The Waffles do Disneyworld! (14 nights, 6 people, a million memories 9/2017) updated: 4/24

Sarahboo

100% geek
Hello Hello!

We've started ferociously planning our trip for September 2017 and what better way to do that than a Dis planning thread?

Who are we?

My name is Sarah (obvs), I'm 38, a Realtor, a mom, and I was elected to our city council last fall (in a super contentious election). I love comic books, the musical Hamilton, wine, hosting parties, board games (we have over 200 now I think), and I frequently speak on panels at geeky conventions (comicons, board game conventions, etc).

My husband, Chris, will pop in here too! He's 42, a nerd rock musician (he has a band that plays acoustic rock, but they sing about Star Wars, movies, D&D, board games, pop culture, Star Trek, etc.). They play all over the place at different conventions and events.

This is us, being us (at a Weird Al concert last summer):

16730481_10155061278629853_7353273797422836684_n.jpg

We have 4 kids!

Sammie is 17, and she's an outstanding singer, she plays trombone, and is involved in every school play that comes around. She has never been to WDW (but they used to live close to DL so she's been there a lot)!

Parker is 14, and would play video games every waking moment if we allowed. He is also a percussionist in the school band and is on the wrestling team. (Also never been to WDW but has been to DL more times than he can count).

Brynn is 13, and is constantly facetiming her friends. When she takes a second to breathe from that, she plays Alto sax, is in school plays, and she's in a bowling league.

Ezra is 8, and is passionate about making his own Pokemon cards. He also loves Minecraft and doing whatever Parker is doing.

This is our family:

11705203_10153518551924853_6707530561239938843_n.jpg

Our plan at the moment is to be in Disney from September 7 to the 23rd. We have a family suite booked at All-Star Music Resort. I really wanted to stay at AoA, but for that long of a trip it was $1000 difference, and a thousand dollars goes a long way! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for free dining because that saves a family of 6 a ton of money.

Up next, dining reservations! I'm almost done making them. I have to make one more tomorrow because our trip was longer than 10 days so I've had to get online every day to make the last few.

Last edited:
Plans so far:

September 9 - Fly into MCO

We haven't booked our flights yet because if we need to jump around a few days to make sure we get FD, we want that flexibility. Hopefully we'll be able to book the fight that gets in around 4:30 PM.

Dining Reservations: Whispering Canyon Cafe' - 7:30 PM (Do you think that's enough time to get from MCO to ASMu, check-in, and get to WL?)

We're thinking about switching this to Boathouse, but I'm also overthinking every little thing, so.

September 10 - Animal Kingdom

The park is scheduled to close at 7pm which seems early if they're going to do Rivers of Light. Anyway, if they close at 7, I don't want to be eating from 5:30 until the park closes, so we made reservations for after park closing:

Boma - 7:50 PM - That seems so late to eat but I worry about how long it will take us to get on a bus at park closing, over to the resort, and into the restaurant. The two oldest kids have never been to WDW and the younger two haven't been in 6 years, so if we get to AKL early we'll have plenty to look at.

September 11 - Hollywood Studios

Sci-Fi Dine In - 5:40 PM

This one is a leap of faith for me. I got food poisoning last time I went to WDW and I have good suspicion that it was Sci-Fi that did me in. I don't remember what I ate, but I was the only one who ate it. The next day was our only Animal Kingdom Day and I threw up on our way to Tusker House Breakfast, nearly got sick again on the Safari, and then I went home to sleep the rest of the day while my ex-husband and kids all enjoyed the park without me. I was heartbroken. No Expedition Everest, no Dinosaur, no nothing for the whole trip. Chris really wants to go to Sci-Fi and I figure it won't happen again, but if I get sick, I swear to god. :badpc:

September 12 - EPCOT

Biergarten - 5:50

This will be my first Food and Wine festival EVER and I am super excited. :dogdance:

September 13 - Magic Kingdom

Skipper Canteen - 5:15 (New to me)

Chris - This is where you chime in on how you've geeked out about the Society of Explorers and Adventurers.

September 14 - Uber to Universal (we haven't made reservations for Universal dining yet but it's not as crazy as making Drs for Disney so I haven't even looked at it yet)

September 15 - Uber to Universal

September 16 - Hollywood Studios

Spirit of Aloha - 8:15 - (New to me) So late to eat, but it seems weird to do Spirit of Aloha when it's light out. Bring on the free sangria!!!

September 17 - Hang at the hotel pool, go to Disney Springs, revel in Vacationworld

T-Rex - 6:00 - (New to me restaurant) - Ezra will lose his ever loving mind.

September 18 - Uber to Volcano Bay

September 19 - Animal Kingdom

Le Cellier - 8:10

It's EMH at Epcot until 11pm, so we'll jam over there and enjoy my favorite restaurant (so far - we're eating at a lot of new ones for me this time)!

September 20 - Typhoon Lagoon

O'Hana 5:50

September 21 - EPCOT

Teppan Edo - 5:30 (New to me restaurant!)

September 22 - Magic Kingdom

(Hoping for BoG for Dinner but I can't make that reservation until tomorrow)

September 23 - Fly Home - :worried:

And OMG, I forgot our favorite kid!

Sir Reginald Stewart Hound (he just goes by Stew or Stewie), 9 years old, we rescued him when he was 7, and he's the world's largest Puggle. He will not be joining us in WDW and I don't know how we'll all survive so long without him:lovestruc:

This is us with him at our town's 4th of July festival:

11701232_10153492023754853_6448126435624723046_n.jpg

I am so excited for this trip! The only other time I have been to WDW was in 1998 and I know so much has changed in 20 years. I am a second generation theme park fanatic and I can't wait to regale the family with tales of Imagineering design while we wait in line!

I am so excited for this trip! The only other time I have been to WDW was in 1998 and I know so much has changed in 20 years. I am a second generation theme park fanatic and I can't wait to regale the family with tales of Imagineering design while we wait in line!

Oh dear, the kids will be riveted.

Hello Hello!

We've started ferociously planning our trip for September 2017 and what better way to do that than a Dis planning thread?

:cheer2:

We have 4 kids!

Hey that's not a million! :rotfl:But it probably feels like it sometimes.

Brynn is 13, and is constantly facetiming her friends. When she takes a second to breathe from that, she plays Alto sax, is in school plays, and she's in a bowling league.

My 14 year old sister is constantly facetiming her friends too!

By the way I didn't get the picture in here but your family is so cute! And I think it's cool both you and your husband are involved in comicons and other conventions. I've never been to one but they look cool.

Our plan at the moment is to be in Disney from September 7 to the 23rd. We have a family suite booked at All-Star Music Resort. I really wanted to stay at AoA, but for that long of a trip it was $1000 difference, and a thousand dollars goes a long way! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for free dining because that saves a family of 6 a ton of money.

Yay we'll be there the 8th-17th! A thousand dollars does go a long way. If there's any change I want to make and it's more than +$300 I usually stick with what I have even if I have to convince myself. Vice versa if it saves that much I'll make the change that's how we ended up choosing CBR for Sep.

Plans so far:

Dining Reservations: Whispering Canyon Cafe' - 7:30 PM (Do you think that's enough time to get from MCO to ASMu, check-in, and get to WL?)

We're thinking about switching this to Boathouse, but I'm also overthinking every little thing, so.

September 11 - Hollywood Studios

Sci-Fi Dine In - 5:40 PM

This one is a leap of faith for me. I got food poisoning last time I went to WDW and I have good suspicion that it was Sci-Fi that did me in. I don't remember what I ate, but I was the only one who ate it. The next day was our only Animal Kingdom Day and I threw up on our way to Tusker House Breakfast, nearly got sick again on the Safari, and then I went home to sleep the rest of the day while my ex-husband and kids all enjoyed the park without me. I was heartbroken. No Expedition Everest, no Dinosaur, no nothing for the whole trip. Chris really wants to go to Sci-Fi and I figure it won't happen again, but if I get sick, I swear to god. :badpc:

If it makes you feel better my burger at Scifi was good and we'll be returning there in May. I hope you have a better experience this time!

This will be my first Food and Wine festival EVER and I am super excited. :dogdance:

Last year was mine and I loved it!

September 14 - Uber to Universal (we haven't made reservations for Universal dining yet but it's not as crazy as making Drs for Disney so I haven't even looked at it yet)

September 15 - Uber to Universal

We'll be in Universal then too!

:cheer2:

Hey that's not a million! :rotfl:But it probably feels like it sometimes.

I've never been great at math, but if I understand correctly, every child is actually like 250,000 children on vacation so 4=one million. :ccat:

I already changed half of our reservations around. That's how it goes, right? I read in someone else's PTR that they noticed MK was closing at 7 one of the nights we were planning on being at MK, which means it's probably at MNSSHP night. I'd love to go, but it's expensive for a family of 6, so I think we're going to pass. :( Anyway, that meant we had to move reservations. I also noticed that I only planned for 13 TS credits. For all of the thinking and overthinking, moving and changing, I couldn't even count to 14. :confused3

Now our reservations look like this (all dinners with the exception of one):

Whispering Canyon Cafe
Boma
Sci-Fi Dine in
San Angel Inn (Lunch)
Biergarten
Skipper Canteen
Spirit of Aloha
T-Rex
O'Hana
Teppan Edo
Be Our Guest
Le Cellier

I wasn't too stoked about San Angel Inn because we get RAD Mexican food here in Oregon. We live in a small agricultural town about 20 minutes from Portland and the Mexican food here is legit. But Chris went to WDW for his first Honeymoon and has wanted to eat there ever since because it reminds him of Blue Bayou in Disneyland. So. It's his vacation too (I guess popcorn:: ). Marrakesh got the cut for San Angel Inn. I think I'd rather eat at Marrakesh, but our kids will probably like San Angel Inn more too.

What else? Oh yes, I had a city council meeting last night and we had an executive session first to do the performance review for our City Administrator. Those 3 hours are the least I've thought about Disney in weeks.

Here's a picture of me on TV being an elected official. Chris watches from home because we have my two kids on Wednesday nights and they're too young (by a hair) to stay hoe for that long alone. He likes to attend the meetings when he can. Instead the three of them watch live on TV and he sends me a play by play in text or he live tweets.

[GALLERY=]
17342617_10213218461202828_6207527215842083145_n.jpg
[/GALLERY]

Look mom! I'm on TV!

I guess I'm kind of in a holding pattern now until they release FD dates, then it's a mad rush to get the discount and book airline tickets. Then maybe it will all feel real.

I've never been great at math, but if I understand correctly, every child is actually like 250,000 children on vacation so 4=one million. :ccat:

I'm not great at math either but that sounds right :thumbsup2

I already changed half of our reservations around. That's how it goes, right? I read in someone else's PTR that they noticed MK was closing at 7 one of the nights we were planning on being at MK, which means it's probably at MNSSHP night. I'd love to go, but it's expensive for a family of 6, so I think we're going to pass. :( Anyway, that meant we had to move reservations. I also noticed that I only planned for 13 TS credits. For all of the thinking and overthinking, moving and changing, I couldn't even count to 14. :confused3

Whispering Canyon Cafe
Boma
Sci-Fi Dine in
San Angel Inn (Lunch)
Biergarten
Skipper Canteen
Spirit of Aloha
T-Rex
O'Hana
Teppan Edo
Be Our Guest
Le Cellier

I wasn't too stoked about San Angel Inn because we get RAD Mexican food here in Oregon. We live in a small agricultural town about 20 minutes from Portland and the Mexican food here is legit. But Chris went to WDW for his first Honeymoon and has wanted to eat there ever since because it reminds him of Blue Bayou in Disneyland. So. It's his vacation too (I guess popcorn:: ). Marrakesh got the cut for San Angel Inn. I think I'd rather eat at Marrakesh, but our kids will probably like San Angel Inn more too.

We did San Angel Inn on our last trip per my boyfriend's request and it was his birthday so I booked it even though I probably would've picked something else. It was not better than the local Mexican place we have. (But I really love their food). But it was pretty good. The drinks and apps were the best part. I was a little full by the time the entree came though and we were seated at the smallest table! But overall it wasn't a bad meal.

Here's a picture of me on TV being an elected official. Chris watches from home because we have my two kids on Wednesday nights and they're too young (by a hair) to stay hoe for that long alone. He likes to attend the meetings when he can. Instead the three of them watch live on TV and he sends me a play by play in text or he live tweets.

[GALLERY=]
17342617_10213218461202828_6207527215842083145_n.jpg
[/GALLERY]

Look mom! I'm on TV!

I guess I'm kind of in a holding pattern now until they release FD dates, then it's a mad rush to get the discount and book airline tickets. Then maybe it will all feel real.

It's cool they can watch your meetings! We have a May trip coming up that's keeping me busy now but it's true not much can be planned for Sep now until discounts are released. I have to wait till the AP ones are released though.

Yeah, I know there's better eats elsewhere at Epcot but "theming" and "ambiance" is really big for me and I just want to check it out.

I know, Christopher. "Theming" and "ambiance" are your number one concern, and I'm all "Let's compare MENUS!"

It wouldn't be a PTR if we didn't change one billion things, would it? We're now staying at CBR in two pirate rooms (enjoy sharing those full sized beds, kids!). I'm hoping we'll be able to switch to preferred rooms, but if we can't, I'm totally okay with the pirate rooms in Trinidad South. With 2 rooms, and 14 nights, that's $2100 in gift cards which should mean that WDW becomes all inclusive (tips, alcohol and souvenirs covered! Yay!), and we only need to budget for Universal. BUT! If it doesn't combine with free dining, we'll have to switch back to ASMu because it's still a better deal for the 6 of us to have FD than the $2100 in gift cards. Here's to hoping!

We did San Angel Inn on our last trip per my boyfriend's request and it was his birthday so I booked it even though I probably would've picked something else. It was not better than the local Mexican place we have. (But I really love their food). But it was pretty good. The drinks and apps were the best part. I was a little full by the time the entree came though and we were seated at the smallest table! But overall it wasn't a bad meal.

It's cool they can watch your meetings! We have a May trip coming up that's keeping me busy now but it's true not much can be planned for Sep now until discounts are released. I have to wait till the AP ones are released though.

Yay about SAI! I mean, it'll be fun no matter what. Chris and I are people that have fun doing anything and everything and I don't get all wrapped up in things being perfect. I make my plans, and then roll with it because hey, how lucky are we to be going to WDW? We are so privileged and lucky, and I won't tolerate complaints because people could be at home doing homework. pirate:

And yes! It's sad that I now go into planning hibernation until Free Dining is released, but then it's a mad dash to get airline tickets, then it's quiet again until FP+ time.

It wouldn't be a PTR if we didn't change one billion things, would it? We're now staying at CBR in two pirate rooms (enjoy sharing those full sized beds, kids!). I'm hoping we'll be able to switch to preferred rooms, but if we can't, I'm totally okay with the pirate rooms in Trinidad South. With 2 rooms, and 14 nights, that's $2100 in gift cards which should mean that WDW becomes all inclusive (tips, alcohol and souvenirs covered! Yay!), and we only need to budget for Universal. BUT! If it doesn't combine with free dining, we'll have to switch back to ASMu because it's still a better deal for the 6 of us to have FD than the $2100 in gift cards. Here's to hoping!

Yay for CBR we're staying for the gift cards too! There's no preferred rooms as far as I know the preferred room buildings are the ones being taken down during the refurb sadly. We have a standard room.

And yes! It's sad that I now go into planning hibernation until Free Dining is released, but then it's a mad dash to get airline tickets, then it's quiet again until FP+ time.

We already grabbed our airline tickets for Sep so it's just waiting till discounts and Fp and until they release Mnsshp and HHN tickets.

My name is Sarah (obvs), I'm 38, a Realtor, a mom, and I was elected to our city council last fall (in a super contentious election). I love comic books, the musical Hamilton, wine, hosting parties, board games (we have over 200 now I think), and I frequently speak on panels at geeky conventions (comicons, board game conventions, etc).

Oooohhh!! Another Sara(h) AND a Hamilton fan? Sweet. (The husband and I went to Chicago to see it in January and he ended up being sick and asleep in the hotel room while I found my ONE friend who lives in Chicago to see the show with me. It was amazing!)

Anyway, I can't wait to read all of your plans since we're likely not going back as a family before May/June 2018. Although I AM trying to convince my husband that he wants to go for our 15th anniversary on a kid-free trip to Food & Wine.

Oooohhh!! Another Sara(h) AND a Hamilton fan? Sweet. (The husband and I went to Chicago to see it in January and he ended up being sick and asleep in the hotel room while I found my ONE friend who lives in Chicago to see the show with me. It was amazing!)

Anyway, I can't wait to read all of your plans since we're likely not going back as a family before May/June 2018. Although I AM trying to convince my husband that he wants to go for our 15th anniversary on a kid-free trip to Food & Wine.

I will DIE when Hamilton comes to Portland next year. One of my BFFs has season passes to the theater and she promised she would take me with her. SWOON! I'm basically obsessed.

Speaking of obsessed, I want free dining to be released so I can move on with my life. Thinking about trying to get it is giving me anxiety because we don't have as many options as other people since we have such a big family. Booking 2 rooms only pencils out in a couple of cases, but 6 of us (2 adults, 3 teenagers, and one kid) in a single room - even a suite - stresses me out too. I'm ready to just book our flights, and sip on a bottle of wine until it's FastPass time.

Yay for CBR we're staying for the gift cards too! There's no preferred rooms as far as I know the preferred room buildings are the ones being taken down during the refurb sadly. We have a standard room.

We already grabbed our airline tickets for Sep so it's just waiting till discounts and Fp and until they release Mnsshp and HHN tickets.

Oh! I did not know that. I guess I'd take any room over a pirate room. I don't mind the walk, I'm more worried about the complaining that will ensue when teenagers have to share a full sized bed. If they were queens, I wouldn't even fret - I think the rooms are cute and the walk doesn't bother me.

I totally forgot about HHN! Chris would LOVE to go but we don't think our youngest two would handle it well. Now we have to switch the Friday with HHN to Volcano Bay and the Volcano Bay day back to IoA/USO. So much planning.

I will DIE when Hamilton comes to Portland next year. One of my BFFs has season passes to the theater and she promised she would take me with her. SWOON! I'm basically obsessed.

We're in Columbus, so it's going to be at least 2 or 3 years before we get it because it's in Cleveland next year and Cincinnati the year after. But Chicago is pretty much one of my very favorite cities, so it wasn't exactly a hardship to travel there to see an AMAZING cast. (Seriously... we got to see Wayne Brady as Aaron Burr and Karen Olivo as Angelica and, while I know this is probably sacrilege, I think Miguel Cervantes might be a better Hamilton than Lin-Manuel Miranda.) The only thing that hampered my enjoyment was that my husband was missing it because he was so sick. I offered to try and get tickets for another show in Chicago, but he wasn't having any of it. So we'll just wait until it comes to town. They announce our next season on Thursday, so maybe we'll get lucky. (Or at least get Waitress or Something Rotten! in the meantime.)

Speaking of obsessed, I want free dining to be released so I can move on with my life. Thinking about trying to get it is giving me anxiety because we don't have as many options as other people since we have such a big family. Booking 2 rooms only pencils out in a couple of cases, but 6 of us (2 adults, 3 teenagers, and one kid) in a single room - even a suite - stresses me out too. I'm ready to just book our flights, and sip on a bottle of wine until it's FastPass time.

Our first family trip was originally going to be during the twins' fall break from school in 2015 so I know all about the free dining stress. We're fortunate because we are only 4 people so we were able to get a Royal Room at POR with free dining. I had all our ADRs and all of our fastpasses and then I had to have major surgery so I dropped everything and we rescheduled for the first week in February in 2016. Other than the fact that we had to pay for food (because no free dining), it probably worked out better for us because I snagged a really good deal on a room at AKL (we paid for standard, but we could see giraffes from our balcony, so either we got some pixie dust or the standard rooms there are AMAZING!) and it was less hot and there were fewer people. I'm still sad we missed MNSSHP, though.

Oh! I did not know that. I guess I'd take any room over a pirate room. I don't mind the walk, I'm more worried about the complaining that will ensue when teenagers have to share a full sized bed. If they were queens, I wouldn't even fret - I think the rooms are cute and the walk doesn't bother me.

You'll be the farthest from the construction at least! Maybe if you keep looking something will come up.

I totally forgot about HHN! Chris would LOVE to go but we don't think our youngest two would handle it well. Now we have to switch the Friday with HHN to Volcano Bay and the Volcano Bay day back to IoA/USO. So much planning.

It is awesome! But not for kids. That's actually our plans too so we'll probably be in the same parks on the same day :laughing: I don't want to do too much walking around the parks before HHN so we'll probably do VB on that day and USO/IOA the day before.

Joining in to read all about your upcoming trip!!

It almost seems to be a requirement to change at least one planned ADR. I know we change ours sometimes while we're there. :thumbsup2

Whispering Canyon Cafe
Boma
Sci-Fi Dine in
San Angel Inn (Lunch)
Biergarten
Skipper Canteen
Spirit of Aloha
T-Rex
O'Hana
Teppan Edo
Be Our Guest
Le Cellier

Love you're ADRs!! A lot of those are on our list too! If you do a TR I'll be very interested in hearing your thoughts on Skipper Canteen and Spirit of Aloha.

We're also staying at CBR (in July). We thought about switching when they announced the main building was closed, but we were among the few who got a room discount and the gift cards which was just too good to pass up. I hope you find out soon about free dinning!!

Can't wait to hear more about your plans!

Oooh, your trip sounds like fun!! Joining in :) We're going just a bit before you in August and I'm not looking forward to Florida summer heat. Gah! I loved Teppan Edo when we went for our first time on our last trip! I got the cut NY strip, and DFi got the nicer cut of steak (what is it? Maybe a filet? Not sure. We were on the dining plan so we didn't worry about price! :P) But everyone at our table seemed to like what they had and between them all they covered most of the menu. And T-Rex is a lot of fun (we thought the food was fine, and the dinosaurs/atmosphere are super!)

We're in Columbus, so it's going to be at least 2 or 3 years before we get it because it's in Cleveland next year and Cincinnati the year after. But Chicago is pretty much one of my very favorite cities, so it wasn't exactly a hardship to travel there to see an AMAZING cast. (Seriously... we got to see Wayne Brady as Aaron Burr and Karen Olivo as Angelica and, while I know this is probably sacrilege, I think Miguel Cervantes might be a better Hamilton than Lin-Manuel Miranda.) The only thing that hampered my enjoyment was that my husband was missing it because he was so sick. I offered to try and get tickets for another show in Chicago, but he wasn't having any of it. So we'll just wait until it comes to town. They announce our next season on Thursday, so maybe we'll get lucky. (Or at least get Waitress or Something Rotten! in the meantime.)

I love Lin Manuel-Miranda, but he wasn't the strongest performer in the cast. It doesn't surprise me that Miguel Cervantes was better! I finally have a full bootleg copy of the original cast, (Shhhh!) and I'm going to watch it tonight. I never download bootlegs, but a friend gave this to me and it's Hamilton. So. I'll be bad just this once.

You'll be the farthest from the construction at least! Maybe if you keep looking something will come up.

I'm sure something will come up. I redid my math and it's not a huge savings like I first thought so if we have to go back to a suite at ASMu or two rooms at Pop!, I'll be fine. It would be nice to stay at CBR, though! I've never stayed there before! (Nor have I stayed at Pop!, but I stayed at ASMovies once so I feel like I ha the All-Star experience.

Joining in to read all about your upcoming trip!!

It almost seems to be a requirement to change at least one planned ADR. I know we change ours sometimes while we're there. :thumbsup2

Oh man, and we changed them AGAIN last night. It's never ending.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter