The Silver Dollar City/Dollywood dis

dangeresque49

Earning My Ears
I was disappointed to hear the lack of respect for Silver Dollar City and Dollywood on the pod when the team was discussing the park rankings. Especially given the recent investments in these parks they are now some absolutely some of the best in the country and I think members of the team should consider making a visit to them.

I love the Disney parks and Universal Parks and think they are great experience but prices are so insanely high these days that I just wouldn't always consider them a great value. I think a lot of people rating some of these Parks consider how much they cost and not everybody quite frankly has a great time paying over $100 plus higher-than-average hotel and parking fees only to still miss out on some major rides even if they are making an effort to plan (eg. rise of the resistance lottery).

Both of these park have some really good food options, extensive entertainment offerings, lots of great theming, and a beautiful location. I personally consider Dollywood's Christmas event the best park Christmas event in the country although some say Silver Dollar City's is even superior. The parks are also located in regions where there is a ton of other things to do and more scenic lodging options than much of Orlando.

Disney for years has been raising their prices faster than a lot of other tourist destinations and I think these are two parks/regions where people might be surprised the kind of value they can get for their money for vacation.

I have been scouring Dollywood/Pigeon Forge area for a couple of months now. We have never been to that area of the country and it appears to offer many options for travelers. The lodging has gotten some reviews about bed bugs that does give us hesitation, but that could just be a trend for certain locations; I'm still in research mode.

Parrot Mountain does look very interesting and I think it is something we would enjoy.

While I didn't go to Dollywood (but would like to some time), that area is pretty good for a long weekend getaway.

We are Dollywood AP holders. I don't recall anything said that I took as a lack of respect for Dollywood. I agree about Dollywood at Christmas (and Halloween). The lights and decorations are spectacular, better than anything at WDW since they deprived us of Lights of Winter and Osborne.:sad:

Silver Dollar City Christmas time is spectacular. Consistently voted one of the best in country.
It’s been a couple years since we had SDC passes...and a couple new rides now. May need to look into it as I’m getting a refund for the Disney AP...

What are jokes for 100 Alex?
Yes us in “flyover country” are used to being dismissed. Y’all can keep your coasts and we will continue to enjoy low cost of living, yards that have room for gardens, pools, sheds etc and house far enough apart you cannot reach out and touch neighbors. Not to mention some great outdoor boating and hiking, with hiking in fall especially when the Ozark Mountains are in full color! ;)

If we are doing comparisons, the funnel cakes at Dollywood are infinitely better than the swill served in Epcot.... the red velvet funnel cake at Christmas is heavenly.... I'm drooling now, aren't I.

I was more offended when one of the podcasters (not Bob, either) didn't properly pronounce "Sevierville" some 12 years ago.....:duck:

Yes us in “flyover country” are used to being dismissed. Y’all can keep your coasts and we will continue to enjoy low cost of living, yards that have room for gardens, pools, sheds etc and house far enough apart you cannot reach out and touch neighbors. Not to mention some great outdoor boating and hiking, with hiking in fall especially when the Ozark Mountains are in full color! ;)

I live in NYC and have everything you have! If I could leave for center America I’d do it in a heartbeat!

I was also really disappointed to hear the casual disdain for these parks on the podcast. Frankly, it made me embarrassed for the panelists.

I always assume that Disney theme park people are also General theme park people, although I guess that's not always the case. Dollywood is a world class theme park with charm, exhibits, and music at the Disney level and roller coasters and shopping/handicrafts far surpassing Disney.

Silver Dollar City has raised their profile considerably in the past 10 years. They've turned a small park into a major destination with forward-thinking rides like Outlaw Run and Time Traveler. Most US theme park enthusiasts know this.

Disney does not own the market on great parks in the US or internationally. Alton Towers, Efteling, Europa Park, Nagashima Spa Land, and Ocean Park all beat the pants off DCA, Epcot, and HS in my book.

At the very least, it's a bummer to hear nice people discounting places they've never been. Especially when Disney fanatics are so often discounted.

I was disappointed to hear the lack of respect for Silver Dollar City and Dollywood on the pod when the team was discussing the park rankings. Especially given the recent investments in these parks they are now some absolutely some of the best in the country and I think members of the team should consider making a visit to them.

I love the Disney parks and Universal Parks and think they are great experience but prices are so insanely high these days that I just wouldn't always consider them a great value. I think a lot of people rating some of these Parks consider how much they cost and not everybody quite frankly has a great time paying over $100 plus higher-than-average hotel and parking fees only to still miss out on some major rides even if they are making an effort to plan (eg. rise of the resistance lottery).

Both of these park have some really good food options, extensive entertainment offerings, lots of great theming, and a beautiful location. I personally consider Dollywood's Christmas event the best park Christmas event in the country although some say Silver Dollar City's is even superior. The parks are also located in regions where there is a ton of other things to do and more scenic lodging options than much of Orlando.

Disney for years has been raising their prices faster than a lot of other tourist destinations and I think these are two parks/regions where people might be surprised the kind of value they can get for their money for vacation.
I don't think it was a lack of respect. You have to realize local parks like Silver Dollar City or Dollywood are not in the same league as Disney or Universal. People don't typically plan big vacations to go to those. People instead go to those for a day or weekend trip.

The Trip Advisor list doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. Like Craig mentioned on the podcast people don't really go and review full theme parks. Its also the internet and like Rotten Tomatoes you're going to have varying levels of reviews.

I don't think anyone doubts those smaller local parks are fun, have good food, and good attractions but like I said its hard to compare the two.

I have been scouring Dollywood/Pigeon Forge area for a couple of months now. We have never been to that area of the country and it appears to offer many options for travelers. The lodging has gotten some reviews about bed bugs that does give us hesitation, but that could just be a trend for certain locations; I'm still in research mode.

Parrot Mountain does look very interesting and I think it is something we would enjoy.
As with many tourist areas of that size their options of all sorts of quality and type. I would suggest checking out some of the Airbnb options there are lots of great luxury cabin style places with great views. I have generally heard great things about the the parks official dream more resort.

Disney does not own the market on great parks in the US or internationally. Alton Towers, Efteling, Europa Park, Nagashima Spa Land, and Ocean Park all beat the pants off DCA, Epcot, and HS in my book.
I went to Europa Park last year and was blown away by the amount of things there was to do is specially at that price point. It made me even more disappointed at the lack of rides per dollar that Disney gets especially given how much they charge and how many guests they get year round.

Last edited:
I don't think it was a lack of respect. You have to realize local parks like Silver Dollar City or Dollywood are not in the same league as Disney or Universal. People don't typically plan big vacations to go to those. People instead go to those for a day or weekend trip.

The Trip Advisor list doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. Like Craig mentioned on the podcast people don't really go and review full theme parks. Its also the internet and like Rotten Tomatoes you're going to have varying levels of reviews.

I don't think anyone doubts those smaller local parks are fun, have good food, and good attractions but like I said its hard to compare the two.
Branson gets 8 million visitors per year and the Smoky Mountains get 13. The areas they are in are most definitely geared towards longer vacations than locals. Are they ever going to be in the same league as Disney and Universal? No. But my point was that they are very high quality and arguably a better value and that factors into the way people rate things.

Branson gets 8 million visitors per year and the Smoky Mountains get 13. The areas they are in are most definitely geared towards longer vacations than locals.
People aren't spending more than a day or two at parks in those places though. People who go to WDW or Universal spend 4+ days at those parks typically. Those two spots you mentioned also are not comparable to WDW or Universal in that people stay in those bubbles. Those who go to Branson or the mountains I would imagine likely have a car and go to several different places during their trip. I just don't think that you can compare WDW/UNI to a place like Branson. They are completely different types of vacations IMO.

People aren't spending more than a day or two at parks in those places though. People who go to WDW or Universal spend 4+ days at those parks typically. Those two spots you mentioned also are not comparable to WDW or Universal in that people stay in those bubbles. Those who go to Branson or the mountains I would imagine likely have a car and go to several different places during their trip. I just don't think that you can compare WDW/UNI to a place like Branson. They are completely different types of vacations IMO.
I get that but the rankings that started this discussion were specifically on a 1 park basis. I was just trying to point out that they regions are also solid and popular vacations even if you only spend a day or two in the Park.

Frankly, it made me embarrassed for the panelists.

Please don’t be embarrassed for me. Ive never heard of Silver Dollar City. I’m okay with that. You should be too.

I always assume that Disney theme park people are also General theme park people, although I guess that's not always the case.

Your assumption is incorrect. I’m a Disney fan. Haven’t been to an amusement park in many many years that didn’t have the word Disney somewhere in the name.

I get that but the rankings that started this discussion were specifically on a 1 park basis. I was just trying to point out that they regions are also solid and popular vacations even if you only spend a day or two in the Park.
And I don't put much into the rankings. To me these rankings mean nothing. They really shouldn't mean much to anyone.

hey i wouldnt complain to much here in new england we dont have many theme parks or amusement parks that people talk about

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter