1:
At least no one is talking about snakes! On the other forum you should read about all the snakes people see there!!!

Hi! So glad you joined us in the dream adventure!!!

Yes, that's the right attitude, someday... :wizard:

I know ~ the bugs :scared: Boy I sure don't like bugs...especially the palmetto bugs...:scared1:
At least no one is talking about snakes! On the other forum you should read about all the snakes people see there!!!

I'm the most afraid of spiders. Are there any spider threads I should know about?

BTW I think you should rent something for a while to get a feel for which kind of area you like best. And if you rent in a cool condo with a pool then you won't have to pay for the pool boy until you buy your own pool! :thumbsup2

That's great to hear. I'm so excited to get input from my fellow DISers. I've been on the city-data forums and a lot of people on there just seem to spew out all negative stuff, like they don't want you to move to their area:laughing: I've heard that Clermont is full of rednecks! I've heard it was really country and really , really out there...so good to hear this, thanks for your help:)
I checked out Windermere, but don't like the houses available as much as Clermont. They are more expensive and I don't know, I seem to like Clermont for some reason.
I've also been told about Lake Mary & Dr. Phillips.

Clermont, full of rednecks? That's so off base it's funny. :rotfl:

I'm the most afraid of spiders. Are there any spider threads I should know about?

BTW I think you should rent something for a while to get a feel for which kind of area you like best. And if you rent in a cool condo with a pool then you won't have to pay for the pool boy until you buy your own pool! :thumbsup2

Ooh, I don't like spiders!!! No, I didn't see any threads about spiders in particular, just lots of bugs and snakes...
We are going to rent no doubt ~ we don't want a home to settle down in now, and not Fl. for sure. We're just going to live there for fun for a couple of years.
I did notice lots of pool homes come with pool care, that would be nice. And some are saltwater which I would definately have to have. Then they have nice hot tubs...:cloud9:

Clermont, full of rednecks? That's so off base it's funny. :rotfl:

Really? I thought it didn't sound right. I'm like, rednecks? Now we have lots of those here in NC (no offense to anyone :laughing: ) but in Clermont?!? Anyway, once again good to hear that. I'm telling you, maybe I should just stay off the Orlando boards on city-data:scared: After all this stuff on Clermont I was really starting to doubt the area ~ way far out...lots of rednecks...

Whatever you do don't base where you want to move off of other peoples opinions, one persons paradise can be another's nightmare and vice-versa. The towns surrounding Orlando are very diverse in term of feel, people and even the land. Make sure you visit all the areas that interest you in person before you settle on where you'll live, even if this means an extra trip down, it's well worth it!

Ooh, I don't like spiders!!! No, I didn't see any threads about spiders in particular, just lots of bugs and snakes...
We are going to rent no doubt ~ we don't want a home to settle down in now, and not Fl. for sure. We're just going to live there for fun for a couple of years.
I did notice lots of pool homes come with pool care, that would be nice. And some are saltwater which I would definately have to have. Then they have nice hot tubs...:cloud9:

Really? I thought it didn't sound right. I'm like, rednecks? Now we have lots of those here in NC (no offense to anyone :laughing: ) but in Clermont?!? Anyway, once again good to hear that. I'm telling you, maybe I should just stay off the Orlando boards on city-data:scared: After all this stuff on Clermont I was really starting to doubt the area ~ way far out...lots of rednecks...

DH use to work in Orlando and he'd hear that kind of stuff all the time, he was like huh? Then he'd start to ask people have you been there? And they'd say no, but I heard..... he'd just laugh. It's built up a lot in recent years too, we moved down to Florida 3 years ago and we can't believe how much has gone up in Clermont since we use to pass through on the way to Disney from Ocala. Maybe it's because Clermont has a southern feel to it, who knows. :confused3

Whatever you do don't base where you want to move off of other peoples opinions, one persons paradise can be another's nightmare and vice-versa. The towns surrounding Orlando are very diverse in term of feel, people and even the land. Make sure you visit all the areas that interest you in person before you settle on where you'll live, even if this means an extra trip down, it's well worth it!

I won't be able to take a trip down before moving. Our u-haul will be sitting in the hotel parking lot while we search for rentals...

But I do hope to have it narrowed down to a few good areas. Clermont seems to be my fave so far, even though the houses I've looked at seem to be about 30 miles from WDW.

I learned long ago not to go by other's reviews alone. Lots of people tend to look at things negitively and I don't ever. I'm a very positive person and have noticed I don't usually agree with other's reviews:laughing:

It's hard this time though, the first time I've ever moved and to a new place that's so big.

I'm really thankful for everyone's help:worship:

I won't be able to take a trip down before moving. Our u-haul will be sitting in the hotel parking lot while we search for rentals...

But I do hope to have it narrowed down to a few good areas. Clermont seems to be my fave so far, even though the houses I've looked at seem to be about 30 miles from WDW.

I learned long ago not to go by other's reviews alone. Lots of people tend to look at things negitively and I don't ever. I'm a very positive person and have noticed I don't usually agree with other's reviews:laughing:

It's hard this time though, the first time I've ever moved and to a new place that's so big.

I'm really thankful for everyone's help:worship:

Maybe you should consider staying in a hotel for a week or so to check things out. Wait I have an idea, I'll PM you.........

Congratulations! I'm in the Tampa Bay area, so no help Orlando wise, but sounds like you guys are going to have some fun!

When are we moving you ask? Well...

Do we get a pool home? A home close to WDW? A condo? Help!!!

YES!! Get a pool. I'ts so nice on a summer night to just sit in the pool and relax. You can get a projector and watch movies on the side of your house while floating around. Plus, during the day, in the middle of August, you won't want to be on dry land!:laughing:

I know ~ the bugs :scared: Boy I sure don't like bugs

Get yourself some Off Sport, and you'll be okay! As for snakes, I have seen 2.

As others have said, Clermont is not far from WDW. It is nice area with many new housing areas and a lot of new shopping.

I live in Windermere and love it, but housing can be more expensive here than many of the areas in Clermont. I live down the street from an area where the house start at around $3 million.

You are in luck if you are planning on renting a home here now. Many people are desperate to rent homes and you should get a good price on the rent. If you are looking to purchase, it is also a great time, but credit is tight.

I'm glad to hear that you are not in desperate need of jobs as soon as you move here. Jobs are hard to come by right now in this area. There are many people out of work.

Let me know if you have a specific question.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter