The Trip Where Nothing Really Bad Happened - The End 6/1, Bonus Features: Disney 100 Celebration, Mickey Minnie Runaway Railway queue 2/8

F&W Weekend March 18-21

Sunday Afternoon

If you remember, we had just watched Jill's nephew's band march at Disneyland and we headed over to DCA to enjoy some noshes from the F&W booths.

Our first booth was Garlic Kissed.

We wanted the Grilled Top Sirloin, Carbonara Garlic Mac n Cheese, and the Rosemary Bitter Orange Mule.

Once we placed our order, we realized that we had to get in this line for pickup.

And by the time we got to the front of the line, they were out of the Top Sirloin, so we got in yet another line for a refund. At least the two items we did get were good.

The next booth we went to was I (Heart) Artichokes.

The only thing I really wanted was the Passion Fruit Rum Cocktail. Jill really wanted the Chicharron-crusted Fried Artichoke Dip and Fran was willing to try, but only Fran wanted the Artichoke Toast with Olive Tapenade. So of course we got all three. I didn't care much for the Artichoke Dip, Jill and Fran liked it. Fran seemed to like her toast with olive tapenade. She finished it by herself because neither Jill or I wanted any. I polished off the adult beverage.

We stopped at the Cluck a Doodle Moo booth, but they were out of their Chicken Wings and their Grilled Beef Tenderloin Slider with Chimichurri Sauce so we passed on that booth.

We decided that we might as well go for dessert, so we went to the Berry Patch.

We got the Strawberry Cheesecake and Blue-berry Buttermilk Pie. They were both super delicious!

Then we did these combined booths, Uncork California and Nuts about Cheese.

We got the Snickers Caramel-Peanut Milk Chocolate Mickey Macaron from Nuts about Cheese.

And the Chocolate Hazelnut Crunch and Mimosa Flight from Uncork California.

This Mickey Macaron was super good, but super rich. Fran and I took about half of it home and split it for dessert the next night.

I think I liked the Green Apple and Lychee one the best. The others tasted them all, but I think I finished them all off in the end.

This tasted like a giant Ferraro Roche. I’m not a fan of Hazelnut, so I didn’t eat much of it. We took most of it home as well, and I’m not sure if Fran finished it.

It was too bad that the food booths were out of most of the good stuff, so we just went back to the hotel and kicked it a bit. I took my tub while the other two hit the sack.

The next morning Fran and I packed up and went home. One week later we were in the emergency room preparing her for emergency exploratory surgery. She spent the next week in the ICU, another week on the regular floor, and two more weeks in a skilled nursing facility. She’s been home about two months now. That original surgery was just enough to save her life. We are now waiting on a follow up surgery to get her all healed up and back to normal. Then we can start planning our lives again.

Thanks for reading!

Next bonus feature, I finally get a few days out at Disney, but wish Fran could have joined in!

I think I will!
Only might have trouble finding agave syrup. No idea where to even look for it. Where do you find it? Is it refrigerated? Canned? Bottled?
1656366405780.png

I get it at my grocery store, but Amazon carries it too. You might not need it. Then again you like sweeter stuff too. I could live without it, but Fran says it's not sweet enough without the syrup.

Last edited:

Our first booth was Garlic Kissed.
mmmmm... garlic...
We wanted the Grilled Top Sirloin, Carbonara Garlic Mac n Cheese, and the Rosemary Bitter Orange Mule.
::yes:: Yes... yes... and... yes!
Once we placed our order, we realized that we had to get in this line for pickup.
:sad2:
And by the time we got to the front of the line, they were out of the Top Sirloin, so we got in yet another line for a refund.
Oh, no. :(
Yeah... think I'll pass on that one.
x22DL0320FW28.jpg
Is that whole chunks of black olives?
Gonna be a nope from me if it is.
We stopped at the Cluck a Doodle Moo booth,
:laughing: I love that name.
We got the Strawberry Cheesecake and Blue-berry Buttermilk Pie. They were both super delicious!
::yes:: I'd have gotten the same.
The cocktail sounded good... right up until I got to the coconut part.
We got the Snickers Caramel-Peanut Milk Chocolate Mickey Macaron from Nuts about Cheese.
I'm surprised that no one else wanted to try the PB&J Mac. I certainly find that intriguing.
(I know you wouldn't have it.)
The crunch... I'd taste it. But the mimosa flight? ::yes::
This tasted like a giant Ferraro Roche. I’m not a fan of Hazelnut, so I didn’t eat much of it.
Yeah... kind of what I thought.
One week later we were in the emergency room preparing her for emergency exploratory surgery.
Such a contrast in experiences. Going from a high to a very low.
So happy she's on the mend.
Next bonus feature, I finally get a few days out at Disney, but wish Fran could have joined in!
:hug:

I'm looking on amazon canada right now and don't see it. Is it dark or light?
Like this:
View attachment 679771
Either one would probably be fine. I don't think it's like corn syrup or molasses where dark makes a difference. The one I get is darker but I've also purchased the lighter one when I can't find the other. It's basically a sweetener so either would be fine.

Waking up to this view never gets old!

I don't think it compares to the parking lot view at the Hyatt Place on Harbor Blvd.

We went on Soarin’ first. It was the awesome California version that they brought back for Food & Wine. Everyone in the theater cheered after the ride ended.
California version FTW!

I just love staying at the Grand!
I hope I get to do that someday!

The ground was wet when we left, and on the way back it rained on us. Not a hard rain, but stronger than a mist. Enough to get the scooters somewhat wet.
I can't imagine that's good for the scooters. Anyway, the club dinner looked very fancy!

We got the Vader scene, then we went to Hoth, and finally ended up on Coruscant.
I don't believe you. There is no Vader scene.

I loved this sign because everyone was totally pulling on it!
We're all so good at following directions!

It was good, but not quite filling enough, so we decided to get Dole Whips from the Tropical Hideaway.
Always a good decision.

:faint:
And I Do Not.

The next morning Fran and I packed up and went home. One week later we were in the emergency room preparing her for emergency exploratory surgery. She spent the next week in the ICU, another week on the regular floor, and two more weeks in a skilled nursing facility. She’s been home about two months now. That original surgery was just enough to save her life. We are now waiting on a follow up surgery to get her all healed up and back to normal. Then we can start planning our lives again.
I'm so sorry you've both had to go through this. Thankful for good news and that she appears to be getting better. Hope you can both enjoy life at Disney parks once again!

Us too!

mmmmm... garlic...
::yes:: Yes... yes... and... yes!
:sad2:
I know it all sounded good, and then we waited to get only some....
Yeah... think I'll pass on that one.
That's why the only thing I wanted there was the cocktail.
Is that whole chunks of black olives?
Gonna be a nope from me if it is.
::yes:: Yup full of black olives. 🤮
:laughing: I love that name.
And it's usually a good booth too, when they have food.
::yes:: I'd have gotten the same.
The cocktail sounded good... right up until I got to the coconut part.
Which is why we didn't get it. I was the only mostly drinking the cocktails.
I'm surprised that no one else wanted to try the PB&J Mac. I certainly find that intriguing.
(I know you wouldn't have it.)
It got horrible reviews, word on the web was that it was just gross.
The crunch... I'd taste it. But the mimosa flight? ::yes::
They're the ones who wanted the crunch....I was there for the drinks!
Yeah... kind of what I thought.
And those aren't my cup of tea.
Such a contrast in experiences. Going from a high to a very low.
So happy she's on the mend.
I'm hoping we are entering the final chapter of this nightmare of a book.

I know it all sounded good, and then we waited to get only some....
Yeah... bummer.
That's why the only thing I wanted there was the cocktail.
I get that. ::yes::
::yes:: Yup full of black olives. 🤮
So. Gross.
Which is why we didn't get it. I was the only mostly drinking the cocktails.
I know. ::yes::
It got horrible reviews, word on the web was that it was just gross.
I'm not surprised. The combination sounded really odd...
They're the ones who wanted the crunch....I was there for the drinks!
:laughing: Sure!
I'm hoping we are entering the final chapter of this nightmare of a book.
I sure hope so too. :hug:

In other news...
I did not find the agave syrup at Walmart, but Sobey's (the grocery store I shop at) did have it! I'm having that "Tastes Like Dole Whip" smoothie right now.
Holy cow is it good! :thumbsup2
Question, though. Do you put in 1/2 a banana or the whole banana, cut in two halves?

Bummer they kept running out of the food you wanted!

So sorry about Fran's medical emergency. Prayers that the healing will continue!

It has been a long time when I was on the DISboards and get to read your TR's.

Got to read part of your updates from your WDW trip. The room at Bay Lake Tower is really nice and spacious. That was fun that you were able to meet up with a lot of other people on the boards during your trip. What a fun day at EPCOT. I stll have a long way to catch up but always enjoy your TR's.

Hope Fran is doing well.

Sounds like a great line up!

Dannnggg!
Chicharron-crusted Fried Artichoke Dip
So I thought yum!! However then I thought I'd want some tortilla chips with it!

Were they soft and squishy inside?

We stopped at the Cluck a Doodle Moo booth, but they were out of their Chicken Wings and their Grilled Beef Tenderloin Slider with Chimichurri Sauce so we passed on that booth.
Out of the good stuff!

These do look delish!

Man this picture, I want it all!

I think I liked the Green Apple and Lychee one the best. The others tasted them all, but I think I finished them all off in the end.

I think I'd be wanting the green apple one first also, I'm not a huge banana person, although I do like cherry and ginger
This tasted like a giant Ferraro Roche. I’m not a fan of Hazelnut, so I didn’t eat much of it. We took most of it home as well, and I’m not sure if Fran finished it.

Heaven, I'm in heaven...I love chocolate hazelnut stuff!
Boy those were some stressful weeks :hugs:
Onwards!

I don't think it compares to the parking lot view at the Hyatt Place on Harbor Blvd.
You guys would know....
California version FTW!
I wish they would do a lottery like GotG or Star Tours where you never know which version you're going to get
I hope I get to do that someday!
Maybe when it's just you and Julie again, you can rent some points from us. We can even do a studio/1 bedroom lockoff where we hang out as much or as little as we want. I've done that with a bunch of folks and its super fun cause you get the fun of us being there, but you don't always have to hang out with us! And some free food....
I can't imagine that's good for the scooters. Anyway, the club dinner looked very fancy!
No, I think the problem from my scooter Sunday was the rain. When Fran was in the hospital I tested my scooter by driving it around our neighborhood (which has a rather steep hill) and after it dried out, it seemed to be fine.
I don't believe you. There is no Vader scene.
You STILL haven't gotten it??????
We're all so good at following directions!
Or not.
Always a good decision.
Dole whip for the win!
And I Do Not.
I do, but there was nothing at that booth I wanted to eat.
I'm so sorry you've both had to go through this. Thankful for good news and that she appears to be getting better. Hope you can both enjoy life at Disney parks once again!
Gosh I'm hoping. Right now all she feels safe doing is driving around to various stores where I do online pickup. We did go to an In-N-Out last weekend and she went inside to eat because we were with friends, but that's the extent of going out. Next week she'll go to Jenny and Michael's for dinner and that's a stretch for her.
:hug: Next time!

I'm not surprised. The combination sounded really odd...
Yeah, not my cup of tea at all.....
In other news...
I did not find the agave syrup at Walmart, but Sobey's (the grocery store I shop at) did have it! I'm having that "Tastes Like Dole Whip" smoothie right now.
Holy cow is it good! :thumbsup2
I'm glad that you found the agave syrup and that you find the smoothie to be good! I made one this morning based on a little notification that I received early on today!

I make a variety of flavors of smoothies now 3-4 times per week for breakfast. I keep Blueberries, strawberries, pineapple and Mangoes in the freezer and then mix a variety of two fruits, the yogurt, one banana (snapped in half), and the OJ and Agave. This makes two servings of smoothie for Fran and I.
Question, though. Do you put in 1/2 a banana or the whole banana, cut in two halves?
I think I answered that in the recipe above.

I'm glad that you found the agave syrup and that you find the smoothie to be good! I made one this morning based on a little notification that I received early on today!
Wonder where that notification came from?

:rolleyes:
I make a variety of flavors of smoothies now 3-4 times per week for breakfast. I keep Blueberries, strawberries, pineapple and Mangoes in the freezer and then mix a variety of two fruits, the yogurt, one banana (snapped in half), and the OJ and Agave. This makes two servings of smoothie for Fran and I.
Hmmm... might have to look into stocking more fruit... but I really do like this one.
I think I answered that in the recipe above.
::yes::

It has been a long time when I was on the DISboards and get to read your TR's.
Welcome back!
Got to read part of your updates from your WDW trip. The room at Bay Lake Tower is really nice and spacious. That was fun that you were able to meet up with a lot of other people on the boards during your trip. What a fun day at EPCOT. I stll have a long way to catch up but always enjoy your TR's.
Well it's been me that's been having a difficult time updating lately.
Hope Fran is doing well.
She's hanging in there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter