The two cabins I was looking at has went up about $16 total and that is great!!!!

SL6827

DIS Veteran
Why would I be glad that the price jumped just a bit, because that would put me at $5 over to qualify for an additional $50 OBC. I will be putting in my request tomorrow t since I see the price is continuing to head North.

Just be careful. You might get a refund of the port fees before your trip for about that much and you'll be back where you started.

Just be careful. You might get a refund of the port fees before your trip for about that much and you'll be back where you started.
Oh, law, I didn't think about that. Great point. How often does that happen and why?

I've been on two cruises and both had it happen. We used Costco last time and it actually brought my cash back down by $40 for each room. This year, my third cruise, we just got back $13.97 for port fees. I believe my other two were in that range, too, but I'd have to look to be sure.

I've been on two cruises and both had it happen. We used Costco last time and it actually brought my cash back down by $40 for each room. This year, my third cruise, we just got back $13.97 for port fees. I believe my other two were in that range, too, but I'd have to look to be sure.
Do you know what triggered that? What ports were you refunded for?

I don't know. We're on a western this time, but the last two times it was an Eastern. The 2018 one I thought might have been because we changed Tortola to St. Maarten, which was a $12.48 refund. This time, I guess they just overcharged a little. It happens.... I think, often.

5 DCL cruises, and I'm pretty sure we've had port fee refunds on all of them. I think it's more of the rule than an exception, unless you book later after port fees have been finalized.

Do you know what triggered that? What ports were you refunded for?
You can’t know what exact fees are being refunded, but in 11 cruises, I’ve had a refund around 8 or 9 times around PIF date. I think our two European cruises did not produce a refund. Since DCL books the port slots years in advance, they overestimate the costs to make sure not to lose money when it’s finally time to sail. They charge them to the guests then refund them once they know the real port fees. On one of their first cruise, they were charged more fees than anticipated and wrote to all the guests that they needed to shell out more money. That did not go over well and they reconsidered. I think they created the current process because of that incident.

Is your OBC based on the total cost of the cruise, including fees and taxes ? I know some agencies base it on only the actual cruise fare since their remuneration is based on price before taxes and fees.

Last edited:
Is you OBC based on the total cost of the cruise, including fees and taxes ? I know some agencies base it on only the actual cruise fare since their remuneration is based on price before taxes and fees.

Definitely check on that - our OBC for our cruise was based only on cruise fare, excluding taxes & fees (also - for us - only on the first two passengers. It wasn't a big deal b/c our kiddo's fare wouldn't have kicked us up into the next bracket, but a thing to pay attention to just in case).

Ok, then if it is not based on fees and taxes then I might need to consider that. I am soooooooo glad I mentioned this. It has been like nine years since I last cruised Disney so it still is somewhat "new" to me, lol.

Well the taxes and port fees do come into play with the OBC, but the possibility of some of the port fees getting refunded would bring me down to right below the 6,000 threshold and that will just suck. I am going to inquire about this more with the TA and see if there is anything really I could do to change something with any financial gain just reverting back because of a higher price. So glad you guys informed me of such.

Well the taxes and port fees do come into play with the OBC, but the possibility of some of the port fees getting refunded would bring me down to right below the 6,000 threshold and that will just suck. I am going to inquire about this more with the TA and see if there is anything really I could do to change something with any financial gain just reverting back because of a higher price. So glad you guys informed me of such.
Did you prepay your tips ? That could give you a cost bump for something you would pay later anyway. You could also roll in the cost of the cruise a pre-cruise hotel.

Did you prepay your tips ? That could give you a cost bump for something you would pay later anyway. You could also roll in the cost of the cruise a pre-cruise hotel.
Prepaid tips are not counted towards such. I will probably go ahead and do so regardless but it won't help with the OBC. But thanks anyway!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter