The Running Thread - 2017

Discussion in 'runDisney' started by LSUlakes, Jan 3, 2017.

1. run.minnie.miles

run.minnie.miles Mouseketeer

I love the running thread. I especially appreciate that people of all skill levels are able to come together in a non-judgmental way to share in the love of the same thing. As a relatively new runner, I feel completely comfortable coming to the thread to ask a newbie question and get a thoughtful and honest response.

I check in occasionally on the weekends, but I like the M-F format, including the fun-Friday question.

No suggestions- but if I think of something, I'll be sure to speak up.

BikeFan, JClimacus and LSUlakes like this.
  2. AbbyJaws2003

AbbyJaws2003 Mouseketeer

Just popping on this QOTD to say I love this thread! I don't have many (or any, really) friends that run so the QOTD and all the other fun stuff that comes up on here really help me out and I learn a ton from you all. I just appreciate what goes on here and how helpful and positive everyone is, ya'll are great!

The weekend rest from the QOTD is totally good for me, I am rarely on here on the weekends. No suggestions or feedback from me, just a big thank you for the work you put into keeping this thread rolling!

KSellers88 and LSUlakes like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. SarahDisney

SarahDisney So ... Yeah

Even though I'm always around on the weekend, I know most people are probably busy, so I'm okay with no weekend QOTD. I don't usually look at the list of QOTD's, but that's mostly because I always think of things I want to look and see if you've asked while I'm out running, and by the time I get home, I've forgotten. I should probably just look things up on my phone during my walk breaks. But anyway...
    The only suggestion I would have is, if people are okay with it, when someone shares a short race recap on here, put the link with their results in the first post. That way, if someone is interested in doing a race next year that someone already did this year, there's an easy way for them to see what the person thought, and that can help them make a decision. But that might be too much work, and if it is, I think it's something we can live without.

Thank you for everything you do on this thread - I really am constantly impressed at how you maintain the thread, keep track of everyone's races and times, and keep us all talking about running!

LSUlakes likes this.
  5. SheHulk

SheHulk Smashing runDisney events

ATTQOTD: No suggestions, just Thank You @LSUlakes

JClimacus and LSUlakes like this.
  6. sourire

sourire Mouseketeer

Thanks for leading the thread @LSUlakes! I'm so glad I finally jumped in from lurker status. :) I'm always falling behind, so the weekend break from the QOTD is a great way to try and catch up. Love reading everyone's race recaps too - very inspiring! I refer to the list of races from time to time, especially before one of my races, to see if anyone else might be there too!

LSUlakes likes this.
  7. LSUlakes

LSUlakes DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the comments everyone! I like the idea of race recaps, so here is what I am thinking of doing. I will either link the recap from this thread or from the persons journal to the first post. So basically the race listed will become the link. I will try to turn the link a different color so it will be very obvious which race listed has a link to the post of the recap. Great idea everyone!

I had considered doing that initially in the original thread but it took up a ton of space and multiple race names took up more than one line. I do my best to abbreviate what I can to keep each race as one line for uniformity. Some race the city name is in it, and it works out, but like you I have had to google a couple of them because I was curious.

8. PCFriar80

PCFriar80 BCV/CT

Weekdays: Coffee, Running Thread - 2017, Breakfast, then off to run. I never used to take anything with my coffee but now I do! No additions, no changes. Not every question is applicable to me so I'll just sit those out. Job well done by you and I appreciate the insights from others.

LSUlakes likes this.
  9. JulieODC

JulieODC DIS Veteran

You do an amazing job with this thread - thank you!

LSUlakes likes this.
  10. JClimacus

JClimacus Mouseketeer

I second that...

LSUlakes likes this.
  11. Dopeyintraining

Dopeyintraining Earning My Ears

Just to add my thanks @LSUlakes. I've not been here long but appreciate that there must be a fair bit of work involved.

Well, the Pretty Muddy 5k lived up to it's name, which I finished in a reasonable time of 37:48.

I've now got a few more goal races lined up. I've set a date for my August virtual HM and I've signed up for the 401 Running Festival Challenge which I thought would be a mini practice for Dopey. I've set the goal times to stay within the 16min/mile cutoff.

Millie's Virtual HM -20th August (2:20:00)
    401 Challenge 5k -7th September (40:00)
    401 Challenge 10k -8th September (1:30:00)
    401 Challenge HM - 9th September (2:45:00)

Last edited: May 20, 2017 at 8:47 AM
  12. Slogger

Slogger DIS Veteran

Thanks @LSUlakes. The thread is more "awesomer" than ever.

Now if you could figure out a way to get live interaction from forum members to me during a race for words of encouragement or tough love, that would be pretty cool.

Dis5150, KSellers88, LSUlakes and 6 others like this.
  13. jmasgat

jmasgat DIS Veteran

There's an app for that! Now if I could just remember what it was. I know I had a FB friend who had something that read out FB comments on a given post while she was running.

Found it....she used Runmeter (iPhone)

LSUlakes and Slogger like this.
  14. michigandergirl

michigandergirl DIS Veteran

Just wanted to echo what others have said...you're doing a great job @LSUlakes!! Thank you!

LSUlakes likes this.
  15. ZellyB

ZellyB DIS Veteran

@LSUlakes I've got a new race to add

October
    01 - Zellyb - Mo' Cowbell Half Marathon (2:15/XX) Hoping for a new PR and getting a new POT in just in time for the Dopey cutoff.

16. Baloo in MI

Baloo in MI DIS Veteran

@LSUlakes thank you for this awesome thread! I have gained so much knowledge and inspiration from it, I truly appreciate it. I am good with the down time on the weekends. It is my only chance to get caught up!

@mjcorral sorry for not responding to your question sooner, have not been able to be on the thread as much lately. I am an avid trail runner and is my preference. But I am sure there are other more experienced trail runners on the thread. So take my advice with that grain of salt. Sorry if some of this is repetitive, but here are my thoughts:

1) Purchase good trail shoes. They provide much better protection for your feet, better traction and hold up much better on trails.
    2) Go to a local running store that specializes in trail running to figure out what good trail shoes will mean for you.
    3) Bug spray with deet is a must if you are in tick areas. Do a good check of yourself after runs. Mosquitoes can be ruthless too!
    4) If you are doing some distance always pack a few essentials if you were to get lost, stranded, injured... A hydration pack provides for water, but also bring a space blanket or trash bags, some energy bars, headlamp, cell phone, batteries. Most important - have a "nature calls kit". Sealable baggie with toilet paper, baby wipes and a couple grocery bags.
    5) You will go slower on trails, hills or not so plan that extra time. Your legs, hips, knees and ankles get worked different. Ease into it. Watch your footing. Know that it is not if you fall, but when you fall. Everyone does at some point. I like to challenge gravitational pull on a regular basis evidently! :)
    6) know that when it gets dark on the trails it is totally dark! Carry a headlamp if there is a chance of coming in late. If on a longer night run carry back up batteries.
    7) There are some great resources out the to learn more about races, gear and the trail community. Check out The Ginger Runner, Run Steep Get High, and I Run Far. All offer great videos on you tube and other social media stuff.
    8) I have found the trail community to be awesome, super supportive, have incredibly beautiful races and people just happy to have you out there running!

Sorry about this book. Good luck with this new direction!

17. Disney at Heart

Disney at Heart Mouseketeer

@mjcorral Good advice already from Baloo in MI, but I have one thing to add. Be sure that someone knows exactly where you are when you are put on a trail. That way, if there is any problem, you can have help right away.
    DH is an ultra trail runner and puts many miles on his feet in training. Sometimes he is gone out training all day. He has a RoadID app (iPhone) and he sends me an "ecrumb" when he starts so that I can track him. If he is still for 5 minutes, it alarms my phone. I have only gotten the alarm once, but when I looked, I saw that he was back in the parking lot, so I called him and he had just forgotten to send me the "activity finished" notification and had stopped to talk to some bikers who finished the trail about the same time. It was good to know it works! I feel much better knowing exactly where he is on the trail.

Baloo in MI likes this.
  18. mrsgryphon

mrsgryphon Mouseketeer

I'm changing my goal for tomorrow to no goal - just finish. I've been dealing with shin/calf issues for the past couple of weeks that are still not resolved. I'm going to see how it goes, but am not going to push it. Hopefully I won't have my first DNF.

LSUlakes and TinkerBellLiz like this.
  19. Simba's Girl

Simba's Girl DIS Veteran

@LSUlakes Agreed...no suggestions & great job! I just don't answer the questions that don't apply!

I missed my long run this week :( due to eating something that had me in the bathroom most of the night and all morning yesterday :crazy2: Still feeling off but better. My first race in a long time is Saturday...4.4 miler DD says she'll beat me. We'll see, I've been running that distance weekly however her longest run has been 3 miles and not consecutive. However she has youth and long gangly legs on her side!

LSUlakes likes this.
  20. TinkerBellLiz

TinkerBellLiz Mouseketeer

I changed my approach to my maintenance runs a couple of weeks ago from a specific distance to just the 30 minute time at a much faster pace. It paid off in my long run yesterday! My Nike run achievements looked like a Christmas tree! Longest run, fastest run, fastest 1 mile, 5k, 6k, 7k! It was really rewarding.

Hope everyone's training and races went as well!

21. camaker

camaker Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Race Report: NCRC Half Marathon

This morning was the second time I've run my least favorite half marathon course. If I post that I plan to run it again next year, someone please slap me!

The weather was glorious for a late May race in NC. Temp hovered right around 63 throughout the race with relatively low humidity. The skies were cloudy all morning and there was an on and off light mist helping to keep things cool.

I had apparently suppressed memories of how tough the course was because I decided to go out with the 1:50 pacer to see how long I could hang with him. That lasted about 3/4 of a mile as we hit a steep downhill right out of the gate and he put up a "paced" 7:30 first mile. Yeah, I don't think so.

The course is almost entirely on hard pack trail of Umstead Park, which was soft, but didn't give the energy return of asphalt. As a bonus there was large gravel on it in places, a fair number of ankle eating ruts and plenty of horse poop to dodge. All in all, a strange course for the NC Roadrunners "premier" event.

The real problem with Umstead is the hills. The hills on the course have their own hills. They aren't particularly steep hills (mostly), but they go on forever, some running 3/4 to a mile or more before giving way to the next one. There are no significant flat stretches on the course (see below).

After losing the pacer and remembering what it was I'd gotten myself into I switched over to a sub-2:00 goal. Through the first half of the race I was very strong on the uphills, powering through and gliding on the downslopes.

By halfway, I was feeling the effects of the slopes and the back half became an exercise in survival and minimizing the time that was slipping away as the front half's downslopes became the back half's uphill slogs.

Ultimately, I held on for an unofficial 1:58:06. Not what I had hoped for, but it is an improvement of 6:54 on last year's time and is my 4th fastest overall. I'll take it and look for a different half in May next year.

IMG_3231.PNG