The Running Thread - 2017

Discussion in 'runDisney' started by LSUlakes, Jan 3, 2017.

1. DVCFan1994

DVCFan1994 DIS Veteran

Phew...Reading the responses today I thought I was all by myself in my enjoyment of out and backs. I agree they seem shorter to me, and I feel like I have a better ability to evenly pace myself on them.

dmross and roxymama like this.
  2. RunDisneyDad

RunDisneyDad Mouseketeer

Magical

1. MK for sure, for the same reasons others have mentioned.
    2. I love coming into the Transportation Center as its the first time a huge mass of people is there to cheer you on and I love how you can feel the energy.

Not So Magical

WWoS – I don’t like all the turns and I don’t like how it comes at a very tough part of the Marathon. I would not mind WWoS at that point in the race if they could at least make that section easier on the body.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. Keels

Keels The Official Keels of RunDisney

Yay - I'm finally good for something around these parts! :rotfl2:

Right?! I thought about throwing some #math in there, but then I remembered that math is dumb and decided not to! :rotfl:

So ... this is a really interesting conundrum, that admittedly I've thought about for a while and have kinda studied (yes I have no life leave me alone what am I supposed to do in my free time waaah I need a real hobby) to see if I could see any trend that develops in how rD/TrackShack handles this kinda situation and so far the best answer I can come up with is "total crapshoot".

The only real-life example I can give you is from 2016 Princess Half (not Challenge). I met a Mom and Daughter in the parking lot and we had a chat as I walked with them to show them how to get to corrals - it was their first RunDisney race. The did not enter Proof of Time (this was back when PoT threshold was 3:15 compared to the current 2:45), and just selected the first drop-down time that did not require Proof. The mom was corralled in J and the daughter was corralled in K - their bib numbers were a couple hundred numbers apart, so they weren't really "splitting the corral" times closely (does that make sense?). Anyway. My cousin was also running - and she was corralled in L. She HAD submitted a time that was just slightly above the PoT threshold (I wanna say 3:17-3:18, something like that ... it was right on the cusp of a corral break). Had she skipped submitting the PoT, logic would say there was a pretty legit shot she would've been in a higher corral.

Of course, then RD had to go and be dumb and start using the = corrals for Marathon Weekend. Which is just lazy (in my opinion). Anyway.

I'm going to go ask on RunDisneyRun group on Facebook and see if I can crowdsource a trend from people from Marathon Weekend this year to see if it tilts my opinion, because PERSONALLY ... I'm not sure what I'd do. My gut says no PoT and hope for the best, but my brain says "don't be a dummy, just enter that PoT".

5. michigandergirl

michigandergirl DIS Veteran

ATTQOTD:

Magical: 1) Running down main street with the castle all it up 2) Coming out of Epcot and hearing the choir - hallelujah!

Not-so-magical: WWOS - I hated the twists & turns, narrow paths, and those stupid, tiny rocks that ended up in my shoes.

6. JeffW

JeffW Mouseketeer

I have a question for the collective wisdom of this group. I've run Goofy 3 times and the Marathon multiple times. This year will be my first time running Dopey. The original plan for the upcoming year was for our family (Me, DW, DS 12, and DS 9) to run the 5k, my wife would run the 10k, and I would run either Goofy or the Marathon. With last year's cancellation of the half, my wife decided to transfer to this year. At that point, DS 12 said "Dad, you should run Dopey and do the half with Mom", to which I responded "Then you have to run the 10k with me!". He promptly accepted, so here we are :thumbsup2 (I may use this strategy again when he's older to get him to run the half with me!)

The question revolves around a running strategy for me. The distance of Dopey really doesn't worry me, but the pacing does. I expect the 5k and 10k to be at 2 minutes per mile slower than my marathon pace (I'm about 8:15-8:30/mile marathon based on conditions), and the half at roughly 3 minutes per mile slower. Ignoring for the moment that this will mean more time on my feet than I'm used to, how do I run these paces? I feel silly asking this, but I'm worried about running with poor form and causing injuries (I've fought ITB and plantar fasciitis in the past and have no desire to do it again). Running a 5k or 10k at a slower pace is one thing, but 3 days in a row over 22 miles running with different form has me questioning things :confused3

I'm really excited that over the course of the weekend I get to run races with all of my family (DS is SO excited by his 5k+10k "mini-Goofy"), but my somewhat obsessive personality when it comes to training plans is having a hard time planning for this.

7. tigger536

tigger536 DIS Veteran

ATTQOTD:

Most magical:
    1. Running through the parking fee kiosks on the way to MK (this was my "OMG I love this!" moment of my first rD race, and it still doesn't get old).
    2. Coming to WS from backstage (during the half or less distance course) and seeing all the WS lanterns lit up before sunrise

Least:
    Marathon course, the road leading into WWOS and the road from WWOS to DHS. I like WWOS itself (I'm weird) - lots of different places to run, lots of characters.

8. camaker

camaker Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

ATTQOTD: I'll break mine up and give both WDW and DL answers.

WDW Magical
    1. Entering the MK in the dark, turning the corner and heading down Main Street towards a castle still all lit up for the holidays. Magical and emotional.
    2. Leaving DHS and hitting the path from DHS to Epcot past the Yacht & Beach Club. Once I leave DHS, I feel like I'm on the home stretch and the crowd support along that stretch is really nice.

WDW Not-So-Magical
    1. The stretch right before you get to AK. It's pretty featureless, except for the excitement (and smell) of the sewage treatment plant and the out and back that feels more like a "we gotta get a bit more distance in here" than an integral part of the course.

DL Magical
    1. Leaving the poorly lit streets/backlot in the dark for Cars Land in all of its neon glory. One of my favorite parts of any rD race, not just the DL races.
    2. Looping around the World of Color lake with the ferris wheel all lit up and the lighted fountains from WoC going in the lake. Beautiful at night.

DL Not-So-Magical

1. The entirety of the half course outside of DL property, with the exception of Angels Stadium which is a refreshing oasis and welcome boost in the morass of suck that is the Anaheim streets. I know some folks love the crowd support on the streets of Anaheim, but I've found it to be anemic at best and most local races that I've run have had better overall support. It's nice that the classic cars come out and some of the folk groups, but it's far too little to offset what I call "home improvement boulevard" with all its empty lighting and flooring stores.

9. Anisum

Anisum DIS Veteran

First I'd like to apologize for almost making you do #math. I'd appreciate it if you did (I never really think to check FB). The advice I received was to always submit a PoT for runDisney but I've never been right on the borderline. I was always been well enough above it that it wasn't a concern.

10. Miranda

Miranda DIS Veteran

ATTQOTD: I have only run one race at WDW and the course and time frame and even some of the park features don't even exist anymore, so I'm not even really sure how to answer! :D The only one I have done is the last night time W&D that got cut short, so I can't even complain about the part where we would have had to retrace our steps coming back from AK, because we didn't get to go to AK. My favorite part was just running through Epcot and HS after dark and especially through the Osborne Lights in HS. I guess my not-so-favorite part was how narrow and crowded that pathway between HS and Boardwalk is.

11. Keels

Keels The Official Keels of RunDisney

See, normally I'd be with you on the always submit a PoT ... but after chatting with those ladies from Georgia during Princess Weekend last year, it always stuck in the back of my mind as a "what if?" kinda deal.

I asked about it on RunDisneyRun and have already started to get a smattering of answers. I'm kind of beginning to feel like Corral L this year was for people that put PoT that may have been above a 5:30 equivalent (which would explain why it's =5:30, <5:50), while Corral J and K were the catch-all corrals for no PoT with a 5:30 estimation.

rteetz likes this.
  12. Anisum

Anisum DIS Veteran

Thanks for scouting that out.

The corral thing is my biggest concern. I mean no matter what I'm in the range I should be but two corrals worth of people who may or may not have lied on their estimated finish could be in front of me because I put down a PoT. Now, hopefully they were all truthful and I don't have to fight my way through people but it still seems kind of backwards.

I think I may just have to risk putting in a proof of time because if they do something more akin to the 2016 where they only had one =[TIME] corral then I'll be accurately placed.

13. FFigawi

FFigawi DIS Veteran

If you're worried about the camber of the road in a curve or when climbing up one of the off-ramps, the best place to be is normally the very top or outside of the curve. The road there is normally flatter than it is at the bottom or inside of the curve. You're basically running along the yellow or white traffic stripe. You will cover more distance, but the road is usually less cambered.

You run them by practicing them in advance. You're likely to get hurt if the first time you run at a significantly slower pace is on race day. You need to get out during your training and run 4-6 miles at your new 10k pace and 8-10 miles at your new half pace several times. You might find it's not possible or is quite uncomfortable to run much slower than you are used to going. If that's true, you could consider adopting some kind of a Galloway run/walk strategy.

14. PCFriar80

PCFriar80 BCV/CT

ATTQOTD:
    1/2 Marathon
    Magical:
    1. When you enter the TTC and the crowd is roaring! I think with some of the roofing for the entrance/exit to the monorails that the sound is just amplified!
    2. MK as a whole; of course making that turn from backstage down Main Street and just the lights, rides in motion, and overall energy of Tomorrowland, Fantasyland and Adventureland before you pass the Train and exit the park.

Not so Magical:
    1. The 2 overpasses between miles 10 and 12, especially the second one after mile 11 when you can see the runners struggle up the ramp.
    2. Finding out 10 hours before race start that the race is cancelled.

Full Marathon:
    Magical:
    1. First [and last] Full marathon. Had to be Disney!
    2. Start running through Epcot in the Wee hours before the merge.
    3. Run down the HS / Epcot Resorts canal - Mile 24

Not so Magical:
    1. 30 degree temps and figure 8's at the water stations.
    2. Applying bio-freeze inadvertently with bare hands

15. jmasgat

jmasgat DIS Veteran

Magical: 1) Running backstage at MK--by Splash, the parade floats and of course, the Train waiting at the crossing. I mean, I can walk up Main St any time, but going backstage is cool.

2) The Gospel Choir--some races, I think it means I have died! But they are great to listen to and make me smile (which is a very rare thing during a race)

Not so Magical: Not a place, but a time--waiting for the crowds to thin out at the start. I really don't care to dodge runners in the dark.

16. CheapRunnerMike

CheapRunnerMike DIS Veteran

Ironman 70.3 Worlds in the books...full recap in my journal here

Time to play thread catch up again, way behind...happens every time I go away for a race weekend!

17. GollyGadget

GollyGadget Mouseketeer

I don't know how this wasn't mentioned yet, but I really enjoy the finish. Where else can I high five Mickey after running a bazillion miles?

Second is the Magic Kingdom all lit up and full of cheering spectators.

I haven't run Disney enough to have a spot that gets on my nerves. Also, I like hills and out and backs because they break up the monotony of road running (and I'm a weirdo).

18. Disney at Heart

Disney at Heart Mouseketeer

QoTD: Most Magical over the years: MK, especially the Christmas tree to the Castle; AK, but not the parking lot part; Osborne Lights; Boardwalk and WS, especially during 10k when I am not so tired; Gospel Choir; Cars Land; Paradise Pier; Mickey Toon Town; DL Main Street; classic cars/ cosplayers; FINISH LINE!

Least Magical: Waste water plant, the out and backs (Why can't I just cut over???),

Bad in my first marathon/good in the second: WWOS, overpass with Sarge

19. FFigawi

FFigawi DIS Veteran

Sadly, far too many people do

Disney at Heart and LSUlakes like this.
  20. SheHulk

SheHulk Smashing runDisney events

Really???!!!?!??!!!!!

21. CheapRunnerMike

CheapRunnerMike DIS Veteran

Fantastic work @Baloo in MI! What an awesome accomplishment, especially after getting stung. Hornets suck. I was stung on the trail a few weeks ago, right in the earlobe. My ear and half my face swelled right up...not fun.

Sorry to hear this @Wendy98...make the most of the running layoff and keep working that swim & bike, then you can come back as a triathlete. In all seriousness the cross-training benefits of triathlon training are amazing. Of course I'm not saying you will never get injured, but just getting away from the daily grind of run run run is great for the body.

Magical 1 - anywhere that I can jump on a ride (EE, TOT etc)
    Magical 2 - anywhere I can grab an adult beverage (Germany, Mexico, now even EE...)

Not so Magical - the highway stretch between AK and WWoS. It actually makes me appreciate WWoS once I get there. Perhaps if the McDonald's down the hill served beer...