The Running Thread - 2017

Discussion in 'runDisney' started by LSUlakes, Jan 3, 2017.

1. SheHulk

SheHulk Smashing runDisney events

ATTQOTD: Not crazy about the idea of a 5k when I'm on just a normal vacation personally. Maybe if it was free or less than $10 and happening at the specific hotel I was already staying at. But even then my days are so packed with family. Marathon weekend is all about the race and I don't have other expectations about vacation but during a normal trip I personally probably wouldn't take time out.

LSUlakes likes this.
  2. FredtheDuck

FredtheDuck Mouseketeer

ATTQOTD: Never heard of it and can't find much about it. If I happened to need to get a 3+ mile training run in during a trip down, I could see doing it. But I'd do it at my training pace, not race pace. And I'd probably Uber down and back just to save transit time.

LSUlakes likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. baxter24

baxter24 Mouseketeer

ATTQOTD: I have never heard of any of those races but any race where I can eat beignets at the end seems pretty awesome!

LSUlakes likes this.
  5. PrincessV

PrincessV DIS Veteran

Back from 2 weeks of vacation and don't think there's a hope of catching up here, lol! I'll work my way backward as time permits and see how far I get. ;)

ATTQOTD: I have not, but I've run SSR on my own a bunch of times without a bib or medal - does that count?! ;) I have friends who've done the Pt. Orleans fun runs and they seemed to enjoy it. I have no interest in either; IF I run while on vacation at WDW, I enjoy the short period of solitude away from noise and crowds and over-stimulation and a fun run would be the opposite, I'd think. Plus that's a pretty steep price!

6. PrincessV

PrincessV DIS Veteran

1 slice Arnold Oatmeal bread, toasted and topped with peanut butter, banana slices and a drizzle of honey. With coffee and a glass of water. Same for travel races, only untoasted if there isn't a toaster!

Oh, no way can I pick one favorite! I'll try a Top 3:
    1. Tune Belt armband for my iPhone. Fits perfectly and keeps the phone handy!
    2. Skirt Sports running skorts - flattering and oh-so-comfy!
    3. SmartWool socks. Keeps my toes warm in cold weather, and comfortable in the heat of FL summer.

Gulf Coastal Floridian here: we don't have "hills" per se, but we do have a couple bluffs I can incorporate into long runs to get a break from running all flat all the time. I also have a very tall bridge nearby and I use that for hill repeats when the weather allows. I LOVE running hills (probably because I don't really have any, so it's a novelty lol!) and I'm a strong uphill runner. Where I've needed work is on the downhills, so though I have the option of doing uphill work on my treadmill, it's not very helpful since it has no ability to decline past horizontal.

Dopey here! I make my own plans and I've "officially" started. I kept a base after my last half in April of 3-4 runs per week with long runs of 8-10 miles, so right now I'm just adding back to backs every other weekend. It's insanely hot and it's going to stay that way until late Sept, at least, so the next couple months are all about doing what I can and recovering from the heat stress.

disneydaydreamer33 and LSUlakes like this.
  7. michigandergirl

michigandergirl DIS Veteran

ATTQOTD: I haven't heard of either of these. I might be interested if I was staying at one of those resorts and if it worked in my schedule. Which Facebook group was this on?

LSUlakes likes this.
  8. run.minnie.miles

run.minnie.miles DIS Veteran

ATTQOTD: I have never heard of this, but am hopeful someone has done it and can share about it! I likely wouldn't do this, but then again, I am not the best at running while at Disney or on any vacation. It seems like I am always walking so much, that running just isn't as appealing.

LSUlakes likes this.
  9. IamTrike

IamTrike DIS Veteran

This is the sign that I've seen posted online for it but I can't really find much information about it at all. Cost looks like it's actually $15 like the POR run.
    FullSizeRender (2).jpg

PrincessV, LSUlakes and roxymama like this.
  10. SarahDisney

SarahDisney So ... Yeah

ATTQOTD: I'd actually never heard about this before. Interesting. Not sure I'd do it. Maybe if I was staying there and planning to run anyway I'd bite the bullet and pay the money. Maybe. Probably not.

LSUlakes likes this.
  11. GreatLakes

GreatLakes DIS Veteran

Do you get anything for the $45? $45 is steep for a 5K so hopefully you get something. I would be interested in resort specific runs because I try to do runs while at Disney but I won't pay $45 for something I can just do with a Garmin watch.

LSUlakes likes this.
  12. jmasgat

jmasgat DIS Veteran

As to the QOTD....this from a FB friend who is currently at SSR and posted this on the 13th........

"Just an FYI. We are on vacation at Disney this week staying at Saratoga Springs. We had a message on our room phone last night about a fun run in the morning. This was week 2 of an experiment here and at Port Orleans French Quarter. Thursday is the 1.44 mile run at SSR: $15 gets you a bib, medal, and snacks (oranges, bananas, Kind bars, water). Sunday is at Port Orleans with post race snack of a beignet. It was very low key but fun. There was a well marked path with cast members stopping traffic if you needed to cross a street."
    upload_2017-7-17_15-40-28.png

13. IamTrike

IamTrike DIS Veteran

Ohh thanks for the info. So it's not a 5k but rather a sub 3K; and at just $15, I've paid a lot more for a free banana.

roxymama and LSUlakes like this.
  14. LSUlakes

LSUlakes DIS Veteran

Thanks for posting that! Looks like we are all learning something new today. lol I figured this was probably something everyone already knew about, and it was just not discussed. I hope they keep it up because I would be very interested in giving it a try.

For $15 this is probably the cheapest add on you can find at Disney. One piece of fruit and a water will cost you $5 bucks in the parks, so its a way to get a run in and a snack. lol

15. CheapRunnerMike

CheapRunnerMike DIS Veteran

Never heard of this either, but SSR is our home resort so maybe if we were staying there and it was going on I would consider running it with my son...if he wanted to. I could care less really. At least they are offering different things to do around the resorts, that's always nice to see.

LSUlakes, FredtheDuck and Dis_Yoda like this.
  16. LSUlakes

LSUlakes DIS Veteran

QOTD: We all started running for various reasons, which at some point got us to a starting line. Today I want to talk about why you run races? Do you run them for time goals, for the experience, as a way to see new places and things, or some other personal reason?

ATTQOTD: I run most of my races for time. (Although it has not worked out that way lately) I run the marathon for confidence and a reminder that nothing is impossible. It's just a big boost knowing I worked hard and completed a difficult task.

disneydaydreamer33 likes this.
  17. Chasing Dopey

Chasing Dopey Mouseketeer

Yes.

cburnett11 and LSUlakes like this.
  18. camaker

camaker Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Pretty much all of the above. I started running races to get a proof of time for my first RunDisney event and enjoyed them, so I like to run several a year. I run Disney races for the atmosphere and an opportunity to experience Disney in a different way. I'll generally run a couple of races per year as PR attempts, but most of them end up being way points on my overall journey to either a bigger goal race or better fitness in general. It's a lot easier to get out there for the training runs when there's a race looming on the horizon to hold me accountable.

19. JulieODC

JulieODC DIS Veteran

I think my main reason is to give myself a goal, so that I have something to keep me motivated and honest when it comes running regularly.

Also, it is yet another excuse to visit WDW/DL!! ;-)

20. ZellyB

ZellyB DIS Veteran

ATTQOTD: I run different races for different reasons. Local races are usually for a time goal, although sometimes they are just for fun and because I want to. We run some because friends are running them so it's an excuse to run with those folks. Some we run because they support a good cause. Some races we do specifically for a PoT for Disney. Disney we obviously run for the love of Disney and combining racing and the happiest place on Earth is just a win all the way around. Like @camaker having a race that I'm training for keeps me motivated to keep running and pushing.

21. MissLiss279

MissLiss279 Mouseketeer

ATTQOTD:

Some races I choose to run for time, others for fun and with friends. Some races I start out thinking that they are for fun, and then I'm feeling good, and I keep pick up the pace. Then I sometimes set PRs! Those are fun.

Usually I sign up for races to keep me training. I need something on the schedule to keep going, otherwise I think I would get lazy. I choose local races to run with friends and then scenic races that sound like they will be a lot of fun to travel to. Most local races are the ones that I choose to run for time, the others I just want to enjoy it.

disneydaydreamer33 and LSUlakes like this.