The Wardroble Malfunction Trip 12 - Blizzard beach and Wishes Cruise

spookysarah

DIS Veteran
Blizzard Beach & Wishes cruise

Me, Sarah 31 – chief planner, lover of all things Disney
DH, Craig, 34 – driver and foodie
DD, Holly, 10 – loves characters and especially drawing them
DD, Rowan, 8 – not going upside down this year!
3 newbies -
My mum, Shona, 50 - big kid and possible thrill junkie
My dad, Alastair, 57 – the banker and carrier bag holder
My sister, Mel, 29 – doesn’t do characters and slightly bemused by the 'Disney thing'

1st October 2007

This morning after some quick eats the girls went to mum and dads room whilst Craig and I went to but school trousers for Holly in Mall at Millenia. Unfortunately we arrived too early and did not want to hang around until it opened so we headed back to the hotel and we all set of for Blizzard Beach. We set up camp somewhere around the Polar Pub as it was near a smoking area for dad. He was going to have a relaxing day today and just sit in the sun and chill. The rest of us headed off in the lazy river making sure of course that my mum and sister were pushed under the icy cold waterfalls!

They won’t be smiling under the icy waterfalls
image63800x532.jpg

Next up was the family raft ride Teamboat Springs. All six of us went in the same raft. There was much screaming, shouting and a whole lot of laughing! We careered down the side of the hill ending in a massive splash at the bottom. I’m not sure quite what happened but when we splashed down the raft sunk in the middle and rose up on two sides like a giant clam closing! We were hysterical with laughter but managed to compose ourselves for for the Photopass photographer.

Waterpark10800x541.jpg

Waterpark7800x541.jpg

Waterpark12800x541.jpg

image68800x532.jpg

Craig and my sister both went on Summit Plummet while we waited at the bottom to check their speeds…and their wedgies!

We had a quick stop for lunch before getting heading into the wave pool. I did not like this pool as much as I worried a bit about the girls even thought hey are better swimmers than me. Also, getting into the rings is almost impossible. I did manage at one pint but was washed to shore and grounded before I could paddle out, lol!

image59800x532.jpg

It rained a few times while we were there and the sky was noticeably darker but we had fun regardless. We tried most of the other slides. Toboggan Racers was just as fast and thrilling as I remembered it but Snow Stormers was even worse – you really get thrown around too much. Runoff Rapids were great fun and we went on these a few times. We finished off with another trip around the lazy river.

Waterpark11800x541.jpg

For dinner we went to the Earl of Sandwich at Downtown Disney. We all enjoyed our sandwiches.

IMG_1095800x600.jpg

We split up to go shopping. Mum dragged dad off to the Christmas Shop while the rest of us headed along to the Lego store. Holly and Rowan had great fun filling cups with Lego. We were having so much fun that we didn’t notice the rain had started. The rain was torrential by the time we made our purchases and we were stuck in the Logo store about as far away from the car as we cold get. This was also the only time we had ever ventured away from the car without our ponchos – oh no!
When it became clear that it was not going to go off we made a run for it (Crocs in hand and barefoot so we didn’t slip) into the next store. We made our way through the busy store before once again making a run for it. By this time we were soaked to the skin. We found mum and dad beside the door to the car park bone dry! Boy they laughed at the sight of us! We watched and waited for the rain to go off. It didn’t show any signs of letting up and we had a Wishes Cruise booked for 8pm and were meeting an American family from the DIS who were joining us. There was no choice but for Craig to make a run for the car. Within minutes he drew up and climbed into the back to open the sliding door for us. We all shot out of the shop and ran though the puddles which were past ankle deep by now and into the car. It was like something out of a movie, lol! The care steamed up within minutes and we had to put the haters and demisters on full blast.

The rain was still not letting up but we had to meet our new friends so off we set for the Polynesian. This drive was the scariest thing I have done in ages. Visibility was very poor and I had to crane my neck to try and read the signs which were just feet away as we passed them. At one point we considered going off the road until it stopped but we might have sat there for ages. We finally arrived at the Polynesian with a huge sigh of relief. I tried to find our friends of whom I had seen one photo. They had been dining at the Kona Café but had left. I tried calling their mobile but it didn’t work. We decided to go to the boat dock to see what was happening. Our skipper, Captain Keith assured us we would sail once the weather improved. None of us looked confident that would happen. I set off to try and find our friends. I was looking for a mum and dad with a 4 year old boy but spotted a man and his son and I guess something about them seemed familiar and I called out, ‘Are you Tom and Matt?’ I could not believe my ears when he said yes! Only problem was his wife Joyce had set off looking for us. We all eventually met at the boat dock and miraculously the rain had stopped and we set sail! It was very windy and cold out but we had ponchos and our towels to keep us warm. Joyce, Tom and Matt were very easy to speak to and we had a very enjoyable evening. Captain Keith kept us entertained with lots of pirate jokes. What is a pirate’s favourite letter? Aaaaaar! Groan! He also knew lots of interesting Disney trivia. We had plenty of canned drinks and crisps and drinks to munch on and we saw the Electrical Water Pageant pass by.

IMG_1103800x600.jpg

Captain Keith
IMG_1145800x600.jpg

The weather turned on more than one occasion with the winds picking up and the rain falling. It was so cold when it found a way into your poncho! However in true Disney magic fashion Wishes kicked off after a half hour delay. This was the first time we had seen Wishes and it did not disappoint. It was lovely to have the narration and music piped in and also to see just how big these fireworks are. You truly get a sense of their size as the explode towering above the castle. There were many spine tingling moments and it was lovely to share the experience as a family and with our new friends. The night had finished off perfectly despite the poor outlook after dinner.

Tom, Matt & Joyce
IMG_1100800x600.jpg

IMG_1097800x600.jpg

The wet and windy weather did not spoil our evening
IMG_1146800x600.jpg

The size of the fireworks is amazing!
IMG_1138800x600.jpg

IMG_1139800x600.jpg

We arrived back at the boat dock and wandered into the lobby where we had some photos taken.

IMG_1148800x600.jpg

IMG_1147600x800.jpg

We said goodbye promising to keep in touch and headed back to our hotel, still soaking wet and tired but very happy. We found our one and only (and very bizarre) towel ‘thing’ on our return. Any suggestions?

IMG_1152600x800.jpg

Tomorrow – our lost day and a poorly girl

Hmm what a funny looking thing,possibly a teddy bear or some of one eyed bug ..:lmao: Another great day :thumbsup2

Glad you had a good day. The rain can certainly bounce down over there. We love the Earl of Sandwich too.

Would your Mum, Dad and sister go back to Orlando?

Glad you had a good day. The rain can certainly bounce down over there. We love the Earl of Sandwich too.

Would your Mum, Dad and sister go back to Orlando?

I agree with your comments on the rain and EOS.

My mum and dad are coming with us next summer for 3 weeks of fun! :thumbsup2 My sister hopes to return some day but she has other plans for the next year or two.

Thanks for that, just wondered what your 'newbies' thought of it all. So pleased your Mam and Dad are going with you next year. My parents came with us the first time we went but wouldn't go again. I think my sister would if she had the cash though (too busy trying to get a house). I would love to introduce the delights of Disney/US/SW with my brother, his wife and my nieces aged 4 and 1 1/2 years old.

Thanks for that, just wondered what your 'newbies' thought of it all. So pleased your Mam and Dad are going with you next year. My parents came with us the first time we went but wouldn't go again. I think my sister would if she had the cash though (too busy trying to get a house). I would love to introduce the delights of Disney/US/SW with my brother, his wife and my nieces aged 4 and 1 1/2 years old.

I loved going with newbies but had to remind myself on a number of occasions not to become too much 'tour guide barbie' if you know what I mean? But it was great fun knowing to watch for thie reactions in say, something like Philhramagic with the corks! That was priceless! I'm sure you would have fun showing family with young kids around. ::yes::

The Earl of Sandwich looked cool and so did the cruise, shame the weather wasn't better but glad you made the best of it anyway

The Earl of Sandwich looked cool and so did the cruise, shame the weather wasn't better but glad you made the best of it anyway

Looking back the weather made it more of an adventure if that makes sense? Also as we thought Wishes would be cancelled we were amaed when Disney blew away the rain ;) and the show went ahead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter