The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

stopher1

DIS Veteran
WELCOME! to The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

Special thanks goes to The River's Rats for starting the original thread, and extra thanks go out to all of the special DIS people who shared, posted pictures and participated in that first thread running from before the resort opened through it's first full year of operation and then some. We simply outgrew that first thread since the page count nearly met the maximum allowed, so welcome to version 2!! :cool1: Even though it's closed and you can no longer post to it, I've included a link to the original thread in post #3.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

You are about to enter an online realm where we are able to discuss, share and enjoy together the unique and wonderful splendor of the first West Coast DVC resort, The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa, first opened September 23, 2009.
GrandCal3.jpg
VGCGrandOpeningPin.jpg
VGCLogofortheDIS2.jpg

This beautiful addition to the DVC family of resorts was added-on to the lovely Craftsman-inspired hotel, built upon the former Disneyland parking lot when the expansion to Disneyland went full throttle - brining about both Downtown Disney and the 2nd gate, Disney's California Adventure park - forever changing Walt's ORIGINAL theme park from being Disneyland to "The Disneyland Resort" and a true multi-day destination. The Grand Californian was the first Disney designed-hotel on property - since the original Disneyland Hotel was not built by Disney...in fact it wasn't even owned by Disney until 1988 when The Walt Disney Company purchased it from the Wrather Corporation (Walt originally asked his friend Jack Wrather to build and operate a hotel across the street from his Magic Kingdom and further licensed the use of the Disneyland name to Jack Wrather). The Paradise Pier hotel, built and operated under a different name, was not purchased by TWDC until the mid-1990's, and then re-branded as the PP Hotel when DCA was about to open in 2001. The original Grand Californian designer was Peter Dominick, the same architect who designed both the Wilderness Lodge and the Animal Kindgom Lodge at Walt Disney World... you can certainly feel the influence of both of our sister lodges in the lobby of the Grand Californian (though I will say that personally I think that the Grand is the most elegant and cozy of all three of the Dominick hotels - and I have points at AKV and the WL is my favorite resort at WDW... so it's not just a bit of bias coming out - LOL - I just truly feel that in this case, the third time really was the charm!)

VGC as it is commonly referred to here on the DIS is home to 48 villas, and officially became "sold out" in October, 2010. Of course there will always be the possibility of points available on the resale market, but for now, "our" home is no longer available.

As owners, many of us became the "first" to buy, becoming Founding Members, while others waited and purchased later on. No matter if you were the first or even the last to buy your points and be able to call VGC "home" - whether it was your initial purchase into the DVC system, or VGC is just one of multiple resorts you call "home" - welcome to the 2nd version of our thread. We're happy you've stopped by.

Whether you've joined us by stepping through the resort's front door... or you're a "back door" guest coming in from Downtown Disney...

PC050103.jpg
PC050006-1.jpg

...here you can find out information about our beloved VGC; get your questions answered; share photos and upcoming trip information; review your stays; or just shoot the breeze... no matter, you're welcome here, and you'll find that the people that make up this thread are friendly, happy to help, and very glad you've stopped by. In post #2 you'll find a calendar of upcoming stays of some of our fellow owners and maybe even some non-owners too. In post # 3 you'll find a variety of links to other threads related to the Grand Californian, Disneyland or DCA, transportation options, reservation information, etc, that you might find helpful in researching or planning your own upcoming stay.

Your room might be amongst the 73% of the villas that look out onto the neighboring DCA with a "theme park view"... or it might look out over the pools...

PC030046.jpg
PC050119.jpg

Many of them will provide amazing views of the all-new World of Color spectacular...

WorldOfColor-1-600x337.jpg

There are only 2 Grand Villas at VGC. They are two-story units, and both have a pool table for your added enjoyment - 1 is theme park view, the other isn't. Both will amaze you!

The lobby of the hotel is spectacular... the fireplace is very cozy & inviting...

PC030003.jpg
PC050021.jpg

...and the elevator lobby to the villas wing is just a short covered walk away from the main resort lobby...

PC050025.jpg

In the evenings you might enjoy a beverage with friends at the Hearthstone Lounge, or a meal at Storyteller's Cafe or Napa Rose; You might simply relax in the overstuffed chairs listening to the pianist play, or during the holiday season, the carolers come around and serenade guests with lively tunes to get you into the spirit of the season. And of course, like all Disney parks and resorts, the Grand Californian goes out all decking its' halls making the season bright.
PC050270.jpg
PC050016.jpg

Compared to most Disney resorts, the grounds of the Grand Californian are small, but very lovely... and the amenities plentiful...

PC050054.jpg
PC050058.jpg

...including those plush poolside cabanas... and the fun pool slide...

PC050033.jpg
PC050048.jpg

...and an outdoor fireplace & wedding lawn too!

PC050026.jpg

One of the best parts of the resort though has to be its' proximity to both theme parks, and its' own private entrance directly in to Disney California Adventure ... just steps away from both Soaring Over California , Grizzly River Run...and soon, the all-new Little Mermaid attraction coming to Paradise Pier. I would say that unless Disney builds another DVC resort INSIDE a theme park in the future - there will never be another resort CLOSER to a theme park than VGC - with its' views and entrance both directly into DCA.
PB300008.jpg

WELCOME! We're very happy you're here... :)

Various links to other Grand Californian related threads

The ORIGINAL Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owner's Group Thread (closed on November 7, 2010 due to thread length)

Here are some links from the original thread regarding specific information about VGC

Floorplan Maps of VGC - thanks to nonsuch!
Floorplan & Maps of the Entire Grand Californian, including the DVC Wing - from the GCH Superthread, including nonsuch's contribution of the villas map

Here are a few other links to threads that you might find interesting and valuable as you consider your stay at VGC - especially if you have never been to Disneyland before!

A Disneyland Resort Guide for WDW Vets
Important Phone Numbers for Dining, Reservations, etc
Maps of Southern California, Aerial Photographs of the Disneyland Resort & Airport / Transportation Information links
Common Disneyland Resort Abbreviations (and some others too...)
Disneyland Resort Fastpass & Single Rider information
Disneyland Resort Planning information here on The DIS

Disneyland: Fantasmic viewing information (for the WDW vets... it IS different in many ways on the west coast)
Disney California Adventure: World of Color viewing information Superthread - this goes back to August 2010... lots of great info

Grand Californian Hotel & Spa (non-DVC) Superthread - lots of info, photos and more about the hotel portion of the resort

General Grocery Information
Grocery Delivery
Specific Equipment found inside the rooms (1BR and larger)

Here are a few links that are NOT Grand Californian related, but rather related to all of our sister resorts within the greater DVC family, just for fun, but also in case anyone has specific questions about another resort, all of the DVC resort threads are in one place here...

Animal Kingdom Lodge: ***Official AKV Owners and Lovers Thread***
Aulani, Resort & Spa: Aulani Owners Thread - Aloha!
Bay Lake Tower: ***Bay Lake Tower Owner's Thread***
Beach Club Villas: "STORMIN THE BEACH" BCV Owners - and GROUPIES WELCOME HOME!
Boardwalk Villas: The I Love BWV (yes, Hallways and Clown Pool, too!)
Hilton Head: HHI Roll Call, Adoration & Information Thread 2010
Old Key West: OKW Lovers Thread !!!
Saratoga Springs: SSR Lovers & Owners Part 2
Vero Beach: Vero Beach Adoration 2010 Thread... We Need New 2011 Thread...Somebody?
Wilderness Lodge: VWL Lovers & Groupies Thread: It All Started with a Moose!

Joining the new thread. Not a VGC owner..yet, but definitely a fan and a fellow DVCer!

Beautiful new thread stopher! Nice work. We are soooooo anxious to finally use our points in May. We are taking my in-laws, and we can't wait to see their faces when they walk in that lobby! :goodvibes

Beautiful new thread stopher! Nice work. We are soooooo anxious to finally use our points in May. We are taking my in-laws, and we can't wait to see their faces when they walk in that lobby! :goodvibes

Oh thanks Disney Princess! The new thread just feels so spacious - just like the grand lobby at the resort! ;)

Whee! Nice job. enjoying our new thread home :)

Great job Stopher1 :thumbsup2

I knew that you would "do it right"! I need to go find some of my pics on photobucket and post them here!

Great job! I'll send you our upcoming dates. Your pictures made me look forward to our December visit!

Nice start for the new thread Christopher! :cheer2: You are the thread master extraordinaire!! :worship:

Does this mean the old thread is gone forever?

Nope - but you can no longer post to it and it will move down a little more every day. A search should bring it up if you need to find some information. Or maybe Stopher placed a link in this thread? I didn't look for that.

Nice start for the new thread Christopher! :cheer2: You are the thread master extraordinaire!! :worship:

Nope - but you can no longer post to it and it will move down a little more every day. A search should bring it up if you need to find some information. Or maybe Stopher placed a link in this thread? I didn't look for that.

Not yet - but that's on my "list" still...

Your magical stay here begins by walking through these doors.

IMG_3113.jpg

And you'll check in here

IMG_3114.jpg

The lobby will leave you in awe

IMG_2802.jpg

You might stay in a studio

IMG_2806.jpg

IMG_2805.jpg

IMG_2808.jpg

Or you might be in a larger unit

IMG_4202.jpg

IMG_4203.jpg

IMG_3647.jpg

IMG_3651.jpg

IMG_3657.jpg

IMG_3658.jpg

IMG_4207.jpg

You might have a view like this from your room

IMG_4219.jpg

IMG_3747.jpg

IMG_2923.jpg

You might dine here

NapaRoseCookingSchool052-1.jpg

Photo0002.jpg

Photo0005.jpg

And be served by this man

Photo0036.jpg

IMG_2095-1.jpg

IMG_2098-1.jpg

Hope that makes everyone homesick and look forward to returning!

Great intro with great pictures and descriptions, Christopher. You do VGC proud.

Awesome pictures, Alison. They make me homesick and I was just there in a one bedroom last week!

Look forward to this thread and all it will contain.

Wonderful job Christopher and Alison!:goodvibes

I love my DVC, too.
I just bought another 100 points (resale from the sponsor of this board). It should close just before Christmas. So now I can book more one bedroom stays because we got spoiled by the bigger units!

Excited for our weekend in Dec to enjoy all the holiday offerings. And the Grand is decked out so beautiful. :lovestruc

Thanks Stopher1 for the new thread.
All great posts so far :)
We look forward to many happy VGC days ahead!

Don't forget... if you'd like to have your upcoming visits on our Group calendar - just send me a PM with the info. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter