The Running Thread - 2017

Discussion in 'runDisney' started by LSUlakes, Jan 3, 2017.

1. SueInBoston

SueInBoston DIS Veteran

Wendy98 likes this.
  2. camaker

camaker Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Both @IamTrike and I are in the Raleigh area which is significantly hotter than Blowing Rock up in the mountains. Not to say Blowing Rock will be cold, just cooler than here.

I generally run in the evenings and it's not unusual to have mid-90s with heat indices over 100 that time of year. Tonight's run was at 84 degrees or so and it's just mid-April! Fortunately I grew up here playing summer sports in the heat so I'm pretty well acclimated and would rather run in that than sub-freezing temps.

Coming from LA, I don't think you'll find Blowing Rock to be too bad. That's the running camp, right?

LSUlakes likes this.
  3. JulieODC

JulieODC DIS Veteran

Thank you for the advice! Th aquarium sounds cool!!

4. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. Baloo in MI

Baloo in MI DIS Veteran

ATTQOTD: I keep falling behind, so again just jumping back in.

I fluctuate between road and trail races. So I try to focus my runs accordingly. I have some very challenging trails about 45 minutes from my house that I drive to for weekend long runs. It is single track, somewhat technical but very hilly. It is always a tough work out and is in the area of an ultra I run so great to be familiar with the course.

My big challenge though is temperature. Going down to Florida to run Marathon Weekend from the winter in Michigan is always a challenge. This year I overdressed for runs, it really slowed me down. But I think it helped to run hot. Of course then it was pretty darn cold for the Marathon...

LSUlakes and SheHulk like this.
  6. JClimacus

JClimacus Mouseketeer

@Wendy98 that's a great recap! And great pictures too. Congratulations!

Wendy98 likes this.
  7. baxter24

baxter24 Mouseketeer

ATTQOTD: I can walk right outside my door and run around my neighborhood for hills. In terms of weather, NC gets it all. I am a wuss when it comes to running in the heat so I tend to justify the treadmill more in the summer. My goal for the summer is to try and run some outside but never for long distances. I really enjoy running in the cold but I do acknowledge that NC cold isn't as cold as other states during the winter.

@LSUlakes, enjoy Blowing rock. It's a neat area with much more tolerable temps in the summer compared to elsewhere in the state.

LSUlakes and JClimacus like this.
  8. roxymama

roxymama DIS Veteran

Here's the view of running around the aquarium! (From a 10k race last year)
    IMG_9479.JPG

9. Jules76126

Jules76126 Practically Perfect in Every Way

@LSUlakes Bell and Hand is the oldest continuous running tavern in the US. It is pretty small, but is actually more enjoyable in the summer as they open all the windows and doors so it feels more open. And the Green Monster IPA is brewed by the Wachusetts brewing company, who most well known beer is a blueberry ale. In the summer, they even add fresh blueberries to the drink.

LSUlakes likes this.
  10. CheapRunnerMike

CheapRunnerMike DIS Veteran

Get a bit busy with work and life and the next thing you know...25 pages behind.

First of all a HUGE congrats to @Wendy98 @RunDisneyDad & @BikeFan on your Boston accomplishments...not just the race but the fact that you were able to get there is a big deal. I followed each of you on Marathon Monday along with all of my local running buddies. Everybody seemed to struggle in those conditions, except for you Wendy, you absolutely crushed it...wow!

Great recaps by Thomas and Wendy (looking forward to your's as well Marc!). Thomas you nailed the first-timer experience, mine was almost identical. So much to do and take in during the days leading up to the race and realizing about 10 miles into the race that all that walking around over the course of the weekend maybe wasn't the greatest idea, but not regretting a minute of it. Wendy, I agree 100% about the Sam Adams 26.2...I wanted to like it but nope. I found a dive-y sort of pizza place near Fenway that had Guinness on tap so I was happy :) The best part of the Sam 26.2 was the souvenir bottle opener, one of my favourite race swag items ever.

Congratulations again guys, I'm so proud of you!

LSUlakes, sourire, Slogger and 2 others like this.
  11. Miranda

Miranda DIS Veteran

I cannot get on board with beer after running. :) I do love me some hard cider afterwards, though, and that is what I always order at our pub stop after Wednesday night runs. :D We have some good variety, with one pub having Magner's and 2 others on tap (Angry Orchard and something else... I usually go for the Magner's) and most of the other ones have a good local place on tap, North Country.

12. CheapRunnerMike

CheapRunnerMike DIS Veteran

Man I love running the Lakefront Trail...one of the best running spots around. Hard to beat this view!

[​IMG]

13. SunDial

SunDial Where Are The Umbrella Hats

The only "hill" training one can do in South Florida are highway overpasses, or bridges over waterway's. Back and forth. That's all.

Y'all northerners can train for the heat in winter. There is not really a way we can train for colder weather at all outside of about a week or 2 unless someone has a treadmill inside a walk-in freezer.

LSUlakes likes this.
  14. SunDial

SunDial Where Are The Umbrella Hats

I am the opposite. Since that is all I train in is the 80's and 90's I feel right at home with the sun and heat. For me I would have an issue running and breathing in the cold air. This past January I'm sure there were a quite a few people that love the chilly temps. Glad I wasn't at Disney this year. Although I was driving thru Orlando on that Sunday at the time the marathon was starting. I was glad to be in a vehicle with the heater on.

15. JulieODC

JulieODC DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing photos! I'm excited to check it out! And I have 2 days of running planned, so can see a decent amount of the trail :)

16. Dis5150

Dis5150 DIS Veteran

I can already tell that it is going to be a rough summer for running outside in Arkansas. Yesterday after work I was supposed to run 6x800's, after a 15 minute warm up run. Well, I bailed after 2 of the 800's. I did do the 15 minute cool down as I was SPENT! I guess I will move to the treadmill for after work runs, sigh. Oh, and I already have a sock line tan. And it is only April. :upsidedow

LSUlakes and girliea like this.
  17. Slogger

Slogger DIS Veteran

Thanks for posting and sharing your Boston marathon experience @Wendy98.

Where is your next marathon and will the hamstring be okay by then?

Wendy98 likes this.
  18. michigandergirl

michigandergirl Mouseketeer

I see nothing wrong with this, you had every reason to celebrate! Great recap @Wendy98!! Cheers! :drinking1

19. michigandergirl

michigandergirl Mouseketeer

@LSUlakes I have a couple of races to add:

June 24 - michigandergirl - Lake Michigan half marathon - NG
    July 29 - michigandergirl - Color Run 5K - NG

I'm planning to take these easy, it's more about supporting my coworker for the half and my sister & niece for the color run.

LSUlakes, sourire and Slogger like this.
  20. roxymama

roxymama DIS Veteran

IMG_9484.JPG
    One more for the Chicago tourism pics for the day. City looks so far away and I think we were only a two miles away from the museum campus here.

21. LSUlakes

LSUlakes DIS Veteran

Correct and thanks!

Thanks. I think we we t there and what I was told the oldest seafood joint as well. The warm cornbread served pre meal was amazing!
    We did all the touristy things there is to do of course after the marathon including the duck tour, baseball game, some bar hoping, Sam Adams brewery tour. Can't remember the rest.

That's located next door to the treadmill in sauna. :)

roxymama likes this.