The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

[snip]

I'll say that as studio people (who stay in DVC studios ~30 nights a year and in 1BR or GV/Cabin/Bungalow-class 2-3 nights per year), the jump from studio to 1BR at VGC is among the most tempting to make permanent.
Welp, we're going for it. Changed our September stay to a 1BR.

We have too many VGC points for our needs (have 340, need about 240-250) and figure we can bump one or two of our stays per year up to 1BR. Beats the ultimate sin of using VGC points elsewhere, which we have done a little bit.

Two of our yearly stays are in the lowest points season of the year, during which a 1BR is only 1.82x the studio points instead of the normal ~2x, which helps. Did some forecasting and we can keep this up for 2 stays/yr for a few years, during which time we'll probably get more points anyway. Maybe even some at VDH (and then be back in the position of having slightly too many VGC points!).

Just so that I'm clear, ehh are you saying that typically the vast majority of VGC inventory sells out 11 months to the day in the booking window?

We’ve been owners at VGC for quite some time, and typically the only dates that disappear for studios right at the 11 month window are Candlelight Processional (first weekend in December), July 4th, July 17th (DL’s birthday), and of course the D23 expo. Walking of studios 100% started as soon as the DL runDisney weekend was announced, so add any rD weekend to that list/expect massive walking. If you have some flexibility, you should be fine, but the 1 bedrooms are quite lovely and are my favorite of any DVC resort. 🤩

(and then be back in the position of having slightly too many VGC points!).
What is this too many VGC points you speak of? There is no such thing :)

A question for the group - I was reading on the Disneyland thread of some who stay at Grand Cal actually prefer to park at the Pixar Pier parking garage to have covered parking instead of the open lot the Grand Cal people get to keep the car/van in the shade. Anyone try this? Is this allowed? Would our free DVC parking allow us to park there?

A question for the group - I was reading on the Disneyland thread of some who stay at Grand Cal actually prefer to park at the Pixar Pier parking garage to have covered parking instead of the open lot the Grand Cal people get to keep the car/van in the shade. Anyone try this? Is this allowed? Would our free DVC parking allow us to park there?
I don't see why you couldn't just do it. At worst ask the CM at the booth.

GC parking is often pretty slim so anything to free up spots in that lot would probably be welcome.

I don't see why you couldn't just do it. At worst ask the CM at the booth.

GC parking is often pretty slim so anything to free up spots in that lot would probably be welcome.

When I was there recently and the lot was full, I was advised to park in the structure so I think that is allowed.

Just finished my first stay as a DVC member at VGC (my home resort). We were so lucky to get a high floor and theme park view. I was so nervous because I want more points but knew my husband needed to be on board. He’s definitely on board after our trip. That new entrance was even better than the original entrance. My only complaint is that the trash wasn’t taken out as we had ordered room service and still had the trays and plates in our room taking up space. I’m a newbie so I didn’t know what to expect. I did see other members leaving trash outside their door but didn’t think it was proper etiquette. Overall, great trip and I can’t wait to return in May and possibly June 😁

Just finished my first stay as a DVC member at VGC (my home resort). We were so lucky to get a high floor and theme park view. I was so nervous because I want more points but knew my husband needed to be on board. He’s definitely on board after our trip. That new entrance was even better than the original entrance. My only complaint is that the trash wasn’t taken out as we had ordered room service and still had the trays and plates in our room taking up space. I’m a newbie so I didn’t know what to expect. I did see other members leaving trash outside their door but didn’t think it was proper etiquette. Overall, great trip and I can’t wait to return in May and possibly June 😁
Trash is located inside on the first floor next to vending machines / laundry (just inside from the BBQs). Easy enough to chuck it on your way out to the parks. So happy you had such a primo room your first time! So you must have been in 6500, 6502 or 6504. Love! The view is ok on floor 4 but better on 5 & 6. I wish they would trim the trees... :-).

At the grand cal. Do they let you get alcoholic beverages to go at the Hearthstone Loung and let you hang out in the lobby or by the fire. You can Jambo House. I’m not sure if rules are more strict in California though.

Trash is located inside on the first floor next to vending machines / laundry (just inside from the BBQs). Easy enough to chuck it on your way out to the parks. So happy you had such a primo room your first time! So you must have been in 6500, 6502 or 6504. Love! The view is ok on floor 4 but better on 5 & 6. I wish they would trim the trees... :-).
We were on the fifth floor. Wished it was the 6th 😁 Thanks for the info now I know for next time.

At the grand cal. Do they let you get alcoholic beverages to go at the Hearthstone Loung and let you hang out in the lobby or by the fire. You can Jambo House. I’m not sure if rules are more strict in California though.

Yes, they do! Generally at hotels in California one can take a beverage anywhere on property. 8-)

What is this too many VGC points you speak of? There is no such thing :)

Hi - re parking at Paradise Pier structure, pls be aware that there are no elevators in that structure. It is NOT fun having to drag suitcases & etc down from the upper floors, or the roof parking when the entire structure lower floors are full.

Hi - re parking at Paradise Pier structure, pls be aware that there are no elevators in that structure. It is NOT fun having to drag suitcases & etc down from the upper floors, or the roof parking when the entire structure lower floors are full.
There is temporary parking right near the Grand Cali porte cochere. You just need to ask the attendants about permission to use it for checking in. Alternatively, you can let bell services load up your bags and hold it for taking up to your room later while you park and skip temp parking.

Reactions: ehh
I am going to get a VGC points transfer. My only concern is that I won't be able to book at 8AMest on the computer at 11 months and will need to call.

Will that hour lag at 11 months out screw me over if I am trying to book a studio?

Basically how is studio availability in June at 11 months out if I have an hour delay.

I am going to get a VGC points transfer. My only concern is that I won't be able to book at 8AMest on the computer at 11 months and will need to call.

Will that hour lag at 11 months out screw me over if I am trying to book a studio?

Basically how is studio availability in June at 11 months out if I have an hour delay.
That would probably be fine.

June is pretty popular before the point values increase, but I think you should be ok. Definitely no guarantees though 🥴

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter