The tale of two trips: Great start but ends in the ER

M:SpilotISTC12

Mouseketeer
Yesterday we arrived home from our trip in hind sight wished we didn't go on...you'll see why by the end of the post.

Pretrip- This was our first stay at OKW. Our party was my wife, daughter (16 months old) and family friend. My mother and step father are staying at BCV. We had our crib rental all setup.

3/20- We departed Newark at 6:00 am via JetBlue. We had a whole extra space seating row to ourselves! Couldn't have gone any better! Picked up our rental car at MCO that we booked through UCT with the purchase of our Universal tickets. Found that 50% off tip through Disboards! Made a quick stop at Target to pickup our order that we placed as we were taxiing at MCO. Everything was going smoothly. Met my parents at Olivias for breakfast. The chicken and waffles were so good! Can't recommend enough! Right after lunch our room was ready in building 14. The location was perfect. We had a studio which was perfect since the layout was able to have the crib out of the way. If you got kids that need a crib/ pack-n-play, OKW studios are the way to go. You won't even feel the loss of space. The crib showed up right before our room was ready so bell services brought it across the street. After a short nap for the baby, we played at the main pool until it was time to meet my parents again. This time it was Port Orleans for Boatwrights. It was good but not worth the money. The portion of shrimp and grits was small but very good. Didn't get the value I was hoping for. Still a great day and fantastic beginning!

3/21- Slept in to catch up on sleep from the early morning the day before. Today was meant to be a chill out day. Our family friend was due to land at MCO at 1 pm. Made another Target order pickup for stuff we had forgotten in our first order. Picked him up and went to the Beach Club to meet with my parents at the quiet pool for a few hours. After checking the weather for Thursday we saw nothing but rain in the forecast. I called UCT and was able to get a refund our Universal tickets. Later on this would show this would be the right decision. We went back to OKW to get ready for our dinner at Steakhouse 71! Our server was Ashley, who we had back in December when we did our WDW/DL trip. She remembered us and we thanked her for her great DL tips. The food was out of this world! Everything as a 10 out of 10. Prime rib was unbelievable. After our meal we headed back to the car when the fireworks started so we watched the fireworks from the parking lot. Great way to end the night!

3/22- Today was our family friend's birthday! We started at Steakhouse 71 for breakfast. It was so good the first time we went back in December we had to go again. However our family friend was not feeling well in the morning. He got sick in the bathroom in the morning but felt better after. We blamed on the mixing of different alcohols at dinner the night before. After breakfast we walked to MK for our 16 month old's first trip to MK. The crowd was nuts. Even pre-pandemic I never experienced a crowd like this. Everything was at least a 45 min wait. Genie plus was essentially useless. Every option was more than 2 hours away from the current time. We got to ride TTA, CoP. We waited for Dumbo so our infant could run around since waiting in line is not really her cup of tea. We had a LL for Peter Pan at 1:30 pm but of course our infant fell asleep in the stroller right at 1 pm so we were not going to disturb her. We headed out of MK. We drove to BC to meet up with my parents and walked to Epcot. We were able to get ride pretty much everything except for Remy's and Frozen. The night caped off with our first time seeing Harmonious! I liked it more than I thought I would. I thought it would have been better suited for MK. It doesn't justify those barges being out there all day.

3/23- Today was another pool day. My infant threw up in the morning. It was one time and thought nothing of it. Nothing much else happened before dinner at Topolino's. It was really very good! Living in NJ we know good Italian and this was good Italian that was worth the money. After dinner we took a tour of the Riviera rooms to see if we wanted to ever possibly buy points there. We like it but didn't love it. Not enough to buy there or buy direct. As we were leaving my infant threw up again this time on my wife as she was about to get loaded into the car. Now we became slightly concerned. I barely slept that night in case threw up again at night.

3/24- This was suppose to be our Universal day so we didn't have plans except to maybe go check out City Walk. Our family has never been to USO. In the morning my wife starting vomiting non stop. Somewhere around noon I get a call from my mom saying that the step father was also non stop vomiting. My wife was severely dehydrated so I brought her to the ER at the Celebration Hospital. My family friend stayed back in the room with our daughter. We got checked in and while taking blood she passed out and was admitted right away. They gave her an IV and anti-nausea meds. Now my stomach started acted funny. Well I went to the bathroom in the ER and spilled my guts all over the bathroom. If not for the red help cord next to the toilet not sure they would have found me. So I got admitted. As my blood was getting drawn I passed out. I woke up to my whole body covered in threw up. All my clothes, ruined. I was given and IV and anti nausea meds. Luckily it stopped after a couple of hours. My mom texted my wife, who was feeling better, that she too was throwing up. Apparently there was a stomach virus going around and we all got it. We left the hospital around 11:30 pm. It was awful. Getting back to the room our family friend got sick...again. Just hoping it would end soon for everyone involved. We got our scripts to get filled before out flights home the next day.

3/25- It was departure day. I've never wanted to go home while in WDW before until today. Got our meds in the morning. We wanted to just go home and get home smoothly. Luckily we did. Those meds really helped. The flight home was a tiddy two hours. Everyone in our group had a tough morning but on flight was good.

3/26- Still recovering. Much better than two days ago but not 100%. Sticking to bread and rice. This trip has scarred everyone in our group. Started off great but the end of the trip overshadowed any positive of this trip. Really is a shame. Here's to a better next time.

Oh wow - that is terrible! What a way to spend a vacation - IMO, throwing up is one of the top 3 worst things to experience. Ugh.

So my guess is the friend who didn't feel well earlier in the trip probably had the same virus???

Oh wow - that is terrible! What a way to spend a vacation - IMO, throwing up is one of the top 3 worst things to experience. Ugh.

So my guess is the friend who didn't feel well earlier in the trip probably had the same virus???
It was not fun at all. Luckily everyone now is doing much much better. We think our friend had it first, gave it to us and then we gave it back to him at the tail end of the trip.

This sounds like a trip that we had a few years ago. Everyone in our family got sick, one after another, except for 1. We were suppose to go home the next day, but there was no way we could get on a plane. We stayed in the hotel for as long as we could, then checked into the Hyatt, at the airport. We were all starting to feel better and started eating a little bit. We went home the next day. I know you can't laugh at it now, but this is a trip that we all remember and can laugh at now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter