The Running Thread - 2017

Discussion in 'runDisney' started by LSUlakes, Jan 3, 2017.

1. michigandergirl

michigandergirl DIS Veteran

This!

And this!

I think I would rather run in a blizzard with snow up to my knees than on a hot, humid, sunny day.

JohnRPG and LSUlakes like this.
  2. FFigawi

FFigawi DIS Veteran

Hot and humid. While you can always dress in layers for the cold, there are only so many clothes you can take off to run in the heat. Plus, the negative effects from the heat like dehydration or heat stroke are much more severe than running in the cold because it's relatively easy to stay warm but much harder to cool off.

This is why I'm probably not going to do IM Cozumel with my friends. I think Busselton will have much better weather.

JohnRPG and LSUlakes like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. CheapRunnerMike

CheapRunnerMike DIS Veteran

My wife and I were just talking about what the next Ironman should be...she mentioned Cozumel and I was just like "ugh" for the same reason. I like a tough course, not tough weather. Unfortunately it seems WTC/Wanda does not agree and they are getting rid of most of the "hard" North American races (so long Couer D'Alene :sad2: )

5. FFigawi

FFigawi DIS Veteran

What?! They're dropping CdA?? That's terrible. It's a shame when the focus on profit impacts iconic events like that one.

LSUlakes likes this.
  6. CheapRunnerMike

CheapRunnerMike DIS Veteran

Yup, just announced it last week...this is the final year. One I had really hoped to do at some point.

7. PrincessV

PrincessV DIS Veteran

For me, both too hot and too cold impact my running negatively. Too hot/humid and I have no choice but to slow down to avoid heat stroke; too cold and my Raynaud's kicks in and my body diverts energy to producing histamines. In August, I much prefer cold weather running, but in a January cold snap, I long for summer heat lol!

Disney at Heart and LSUlakes like this.
  8. gjramsey

gjramsey Mouseketeer

ATTQOTD: And the drum beat continues! Heat/Humidity is just draining. I can usually run when it is just hot out, but add the humidity, and it just makes for a "fun" run. Unfortunately, I like my early morning runs in the summertime, and the humidity is pretty darn high at 4:30am. It is just easier for me to get the run in before work than after!

cburnett11, JohnRPG and LSUlakes like this.
  9. GreatLakes

GreatLakes DIS Veteran

Interesting question. The weather condition most likely to make me skip a run would be rain if it is too hard. Humidity slows me down and makes for unpleasant runs but I will usually at least power through.

I agree on the down pour but actually like running in the snow. I mean, not if it is blowing sideways or anything but running while the snow is falling is one of my favorite things to do.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    michigandergirl, JohnRPG and LSUlakes like this.
  10. LSUlakes

LSUlakes DIS Veteran

For those of yall living along the Gulf Coast, looks like it's going to be a very wet week with a system trying to develop. Most of the models having it coming to the Louisiana at this time and the main threat will be flooding. I really hope that it doesnt stall over land and just drop rain for days. After last years floods I dont think the community can deal with that again. I have a few friends that just got back into their houses. Anyway, just a heads up to those who live along the gulf to keep a eye on.

11. KSellers88

KSellers88 Mouseketeer

ATTQOTD: Heat and humidity are the worst that I have ever run in, but they also help when it comes to fall and winter races. I have never tried running in snow (Alabama doesn't get the real stuff), so technically that would be the most difficult to deal with for me! I try to run at dusk because that seems to help with the heat and humidity a bit, but there is not much escaping it where I live.

LSUlakes likes this.
  12. TinkerBellLiz

TinkerBellLiz Mouseketeer

I was just watching our local forecast on the rain and even though it's expected to hit around LA/MS border, the majority of heavy rain is supposed to be Ft Walton/Destin area. I know it's always much worse to the east of landfall but THAT far east? :confused: Our forecast is only 4 to 6 inches over 2 days. That's like a usual afternoon thundershower around here! Hope you and everyone else in the area fares well though this. May it be the only one this season...

LSUlakes likes this.
  13. PrincessV

PrincessV DIS Veteran

We just had a big band of something roll through here in the Tampa Bay area - same storm? IDK, but I really would appreciate it refraining from lightning so I can get a non-treadmill run in later! My last two runs were on the 'mill because of lightning... I've hit my limit. ;) Here's hoping for nothing serious anywhere!

TinkerBellLiz and LSUlakes like this.
  14. gjramsey

gjramsey Mouseketeer

Looks like this might be a big water maker. This pic is from the European Model, and showing a large flow of moisture flowing into the gulf coast for a rather large area.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    TinkerBellLiz and LSUlakes like this.
  15. DopeyBadger

DopeyBadger Imagathoner

Sounds about right to me. Your primarily building endurance right now which means the lower HRs will be more beneficial. My guess is that would be primarily working in zone 1 and zone 2, but just getting to zone 3. Do you happen to know your resting HR?

Congrats on the 10k this weekend!

TinkerBellLiz likes this.
  16. LSUlakes

LSUlakes DIS Veteran

I was looking at this one earlier and would say this is probably worse than the center of circulation coming up the middle of LA. I trust the EURO more than the GFS, and I think on the last model runs (which are very unreliable as the COC is closed "yet", thus making the model runs even more unreliable) had it shifting westward. I dont think winds are going to a issue or really surge, it will be the local heavy rain that get it over and over again will be the story here. Also read the Eastern facing coast will see high tide ~2; higher than normal which would cause some coastal flooding for folks outside the protected levee system. Also read read the weather channel is sending Jim C to NOLA. Not sure how true that is though... The visible satellite image makes it look like the lower level of circulation is not under the thunderstorms.

TinkerBellLiz and gjramsey like this.
  17. FFigawi

FFigawi DIS Veteran

DopeyBadger likes this.
  18. Miranda

Miranda DIS Veteran

I am in week 4 now of no running! :sad: PT today was ok but not great. My leg is overall feeling better but I still have numbness and pins/needles in my lower leg in a classic pattern for an L4/L5 nerve issue (outer calf, down across the front of my ankle and into the ball of my foot/big toe), but she said it's also a classic pattern for a fascia issue, and I have incredibly tight fascia all up and down that leg. Lots more needling today. We tried doing a little stretching while lying on my back (some leg stretches with my leg up in the air with a yoga strap), but it immediately started pinging my calf nerve sensations/pain even though it felt so good to be stretching. If the calf issues didn't keep coming back we'd probably ignore the numbness/tingling for now, but since the calf still keeps triggering, then it's still not quite right.

I did get the OK to do some hiking as long as I do lots of back extensions and start doing some things like bridges and leg lifts to strengthen, and was told I can try going back to Yin yoga but to immediately stop if anything stretchy we are doing starts the calf pain. This injury is so frustrating, because there's like nothing to be done other than do a lot of back extensions and let the nerves chill out! Except that I also need to be careful with the back extensions because sometimes THAT also pings the calf thing, and I need to change it to a different position when that happens.

LSUlakes likes this.
  19. Wendy98

Wendy98 Mouseketeer

Yes, I don't love heat and humidity and have strong hatred for the sun when running. However, cold temps are my nemesis, especially if it is the downtime before a race. Once I get super cold, it takes me forever to recover.

LSUlakes likes this.
  20. TinkerBellLiz

TinkerBellLiz Mouseketeer

Yeah I've been trying to avoid that question. I swear I'm not a vampire and NOT a zombie! Resting heart rate is between 39 and 55. My trainer decided on 55 for the calculations. Walking around the house doing chores it's in the 70s. It's interesting watching someone take my blood pressure for the first time. Usually after the 3rd time I'll tell them it's probably right.

The 10k was just a long run and we'll repeat it Saturday weather depending. We cap at 7 miles with this program. My goal was 15 ish minutes in zone 3 followed by walking to get back to my bottom "training" heart rate.

I hope this training in the heat will benefit us when it gets cooler!

DopeyBadger likes this.
  21. JulieODC

JulieODC DIS Veteran

Humidity for sure! Ice is tough too, but I feel like I can work around that more than I can hear and high humidity.

LSUlakes likes this.