"The Stormtrooper Killed My Cupcake!" - An August 2016 TR *5/12 x2!*

amberg93

here, queer, etc
Welcome!

Together_zps6hh8nney.jpeg

Hello everyone and welcome to our sixth trip report. Whether you're someone who has followed along before or if this is your first time joining us on our travels, we're really happy to have you here!

As in past trip reports, Marie and I are going to be trading off the narration duties for this trip report. My writing will look like this, where as Marie's will look like this.

We did do a pre-trip report for this trip which introduced a guessing game that I'll get into more detail with in the next post, but if you're interested in reading about it you can do so here.

Let's give a little background information for the trip now:
When: Flew in August 6th, 2016 and flew out August 15, 2016
Where: Stayed at Quality Inn (1 night), Pop Century (1 night) and Port Orleans Riverside (7 nights)
Why: Cause we couldn't be expected not to go to Disney this year!

And now, for our who.

Amber_zpsetklfpyl.jpg

That's me. My name is Amber. I'm 23 years old, a first year nursing student, a Quebec immigrant and a Michigan native. If you see me at Disney, you'd catch me crying over IllumiNations, sighing over Tomorrowland at night, sassing Kylo Ren or laughing through Dinosaur.

Marie_zpsye5o2cq1.jpg

This is my better half, Marie. She's 27 years old, a cruise agent for a travel wholesaler, a Quebec native and fully French-English bilingual. If you see her at Disney, you'd catch her dashing to Soarin', soaking in Main Street USA, dominating at Toy Story Midway Mania, or glued to a seat at Festival of the Lion King.

This was our first trip during the summer and it was filled with new experiences, including:
- New restaurants
- Pool time
- Firework dessert parties
- Brief friend meets
- Anniversary buttons
- And so much more!

So, if you're interested in following along, go ahead and get comfortable because we're about to transport you back to the most magical place on Earth!

A Bit of Fun and Games

As I mentioned above, we started a guessing game in our Pre-Trip report that we decided to continue on through our regular trip report. The difference being that for every two correct guesses made in the PTR, the participants get an extra bonus point. Also, since we were pretty active on social media during our trip, some questions won't be open for guessing.

But, have no fear first time joiners in! You can still join in the party!

Also, did I mention that there are prizes?

prizes_zpsyp7ret5l.gif

Okay, the prizes aren't that great and they're a surprise but they are real! We'll send real prizes to you! Direct from Canada to your mailbox.

So how is it gonna work?

Simple. There are point values assigned to each question and if you answer it right you get points.

The person with the most points wins!

dance_zpsj59dqv03.gif

Alright so here are the questions you can guess (and there might be update specific questions in the future). Some will be closed after the update is posted. They'll be stricken through.

1. What Table Service Restaurants are we eating at?
2 Points per Restaurant. 1 Extra point for any Quick Service restaurant added!

2. What will be our First Park?
3 Points.

3. Which Character will we wait for the LONGEST?
2 Points.

4. Which Ride will be wait for the LONGEST?
2 Points.

5. How many times will we visit Each Park?
4 Points.

6. How many Resorts will we visit?
(Not counting where we will be staying)
5 Points. Extra points if you guess which!

7. What will be our First Park Ride of the trip?
3 Points.

8. What Character will we meet First?
3 Points.

9. Name FIVE Snacks we will have
1 Point per Snack. Five for Amber, Five for Marie

10. How many Pins will we Trade, in Total? (+/- 10)
5 Points.

11. What Ride will we do the Most?
2 Points.

12. How many times will we (read: Amber) need a Cardigan/Coat?
4 Points.

13. How many times will we take a Resort Break?
3 Points.

14. How many times will we take out our Ponchos?
5 Points.

15. How many different Modes of Transportation are we gonna use?
3 Points.

You can change your answers as time goes on, but you'll earn less points guessing how many times our ponchos have been taken out if you add numbers after we've posted saying we took them out.

Guesses and points will be kept track of in the next update!

Last edited:
Score Board and Guesses

Here's the place to have everything kept track of.

First though, we'll award PTR points for those who guessed our proper resorts:

pkondz: 2 points for correctly guessing Port Orleans Riverside!

1. What Table Service Restaurants are we eating at? (THE PLAZA)
Victoriasmom98: Tusker House
TheMaxRebo: Teppan Edo, Crystal Palace, Mama Melrose (Extra for QS: Be Our Guest, Sunshine Seasons)
pkondz: 1900 Park Fare, Teppan Edo, Beaches & Cream, Via Napoli, Tutto Italia, Crystal Palace, Be Our Guest, Yak & Yeti, Biergarten, Boma (Extra for QS: Be Our Guest)
felynn:
Mama Melrose, Teppan Edo, Whispering Canyon Cafe (Extra for QS: Be Our Guest, Sunshine Seasons, Landscape of Flavor)

2. What will be our First Park? (MAGIC KINGDOM)
Victoriasmom98: Magic Kingdom - 3 points
TheMaxRebo: Magic Kingdom - 3 points
pkondz: Animal Kingdom
jandlinz: Magic Kingdom - 3 points
felynn: Magic Kingdom - 3 points

3. Which Character will we wait for the LONGEST?
Victoriasmom98: Belle
TheMaxRebo: Baymax
pkondz: Anna & Elsa
felynn: Joy and Sadness

4. Which Ride will be wait for the LONGEST?
Victoriasmom98: TSMM
TheMaxRebo: Test Track
pkondz: Splash Mountain
felynn: Soarin'

5. How many times will we visit Each Park?
Victoriasmom98: 2
TheMaxRebo: MK - 5 / EPCOT - 4 / DHS - 2 / AK - 2
pkondz: 2
felynn: MK - 4 / EPCOT - 4 / DHS - 2 / AK -1

6. How many Resorts will we visit? - (1, AoA)
Victoriasmom98: Three (Yacht Club)
TheMaxRebo: Three (Contemporary, Polynesian, Beach Club)
pkondz: Four (Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge, Polynesian, Contemporary)
felynn: Four (Art of Animation, Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter)

7. What will be our First Park Ride of the trip? (SPLASH MOUNTAIN)
Victoriasmom98: -
TheMaxRebo: The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
pkondz: Kilimanjaro Safari
felynn: The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

8. What Character will we meet First?
Victoriasmom98: Pooh
TheMaxRebo: Gaston
pkondz: Dug
felynn: Mickey

9. Name FIVE Snacks we will have
Victoriasmom98: Popcorn, Mickey Bar, Dole Whip, Churro
TheMaxRebo: Amber - Mickey Bar / Marie - Mickey Bar
pkondz: Amber & Marie - Pretzel, Dole Whip, Popcorn, Mickey Bar, Cupcake
felynn: Amber or Marie - Mickey Bar, Dole Whip, Rice Crispy Squares, Cupcake / Marie - Macaroon

10. How many Pins will we Trade, in Total? (+/- 10)
Victoriasmom98: 10
TheMaxRebo: 45
pkondz: 80
felynn: 20

11. What Ride will we do the Most?
Victoriasmom98: PeopleMover
TheMaxRebo:
pkondz: Haunted Mansion
felynn: Splash Mountain

12. How many times will we (read: Amber) need a Cardigan/Coat?
Victoriasmom98: Every Day (8)
TheMaxRebo: 14
pkondz: 8

13. How many times will we take a Resort Break?
Victoriasmom98: 3
TheMaxRebo: 5
pkondz: 6
felynn: 5

14. How many times will we take out our Ponchos?
TheMaxRebo: 2
pkondz: 4
felynn: 1

15. How many different Modes of Transportation are we gonna use?
TheMaxRebo: 4
pkondz: 4
felynn: 3

Extra Points

Victoriasmom98
First Ride: Magical Express = 2 Points

pkondz
First Day Wake Up Time: 4:30 = 1 Point
Second Ride of Trip: Big Thunder Mountain = 1 Point

felynn
Second Ride of Trip: Big Thunder Mountain = 1 Point
Not Waiting To Be Seated = 1 Point

Happy Guessing Everyone!

Last edited:
Table of Contents

Introduction
Game Rules
Score Board

August 6
"This flight is 80% children"

August 7
Part 1: "You folks headed home?"
Part 2: "Punch me, Marie. Punch me in the face."
Part 3: "Where is the music?"
Part 4: "How do you think you'd feel if you heard that all day?"
Part 5: "It'll be about 20 minutes."
Part 6: "Did you just take a nap?"

Part 7: "It's really intense."
Part 8: "So you can hit a cupcake but you can't hit a person?"

August 8
Part 1: "Tiana says we're friends!"
Part 2: "Thank you to animal crackers..."
Part 3: "I want to steal these lights."
Part 4: "Maybe he doesn't know what province Canada is in."
Part 5: "He wasn't wearing shoes."
Part 6: "What's better than one Kiss Goodnight?"

August 9
Part 1: "Excuse me, sir, is that your banana?"
Part 2: "Free cake? Yes, please."
Part 3: "Where is the storyline?
Part 4: "He's so squishy!"
Part 5: "Are we sure this is turkey?"

August 10
Part 1: "I hope you have many more years together."
Part 2: "How was Father's Day?"
Part 3: "I'm reunited with my food love."
Part 4: "I've gotta give the Imagineers props for the queue."
Part 5: "The line starts back there."
Part 6: "The best time for Winnie the Pooh is all the time."

August 11
Part 1: "Could it be? Is it he?"
Part 2: "But that ain't none of my business..."
https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...ust-2016-tr-5-4.3541996/page-10#post-57585002
https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...ust-2016-tr-5-4.3541996/page-10#post-57585002

Real Life

Real Life #1

Last edited:

Here! And... I didn't read a thing!
I'll be back when I have time though. Promise!

Here! And... I didn't read a thing!
I'll be back when I have time though. Promise!

Well :welcome: now and we look forward to having you back when you've got time :P

I'm here too. :)

Hi! :wave2: Happy to have you following along! Marie has read me a lot of your PTR about nursing school, which has made me both anxious and excited as I start my journey.

I'm here! Super excited you got this started!

I am ready to rock and/or roll!

Glad to see you here, Phil! ::yes:: I know, school has been tough to get the swing of, but hopefully I'll fall into a pattern soon where I can be active on the Dis and get everything done.

Here! Can't wait to read your trip report.... We leave in 13 days. Can't wait!!

:welcome: and thank you! You're getting so close to your trip! I hope it's amazing :)

Definitely following along!

Great to see you again, Elle :) Thanks for coming to follow along!

I love your trip reports! So glad to see another one!

:thanks: We're very glad to have you here and hope you enjoy this one too!

I CANNOT WAIT TO READ!!!!

:welcome: and thank you! Hopefully it lives up to your expectations lol

Day 1: "This flight is 80% children"

Since we have taken to traveling in the evening, our travel day didn't actually start out all that early. We got up, did some laundry and went to buy bug spray.

Then we cleaned up the apartment and Marie worked on finishing up our thank you cards for cast members who went above and beyond.

I know, this is completely riveting stuff.

Our cat, Kiara, was picked up around 1 by Marie's work friend Jenn who'd be taking care of her for the duration of our trip.

001_zps1r7xmhdi.jpg

Look at that little face. It was so hard to say goodbye, but we knew that she'd be in good hands. So, we gave her some extra cuddles and then sent her on her way.

After that, we basically gathered up our last minute things, ate some snacks and did a quick run through to make sure we weren't forgetting anything before heading out to the bus stop. Which, we decided to do early because our apartment was a million degrees thanks to the hot weather and lack of air conditioning.

It's a good thing we did head out early because I forgot my headphones and had to turn back for them. Once I got them and made my way back to the bus stop, Marie and I chatted and took a few pictures.

002_zps9x9mfyfz.jpg

Selfies are fun.

003_zps2yqy3ab8.jpg

Luggage for our trip. One suitcase was hard, even with the carryons because we tend to pack for every situation. Plus, we were bringing muffins.

Now, here's our travel situation to get to the airport. Technically, if we drove, we live like 15 minutes from the airport.

However, the Montreal transit system has it out for us. So instead of having a short drive over, we have just as long as we had before we lived in the city. We've got to take a bus to the metro (5ish minutes) and then take the metro 10 stops (20ish minutes) and then take the bus to the airport (25ish minutes with no traffic or construction). Basically, they make it more complicated than it needs to be.

As to be expected, the bus to get us to the metro was coming late. Which, I mean, I think this sums it up nicely:

busdrivers_zpstka4qrv4.png

004_zpsae9gjonw.jpg

It was a beautiful day outside, at least.

005_zps2ffspdzo.jpg

But I was starting to get a bit antsy to get going.

When the bus finally arrived though, we got to the metro, took the elevator down and traveled to our next stop. We ended up being some of the first people in line for the bus to the airport, which was good because it quickly got very long and I wanted to sit.

Because it's summer in Montreal, there was a lot of construction. So, we didn't end up getting to the airport until about 4:15. Which was still plenty early for our flight, but still annoying.

Once we arrived we went to grab some Subway because we had a coupon. I don't have any pictures, but it was a typically Subway meal, nothing too exciting.

Bellys full we headed off to drop our bag at bag check and head through security and customs. They do have automatic machines for Americans and Canadians but we'd filled out a paper form so they sent us through to an agent. She was thorough and even stamped Marie's passport (which doesn't often happen), but didn't give us any trouble.

Then we headed to gate 75 and sat down to relax while waiting for the plane. There were a decent amount of people already there, but of course it got busier the closer we got to flight time.

The gate agent asked for people to check their carry-ons and we checked mine because we knew that we'd have to stop by luggage pick up anyway since we weren't headed to Disney that night :(

Now, usually when they start boarding they do a call for any families traveling with children under 5, but the lady was like "Uh, this flight is 80% children, so we aren't going to call for family boarding." Which, actually seemed to speed things along because it seemed like sooner than usual we were seated on the plane.

Because we were flying Air Canada Rouge, they have their in flight entertainment system on your own devices that you connect to the internet. So Marie and I both watched things on our tablets. She watched Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs and I watched Lilo and Stitch. At least, I did until it kept freezing.

stitch_zpsjrupfd8c.gif

It wasn't like I hadn't seen the movie before, but it still just annoyed me. I tried restarting a few times and it didn't really work, so I just decided to nap for the rest of the flight.

We arrived right on time at 10:20, which was great because we were already starting to feel a bit tired after a long day.

006_zpsb30nxsyq.jpg

Fake-o-rail selfie!

Of course, we still had to go stop by to get our luggage and while our main luggage didn't take too long to come out, the carry on that we'd checked ended up taking much longer.

Once we finally had our luggage we stopped by the courtesy phone so that we could call the Quality Inn and they could send a shuttle. They told us to go wait outside at B4 for the shuttle.

007_zps4pfm8jci.jpg

So we went outside and we waited.

And waited.

And waited.

By the time it came, took us back to the hotel and we got checked in, we weren't actually in the room until it was 12:10. Almost two full hours after landing. Which was crazy because the hotel was supposed to be within 1 mile of the airport and I guess technically it is within the mile of the outer reaches of the airport but it just isn't a quick drive.

I didn't take any pictures until the next morning of the room but for the sake of moving things along, I'm going to include them now.

008_zpsi3ffitlh.jpg

Here was the 1 Queen bed in the room. It was okay. The pillows weren't that great.

009_zpsphlobgsh.jpg

Sitting area with table. We didn't even test the couch so I have no clue for quality.

010_zpswcvl6tpn.jpg

Vanity and sink.

011_zpsju1tprmj.jpg

And bathroom.

It was very basic, but it was only $60 for the night and after we'd changed our flights to a day earlier, we didn't feel like shelling out the money to add on the night at Pop. Marie was really wishing that we had and I'll admit that I was too because it certainly wasn't the magical start the vacation that we're used to.

But, we got our things ready for the next day and got to bed. After all, we'd set up our shuttle time back to the airport to be at 6 AM the next day.

Bonus point question
With our shuttle time set for 6 AM. What time did we wake up?

Click for next post

Day 1: "This flight is 80% children"

uh oh....

Saw that title and immediately pictured kids running up and down the aisle, kicking your seatbacks and screaming.
Glad this appears to not be the case.

We got up, did some laundry and went to buy bug spray.

Because of Zika? or just in general?

I know, this is completely riveting stuff.

::yes::

Cute pic!

Look at that little face. It was so hard to say goodbye,

I thought Marie was going with you?

and did a quick run through to make sure we weren't forgetting anything before heading out to the bus stop

I sense foreshadowing...

It's a good thing we did head out early because I forgot my headphones and had to turn back for them.

I knew it!!!
(Seriously, I quoted the previous sentence before I read that.)

However, the Montreal transit system has it out for us. So instead of having a short drive over, we have just as long as we had before we lived in the city. We've got to take a bus to the metro (5ish minutes) and then take the metro 10 stops (20ish minutes) and then take the bus to the airport (25ish minutes with no traffic or construction). Basically, they make it more complicated than it needs to be.

Didn't want to spend the $40 or so for a cab, I presume?
I sure didn't mind taking one to/from the airport when it was on Ruby's company's dime.

:laughing:

That's a really pretty dress, Amber.

it was a typically Subway meal, nothing too exciting.

It never is.

She was thorough and even stamped Marie's passport (which doesn't often happen)

Huh. I was thinking of that... It's weird isn't it? Sometimes they do... sometimes they don't.

Now, usually when they start boarding they do a call for any families traveling with children under 5, but the lady was like "Uh, this flight is 80% children, so we aren't going to call for family boarding." Which, actually seemed to speed things along because it seemed like sooner than usual we were seated on the plane.

There was a Mythbusters episode where they tried several different ways to load the plane.
The fastest? No system at all, just a free-for-all.

Of course, we still had to go stop by to get our luggage and while our main luggage didn't take too long to come out, the carry on that we'd checked ended up taking much longer.

Are you kidding???? "Thanks for helping us out... Now we're going to penalize you for it."

It was very basic, but it was only $60 for the night

Not bad! I may have to take advantage of that next year.

we didn't feel like shelling out the money to add on the night at Pop. Marie was really wishing that we had and I'll admit that I was too because it certainly wasn't the magical start the vacation that we're used to.

I totally get that. The vacation doesn't feel like it's really started yet, right?

With our shuttle time set for 6 AM. What time did we wake up?

4:30

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter