The Running Thread - 2017

Discussion in 'runDisney' started by LSUlakes, Jan 3, 2017.

1. LSUlakes

LSUlakes DIS Veteran

This week we have the following folks with races:

21 - @Dopeyintraining - International Peace Day 10k (59:00 / N/A)
    22 - @sky13 - Disneyland Paris 5k (NG / N/A)
    23 - sky13 - Disneyland Paris 10k (NG / N/A)
    23 - @The Expert - Disneyland Paris 10k (NG / N/A)
    23 - @PaDisneyCouple (Mr) - YRDC Half Marathon (2:15:00 / N/A)
    24 - The Expert - Disneyland Paris Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
    24 - @MommaoffherRocker - Disneyland Paris Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
    24 - sky13 - Disneyland Paris Half Marathon (Finish / N/A)
    24 - @roxymama - Chicago Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
    24 - @Anisum - Ocean City 10 Miler (NG / N/A)
    24 - @derekleigh - Tanger Outlet 5k (22:30 / N/A)
    24 - @cadek - OCNJ Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
    24 - @pixarmom - DoLittle 10k (NG / N/A)

Best of luck to each of you this week! If you have a revision you would like to make or if anyone else has a race they would like to add just let me know. We look forward to hearing how your race went!!

2. roxymama

roxymama DIS Veteran

My main goal for my Chicago HM this weekend is to PR (since I've only ever ran a disney HM with photostops, etc.) So that would be a 2:27:24 or better. I have some sub-goals in mind that are a bit more aggressive (2:16 was my subtracting character lines from my official time "moving" time. So it'd be nice to replicate that in a nonstop race.) But it's going to be the hottest weekend we've had almost all summer and very sunny. So I'm preparing myself mentally for all scenarios. But being optimistic.

sourire, pixarmom, LSUlakes and 6 others like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. roxymama

roxymama DIS Veteran

ATTQOTD: This may be one others can identify with. I used to try to get faster every single time I went on a run. Even a short 20 minute Couch 2 5k run was an opportunity for me to try to push faster. Boy did that result in some not great feeling muscles and ouchy knees. It also made running 30 minutes or 40 minutes seem impossible at the time. I never realized I had it in me to run an hour until I realized it was ok to slow down...even when running fast for me, I didn't have to run my fastest to get better in training. Mornings of waking up and barely being able to walk from my bed to the bathroom...yeah that was a hard lesson to learn. I'm glad I now train at all different speeds.

Edited because I forgot a good one from my first year running: Wore shoes that I'd put a bazillion miles and over a year of running on to my first 10k and they were essentially devoid of any cushion and the soles were shot. I didn't know better and ended up not being able to run for a few weeks after my race, because it felt like the worst bruise everytime I put my shoes back on. The arch support part was actually poking up into my foot!!! Once I got the light-bulb to get new shoes it felt 1000% better to run. I've since learned my lesson and am on a much shorter turnover of shoes.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    evenstar, sourire, KSellers88 and 4 others like this.
  5. BikeFan

BikeFan Mouseketeer

ATTQOTD: I have two painful lessons to share:

1. Chafing - the struggle is real, and I've gotten the bloody nipples to prove it! Most every runner knows this by now. The longer you're going to be out there, the more important your clothing becomes.

2. Heat/humidity is no joke, and will kick your behind! Back in 2012 when I first started running seriously, I crashed and burned in the hilly final 3.1 of my first half marathon in May of that year, and was eager to make up for it in my next half in Sept. on a much flatter course. This race was pancake flat in a beach town, and I figured it was an easy PR. Although it was nearly 80 degrees and 80 percent humidity at the 7:30AM start, I was overconfident about my ability to hold goal pace in these conditions, and lined up next to the 1:45 pacer ready to roll. I was very, very wrong. By mile 3 I knew I couldn't hold the pace, and my PR attempt became a death march. I was grabbing two cups of water and sports drink at every aid station, and still felt dehydrated and exhausted. I was losing so many minerals in my perspiration it was actually milky white (only time that's ever happened), and I felt slightly drunk. To this day, that half is my worst time for any half I've actually tried to race, and it was a humbling lesson. I'm just fortunate I injured nothing more than my pride. I now pay a lot more attention to the weather, and if it's going to be hot or humid, I just run an easy pace and don't worry about the clock.

evenstar, sourire, KSellers88 and 4 others like this.
  6. Nole95

Nole95 DIS Veteran

Best lesson I learned was to not run a race in old shoes that are near the end of their lifespan. My first half was W&D 2012, and I was in a pair of running shoes I had been training in for months. About halfway through, my feet and legs were absolutely killing me. It was a painful struggle to the finish line. Now, I track every mile on my shoes and be sure to break new shoes in that will still be in good shape on race day.

I also used to be one that would try to run each training run better than the last. It never really paid off. Last year, I started training with the Hansons method and made sure to stick to the recommended paces of each run. It has worked wonders for my running. I don't feel as wore out after every run and come race day, I noticed that it really does pay dividends.

evenstar, sourire, LSUlakes and 2 others like this.
  7. AbbyJaws2003

AbbyJaws2003 Burdened with glorious purpose...

DITTO!!! I was just going to write this actually. The need to push limits every run was making me not sure I even liked running and hurting more than I should have been. Once I learned that you don't have to push it every single run and that the long runs SHOULD be slower than race pace is when I actually started truly enjoying it! I still have to tell myself to calm down sometimes, but over all it has really helped.

8. rteetz

rteetz Rumors and News Moderator Moderator

Don’t eat at Ohana the night before a race!

Body glide is your friend.

Fuel.

Side note: tomorrow is the first day of fall. Instead of decreasing temperatures our temps are rising. It will be 90 degrees tomorrow IN WISCONSIN! Um, thanks but no thanks Mother Nature.

evenstar, sourire, pixarmom and 5 others like this.
  9. ZellyB

ZellyB DIS Veteran

Don't push yourself to run through a legitimate injury. It's tough sometimes to distinguish between just normal sore/tired and true injury. I ignored a nagging hamstring and continued running and altered my gait to protect it and ended up with a major groin pull that sidelined me for weeks. It was really stupid in hindsight and I've TRIED to be smarter about backing off when I have a minor injury rather than pushing through and ending up with a major one.

10. SheHulk

SheHulk Smashing runDisney events

ATTQOTD: I'm not sure this is a running lesson exactly, but Diet is so much more important than exercise for losing weight/keeping it off. You can't out-run your fork.

11. JClimacus

JClimacus Mouseketeer

I agree about the "you can do it." If you got the medal, you already did it, right? Other than that, the medal is awesome. Better than I hoped.

pixarmom likes this.
  12. Chaitali

Chaitali DIS Veteran

Running lessons... I agree with everyone about the learning that I shouldn't run each run at the same speed and try to do it as fast as I could. Learning what easy runs are supposed to feel like was definitely important.

Another one I haven't seen mentioned is that non-running shoes are really important to. I can't expect to spend all day at work in uncomfortable heels and have my feet be as health as possible for running.

13. JClimacus

JClimacus Mouseketeer

ATTQOTD: I learned the same lessons as @ZellyB and @LSUlakes. My half PR is actually on a race on which I pulled a calf muscle at mile 8. Rather than stop or slow down, I powered through it. I got my PR, but the injury led to a string of other injuries and I was injured for the better part of a year. Not worth it.

As far as fueling for long runs, I sometimes do the "potato hack" diet to drop weight. (On this diet, you eat nothing but potatoes for some number of days, typically 3 to 5). They advise you not to do strenuous exercise while you are on it. Of course I had to see for myself. I had no problem running 4 and 8 miles while potato hacking. So I figured 15 would be no problem. You can guess the result: At mile 12, I was so out of energy I was ready to pass out. I stopped, rested a while, and carefully walked back to my car feeling nauseous. Lesson learned.

LSUlakes and DopeyBadger like this.
  14. JClimacus

JClimacus Mouseketeer

What advice is that? I always bring my medals with me on the plane.

EDIT: Just looked at it. I see what you are getting at!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  15. BuckeyeBama

BuckeyeBama You are stronger than you think.

My ATTQOTD - My #1 lesson learned - slow down. Running slower has made me so much faster and less injury prone.

16. PrincessV

PrincessV DIS Veteran

ATTQOTD: That I hate racing for time :)

mrsg00fy, LSUlakes and DopeyBadger like this.
  17. michigandergirl

michigandergirl DIS Veteran

MRI results are in: Grade 1 tibial stress reaction. I'm so relieved it's not a stress fracture, but not really sure what this means in how to proceed with return to running, the Detroit marathon, and then Dopey. I haven't talked to the doctor yet, obviously, that's why I'm looking for advice from you fine folks. I've been resting it for 11 days now and it's felt good the last 2 days, so I'm thinking I'll give it another couple of days to be safe and then ease back into running next week, hopefully with some help from coach @DopeyBadger . Any thoughts? Advice? @Wendy98 ?

sourire, mrsg00fy, pixarmom and 5 others like this.
  18. FredtheDuck

FredtheDuck DIS Veteran

ATTQOTD: Ditto (again) to @roxymama's.

I'll add another: I learned that if I didn't make running a priority, it was too easy to not do. One skipped run became two, then a week... I had a lot of fits and starts. For this last cycle, I switched to AM runs. That way, traffic, work, family obligations, etc., were less likely to provide excuses not to run.

sourire, mrsg00fy, LSUlakes and 3 others like this.
  19. DopeyBadger

DopeyBadger Imagathoner

Very happy to hear this! Better safe than sorry, so listen to your body and the signals it gives you. If it doesn't send the right signals, then just know there can always be another race to focus on. I wouldn't focus on Detroit and being ready for it. Rather focus on feeling good and then once that happens we can see what kind of time frame remains. Given it's been 11 days, when you feel ready to try running again, I'd limit it to 20-30 minutes and then we can go from there. But, I'll certainly defer to others here as I don't have much experience with injury recovery.

michigandergirl likes this.
  20. Keels

Keels The Official Keels of runDisney

We tried to warn you!! :rotfl2:

tigger536, FFigawi, LSUlakes and 2 others like this.
  21. rteetz

rteetz Rumors and News Moderator Moderator

I know I learned my lesson tho!

LSUlakes and Ariel484 like this.