The Waiting Game... anyone else playing?

Discussion in 'Purchasing DVC' started by Lorilais_mommie, Jan 12, 2019 at 7:18 PM.

  1. Lorilais_mommie

    Lorilais_mommie " They can drink pepsi, but they can't pee in the

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2010
    Messages:
    3,028
    This last week has been such a Whirlwind. My husband and I had been in talks about buying another contract for a couple months. :teacher:Going back and forth are where and how many points.
    Not our 1st time buying resale, We were in no rush:coffee:
    Then BOOM DVC drops the news about the big changes coming to resale. :scared1:We quickly found a contract, negotiated with seller, get everything signed and sent off to Disney.. and now...…. we wait..:rolleyes1

    What does everyone do to pass the time??
    I don't remember being this anxious last time.. :scared:
     
  2. DanCio

    DanCio Earning My Ears

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2018
    Messages:
    45
    I'm in the same boat. I've been looking at buying DVC for about 6 months and decided I wanted to go resale back in Oct when I talked to a cousin who bought BWV & SSR direct over the years. Then I waited on finding a contract I liked. I saw 1 at SSR for 160 points at $95 a point from The Timeshare Store and thought about it for a few days until last Tuesday (1/8/2018) when I got an email from DVC By Resale with the news about the changes. I immediately called The Timeshare Store, asked about the contract, it was available, they sent me the paperwork, I signed it, sent it back, the Seller signed it, I was approved for financing, and it was sent to Disney for ROFR at 4:30 pm on the 8th. I got an email from the Timeshare Store saying I would close In about 40 days. I wish buying a home was this easy!

    But now I wait, and wait, and wait. I'm anxious because of the $95 pp. There were 2 SSR Contracts priced at $95 pp in the ROFR thread, one Disney bought back.

    All I do is continue to do what I do every day, check my email and work.
     
  3. Avatar

    DIS Sponsor Disney Vacation Club Resales www.dvcstore.com


  4. Cyberc1978

    Cyberc1978 DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2016
    Messages:
    1,148
    When I bought a small add on late last year we went to WDW a few days after signing the contract and a few days after we got home we got an email about it had passed ROFR.
     
  5. Wakey

    Wakey DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2015
    Messages:
    1,364
    Allegedly someone the other day heard the guides talking amongst themselves saying they had been told there was an aim in January for 70-80% ROFR. I suppose wait and see, but good luck to you and everyone else who has tried to beat the deadline.
     
  6. jsand99

    jsand99 Mouseketeer

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2018
    Messages:
    78
    I had one taken last month and was planning on taking my time finding another. After hearing the news, I jumped in again and am now waiting. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney takes the majority back that are submitted before the 19th in hopes that those resale buyers will become direct buyers so they won't have restrictions.
     
  7. spacepoints

    spacepoints Earning My Ears

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Messages:
    43
    I'm in the waiting game too. We were just at BLT over Christmas and thought we would buy some more points "sometime" in the near future. Well, that timeline got bumped up with this announcement of resale restrictions and pending direct price increases. And as for the 70-80% ROFR, that doesn't surprise me for two reasons. 1) With these changes, the sheer volume of contracts that will come by Disney will be immense and they could either accept all or reject all and review a few. 2) They stand to make a ton more money to sell direct even when buying the most "expensive" resale contracts.
     
  8. DduzDis

    DduzDis Mouseketeer

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2017
    Messages:
    393
    I am right there too. They are taking their time reviewing ours. Last Friday was the end of 4 weeks in ROFR. I wish they would just pull the trigger either way. I have seen a few great alternatives slip through because we don’t know about our current contract yet.
     
  9. Lorilais_mommie

    Lorilais_mommie " They can drink pepsi, but they can't pee in the

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2010
    Messages:
    3,028
    Disney trip to help the wait! love that idea!!! wish we could take a trip right now..

    Ouch! that would be crazy to ROFR that many, but I wouldn't put it passed Disney to do it.
    I'm betting they will take the one we summitted Bc it was for BLT and had points for 17,18,19.
    if they do take it we will wait for the price to come back down a little. They went up quickly over the last week.
     
  10. spacepoints

    spacepoints Earning My Ears

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Messages:
    43
    Unfortunate product of Disney-created demand and FOMO.
     
  11. Reneedisnerd

    Reneedisnerd Mouseketeer

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2018
    Messages:
    169
    I found an extended 25 OKW contract and put in a full price offer the Friday before the announcement. The savings over direct is minimal but any money saved is something. I doubt we will hear anything before the 19th but honestly, if it doesn’t go through we will just buy direct. We already have 300 points at SSR (200 resale and 100 direct) and the wait for both was terrible. We got our resale contract the fourth try through ROFR and almost 6 months from first starting the process. Then we waited weeks to finally get direct points. The 25 points we are attempting to get are not urgent and we don’t need them for anything. We eventually want 50 more at SSR and at least 75 at OKW. We plan on buying slowly and as we get the funds. Looks like with the minimal savings at the 25 point level I might as well just go direct from here on out.
     
  12. Ben E N

    Ben E N DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2017
    Messages:
    2,460
    That would make sense. This has clearly been planned for a long time, so they had time to stock the funds. They only gave a small amount of notice, leaving less people to shop, and then they would own the points needed to allow DVC2 to transfer into DVC1.

    Now I want to offer full price on a contract just to stick it to them a little more.
     
    we"reofftoneverland likes this.
  13. SUSIEQ

    SUSIEQ DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2005
    Messages:
    2,481
    Alright, that made me chuckle!
     
    Buzzsgramma and Ben E N like this.
  14. ziravan

    ziravan Welcome Home

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2014
    Messages:
    2,338
    Back in my day, I walked uphill to school both ways and they made you wait the whole 30 days for ROFR. That was a looooonnnnnnggggg 30 days for my first contract.
     
    Madame and Matty B13 like this.
  15. sshaw0715

    sshaw0715 Earning My Ears

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2015
    Messages:
    61
    We are. I am afraid Disney is going to go on a huge buying spree. This will be our first contract and I am really nervous.
     
  16. craigkerstiens

    craigkerstiens Mouseketeer

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2014
    Messages:
    397
    In the same boat, ours was sent for ROFR on Dec. 30. The really annoying thing is if Disney grabs it they could do so after the 19th. Still we'll likely go back and offer on another, but still frustrating nonetheless. Here's hoping it goes through fine.
     
  17. sshaw0715

    sshaw0715 Earning My Ears

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2015
    Messages:
    61
    Just read an article stating Disney is raising direct sale prices across the board 01/16. Plays into my fears about them going on a shopping spree during this time.
     
  18. Ben E N

    Ben E N DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2017
    Messages:
    2,460
    Yeah there have been strong rumors, supported by guides, that prices are going up by the 19th. This, in its sneaky, quiet way, along with the quick announcement of resale restrictions, Riviera resale nastiness, 2020 point chart with its questionable ethics behind it, and the possibility that they are going to ROFR many of the contracts submitted recently, has lead many to feel DVC is losing its luster. I have sadly already told three interested family and friends to stay away from DVC. That the good days of getting in are now over.
     
    DougEMG and Madame like this.
  19. Reedy

    Reedy Earning My Ears

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2018
    Messages:
    15
    I am in waiting too. Mine was sent over on Saturday. I sure hope the high buy back rate is simply rumor, but we shall see. The new announcements actually left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth to be honest. If they do end up exercising ROFR, then I simply wont be going as much as I originally intended. Instead of going 1-2 times per year, Ill go elsewhere an only visit Disney every 3-4 years.
     
  20. Bryan Burmeister

    Bryan Burmeister Earning My Ears

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2018
    Messages:
    11
    I agree with this. It will be terrible if the pre-restriction one gets snapped up, but at the same time, it's still better to buy re-sale than pay direct prices.
     
  21. minorthr

    minorthr Mouseketeer

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2016
    Messages:
    498
    Playing the waiting game on a very small add-on we shall see.
     

Share This Page