The Sheraton Vistana Resort Thread (key links on p.1)

Our reservation through RCI indicates the 2 bedroom sleeps "6 private / 6 maximum". Does that mean there is no sleeper sofa? I assume it means a king or queen in the master and 2 doubles in the 2nd bedroom, but I thought all units had a sleeper sofa. Or does it mean that there are two singles in the 2nd bedroom, and the sleeper sofa? (But that isn't 6 private?) We are fine with either we have only 4 people - DW and I in the master, DD and DMIL in the 2nd - I am just trying to get a feel for what we have.

When I go to the website - the only two bedrooms I see that sleep "6 maximum" are at Courts and Falls, and in both cases have twin beds - so maybe that answers that question. However, when I go to the website - they list rooms that skeep "6 private / 4 maximum" , "6 private / 6 maximum" and "6 private / 8 maximum" as separate categories. So I'm just as confused as ever.

Edit: OK - I was impatient and I called....apparently even though RCI shows it as such - there is no such thing as 6 private / 6 maximum, so we are definitely in a 6 private / 4 maximum - which means either "Courts" or "Falls". This leads to another question - I put in a request for "Courts" as it seems more central...any recommendation of "Courts" versus "Falls"??

2nd Edit: I was looking at the map of the resort - and it said that "Falls" has Sunday check-in, while "Courts" has Saturday and Sunday check-in, so that seems like we will be in "Courts" anyways since we have a Saturday check-in.

Last edited:
Our reservation through RCI indicates the 2 bedroom sleeps "6 private / 6 maximum". Does that mean there is no sleeper sofa? I assume it means a king or queen in the master and 2 doubles in the 2nd bedroom, but I thought all units had a sleeper sofa. Or does it mean that there are two singles in the 2nd bedroom, and the sleeper sofa? (But that isn't 6 private?) We are fine with either we have only 4 people - DW and I in the master, DD and DMIL in the 2nd - I am just trying to get a feel for what we have.

When I go to the website - the only two bedrooms I see that sleep "6 maximum" are at Courts and Falls, and in both cases have twin beds - so maybe that answers that question. However, when I go to the website - they list rooms that skeep "6 private / 4 maximum" , "6 private / 6 maximum" and "6 private / 8 maximum" as separate categories. So I'm just as confused as ever.

Edit: OK - I was impatient and I called....apparently even though RCI shows it as such - there is no such thing as 6 private / 6 maximum, so we are definitely in a 6 private / 4 maximum - which means either "Courts" or "Falls". This leads to another question - I put in a request for "Courts" as it seems more central...any recommendation of "Courts" versus "Falls"??

2nd Edit: I was looking at the map of the resort - and it said that "Falls" has Sunday check-in, while "Courts" has Saturday and Sunday check-in, so that seems like we will be in "Courts" anyways since we have a Saturday check-in.
And there you have it!
A perfect counterpoint to my post yesterday about how confusing these "sleep" numbers can be; thanks Pete!
So yes, if your RCI exchange is a 6/4 on Saturday, there is a really good chance you will be in a lower unit in Courts. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. I am biased, but I think Courts is great for the central location and quiet units. But again, there is still an outside chance that they assign you somewhere completely different because they can assign villas as run of resort as long as it is a better (more beds) unit.

So we're looking at sections of Vistana and trying to decide which one to request. Looking for quiet near a good pool. It's through Skyauction and it's a 2 bedroom that sleeps 8. Opinions?
My opinion (you've probably already read it)is that if you haven't been to Vistana yet, take what they assign you. Until you know the resort, it is hard to know how you define these things.

Quiet and near a pool are generally mutually exclusive. But, the pools are all very centrally located and accessible to all sections. I have seen posts from people complaining that they had to drive to a pool, but these generally leave me bewildered. Personally there are no villas so far from a pool that I would feel the need to drive, even with a small cooler of drinks and other paraphernalia. Longest walk might be about 3 city blocks from the farthest reaches of Palms (Bldg 11/12) to the Falls/Courts/Spas pool complex.

Quiet also tends to rule out the two largest sections of the resort, Lakes and Cascades. Because they are densely packed with higher rise villas, and the ensuing vehicle and foot traffic, I wouldn't characterise either of these sections as quiet, but they are the most often requested.

After our first visit many years ago now, we started to figure out what was important to us, and what we liked/disliked about the various sections. We actually bought our ownership a bit quick because we didn't know the resort well enough, but luckily fate was looking out for us and put us in a great location. We love Courts, but we know it is one of the less popular sections; everyone seems to enjoy being packed together in the newest Lakes/Cascades buildings (is an elevator really that important?) The only section I personally like better than Courts is Spas, and we can't do the Friday checkin for Spas section.

If you feel you really want to put in a request (it is by no means mandatory), keep it generic, "a quiet unit away from the major roadways, and a short walk to Fountains, Cascades, or Spas pool" would be a good generic request.

And there you have it!
A perfect counterpoint to my post yesterday about how confusing these "sleep" numbers can be; thanks Pete!
So yes, if your RCI exchange is a 6/4 on Saturday, there is a really good chance you will be in a lower unit in Courts. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. I am biased, but I think Courts is great for the central location and quiet units. But again, there is still an outside chance that they assign you somewhere completely different because they can assign villas as run of resort as long as it is a better (more beds) unit.

Thanks for the reply. I have no problem with being given a bigger unit! I do actually like the idea of being on the first floor, as MIL will have an easier time coming in and out. (She can walk OK, but struggles a bit with stairs.)

The last sentence, away from major roadways is exactly what we were thinking! Pools is low on the priority list. If we are gonna walk around Disney all day, a 5 minute walk to a pool won't kill us. And we have a Friday check in

After a year away from Vistana we are going back this fall!! Man we've missed this place.

I've been going to Vistana every year since 2010 (except for 2016) - 3 years with friends who are owners and 3 years as a "hotel guest" - and then a few posts (pages) back I read something about the 1 in 4 rule and was a little scared about what it was and that it may apply to me, a non-owner, so, I called Sheraton directly for clarification.

The gentleman on the phone said that the rule didn't apply to me because I wasn't an exchanger, so, I can book as many times as I want. (He then asked if I go so often, why haven't I bought in?)

I'm now looking at skyauction for options. I can't wait!

FrankieD

After a year away from Vistana we are going back this fall!! Man we've missed this place.

I've been going to Vistana every year since 2010 (except for 2016) - 3 years with friends who are owners and 3 years as a "hotel guest" - and then a few posts (pages) back I read something about the 1 in 4 rule and was a little scared about what it was and that it may apply to me, a non-owner, so, I called Sheraton directly for clarification.

Thanks for the update. That is good for everyone to know.

The gentleman on the phone said that the rule didn't apply to me because I wasn't an exchanger, so, I can book as many times as I want. (He then asked if I go so often, why haven't I bought in?)

I'm now looking at skyauction for options. I can't wait!

FrankieD
To which you reply, "Why buy in when I can book on skyauction (or elsewhere) for less than the annual maintenance fees with absolutely no long-term commitment?" You are absolutely doin' it right!

Hi

I just did my diamond lane check in - we're going in 10 days!! There was a note saying that the hotel can't hold perishable food items. Is this true? We were hoping to do our grocery shop before arriving. Every timeshare we've ever stayed at in Orlando has had a fridge and freezer for us to store stuff in (usually at Bell Services) if our room wasn't ready. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Hi

I just did my diamond lane check in - we're going in 10 days!! There was a note saying that the hotel can't hold perishable food items. Is this true? We were hoping to do our grocery shop before arriving. Every timeshare we've ever stayed at in Orlando has had a fridge and freezer for us to store stuff in (usually at Bell Services) if our room wasn't ready. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Hmmm, don't know about bell services, I have only ever had them hold luggage (so I had room to go get groceries). You cannot see the storage room directly (off to the right near the main entrance to the welcome centre), but it is possible that they don't have room for a fridge/freezer in there, or it could be that they are simply limiting liability after some incident. If it is a problem at the bell station, I would probably head over to the Marketplace or Zimmies and ask it they can pop the items into their cooler for me. In general, I have found all of the staff very helpful and willing to bend the rules to make their guests happy; if you do get one who stonewalls, just try a different approach.

Also note that considering when you are going (less busy period), there is a pretty good chance you will go straight to your villa unless you are arriving gawd awful early. In all our visits, we have only had to wait for our villa once (that time we went for lunch/groceries), and we always visit at March break mostly arriving around noon just ahead of the huddled masses.

Perfect. Thanks we are landing at 1030 then have to get a car and make a few stops so we won't be there before 1. Hopefully the villa will be ready! If not I'll be sure to ask around.

Perfect. Thanks we are landing at 1030 then have to get a car and make a few stops so we won't be there before 1. Hopefully the villa will be ready! If not I'll be sure to ask around.
Pretty close to the time we usually land. If I might suggest, get your car (assume you are renting) and hit the resort first. You will probably be at the resort around noon and on Fri-Sun, the lines at reception start building quickly after that time. This should ultimately save you some time at check-in.

In the best case, you are usually going straight into the villa so you can unload bags and head back out for lunch and groceries. If you have kids along and they are old/responsible enough just grab a sandwich at the Marketplace and send them to the pool after lunch so you can grocery shop without an audience. If the villa isn't ready, drop the bags with the bell team if you need the space in the car and head out for the errands. By the time you return your villa will be sure to be ready, and you won't be waiting in the (by then) really long lineup. Note that the best grocery spots (Publix, Walmart, Target) are all a pretty short drive, so you aren't doing a lot of extra driving.

Thanks. We are planning on going to Costco though - so going to the resort first will be sort of out of the way........but if the lines are that long maybe we should think about it. The kids are under 6 so they have to come with us (going alone would be a lot easier) but I'll speak to my husband about this idea and see what he says. I hadn't thought of getting shorter lines at the resort. Thanks!

Have never been, but there are a couple nearby. One fairly close to the airport on US17, they call it a Costco Business Centre, but it appears to have all the normal services. The other is near Mall at Millenia, Conroy exit off I-4 a bit north of Universal. That one is near one of our favorite burger joints, Burger 21 (world's best gluten free burgers).

We personally avoid Costco when flying because it tempts us to buy way more than we need and we end up leaving behind/wasting stuff. Learned that lesson the hard way on trips other than Orlando; although the giant bottle of tequila and bag of limes at Costco in Cabo provided a full week of frozen Margaritas...
:drinking1:beach:

Lol we are heading to the one in mellenia. I have a list which we will follow strictly to try to avoid over buying. Plus, we want to visit the liquor store as we've never seen a Costco one (we're Canadian). It's not exactly near by but it's not terribly out of the way.

Thanks for the information. We will be driving from Maryland for a 2 week stay and not sure if we want to take stuff with us or pick it up down there.

Thanks for the information. We will be driving from Maryland for a 2 week stay and not sure if we want to take stuff with us or pick it up down there.
If cost is a concern, bring stuff along; if space in your vehicle is a concern, get it there. From what I understand many Americans find groceries more expensive in Orlando; as a Canadian, I find them pretty darn reasonable. But, they do take up a lot of room and if you have four in the car for a very long drive the extra space might be appreciated. Personally, we bring along a few essentials; coffee beans, grinder and French press, salt and pepper, a little bit of cooking oil, favorite salad dressing; that sort of thing. No more than a large grocery bag of stuff, and generally the things you don't want to buy full size and end up hauling home.

Again, lots of good grocery options nearby (just avoid Goodings at the Crossroads), and you might buy different food from home. We tend to do more ready-to-eat or frozen convenience food than we would ever do at home for the speed and convenience. You are on vacation after all!

And a quick tip for @uandmfan, there is a liquor store in the same building as the Publix nearby on Vineland that is probably the closest to the resort. There is also an ABC Liquors (large chain) up 535 past the Crossroads near WinnDixie that is also handy. Also note that beer and wine are sold in all the grocery stores and Costco I expect. Don't know about liquor at Costco in FL; in Myrtle Beach SC, Costco has a liquor outlet as a separate part of the same building. They do not sell liquor in the main part of the warehouse there, probably to comply with state licensing and opening hour rules.

what is the longest anyone has stayed at the Vistana? Tentatively thinking about Dec / Jan and possible staying for 3 - 4 weeks. Does this mean my only option is booking directly through Sheraton?

what is the longest anyone has stayed at the Vistana? Tentatively thinking about Dec / Jan and possible staying for 3 - 4 weeks. Does this mean my only option is booking directly through Sheraton?
If you want to be absolutely assured of staying in the same unit, then I would book through Sheraton. If you are going to string together multiple one week reservations through other channels like RCI/II, skyauction, or renting from owners, then you may need to change villas at the end of a week. However, if your reservations are all for the same class of unit, and you let the resort know (Diamond Lane), they will TRY to keep you in the same unit throughout if they can. We have successfully strung together reservations from two sources into a single stay in the same villa this way.
Booking direct with Sheraton can get expensive quickly, so I would try to find my own weeks. Note that the 1 in 4 rules generally don't apply to consecutive weeks, and the 1 in 4 rule apparently only applies to exchanges, so you can still go through skyauction or other discount travel resellers for additional weeks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter