The Trip That Finally Made My Wife Haul Off And Slug Me In The Face (COMPLETED 10/2)

So, my Elvis story:

Way back in 5th grade (the dark ages), I decided to audition for the school play. We were performing Bye Bye Birdie that year, and the way auditions were handled was that each boy read for all of the male parts and each girl read for all of the female parts (no idea how they would handle that today). Anyway, eventually they had us lined up so we could audition for the part of the world-renowned singer and rock star, Conrad Birdie. The direction given to us was that we should give our best Elvis Presley impersonation for the audition. Great! That's fairly straight-forward. Except for one problem.

At the time, I had absolutely no idea who Elvis Presley was.

So, I just watched the guys auditioning in front of me. There was some singing, some dancing, some air guitar, some crooning into the microphone, and some lyrics about a "hound dog". Eventually, it got to be my turn, so I burst onto the stage, flung my arms out into the biggest air guitar I could manage, slid on my knees and belted out, "Ain't nothin' but a hound dog!"

Those were all the lyrics I had managed to learn in line, so I stopped at that point, got up and walked off the stage.

I didn't get the part.

Seems that there's this here message that I just recently ran across...

message-in-a-bottle-633134.jpg

Apparently you sent it out some time back in....
(Let's see here.... what does this say, now...?)

DECEMBER!!!!!

OF LAST YEAR!!!!!!

Yeah well, I s'pect that means I've got some catching up to do.
(and worse, that there's a lot I've missed)

Y'all just keep a goin' with the journey here and I'll see if'en I can't catch back up with ya' in the near.
Back soon...
(I hope)

message-in-a-bottle-633134-jpg.312379

DECEMBER!!!!!

OF LAST YEAR!!!!!!

Y'all just keep a goin' with the journey here and I'll see if'en I can't catch back up with ya' in the near.
Back soon...
(I hope)

Hey, it's Rob!

:welcome: back to the boards! No lie, I was actually thinking of texting you this morning just to make sure you were ok. Glad to have you back.

View attachment 312379

DECEMBER!!!!!

OF LAST YEAR!!!!!!

Back soon...
(I hope)

Wow, that's a ways back. Yep, you've got a lot of catching up to do, but it's good you're back!

Made it up to Kennesaw, so I’m about halfway caught up…
Needless to say, there’s way too much I’ve missed to properly comment as I ought.
But a couple of thing cropped up in the last bit I read that I’ll chime in on
(just cause)…

Coming Up Next: One of the greatest Civil War stories you’ve probably never heard, unless you’re into obscure Disney movies.
Willing to bet a couple brews, that I have…
(‘cause I ‘flicted that way)

That probably surpasses the knowledge of many U.S. citizens. :rolleyes1
We do a consistently poor job of teaching history in our schools…
Breaks my heart.

You, on the other hand, just by taking your youn’ens here and there have given them more knowledge (and more importantly: context) then most kids will ever have the opportunity (nor inclination) to take in.

Bravo sir.

It was fellow DIS Dad Rob (@GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes ) who reminded me of an attraction I’d had interest in visiting but had originally decided against when looking at spending the day in Atlanta. With the morning now open, it became the perfect stop along the way.

Well, Grarsh…

Take enough shots at the goal and sooner or later one will squeak on in for the point.
Too bad y’all didn’t have the time (and bucks) to stop at Tank Town though.

Oh and I know you really wanted to just get back home by then, but the stop off in Spencer, NC would have been an adventure (and Lexington after that for their rather unique take on barbeque wouldn’t have hurt none).

I"m curious, and the fam want to know. Was it coal-fired or wood? I know it's a wood car, but was that for display or ????
I tried to look it up and couldn't find it. I want to say it was wood-fired if I remember the book correctly. I think they eventually ran out of wood at the end of the chase. But it's been several years since I read it.

Wood fired.
It’s the “Stack” that gives it away.
Someone else may have already answered this, but I haven’t gotten that far in the story yet so…

Anyway…
Wood fired engines have those characteristic inverted bell shaped smoke-stacks on them; the coal/peat/oil fired variants have the much narrower and often shorter stacks. The reason…
Wood produces a lot more embers and you really don’t want to be starting fires all along your right of way, so you need to trap as many of the hot embers as possible. The bell shaped stacks have numerous layers of variously oriented grates built into them that catch the large embers and force them to drop back down into collecting pits at the bottom of the smoke-box, rather than escaping with the smoke and steam being exhausted. All those embers could also clog up a narrow pathway through the engine and chock off the fire starving it of air, so that is why it’s designed so wide to allow the gasses to expand around the embers as they’re being trapped in the grates.

Well…
You asked, so it’s your own fault.

No lie, I was actually thinking of texting you this morning just to make sure you were ok. Glad to have you back.
'Cause you're a good Joe.
I'm fine (ish). Finally got a bit of sanity back in my world.
We're past the "Holidays", and the New-Year processes at work that tend to just bury me and destroy my will are finally starting to let up a bit. But enough whining ('cause no one wants to hear that); just figured it was time to see if I could get back on the boards.

Wow, that's a ways back. Yep, you've got a lot of catching up to do, but it's good you're back!
Yes...
Yes I do.
Thanks for the welcome, and I believe I best get back to it.

Wood fired.
Someone else may have already answered this, but I haven’t gotten that far in the story yet so…

Anyway…
Wood fired engines have those characteristic inverted bell shaped smoke-stacks on them; the coal/peat/oil fired variants have the much narrower and often shorter stacks. The reason…
Wood produces a lot more embers and you really don’t want to be starting fires all along your right of way, so you need to trap as many of the hot embers as possible. The bell shaped stacks have numerous layers of variously oriented grates built into them that catch the large embers and force them to drop back down into collecting pits at the bottom of the smoke-box, rather than escaping with the smoke and steam being exhausted. All those embers could also clog up a narrow pathway through the engine and chock off the fire starving it of air, so that is why it’s designed so wide to allow the gasses to expand around the embers as they’re being trapped in the grates.

Well…

Okay, that totally makes sense! Thanks for the explanation. I was genuinely curious! The fam says thanks. :thumbsup2

Willing to bet a couple brews, that I have…
(‘cause I ‘flicted that way)

No bet. Since you alerted me to the attraction.

We do a consistently poor job of teaching history in our schools…
Breaks my heart.

You, on the other hand, just by taking your youn’ens here and there have given them more knowledge (and more importantly: context) then most kids will ever have the opportunity (nor inclination) to take in.

Bravo sir.

Thank you, sir. It's important stuff.

Well, Grarsh…

Take enough shots at the goal and sooner or later one will squeak on in for the point.
Too bad y’all didn’t have the time (and bucks) to stop at Tank Town though.

Oh and I know you really wanted to just get back home by then, but the stop off in Spencer, NC would have been an adventure (and Lexington after that for their rather unique take on barbeque wouldn’t have hurt none).

Oh man, Tank Town would have been awesome. That will have to stay on the bucket list. Would have loved to stop at the other train museum and for more bbq, but...well, you can see how many miles we put on the van.

Wood fired.

Anyway…

Well…

Thanks for clearing that up!

'Cause you're a good Joe.
I'm fine (ish). Finally got a bit of sanity back in my world.
We're past the "Holidays", and the New-Year processes at work that tend to just bury me and destroy my will are finally starting to let up a bit. But enough whining ('cause no one wants to hear that); just figured it was time to see if I could get back on the boards.

Glad to have you back. Place wasn't the same without ya.

Except if you try Lexington barbeque than by law you ALSO have to try Eastern because then you have to pick one. It's the rules.

More bbq? Fine. Twist my arm.

Okay, that totally makes sense! Thanks for the explanation. I was genuinely curious! The fam says thanks. :thumbsup2

Look at that. Rob's classing up the joint already.

More bbq? Fine. Twist my arm.

Yep. Because North Carolina couldn't decide on just one type of bbq. You have your Western/Lexington style that has a more a tomato based sauce. And Eastern style, which is vinegar based. Relationships have been founded and destroyed over a person's preference.

Yep. Because North Carolina couldn't decide on just one type of bbq. You have your Western/Lexington style that has a more a tomato based sauce. And Eastern style, which is vinegar based. Relationships have been founded and destroyed over a person's preference.

I've tried both styles. And I'll eat both, because it's BBQ. But I will probably never be a true Carolinean, because I prefer the western tomato-based style. :duck:

Chapter 9: The One Where We Almost Get Struck By Lightning and Run Out of Gas

If we had one regret about New Orleans, it’s that we didn’t get to visit the National World War II Museum. I’d heard great things about this museum and it looked like a really worthy visit when I had researched it. Unfortunately, we’d had a trial run at the National Air & Space Museum in Washington, D.C. a couple of months prior to this trip, and at that time, Drew had been terrible. He constantly ran off, forcing us to chase him all over the place, worry about losing him in the crowds, and generally keeping us from being able to see any exhibits or enjoy the museum. So we made the difficult decision not to spend the money on the WWII Museum. It would have been over his head and he would have made it miserable for the rest of us.

Instead, we set out east from New Orleans on another lengthy drive.

Along the way, as we drove through Mobile, Alabama, we spotted the USS Alabama, a U.S. Navy battleship which had originally been commissioned in 1942 and served in World War II in both the Atlantic and Pacific. I’m sure that would have been a neat tour, too. Oh well, at least we can now say we saw something in Alabama.

UpQNNt5_jWOadbg5QbKy0eCVsQA1c5IDRuO6u4fI9UJ2nRWxes6MYVIJBCMddjbgqlTSLx7arDPqWbgKsUJUL8qWBcl_mw5gINBktVxNbKkxWIGp4wqdfJDl0jhHQTwWzDqg4ziq_2OPJOW-tu9hZ5kkKi_TMtZ9zfJ2ezypdNIuYp7kyQEX7-EztwLYsEbfjMsuyzIkUnnkLV43SVEhx5pV-5HLJRi12DzPJbOpbndIzQph4flHKLF2HDFB7SKRl0l_FBtF9hQJ6FEILrvi7a8f4fAIqcl03CAwAggDAOqYJqh8JfLysbYeFhjgFpEyy9FqDlppG5btua893Ix7JVMGW7vYK7ykliI2jAlXEzH6JBApvgd6JDNqnH_rvwppPqRxSwpkPOPmi_K5qJr82EokXYfoRDZ88Gos8i9oA3AqMtwPTVA_hgladphbB5Q7QvmUM0PRRicfqWZm8nLXFbfVuLCvrLwF84vbwD2IDSZo06-EgwQC8Vt2j4l9MMfccAr-EjUk-JsFFqdfyKppeJg9NaUiyGa5dW52wDd_z92Akfwhw6vPzOpev7bGUA-u2WmrGkAKY6J_6EqL3zwCyRyQVNBfr6r5Xqr0MXJx=w1250-h834-no

1ho8-Xj1QiVS3lN-GLtBfQICcYQyBprJQtGEVJjP1QvRFJOT-CHxfvJvvIjHkWOKjkO5o-Jy1IsLwTBLXEpkjh6MBNOQZfgxmp3_cNo4MI925ZlPZ-KULBqWfuQNm_7cneyxcNPvWN4MP-in3Efn7cGgWlDGIDvsUmGXSW5vJMyaIZAW9i_gzvdLrwbtQuNGolPw1ICso-ZWOIvLM-Bh2FRnaMNtgtIOpY8wsi0yw-5WnSVQubTF0KHVAMehagiCVQ_khkoWlIQ8Kl8DIsjwMm0GYx9nsr53nMPD3-41kVaaMMuwjLKPqf8xBmb9SYQp9bwx_SC3S3Uy_IzwNu9mqDGIcxkdIJw5WkVVtXsLP-TnFnGHayNngJu-cRW5psIOMsRqSfm98RJyRhVbuAPHtP9TOGUI8ZKqVjjYF7zlZFiN5xAlNeoeiDaO-DY_7fv468AjUDtS_OSH5QHzVMYuagS1Hffx6c6cte7ymNs-3mb6SCVhNyGfpILmsl78qlwDkHUR8YufUmpqj3f6UbAHGN2llaqReMdKe-96A4b5y4gLA-GiCQjgoh2P3V2DPKuuahiCY7eBmnL1pJQEqyhD3d7Vjo7QRqRE-4o2RwWI=w1250-h834-no

A short while later, we found a familiar sight for many of you:

DaI6uAbqr1e-6frPsZpUdY8jlS_iDuE4RXX2eA7TkdS5JwJEilOlNuX4wAHgrMuzRPRNYt-iE5Int4yxeqKKY0qfNW7Cj9HHh9n10S9OyYHQ3ECgGVO6JQKHux0Zmy_eYMavx-HnojpqC4gugozCdjhAQt5g3xQCiRO5Qw9vUzhz8C2ovh4k8RvkI438oowas0Aexd5FTKfeL7UQmoo9Gz6Gq1ZasSz14NjOhGYC8FmLFNoQQDyWs1A7GnRscEWDff46r0wqb2h80CfgPSnsLuq10xgg_RApD9cPo9x5to0bBwVhWvB1V1yPnsW7rB49d-JeWRo2sfSTLlcXWBfH_QG-aTiJAtWMQrJirgX8Y8Sk7QTiJXUIhLh2jXerEWf8p9b7nfWPYQqtWINaM8w_yxEDgdqCpN14v91FvIjvNHH4OaoBsa34YDhXI1UxyK6UQv6NuYFmpHXISU13qgMg1oAePVfORenyQPuUh6P6ytqM57v0_pLKyoZ_hna2QAiOYLCLDa0PZeEFxUegYCB8B4a8gMg62boaGxClSKjHVbRSGfka1uwycMRtFvi-YDOQW2AvomzFovY_HmleaSYn2wGluie4ppUvqgyi64Fv=w1250-h834-no

We got off the interstate at the city of Pensacola, in the Florida panhandle. We made our way through the city and across a couple of bridges to the outlying Gulf Islands National Seashore.

sCkfH6AaafCSEVTWserXFY6SuX66Yew9dmy3JhURjTu2TIZDPpEFC3CecV6cWf3vh5TjHQ83QtXeIi5jLoUQm4dEXm9zU6k-PCUd5NsUyFxphQo6YtOHZYCc5AT4bICvibKcTqZx7OQsy8GENMvqSi_45K1gL8LqZbbn_TZoMLoPq9bvmMOcvd3b9o31shj9eLfKU7J_M2mOemK0bAwa0ZCsh1QAPP0hHHHF3mt3ssd9vFpf5lUsLCYvldwZZCYgSva9aDOuiwpFpkrHulj2_g2sNcoWSlaD9Eus4nJAIjMxhUgTQkgEukDH3QFDCHVncigqVQMq5X3oHpJV_EZb_OPyFjGKoa2gyD43Vmb5Haq_6BmImn-Ic1yMycNZ9CMG2ZtY96UQTfuyJRO6h88QaLXEZWttNZASmpJVSQkd5NFTxQ4vrKSz-j-ro4yD6uiwuhiLYnYITmHc9bfRwv9woYf38YmZr5Zd3mLX9MwXXhB0lvAKH4UCjvNoD3i4HE4pSNtmvoHLA7bu01kB50TMcirqALiSYPZm7CQjwAveUBNTw0RB11B0Caz8qgntB-h2DKE8Oz_H4ZuyFSMjvINxrpiZFF6rSuiw8sO-Ot0-=w1250-h834-no

My kids had never before laid eyes on the Gulf of Mexico, so I would have been remiss if I hadn’t made it to the shore at some point on this trip. I had two basic goals in stopping here: 1) get another National Park passport stamp (obviously), and 2) let the kids dip their toes in the Gulf of Mexico. With a 3-year-old along for the ride, surely the toes would be the only part we’d have to worry about getting wet.

Once you’re past the admissions gate (thanks again, annual National Parks pass!) you can park at various stops along the shoreline, or you can continue on to the remains of Fort Pickens, a U.S. army installation first constructed in 1834 as a defense for the major port of Pensacola. It remained in service until 1947. Just like ironclad gunboats, old forts are always awesome.

oXsRFeqxtdUyv1bsr69wkLcNVwm2S3_bp-paN2TYlGHkmC0Xr7D0ELFKYZ2IjdTNoRYIn7PHXkKFEyAtP2ab7xD_uu_Ehz4YEpMmbUYid5o_o9avGzst5WJEoINQL4o1XG3wpnQ677CLk-yQVniY7Jshv6qjp7fWo35pRyc0ACB8a5Odky3Z6Bo7pIbT5yoPdRZGEYgTV9hAqjDOWrucdhcgALRFb3gw7hY6QUCe1gCWjG8CRHIt6HSIHd9nJw8U_Axe1wHSh5OeZd4fKOp3pVpJtoiLEh8Ijgb1cSpQyWoBKECxl2_LPDm6i-pPzbNFk4z4rKovwd9SMgbPFbBCUDNcdKcCBKi_y5bKweWaDkvJ2efz1P5s4Vwnd3vhWfmfyPCrLB8AsWHWnzbcDOsZlXG2KbmqBWgT_iIE5rCTwI4OAdtZ5biDpsqHLIsEP5pUOcOn-KvzCK3ZltjQ7NoaPMNSJtKZ-8WqpR1ULpIy9J2u-tmFXI-xHsLUrQcNtvL-j2Wmb4Yp_k0KoFVmgxEg-SpvmWWzxSqWmj6y9TSm0xwFpTB6fycL1D65Zc4TShKdBknM_uBe4zR0tdcJvAU80VX2M3BE7J4wQ-wP0-su=w1118-h838-no

tLKxbPgJ0qzZ7MjiaKBAm4pv2hQtTLbMa6A65xSfkVz1H9wuwFcbIUA1D24EVpOHpHbig5G55KJmSWY-qBuyTKfdrGtAOcJtfA7OpQ2rHB2wm4M5eoyj1d_N5Y8XRPAneAkVkiOMj2xtxB-Cg38mlYEaW9bBKoj2NE4Dlj95OG_ECg-g4vSpj0wAx668ARkcsfAsggYj10eWA-Inx4AiPnnlhtiXY4O5BSGnG9NWM_xei8WFUlk7HrRFnFkRBKN5VWlGGDyQQ6zqNd1tV9PAJL7TRgW5STUCoxbst9nHnJerNybzBQqnwGK8fQohIdRgGZK13pf0CSs8ygKeLtmMUHSf-EA30RBRNoi8bGiEGAhJOXNEU53X00PbSdbmRTzPMsV8YU-Bv4kCToK_9nKkSAA6PVPCcLi7JPT03ArX8bUAScyWGD0FTyOU5QXO2mC4XwctkFWT-_kdufV_N4uQjnIkRZw0Wpzzv9ponDIGXerPkjBMewyjNai4iAoq7h8AS3skc2oSE0ZVwlXlFULa3VNSzFmpZqvR0AdFl0N5tj-GPUbXIMxR81i8k1OyY7kwJw1Kf0a09ngBBEJGtqp_dxc0Omdc9xE4CMOAWyRq=w1250-h834-no

Apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

5SUwWv0VEb5VJiw30dmS_7qG5cekh2kfegeMlwsTXhxfh8dA30wLJcTwNtVY-UA8QuZayEmCm-SM6oPN9rst2lqmMN0l8HP-OpS8MX-4olq8so8UeyelMDEGqeZrszONdH6KTHE6H73YVHa3sIbzOU4WxU0p1Pt400_Nb5LG46d5oco9km-_R_1gIAnvX0TNB9meMpBCWS8gWmm6qehyjMzZNa4yUKxlo4antztymWF8FeC8rjibRMrOhYRdZ-jXqBDERR_rNPCibpAVAk0htZNdILsoKtIwn_KhO5NSc9SFJYq-WEnkJt9MaJ8nPg8Xw2dm6_arOf6-lcE3ZYRjSHDzF2ItqjbIw6cAsSJh2V5aW0LrzNE2774hj8BRkMg6U0GzG5Qa4kcdwiDcr_F5nIVrNXAZ41Zcs4W_i4Wu1yQsfvT4vadXxq103jGtOXj3jNWd0r12GoMz36a11-BWJMmUBOK-9MuGyZ_8LuB7Drwfd7h1gdjJWnxgB0OPTg_-qqAFdNwkSxPlV0h6k3HOG_6qX6I6L2l-j17kyFW0gwtVW8UCKCQmiAkXVWNKa4kuq-_GVQfJstxa74dTN1RgA0EqTAD66GP2SC_gn-0G=w1250-h834-no

We barely spent any time here exploring the fort, however. There were two reasons for this. One, you can see the skies in the first photo of the fort above. We could see thunderstorms in the distance and so we were rushing to make sure we’d be able to get down to the beach before the weather turned nasty. And two, we were all wearing sandals in preparation for the beach. But as we walked the grounds of the fort, we found that when we stopped, our feet were getting completely swarmed with ants. Which was…uncomfortable. If not a little Moses-and-the-Ten-Plagues scary. So we bailed on the fort after stopping long enough for a bathroom break.

We drove a short way back down the road to a parking area near the beach. The skies were looking ominous.

ssPbMcO2UkxkDEzwPSsOTeSc8Wo6Tz3C1E_EzZJcLimouGhcQyvVHG4kMjUb1djt4yopOW4XTWML7b3sxAJkuepr0N9SH6-q6fPG_xiBDMLbbqCp9_yo2OyoVMnPsMeC-I5sMfYEFS12RuHT4UmeQTJkJ6eXypCNtyRQnUAUUg9LFXtbERGWjGWctU3OyY8UcytNI-yGHcS2jbv4F8VuQ2UOg3k0rGrf9cy9j5hA6zjr8JKd7Cm-ces808c8PL29gF1hSBPTrpa41rGMMk3HuS_fJcNLX2fvsZ4xlX53rjQ8GVlV-3rvZ9Tskx_zg8K6cPFX1iKlTBTa2XBkDeJxmYUji7qlFvxXiTsQbCz31dq7l_HdYfwADKBh1wL2PJdBzCdwiSe0_Mv5kIpuKAjuB2FCeY7fgimGIH0mYFZmsGCTFiTWkp33peoP_8qzwxAfHuBelG389nG_xIOGwt9KKcS3WGCwUSV2uiDcMFx91vCMke-UscSRfs0tquCtTTCzwlWft2iBiYZalEKsHVOOJsJCH3AbS69bGn8asTU1v7KepM0v6cqcDXKam58JyAafod0I1rF-lMijG9_igqpIZ2lKzAF34xetq3RdK-tb=w1250-h834-no

But the beach is absolutely gorgeous. Pristine white sand, dunes, and warm, clear green-blue water in the Gulf. And, since it’s National Park land, no houses or development other than a couple of restrooms and lifeguard huts.

xdd_z1JYCjyyNF7fmU2AWx3BGCK0Z6CLmSkWPUrpNtNditO5gp0Ljf4xqFhH2tcq3Yoei91n-rjnot6SWqjUYu1INAxiCi9RnZvBMiYKGT6pSt-ZNCX-dd1pjvH9rlYCIY2SeDxFhKmnqDJLeXJ-8e22ig_CG-h7qVQ2C3qUNojr_f4o44QOugCzw4ySGCkW93P3fx9Z-mNa9T2TKpFTFVY-k7QSADPMV0OQgXnXFufMfarSHd4MlYrgdrBhiyXPfHY3rtpMuJf9dOABbkx8UDwOKoNkEhGrEhuKceiaILYSAsWSJw-HQ6lsTfgHFQ5EYMFKIwJsF93vUGCDVh_efRUGiVWVC4psZu1a7sRqd6sqvhoKsqeE4746X1_B834zD4bh-3WFjeg-IFWlYgFaciWbLrs-uDWxbJxMwszlDhF_gFff15F_hDuJcMDnJ2d2weDmOWqQ4Yv0TRp5UtfxTkz690aQO4RejfanuTQ57Y-dJaScZBcCGr69xyBCaui3w5rkMTue9NwxRG6qSiiKucvutX2aWET5nOmJv9IkMkOi9xxfrQbpRruLA94gx2-sMAEfGEuU_ZRPrDC6x_E12JEuvtQTs6-QmE2AE8P3=w1250-h834-no

Mission accomplished.

W97UJlEF4yTZgewxIM_fSSg9DAN2Zbs1KVM2MS6Q6-feJYBRKd4HczruLJTutUjdE0UUufJNxGhfzD5aAYm1-XYUnZyhwnMbhcPaS-Q6_bb4En5CTtDKCctxsmqb-nOpfrMaWlS_FopF2LTii0tjYhLb90Vtr5lVaSrIVXikLMcWcBz3inS_mqsHolO4qh2XUVh-j-eIFwY0r8JqCcQQJhFIfqc6x83lK2B53r91rOHjt_a_KSpGOA8u7oS94YKm6qQOzAc3PZrET7fwDTQRh3Qw9rGVn7qjsibi13XUMUuQiuVvX-sVVD-TdhOKilz44da2KImL4w2p_w5IeL_bGmC_FJuNjB7JkbnGmghvqeLAvJbF-hXVY7E7FGE0AW8Ih7fd7NzMVx-2M7TXKaQrMspagKhW8MocEPZaci45uOCv_QZNibAqtjFfryATDHnpSwSeUdyu3HLAvG_ZVZ9jcRZYPifx1RoQu3QSufQBSjcc5_MZdr_Fb0lwPB0wi4kEr23ISLO42NMpKciQLu7k9ClMwddYpbyVAcx4LOpy3mBDigMncX_IGH37JusIAWsduQhzKmTFG0mETpXz_znFfaZbyCdgPMcVN1TKZTAa=w1250-h834-no

It was nice just to take a break and enjoy wandering the beach and getting our feet wet. Julie fell in love with the area and immediately started trying to make plans to go back.

Whoops. I guess we got more than our feet wet.

PCwBADZEPfkhoVpIUJ4ZXBbAjbq1th_Bn_t38X1NzqPo9olvJYK-uYzV53UYusvvhfEKVTw4izJ0imL9lXYre9D-mW9tHJU7NIt1FbAwC4j6-F3vysmPeZfQ6ceMMVNlxYCaoL4_NU0w-dIvjEc1qvicT-etEKUFpJHBNA3DJy6GIEKIO0yxa1WyqbcYFNpXHrfMlZb_iNjcbDqcpTqKQQPJhmTBazF8rixHhol3PFoH6EdqXEJ32KaV3oEEK68ro6tSFiDnyN-NSjNt82AP3JstEWGDMbVL0Ysm-pAWAE3xyo-V_QDTKkDUjU0lqha0oOWloH6ZTNiX7wtdfzTySQhSfDqo0dbluJvWnUwWXdLclid0FWAypDBAiUnrc-QOYODPeJzqukpX1CX-QCgV5LHKStsmCkbo7tQlLGtbsKPfSQnSTJtx1BN7teTQRZSqp7wD0AeqZWFtzlak2n1d5eq9EX93R72hKNYZG1cM5fD_SXG8g0Qbv96djlXV4hRtgXS64h3O70YjCfmuctv2OYfTBv9iA-XNBQWV_TJCcN42fo86i21nUl24CAY1df_MtQD4g-axHxQfOUjZ5aNZKyO5Xo_vDBcuA6GMf4rm=w1250-h834-no

Well, that’s no big deal. I mean, who cares if you ruin a rental v—oh, right.

In any case, we had a nice time.

bj_BIrc_B-zUGrcLFUcPfPDRNs1-FlkUAFrZ7wJ19kahcYCHfidmp-DbiWFvkTArZxYdd6rdbZjjOsCMoHybsfviA3xgcWR2JbfXIUGmXJRGvXzbWAYWyMGYGXkQiVJJxDCryRPBBOa8cJkVDjEv4EcwtskJVh-VGNkskPtarfiIYkc5U4bRU_X0fG4cnPzibEth_B-dw7jrQC4zFfIpw1yWbNMuc7Y66leBehGcaMjETqpQ9Ht5JKYB0EEpRsiv6Qk5d0mwewCgJM3aqoBvCoXsCzhaMDv1EiDtDQ79r9CFC-IyNhrzHK9kK7ETfElLpuwx8HuDklFVT7xjAxZdrwaa_Tbr0bjuqXa9fomJTgL7585CulHkLlK_SkeAqpOtoaD9_S92gbV6sNJDsoQcplvFrmRcefGlLvlnH713MJZoSFAr5sMnLDj6Y0-InRDXpCVIUKc0bgBnQOhKw2uVcGzoXm4Fy-w514U36XCsjRZEw7fzW2rqt2c1vAbVHM9L-r7A0Cv3hueDINKVUSH3NNWaO971CnwT61JA2dX5uezIe5IHuCIA1jaoKbuIFBmpmqKed2Z9dnxAVTHrC8WAHzvIAaxpaFdyxmr8lq33=w1250-h834-no

AeUG5bQodtZePUu4sIqyENn3swVJZUUkKkJ3WuqTpiEItJq2q8w-M353U6V5zKuSLAojL3jGf6nMke9JSjPpZ2Ww3EZSslaQ1Pfz-Xo6-aXuWzRkUcT7nFH810vydaHzqyypqniRN9asp-HaqDGK0tSxuln451QSoUkx_XjhYv_zQz6WqGXsj9ZsFeb8Ae6rGVEaW8yLOs-DjadY9qEv_cw47wxJNNMppqMYMdGrWBs-lyeDppCLByhqZ4S2TcqmE-mdeuLqMk359BxitNUFhzvMvrfWIckSJGrBiMmjSNYcPd2fwwNy4azgRX8QaYww6VVKs5w6K6nE4g8HdbBILW_9rBY6cxzbs6R8g9XRgG0Yn_bDFWy2QKu2NGc-JLIr7AiOs2UwsCrMHMWaB6iEj5SNrhKBax6157RJZHbZrBLiryF9mb5UL71HmlBwPZLnbErtYXZ0uYQY3HS-bBfWE19KTaNHthyhn4rlDfRzo39WgEmbZetmCRHPWZjzbOhpSNbrv6guEh36qMpQuOucXGi5tslwWoz_xE1_9z3cuKmUzo7zC9KkfkEggqRk9b5Z2jbm_wEtkpdMeLwPsO-mxfEFbEmXO4bmu2BI9wmA=w1250-h834-no

O5aBuwvJrTQHeUoVhcJY_6gDh-0dJ56TM5zYU46xHgpRPRyGNzmMURHB2rjqfHUzw0rQU4_yA8OILN2f3bNjJ142oCzm-fMuPWUZ7MTJ0UzDCQfLqtzFbD8A6vq_wWIES4MW30av3SixO0xheaVTZMfpX8hvlhFRoGr0QW95E4cnDM7aVcseRDf3TpR27GE6vcq4UKlKtwE_w8uzAkSw9tH3T3OZIqGmW8rbeRwVTzxFRKOkOQ3Jpi2lIVXZMkrv3L7lxJxTDRqe3NNCy4GHklsrtoMWFcd1b7VJrJdlg4NeTwi8hdwmZRvp7imR9Wr2F523rpsNvkG70WWV5Ax5T-lr5IoDmQIMTidOYLYgeM-Oc0hqRABLXHIoF8j_iOetbd_re80eH3zcB1Bjbn-g6u-TnzT5gdNiDcfuzrPd6c8yr7Oi_zfXeOOOZ3Y_8iU6w1HGVyRyl7gr-pIUfW7WMPpl-04Tj9OoDtAYCtuZkU3QuV3ZthVFGBi5g4Sr62RwEqP0R5UFofUkKu7-gIpQpIHp-Xkcs8pFpPdmm2OVq_F2qV-YpiguUJqwTjNcvS79GnX2wA8MPiE2ueMQuH3XW-LNwEKzs2uGGXrKOcpX=w1118-h838-no

O9lqxOyqQERHRqWwlBysC465WSfG8maQa9cnG63JsTZIBymqYXwrxsCx-ml5m4tRZ_xl7VvZxhEMrU2HvWO6b0qDqU7Llzl-E7lS9DEtbK95p1XWiPnMFRnlkpcQ9ROY5YdTXHEtP2-BVJKljirIjQtza11-vloWE9FMEnd2-8IGTbn5EMUT-UhBo0bnc_I6wGpC4TojMqrRsK2XgPrhgmKBZ0m4LXjIPPESDMsbZrVwBMYNvt9WSpK9rx9kOXryfO2uhpfCq35ZR4gerKXuHgte_FwRd_et_QBpcS-bHZy6ZkA4OKpdUIWd_rWQo2zD9ppc5717hgp4IlElRSqvQT18WVUxTIghTrt2vXB0XYTHEsxc7gkDPo_0BJxQfDyL2zH6DSRf43qyHFFxKZAs_bPwmGbdbCcj6mshiJer3dPd9uiSbk0DZ3yjWcMN9fj90Y1Z1K16Mke6XxeJNTtzpb0eRUMY_nXtBrgEDfcRKGpW9m6zoJu4fGM0-G5C1L5JTnp0UBU_mNaQPwR4mSwiR000KA1HmiXSTqngU58wPg3oXQoJ8b4jUTib6jvZMlqyXZyzpJs43ytYnpNfI9lz9JZ8z_MTVIWcb_yPsZvj=w1118-h838-no

Oh, and the Blue Angels just happened to be practicing while we were there. So that was awesome.

BQml5pmbEI36_7UmYhwrtYZQ9WC5wKY7h4zwSFMVrdK2LFzlVH7hjCJgfogpSqWRb6gCcWXC-WpEnZLzUBs34sbZGhfSMcDNqg55OrQ98j8ZCQg6qVjlYvIOJpHuMIz8Q1sHezGmF6vjb9p1x7vW9XWRi7xdPsYIVEgh4RO3BIoT31P60dgPDgR6GPYhQOdhEXusidfBGYNIh_zJ4ffVmwiJnSYRfSDiQI86F-M3_dtZ5QCcLB-JTc7xDOAetTKvBayTFR2W1GBuSUlGY7rIXnkKPqo8mdAowYYPcQtZRwp2OJx2-DzDZHjJhcOvHrSr3WuqBwcGjXB38TjT1GPvxHen_3il2li0gSlcIiiIBNPkKqkPLCDwCJlSxoeflsocxkAyoGOSlTOwQ2sW5FT3y_iDaurpfTevQ21E3n0AQjrRC-rt_a0pibJDXucQWVmV5dJh8FHyzJ6Yj3DtrEAZO_Y3NgX_AonP3uzNiMzIZEhYGs0hrZj04YvewcUZwpTnfOg1VhxEmuSuQZQ5uYjEnFP5R2YkQLYpAcNyZ-puLdfNA8W5Lr_NEdKMdZ75H4Bx9kCr03JYhx8ctThnKNTx_z6r2LrmQ9miSjCO--wJ=w1250-h834-no

1bw32zb5bufPoFzglsmeHInblHfTKvgnR1hoBkQg7HTgl4ndi9LH0fxspLxF94RyKTAkZlgKCQmQi6uTjv-RHdu92FityohZxHOuCDLA14QAWt91JdPNXr2AJtAsqsEe4I2SX-T0n2Km8SMO0TURWxTe8XCtAWcbeohJPdRcr-L6uZjywanfO7KJgeSUx1tYKH5ILqMnXn-32t9ImqEFZjPlsy1uCx18bZyOPG7p5bBudo5t4ZvzZ4SAnWTvE8J2w_g2gr9ASbmVC_8QpWZz3KrgeSITjBv_PgUUFd8AmpWuRB60G3O26nRXm1fkdLppbQyblZ17aLXfGsCqj8-kSvbj44dFb3xw0LqZBo7OqgWc6O54rO0DOnHQfSIZ3et6hzYnUQaVsNFAyeT6a8VeBFKX2WEsnjT-1aubW5VwXpKxBg5Oa2ld96KpobyHSWeNQBtqJKu0dUDdoVNlY8Jvfrjej1ydI-D3lvgPtUqm244DMzW_fbzdNIN6alHKPMaUy6MtT_qw5s_krldDgw7yLEuw4kpYTOFYCI-x2QZUutsdNk2wnS_r8bfulJ0R0OxaCjQXZ0WolL0A-F77dAp_TiKiQjt_IZ7vrgMJll6d=w1250-h834-no

I think it’s safe to say we’ll be back someday. It was such a gorgeous beach.

Once we started feeling the first few drops of rain, we moved back to the van and ate our PB&J for lunch inside. It was obvious the storm would be around for a little while, so we drove away from the beach/park and back towards town, where we stopped for a bathroom break at a crappy tourist t-shirt shop. Then we were once more on the road, headed toward Tallahassee. We were trying to cover the distance of the entire panhandle that day.

The Florida humidity was bringing about the usual pop-up thunderstorms that afternoon, and we ran into several downpours along the way. Most of the afternoon was spent getting up to cruising speed for a few minutes only to hit a torrential wall of water and be forced to slow to a crawl in order to have any chance of seeing what was ahead. Sadly, we were never able to reach ludicrous speed. Somewhere along the way, just as I was starting to accelerate, we heard an incredibly loud crack, and our entire view outside the van flashed white. In the corner of my eye, I saw the zap of a bolt of lightning. I turned my head quickly, and just on the other side of the highway I could see a pine tree smoldering, with smoke wafting out of the top. It had been less than a hundred feet away from us. I vowed immediately to never make fun of anyone ever again and to always eat my vegetables.

We continued on, and began to notice that the numbers on the GPS and the van’s mileage calculator were starting to look very similar. Namely, the number of miles left to go was awfully similar to the number of miles the van calculated we would be able to travel on the current tank of gas. I pointed this out to Julie and told her how I thought this would be a fun experiment. Let’s test the accuracy of our van’s mileage formula! I mean, it was looking like we’d reach the hotel with five miles to spare, so it’s not like it was urgent or anything.

Julie thought this would be a wonderful idea, and readily agreed, by which I mean she immediately freaked out and started loudly threatening me with bodily harm if we ran out of gas on the side of I-10. Some people have no sense of adventure.

Anyway, being the loving and considerate husband that I am, especially one who just narrowly escaped being struck by lightning, I immediately pulled over for gas. By which I mean I kept on driving, being sure to announce the countdown of exactly how much fuel we had left frequently as we drove.

As we approached Tallahassee on fumes, we were all getting hungry. I had researched a couple of placed in town, but it was getting late, we were all hungry, and somebody was worried about our fuel consumption. So we opted for a Cracker Barrel next to the highway. We had less than 10 miles to go to reach the hotel.

wxgeDgx04j0Irg19wkKz2Gm0Yxd5R_9bn2VjqGDdmtedBhWnCHkBf3U4b_a55AYAdf-DLCWhdQ-5C88rLWT2A5AbaVMSI5f1znueog8v8DqG9N9GdbX6oLn4gU678PtyfFDXUW0N6ha4aprNQFjowk0j1qcIdgDtwb242mwEhv8fWRt7XZkyiSL9KZDi2bKS1jFJIZbu1FNTzbot8lXdf0xP28PeHHrdXucYqazYU67Rqn3BTZMegJeciS3AQLYdk--JCLuiJmw8kkh0AzUOnzAo9K8DncoELP6AE0Y33hGVFsi5iwL8Zp2cDJhFMb-FbXCneSx_3kxxltOeCw8Ukf2wdJIgqE48rztdCP7zME7T55irBnb29ZrfLE0rrv87Li87GpyWTcxgvgxLkmbiD4vi9r64R6JRCN_jRM44QsDlOpKyOKfxN1NNdkqJ4TS8WILAiOF4vpsGCb0eLhrN1K4NieHQRdx-8gwutaU2PsAnXPH7DMCg5lvbEWS0D8MmAvlozAH9zOP1EV1xXoE0LG06_U9cjWjxKkZTXAKxwq-iGEoo13A_R-k7ZUBO5p3NfQCssjbBXs5c8OnN1nk_fMdJHTNvEzs3MO-xFJ8x=w1118-h838-no

Totally could have made it.

Anyway, I didn’t worry too much about food photos since most of you have probably been to a Cracker Barrel before. As chains go, it’s a pretty good one. I think I had some sort of chicken dinner there. The important thing is, I upheld my recent vows as a changed man and ordered broccoli with my meal. And I ate it, too. So there.

mnlj_-Jj_9OLx2T5dZphNOyfA2Xo2lYiay7pjcOhdLAaVl1GqbIoOXA-QuSy1-ytLrY1RvnS4xIdUpru8cpNA7fLGY7b8BZWxSpm_ZHoBIUcHyUaX8BKU15MkvrK0aPz2ZTsl0aP6_t-wGHXBYOYXA-8MVG6zt0NqcTDP8XvlPnkMtNf6-Wp76a2bgZgX6jnE3tND20skXIaXyoqsB-eb1Y0zh20uWHDhV-TZKNqTMNFcs9SZeHBvnHSGS69lPQCoC4Eji_Pd0GdsJcUSMylBZDB4OhWdhdY8HSItl3qfxA87qUpzB999j8XBqz5RrnHaTmf9j66ho4SYZs3opWGAkP6Z3iSgCEu99yzuoExyA5X8hCkBp3NWwP0iZOXspi-3kHHx--Y_eBq83x5z_3ZsT6g3pVSJG2PD5xwm1aqgmE8lK4PMi7HqT8jwfuYTVL2cITw_Y_eUY39gqv0C-A-0NyQRab4Kxm_-UZkfQh4ND7IlfMPh8r0AOzAD5-x8e57h9u8Oy6pf9eL1sJtOFjqVRCLpNhMaWh0kf_TUDhyzW6itkck9FrSojcAWT1dZqjwDgt-0g_Qhy0MfZAQlOqxLnz9VCc4Cp78l06KlWLj=w629-h838-no

Coming Up Next: We subject the kids to cruel and unusual punishment.

That beach looks amazing! And I would have loved a picture of your Cracker Barrel meal, I have only been there once... My husband keeps promising to take me for a meal there, but then never does. But goes with all kind of other people.

I totally get your feeling about New Orleans. It is amazing how much a difference it can make whether you feel safe in a place or not. And the strange thing is that sometimes it all just depends on your mind and not real danger. I notice this myself that when I am in a good mood, little strupid things like a dirty street, panhandlers and so don't bother me. But if something makes me feel slightly uncomfortable, I can easily feel very uncomfortable. I guess with kids my threshold would be far lower.

Gorgeous pictures of the beach even the ones with the ominous clouds. My niece got married near Fort Pickens but we weren't able to go....boo! I know the portion of I-10 that you traveled very well. It's boring as heck and seems to stretch on forever. God musta known that you weren't eating enough vegetables and sent that bolt to scare you into eating them.

I've tried both styles. And I'll eat both, because it's BBQ. But I will probably never be a true Carolinean, because I prefer the western tomato-based style. :duck:
::yes::
I like vinegar and like it in a lot of things.(mmmm, German style potato salad), but not in BBQ

For one thing, this was the site of one of the most important battles/turning points in the war.

I wish we had paid the extra and taken the tour here, but Fran didn't want to do the "bus tour", she said we'd go back on our own and see it.

The Cairo was an ironclad gunboat serving the Northern army.

Cool. I remember hearing about that on some history channel program.

In December 1862, while leading an expedition up the Yazoo River

I've actually been on the Yazoo River!

But, as we walked around, we also saw less appealing sights. A shirtless guy wearing a loin cloth, leg bare up to his hip. Another shirtless guy, in dress pants and suspenders with a porkpie hat, screaming obscenities into his cell phone. A panhandler begging for money, and then cursing out a lady who said no, following her down the street as she did so.

Yeah and not to mention that Bourbon Street reeked of urine.....

Anyway, we did get to see Louis Armstrong’s first cornet.

Nice

And Fats Domino’s piano.

Way Cool!

And Pete Fountain’s clarinet. I admit that I have no idea who Pete Fountain is. But apparently he played clarinet.

I know who he is and even have some of his recordings. It helps that I am married to a clarinet player.

You can visit Antoine’s

Yup! Sure Did.

Austin’s, Arnaud’s,

Haven't heard of them.

Galatoire’s,

Wanted to, but we didn't have the time...

Commander’s Palace,

Best 25 cent Martinis ever!

Brennan’s,

Had a reservation, but had to cancel it since Fran was sick.

And of course, we are uncultured swine with an aversion to seafood, so we skipped all of those places and went to a pizza joint.

Well that's OK. Gulf oysters are disgusting.

Scotty seemed to approve. But it was more fun watching the effect of all that sugar on Drew. Or watching Julie pretend to smile at the effects of all that sugar on Drew.

:laughing:

I mean, it’s like, going straight to my brain, man!

Even better picture

Along the way, we passed one of the famous riverboats—the Natchez, ready to take tourists for a ride down the river.

We wanted to do that too, but not enough time.

If you’re taking notes, remember in the future that Scotty is not going to have your back in a fight.

Good to remember.

And I think I got ripped off at the pump, but I can’t prove it. I was sure I pushed the button for the regular 87 octane gas, because that’s what I always do. But somehow I got charged for the premium. It’s possible I pushed the wrong button, but…

Maybe they switched the numbers so tourists would be fooled into buying the more expensive gas. :laughing:

The One Where We Almost Get Struck By Lightning and Run Out of Gas

At least that can only happen once you know.
Lightning never strikes the same place twice.

If we had one regret about New Orleans, it’s that we didn’t get to visit the National World War II Museum.

What????

I am both disgusted and disappointed.

Unfortunately, we’d had a trial run at the National Air & Space Museum in Washington, D.C. a couple of months prior to this trip, and at that time, Drew had been terrible.

Well... okay. I'll give you a pass.

He constantly ran off, forcing us to chase him all over the place,

Wait... he was just ensuring you saw everything. Without him, you probably wouldn't have ventured very far afield.

Instead, we set out east from New Orleans on another lengthy drive.

I presume you use padlocks on his seatbelt?

we spotted the USS Alabama, a U.S. Navy battleship which had originally been commissioned in 1942 and served in World War II in both the Atlantic and Pacific.

Now that's cool. ::yes::

Oh well, at least we can now say we saw something in Alabama.

:rolleyes:

A short while later, we found a familiar sight for many of you:

Nope. Been too long. Don't remember it at all.

My kids had never before laid eyes on the Gulf of Mexico,

That too has been a long time. 1978.

get another National Park passport stamp (obviously)

obviously.

With a 3-year-old along for the ride, surely the toes would be the only part we’d have to worry about getting wet.

Oh, of course. If there's one thing you can count on, it's a three year old's aversion to getting wet.

Fort Pickens, a U.S. army installation first constructed in 1834 as a defense for the major port of Pensacola.

Old.
Ever tell you I used to live across a river from a fort that was built in 1717?

5SUwWv0VEb5VJiw30dmS_7qG5cekh2kfegeMlwsTXhxfh8dA30wLJcTwNtVY-UA8QuZayEmCm-SM6oPN9rst2lqmMN0l8HP-OpS8MX-4olq8so8UeyelMDEGqeZrszONdH6KTHE6H73YVHa3sIbzOU4WxU0p1Pt400_Nb5LG46d5oco9km-_R_1gIAnvX0TNB9meMpBCWS8gWmm6qehyjMzZNa4yUKxlo4antztymWF8FeC8rjibRMrOhYRdZ-jXqBDERR_rNPCibpAVAk0htZNdILsoKtIwn_KhO5NSc9SFJYq-WEnkJt9MaJ8nPg8Xw2dm6_arOf6-lcE3ZYRjSHDzF2ItqjbIw6cAsSJh2V5aW0LrzNE2774hj8BRkMg6U0GzG5Qa4kcdwiDcr_F5nIVrNXAZ41Zcs4W_i4Wu1yQsfvT4vadXxq103jGtOXj3jNWd0r12GoMz36a11-BWJMmUBOK-9MuGyZ_8LuB7Drwfd7h1gdjJWnxgB0OPTg_-qqAFdNwkSxPlV0h6k3HOG_6qX6I6L2l-j17kyFW0gwtVW8UCKCQmiAkXVWNKa4kuq-_GVQfJstxa74dTN1RgA0EqTAD66GP2SC_gn-0G=w1250-h834-no

we found that when we stopped, our feet were getting completely swarmed with ants. Which was…uncomfortable.

Um.... RUN!!!!!

If not a little Moses-and-the-Ten-Plagues scary.

But the beach is absolutely gorgeous.

It is! Really nice. ::yes::

Yay! You did it!
Now leave.

Well, that’s no big deal. I mean, who cares if you ruin a rental v—oh, right.

:rolleyes2

Great shot! :)

Oh, and the Blue Angels just happened to be practicing while we were there. So that was awesome.

No way!!! Lucky!

and ate our PB&J for lunch inside.

Therrrrre it is.

:laughing: I see what you did there.

Most of the afternoon was spent getting up to cruising speed for a few minutes only to hit a torrential wall of water and be forced to slow to a crawl in order to have any chance of seeing what was ahead.

You know what I'm wondering? If an auto-piloted vehicle would be slowed down by low visibility as much as a human. Do the sensors work better, or worse than eyesight? No clue.
(Not withstanding the recent issue with Uber's cars.)

Sadly, we were never able to reach ludicrous speed.

Although now it can also refer to:

I was starting to accelerate, we heard an incredibly loud crack, and our entire view outside the van flashed white. In the corner of my eye, I saw the zap of a bolt of lightning. I turned my head quickly, and just on the other side of the highway I could see a pine tree smoldering, with smoke wafting out of the top. It had been less than a hundred feet away from us.

Whoa! A bit too close for comfort. Mind you, you're perfectly safe in the van. You happen to be connected (or not, conductively speaking) to the road by four rubber tires.

We continued on, and began to notice that the numbers on the GPS and the van’s mileage calculator were starting to look very similar. Namely, the number of miles left to go was awfully similar to the number of miles the van calculated we would be able to travel on the current tank of gas.

eep!

I mean, it was looking like we’d reach the hotel with five miles to spare, so it’s not like it was urgent or anything.

Oh. Well in that case... no worries!

Julie thought this would be a wonderful idea, and readily agreed, by which I mean she immediately freaked out and started loudly threatening me with bodily harm if we ran out of gas on the side of I-10.

:lmao: ::yes::

Some people have no sense of adventure.

Can you imagine if Lewis and Clark worried about their gas mileage? Sheesh!

So we opted for a Cracker Barrel next to the highway.

This is not up to my normal Oblivious family dining expectations.

Anyway, I didn’t worry too much about food photos since most of you have probably been to a Cracker Barrel before.

Um.... well...

:rolleyes1

I upheld my recent vows as a changed man and ordered broccoli with my meal. And I ate it, too. So there.

mnlj_-Jj_9OLx2T5dZphNOyfA2Xo2lYiay7pjcOhdLAaVl1GqbIoOXA-QuSy1-ytLrY1RvnS4xIdUpru8cpNA7fLGY7b8BZWxSpm_ZHoBIUcHyUaX8BKU15MkvrK0aPz2ZTsl0aP6_t-wGHXBYOYXA-8MVG6zt0NqcTDP8XvlPnkMtNf6-Wp76a2bgZgX6jnE3tND20skXIaXyoqsB-eb1Y0zh20uWHDhV-TZKNqTMNFcs9SZeHBvnHSGS69lPQCoC4Eji_Pd0GdsJcUSMylBZDB4OhWdhdY8HSItl3qfxA87qUpzB999j8XBqz5RrnHaTmf9j66ho4SYZs3opWGAkP6Z3iSgCEu99yzuoExyA5X8hCkBp3NWwP0iZOXspi-3kHHx--Y_eBq83x5z_3ZsT6g3pVSJG2PD5xwm1aqgmE8lK4PMi7HqT8jwfuYTVL2cITw_Y_eUY39gqv0C-A-0NyQRab4Kxm_-UZkfQh4ND7IlfMPh8r0AOzAD5-x8e57h9u8Oy6pf9eL1sJtOFjqVRCLpNhMaWh0kf_TUDhyzW6itkck9FrSojcAWT1dZqjwDgt-0g_Qhy0MfZAQlOqxLnz9VCc4Cp78l06KlWLj=w629-h838-no

I see proof that you ordered it... but nothing else.

Coming Up Next: We subject the kids to cruel and unusual punishment.

Finally!

Chapter 9: The One Where We Almost Get Struck By Lightning and Run Out of Gas

Along the way, as we drove through Mobile, Alabama, we spotted the USS Alabama, a U.S. Navy battleship which had originally been commissioned in 1942 and served in World War II in both the Atlantic and Pacific. I’m sure that would have been a neat tour, too. Oh well, at least we can now say we saw something in Alabama.
It is a good tour, so maybe the next time you're back in the area, Drew will be old enough to both behave and enjoy it.
If you ever make it to Patriot's point, the Yorktown is cool too. We actually camped out on it for 2 nights when my son was in cub scouts. Even though they're not as big as the new carriers, it's still huge!

We got off the interstate at the city of Pensacola, in the Florida panhandle. We made our way through the city and across a couple of bridges to the outlying Gulf Islands National Seashore.
DW and I got married in Pensacola, but we've never been there.

My kids had never before laid eyes on the Gulf of Mexico, so I would have been remiss if I hadn’t made it to the shore at some point on this trip. I had two basic goals in stopping here: 1) get another National Park passport stamp (obviously), and 2) let the kids dip their toes in the Gulf of Mexico. With a 3-year-old along for the ride, surely the toes would be the only part we’d have to worry about getting wet.
Of course you'd have nothing else to worry about and don't call me Shirley!

I think he's at least cognizant enough to move when someone yells fire in the hole, though. Not so sure about you! :lmao:

In any case, we had a nice time.

bj_BIrc_B-zUGrcLFUcPfPDRNs1-FlkUAFrZ7wJ19kahcYCHfidmp-DbiWFvkTArZxYdd6rdbZjjOsCMoHybsfviA3xgcWR2JbfXIUGmXJRGvXzbWAYWyMGYGXkQiVJJxDCryRPBBOa8cJkVDjEv4EcwtskJVh-VGNkskPtarfiIYkc5U4bRU_X0fG4cnPzibEth_B-dw7jrQC4zFfIpw1yWbNMuc7Y66leBehGcaMjETqpQ9Ht5JKYB0EEpRsiv6Qk5d0mwewCgJM3aqoBvCoXsCzhaMDv1EiDtDQ79r9CFC-IyNhrzHK9kK7ETfElLpuwx8HuDklFVT7xjAxZdrwaa_Tbr0bjuqXa9fomJTgL7585CulHkLlK_SkeAqpOtoaD9_S92gbV6sNJDsoQcplvFrmRcefGlLvlnH713MJZoSFAr5sMnLDj6Y0-InRDXpCVIUKc0bgBnQOhKw2uVcGzoXm4Fy-w514U36XCsjRZEw7fzW2rqt2c1vAbVHM9L-r7A0Cv3hueDINKVUSH3NNWaO971CnwT61JA2dX5uezIe5IHuCIA1jaoKbuIFBmpmqKed2Z9dnxAVTHrC8WAHzvIAaxpaFdyxmr8lq33=w1250-h834-no

AeUG5bQodtZePUu4sIqyENn3swVJZUUkKkJ3WuqTpiEItJq2q8w-M353U6V5zKuSLAojL3jGf6nMke9JSjPpZ2Ww3EZSslaQ1Pfz-Xo6-aXuWzRkUcT7nFH810vydaHzqyypqniRN9asp-HaqDGK0tSxuln451QSoUkx_XjhYv_zQz6WqGXsj9ZsFeb8Ae6rGVEaW8yLOs-DjadY9qEv_cw47wxJNNMppqMYMdGrWBs-lyeDppCLByhqZ4S2TcqmE-mdeuLqMk359BxitNUFhzvMvrfWIckSJGrBiMmjSNYcPd2fwwNy4azgRX8QaYww6VVKs5w6K6nE4g8HdbBILW_9rBY6cxzbs6R8g9XRgG0Yn_bDFWy2QKu2NGc-JLIr7AiOs2UwsCrMHMWaB6iEj5SNrhKBax6157RJZHbZrBLiryF9mb5UL71HmlBwPZLnbErtYXZ0uYQY3HS-bBfWE19KTaNHthyhn4rlDfRzo39WgEmbZetmCRHPWZjzbOhpSNbrv6guEh36qMpQuOucXGi5tslwWoz_xE1_9z3cuKmUzo7zC9KkfkEggqRk9b5Z2jbm_wEtkpdMeLwPsO-mxfEFbEmXO4bmu2BI9wmA=w1250-h834-no
Cool pictures! Keepers!

BQml5pmbEI36_7UmYhwrtYZQ9WC5wKY7h4zwSFMVrdK2LFzlVH7hjCJgfogpSqWRb6gCcWXC-WpEnZLzUBs34sbZGhfSMcDNqg55OrQ98j8ZCQg6qVjlYvIOJpHuMIz8Q1sHezGmF6vjb9p1x7vW9XWRi7xdPsYIVEgh4RO3BIoT31P60dgPDgR6GPYhQOdhEXusidfBGYNIh_zJ4ffVmwiJnSYRfSDiQI86F-M3_dtZ5QCcLB-JTc7xDOAetTKvBayTFR2W1GBuSUlGY7rIXnkKPqo8mdAowYYPcQtZRwp2OJx2-DzDZHjJhcOvHrSr3WuqBwcGjXB38TjT1GPvxHen_3il2li0gSlcIiiIBNPkKqkPLCDwCJlSxoeflsocxkAyoGOSlTOwQ2sW5FT3y_iDaurpfTevQ21E3n0AQjrRC-rt_a0pibJDXucQWVmV5dJh8FHyzJ6Yj3DtrEAZO_Y3NgX_AonP3uzNiMzIZEhYGs0hrZj04YvewcUZwpTnfOg1VhxEmuSuQZQ5uYjEnFP5R2YkQLYpAcNyZ-puLdfNA8W5Lr_NEdKMdZ75H4Bx9kCr03JYhx8ctThnKNTx_z6r2LrmQ9miSjCO--wJ=w1250-h834-no
That's cool too! I was stationed at Nellis (home of the thunderbirds), so while I still find it fascinating how close they fly to each other, it's not quite as thrilling as it once was. I used to get a kick out of people who were new to the base would leave their car alarms on. When the thunderbirds took off, the alarms would go off. You could always tell who the new people were from their car alarms.

I think it’s safe to say we’ll be back someday. It was such a gorgeous beach.
I think I'm going to have to make a point to head down there sometime.

The Florida humidity was bringing about the usual pop-up thunderstorms that afternoon, and we ran into several downpours along the way. Most of the afternoon was spent getting up to cruising speed for a few minutes only to hit a torrential wall of water and be forced to slow to a crawl in order to have any chance of seeing what was ahead. Sadly, we were never able to reach ludicrous speed. Somewhere along the way, just as I was starting to accelerate, we heard an incredibly loud crack, and our entire view outside the van flashed white. In the corner of my eye, I saw the zap of a bolt of lightning. I turned my head quickly, and just on the other side of the highway I could see a pine tree smoldering, with smoke wafting out of the top. It had been less than a hundred feet away from us. I vowed immediately to never make fun of anyone ever again and to always eat my vegetables.
I've had lightning hit that close once before, although it was at night so I couldn't see exactly what it hit, but it's scary when you see the flash and hear the boom at the same time. Kinda cool (and also disconcerting) you were able to see it.

Julie thought this would be a wonderful idea, and readily agreed, by which I mean she immediately freaked out and started loudly threatening me with bodily harm if we ran out of gas on the side of I-10. Some people have no sense of adventure.

Anyway, being the loving and considerate husband that I am, especially one who just narrowly escaped being struck by lightning, I immediately pulled over for gas. By which I mean I kept on driving, being sure to announce the countdown of exactly how much fuel we had left frequently as we drove.
Wives just have no sense of adventure. :sad:
Hmmm, no where have I heard that before? Oh wait, about 6 lines above this.[/quote][/QUOTE]

Another great trip report. I've said it before...I think it is so cool that you take your kids on these road trips. Great memories forever....PB&J's and all...even the not so great experiences will be fondly talked about years from now.

I see proof that you ordered it... but nothing else.

I see proof that someone may have ordered it (no proof Mark did).

Wives just have no sense of adventure.

I beg to differ.....I constantly drive my husband nuts by testing just how low I can let my tank get. :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter