The UnDisney family's unintended grand(ish) slam trek to Alaska - July 27-Aug 3, 2015

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.

Regarding the private table- you can call DCL and request it (no guarantee, of course) and then you can check when you board (it's in the Navigator where to go) to check and/or beg/offer up sacrifices to see if the request was granted.

As for the coffee... well, I think there is a coffee hierarchy... lowest of the low is what is served at the self-serve stations. UGH. You get a bit of a step up in the dining rooms and at room service. That's it for your free/included coffee. However, if you are a coffee afficionado/snob (us), the best is in the Cove Café, and we happily pay for it. The other issue for us in room service is that if you want to pre-order, you have to guess when you will be awake, and risk either being up without coffee (ick) or having them wake you up when you are actually asleep (also ick). Neither option is attractive to us on days we do not have to be up at a particular time. However, if you do not mind a wait - yes, you could order when you wake up.

Oh, and most people tip room service- it is still cheaper than the Cove Café, but probably not technically free. :)

Thanks again for reading. This was a great trip.
I looked real hard for a pre trip report for your 2017 Star Wars cruise. Have you started one yet.

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.

Regarding the private table- you can call DCL and request it (no guarantee, of course) and then you can check when you board (it's in the Navigator where to go) to check and/or beg/offer up sacrifices to see if the request was granted.

As for the coffee... well, I think there is a coffee hierarchy... lowest of the low is what is served at the self-serve stations. UGH. You get a bit of a step up in the dining rooms and at room service. That's it for your free/included coffee. However, if you are a coffee afficionado/snob (us), the best is in the Cove Café, and we happily pay for it. The other issue for us in room service is that if you want to pre-order, you have to guess when you will be awake, and risk either being up without coffee (ick) or having them wake you up when you are actually asleep (also ick). Neither option is attractive to us on days we do not have to be up at a particular time. However, if you do not mind a wait - yes, you could order when you wake up.

Oh, and most people tip room service- it is still cheaper than the Cove Café, but probably not technically free. :)

Thanks again for reading. This was a great trip.
Just now finished binge reading your Alaska cruise trip report, and I enjoyed it so much. I had read your Fantasy TR just before I went on the Fantasy in 2013, and it was so helpful and entertaining at the same time.
Like I said in the post above, I am looking forward to your future TR for your Star Wars at Sea cruise. Just one quick question about port or starboard cabin position for the Alaska Cruise. Which side affords the best views?

What a wonderfully funny, detailed, ever-so-helpful trip report. I couldn't possibly comment on everything that I found to be of note, but I HAD to look up the alcohol hideaway apparatus on Amazon (even though I don't really drink) -hilarious. And yes, jetlag is the worst. Flying back to the US West Coast after visiting my family in France makes me want to never go again -every time.

I can't wait for my Alaskan cruise this August. Thanks again for your delightful writing.

I am now reading your other trip reports, even though I doubt we'd ever go on those cruises, just for the fun of the experience.

Thank you so much for this report! We are sailing on September 4th and I loved reading about your experience. We have a 1 and 4 year old so i'm very nervous about the time change. Your strategy was something I will definitely look into! We are coming in from Atlanta so i think it's the same difference (4 hours?)

Can't wait to hear more on your next thread! you are a wonderful writer!

Oh dear - I've been off the board since, well, we got onboard the Fantasy back in January. I had no idea I had replies! Just getting around to the latest report now.

I looked real hard for a pre trip report for your 2017 Star Wars cruise. Have you started one yet.

Well, I started it in Word, but didn't get it here. I'm going to see about getting it off of my Word ramblings and onto the boards once I get up the energy to fight with PhotoBucket. :)

Just now finished binge reading your Alaska cruise trip report, and I enjoyed it so much. I had read your Fantasy TR just before I went on the Fantasy in 2013, and it was so helpful and entertaining at the same time.
Like I said in the post above, I am looking forward to your future TR for your Star Wars at Sea cruise. Just one quick question about port or starboard cabin position for the Alaska Cruise. Which side affords the best views?

Thanks! It really doesn't matter which side, because you go through fairly narrow (not scary) canals, so to speak, so the views are awesome regardless (and you'll catch what you missed on the way back to Vancouver).

What a wonderfully funny, detailed, ever-so-helpful trip report. I couldn't possibly comment on everything that I found to be of note, but I HAD to look up the alcohol hideaway apparatus on Amazon (even though I don't really drink) -hilarious. And yes, jetlag is the worst. Flying back to the US West Coast after visiting my family in France makes me want to never go again -every time.

I can't wait for my Alaskan cruise this August. Thanks again for your delightful writing.

I am now reading your other trip reports, even though I doubt we'd ever go on those cruises, just for the fun of the experience.

Thanks! I didn't think we'd be on this many cruises, but, well, what do I know? :)

Thank you so much for this report! We are sailing on September 4th and I loved reading about your experience. We have a 1 and 4 year old so i'm very nervous about the time change. Your strategy was something I will definitely look into! We are coming in from Atlanta so i think it's the same difference (4 hours?)

Can't wait to hear more on your next thread! you are a wonderful writer!

In some ways, the time change was less of a problem when the kiddo was younger- he didn't really know/care. It was harder on us ... this time it was awful to watch him, but we'll know what to look for in future and we'll plan a bit better. It was certainly worth it though. I think you do have the same time change as us. Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter