The Sheraton Vistana Resort Thread (key links on p.1)

I keep seeing photos in reviews online.. all of the units look so different, I have no idea which section to request. My parents own at Marriott Sabal Palms and gave us a guest certificate for the week. I guess they had some use it or lose it opportunity for a free week so I was lucky enough to get it :)

We check in November 15, a Friday, does that make a difference in what's available? 2 bedroom. Confirmation says the second bedroom will have two full beds, I've read to make sure they don't put me in a unit with twins.

I also keep reading about a problem with housekeeping. Shoddy cleaning, stained furniture, etc. Any idea which buildings have the older furnishings?
Saw some mention of roaches and rodents... I know it's Florida, but eww.

We are a couple in our early 30s, plus my older sister and her husband. I would be like to be away from the road, not far from a fun pool (and bar) and in a newer building if you think that makes much of a difference.

Thanks for any advice!

With a Friday check-in and confirmation that you will have a second bedroom with two full beds, my best guess is that you will be assigned to either Spas, Cascades, Lakes or Fountains.

We certainly didn't see any sign of shoddy housekeeping on our August stay. All the furnishings look and feel like new. Nothing old or worn our, and certainly nothing that showed any kind of damage. No critters either, except for some funny looking ducks and the bazillion little lizards that are everywhere in Florida.

Spas would be a good fit, since its right beside the Super pool (one of the three pools that are open until 1 am) and Zimmie's bar is adjacent to the pool. On the other side of the resort, the Fountains pool is also open until 1 am and features the Tacky Tiki Bar. Cascades also has a pool that's open late, but it has the water sprinklers and waterfall that seems to draw alot of families with smaller kids, so if you are all adults then the Super pool would probably be your best bet (the Fountains pool sometimes shows kids movies on a large screen in the evenings).

I don't think you have to worry about an "old" building. Many of the buildings are older (as the resort was built in stages starting back in the 80's, I think) however everything has been refurbished over the last few years. Ceramic tile, granite countertops, even the exteriors all look freshly painted and the gardens are superbly manicured. Really, really nice. I think you should be very pleased (I know we were....enough to buy two units when we came home).

If walking is a concern, you will want to note that the only buildings with elevators are found in Cascades and Lakes. Any other buildings, you may be walking up one or two flights of stairs to access your unit.

I am sure Banker will also be able to add in his great advice as well! :thumbsup2

Thanks for the tips, Gina!

At the end of the day, it's a virtual free trip, so I can't complain! Just doing my research so I set us up for success ;)

We are looking to travel the first week of Feb and plan to stay at the Vistana in a 2br.. if we reserve through the Sheraton website with a military discount we get a decent rate with flexible terms (important with my husband being active duty and I work in ministry). It'll be myself, my husband and our 4 boys (6, 7, 9 & 12 when we travel).

We've never stayed at the Vistana, only Bonnet Creek and Windsor Hills. I tried to read through the thread and search for my questions but can't find an exact answer (or recent one) so I was hoping someone more familiar with the resort could give me some tips on where to request my unit..

If we are arriving on a Saturday and leaving the following Friday is it possible to request a unit in a building with double beds in the second bedroom? Since we are traveling so early in the year I'm not sure we care as much about pools as we have at other times of year but being close to a playground or somewhere for the kids to burn energy might be helpful as we are only spending 4 days in the parks..

Thanks in advance for any tips... I am normally planning way i advance but my vacation dates got swapped around because I have a ministry conference during the week we originally planned for! That's okay... sooner is ALWAYS better than later! ;)

We are looking to travel the first week of Feb and plan to stay at the Vistana in a 2br.. if we reserve through the Sheraton website with a military discount we get a decent rate with flexible terms (important with my husband being active duty and I work in ministry). It'll be myself, my husband and our 4 boys (6, 7, 9 & 12 when we travel).

We've never stayed at the Vistana, only Bonnet Creek and Windsor Hills. I tried to read through the thread and search for my questions but can't find an exact answer (or recent one) so I was hoping someone more familiar with the resort could give me some tips on where to request my unit..

If we are arriving on a Saturday and leaving the following Friday is it possible to request a unit in a building with double beds in the second bedroom? Since we are traveling so early in the year I'm not sure we care as much about pools as we have at other times of year but being close to a playground or somewhere for the kids to burn energy might be helpful as we are only spending 4 days in the parks..

Thanks in advance for any tips... I am normally planning way i advance but my vacation dates got swapped around because I have a ministry conference during the week we originally planned for! That's okay... sooner is ALWAYS better than later! ;)

First, make sure you book a "sleeps 8" configuration. With a Saturday checkin, you're almost there. You could possibly be placed in an upper in Courts (which is pretty close to a 3BR with its sleeping loft). Not such bad thing as it is actually very handy to playgrounds, and some of the best pools (no matter what time of year, the pools are fun). Honestly, if your boys are at all active, it really doesn't matter which section you will be placed in. I know most people say the resort is huge, and I am gobsmacked when people say they have to drive to the pools. The resort is about 3 by 3 city blocks in size; your crew should be able to walk to anything in minutes.

I keep seeing photos in reviews online.. all of the units look so different, I have no idea which section to request. My parents own at Marriott Sabal Palms and gave us a guest certificate for the week. I guess they had some use it or lose it opportunity for a free week so I was lucky enough to get it :)

We check in November 15, a Friday, does that make a difference in what's available? 2 bedroom. Confirmation says the second bedroom will have two full beds, I've read to make sure they don't put me in a unit with twins.

I also keep reading about a problem with housekeeping. Shoddy cleaning, stained furniture, etc. Any idea which buildings have the older furnishings?
Saw some mention of roaches and rodents... I know it's Florida, but eww.

We are a couple in our early 30s, plus my older sister and her husband. I would be like to be away from the road, not far from a fun pool (and bar) and in a newer building if you think that makes much of a difference.

Thanks for any advice!

It really sounds like you have been searching back into old tripadvisor reports. Since the full refurbishment that ended 2 years ago, all interiors are so similar you'd be hard pressed to figure out what section you are in from the interior. All muted beiges, granite and wood. During the worst of the economic crisis, housekeeping suffered a bit as many owners defaulted on maintenance fees; but that has been corrected as the economy has improved. We never ever felt things were unclean, only that housekeeping was hurried and slow to respond to special requests.

Vistana is right next door to Marriot, and they are very competitive properties, but to me Vistana feels more like what I associate with a resort, Marriot is more like a huge hotel property.

First, make sure you book a "sleeps 8" configuration. With a Saturday checkin, you're almost there. You could possibly be placed in an upper in Courts (which is pretty close to a 3BR with its sleeping loft). Not such bad thing as it is actually very handy to playgrounds, and some of the best pools (no matter what time of year, the pools are fun). Honestly, if your boys are at all active, it really doesn't matter which section you will be placed in. I know most people say the resort is huge, and I am gobsmacked when people say they have to drive to the pools. The resort is about 3 by 3 city blocks in size; your crew should be able to walk to anything in minutes.

Thank you for all your help! We are not afraid to walk a little.. I just wasn't sure how it was laid out because sometimes maps can be deceiving so as long at it's pedestrian friendly we can (and will) walk. It's more hassle to load the boys into the car to drive such a short distance. Since I am booking through the Sheraton website is there a place to select a sleeps 8 configuration? I looked it over a few times and the most info it offers is "1 king, 2 single beds" and that is for all the rates... That's why I assumed I'd need to send my requests later, if I can book the right type of bed configuration from the start that's even better..

Thank you for all your help! We are not afraid to walk a little.. I just wasn't sure how it was laid out because sometimes maps can be deceiving so as long at it's pedestrian friendly we can (and will) walk. It's more hassle to load the boys into the car to drive such a short distance. Since I am booking through the Sheraton website is there a place to select a sleeps 8 configuration? I looked it over a few times and the most info it offers is "1 king, 2 single beds" and that is for all the rates... That's why I assumed I'd need to send my requests later, if I can book the right type of bed configuration from the start that's even better..

I'm wondering if Sheraton has a special link for the military discount that is placing you in the Courts/Falls sections? Those are the two sections with single beds, but aside from that shortcoming two of best located sections in the resort. The basic description of a 2 Bedroom villa on the Sheraton Starwood Hotels Site here actually indicates double beds and sleeps 8. I honestly don't know why you would be seeing singles - but when in doubt, call to confirm!

I would really make sure that you know the room class you are booking. Sheraton is pretty good about moving people around to accommodate their requests within their booked room class, but can be pretty sticky about moving people into a different room class.

I'm wondering if Sheraton has a special link for the military discount that is placing you in the Courts/Falls sections? Those are the two sections with single beds, but aside from that shortcoming two of best located sections in the resort. The basic description of a 2 Bedroom villa on the Sheraton Starwood Hotels Site here actually indicates double beds and sleeps 8. I honestly don't know why you would be seeing singles - but when in doubt, call to confirm!

I would really make sure that you know the room class you are booking. Sheraton is pretty good about moving people around to accommodate their requests within their booked room class, but can be pretty sticky about moving people into a different room class.

I just ran a reservation quote via the Sheraton website for the last two weeks of August, and the only two-bedroom room configuration that is coming up is the King + 2 singles. That's using any default rate or package rate. I am guessing that there must be something wonky with the website, and second your suggestion to call. ::yes::

We arrive November 16 through an II getaway. Staying 3 nights at Kidani prior. Filled out the Diamond Lane request yesterday. Requested Cascades top floor (love the skylight) building 2, 15 or 16 ( kids are 6, 4 and 1 yo... Love the Cascades pool and love being close).
This will be our third time staying at Vistana.

Something new we learned this year is that there are cribs and high chairs available for no charge. Past visits we needed to bring both due to where we stayed prior to arriving at SVR.

Some of the buildings seem to have more modern furnishings, as far as I can see in photos. Which buildings are these?

Are there iPod/phone docks in the villas for playing music?

Sheraton's website says there are some renovations going on now. What is closed (mid November) and will it put a damper on things?

Best place for a drink? Any happy hours?

Is anything in walking distance of the resort?

Thanks!

Some of the buildings seem to have more modern furnishings, as far as I can see in photos. Which buildings are these?

it's probably more an issue of personal preference, as all areas of the resort have been completely renovated in the last 5 years:

Fountains I - Aug. 2008
Fountains II - Feb. 2009
Falls - May 2009
Springs - June 2009
Cascades - May 2010
Courts - Aug. 2010
Spas - Jan. 2011

i posted some pictures of my villa in the lakes area earlier. here is the link.

also, you can look at these pictures of the different villas to help decide which area you prefer.

http://www.starwoodvacationnetwork.com/sheraton-vistana-resort/villas/

probably depends on where you are in the resort...but i would not expect to be close enough to walk anywhere outside of the resort.

As Charles indicates above, fully renovated. Actually the dates listed were the original proposed dates. The renovations in our section (Courts) finished about a year behind schedule - that's good news for the furnishings as they are that much newer.

Are there iPod/phone docks in the villas for playing music?

Every unit has a Bose sound system in the entertainment centre. I am an Android, so I can't use iDocks; not really sure if it has one. It does have an aux in tho, I just jack in with mini-jack.

Sheraton's website says there are some renovations going on now. What is closed (mid November) and will it put a damper on things?

This is a really large resort, so like Disney something is ALWAYS undergoing upgrading. There is an ongoing rework of the Zimmies area going on into 2014, so that is most probably it. The bar area renovations are announced as complete, the restaurant area may be closed (but there are other dining options on resort).

Best place for a drink? Any happy hours?
There are 3 bars and they are pretty consistent, pick the one closest to your unit. All offer daily drink specials, no specific happy hour.

Thanks!

It's not in the densest area, so there is not a lot. There is a Walgreens, a couple of restaurants, Starbucks (although that is also served at the Marketplace), fast food, dollar store and mini-golf all within a 5-10 minute walk.

Thanks for the great advice! I really appreciate it.

Is there any (legal) way to cut through by foot to the Marriott World Center, maybe through Royal Palms? My parents own at Sabal and it might be fun to spend an evening at the hotel.

Thanks!

Thanks for the great advice! I really appreciate it.

Is there any (legal) way to cut through by foot to the Marriott World Center, maybe through Royal Palms? My parents own at Sabal and it might be fun to spend an evening at the hotel.

Thanks!

Not really, there is about an 8' wall surrounding the Vistana property, so you would need some climbing gear to get over. If you could get over, the parking garage for The main Marriot building is about 10 feet away at the end of Falls Blvd.

Looking on Google maps, you could walk out the southernmost exit of Vistana and walk about a block to what looks to be an entrance at the west end of Vacation Way. There still might be a considerable walk across the Marriot complex and your parents would probably need to inform security of your arrival.

So excited for my SVR vacation in 7 days! Woohoo!

Some questions:

What grocery stores are close by? I do not want Wal-Mart since it's so close to Christmas and I imagine an absolute zoo.

I was told that Zimmies would be closed during my visit, but just got my Diamond Lane Check-In update with Christmas Dinner at Zimmies advertised. I'm going to call tomorrow, but does anyone know if Zimmies is indeed closed right now?

The weather seems warm enough to swim and absolutely delightful. Are the poolside bars open?

Anyone there right now that would like to pass along any Christmas decorations? We arrive on Saturday. I hate to go buy something if someone else has decorations they no longer need.

So excited for my SVR vacation in 7 days! Woohoo!

Some questions:

What grocery stores are close by? I do not want Wal-Mart since it's so close to Christmas and I imagine an absolute zoo.

Nearest full grocery is Publix on Vineland (8145 Vineland Ave). Go the long way around (via I-Drive) to avoid the traffic around the outlet mall. There is also a Winn-Dixie just past the Crossroads on S. Apopka Vineland Rd. (11957), but Publix is much nicer and traffic near the Crossroads is always an issue. For dietary concerns I would recommend Whole Foods at 8003 Turkey Lake Road.

I was told that Zimmies would be closed during my visit, but just got my Diamond Lane Check-In update with Christmas Dinner at Zimmies advertised. I'm going to call tomorrow, but does anyone know if Zimmies is indeed closed right now?

The Zimmies refit was a multi-part project over several months. There is a pretty good chance that they would be open if they are advertising a dinner there.

The weather seems warm enough to swim and absolutely delightful. Are the poolside bars open?

The poolside bars are open year-round.

Anyone there right now that would like to pass along any Christmas decorations? We arrive on Saturday. I hate to go buy something if someone else has decorations they no longer need.

Hope you have a great Christmas at SVR; I can't imagine Christmas without the snow and cold!

A question for everyone!

Does anyone recall if there is a blender and muffin tins in the kitchens of the 2 bedrooms?

I am hoping to make smoothies and homemade muffins for breakfast on our 2 week trip in August....but quite honestly, we made minimal use of the kitchen on our last stay, and I'm not 100% sure which items are in the cupboards.

A question for everyone!

Does anyone recall if there is a blender and muffin tins in the kitchens of the 2 bedrooms?

I am hoping to make smoothies and homemade muffins for breakfast on our 2 week trip in August....but quite honestly, we made minimal use of the kitchen on our last stay, and I'm not 100% sure which items are in the cupboards.

Am I imagining it (or confusing it with somewhere else that I have stayed), I was thinking that someone had posted photos of the contents of kitchen here someplace... Good luck finding it, though! :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter