The Running Thread - 2017

Discussion in 'runDisney' started by LSUlakes, Jan 3, 2017.

1. DopeyBadger

DopeyBadger Imagathoner

Never had a running funk, but I've always had a plan that I've been sticking to for years. I'd venture to guess that when that day comes for me to get out of the funk I'll just remind myself of all the reasons I got into running and chose to continue to do it: health, sub 3 goal, satisfaction of executing a plan, good role model for my daughter, also to show my daughter that dreams can be reality if you are willing to put the work in (so dream big G) and don't let other people set your limits, etc. But I'm probably on the other end of the spectrum and if I could I would run even more.

2. Dis5150

Dis5150 DIS Veteran

ATTQOTD: I was in a mini funk this year after marathon weekend. I irritated my IT band so had to take a few weeks off of running and then I just didn't want to get back to it. But I had already registered for next years Dopey, plus a few other races that are coming up next month. I made the decision to pay for a customized training plan for a couple of reasons - 1. Because I hate to waste money and if I don't run the plan that is what I am doing and 2. Accountability. I have to check in with my coach every Tuesday on video chat, plus he monitors my Garmin Connect results and knows if I have been sticking to my plan. I don't want to have to explain why I didn't do what I was supposed to. I has helped me get out the door many times so far.

mrsgryphon, maw, sourire and 2 others like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. camaker

camaker Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

I don't know that I've been in anything severe enough to call a "funk", but I do get depressed after RunDisney events and major goal races. There's just such a letdown after months of training and anticipation and, all of a sudden, it seems like it's over in the blink of an eye. It doesn't help that I have to take a week or two off for recovery at the same time. The best way I've found to fight it, like a number of other folks, is to ensure that I always have a race on the calendar driving me to get back out and train.

5. BuckeyeBama

BuckeyeBama You are stronger than you think.

When I hit a funk, it only takes one run to get me back on track.

michigandergirl, LSUlakes and Dis5150 like this.
  6. AbbyJaws2003

AbbyJaws2003 Mouseketeer

ATTQOTD: I always try to have some sort of race on the calendar to keep me moving. Most of the time it helps, but if I still can't shake it then I will take a week off or so, usually by then I am ready to get back into it, or I start getting crabby and I know that even though I don't necessarily want to run it is probably best for me and those around me that I at least get a few miles in to shake the crabby... once I get going and run one or two short runs I am usually pulled out of the funk and back to it again.

7. KSellers88

KSellers88 Mouseketeer

ATTQOTD: I have not hit a funk yet, but I have only been running about a year and a half. All of the advice mentioned previously would most likely work for me though. Sometimes I will be lazy and not want to go run, but normally as soon as I do I feel much better than before.

Sidenote: heading to the doctor today to have my foot looked at. After a hilly half marathon on Saturday and demoing our bathroom, I could barely bear weight when I first woke up Sunday. It is much better today, but I dread the words I think the doctor will say "take XX rest days". Luckily I have a bit of a break from races, so this would be the best time to take a recovery break if needed. Any good vibes y'all can send my way would be SO appreciated!

dmross, tigger536, maw and 4 others like this.
  8. PCFriar80

PCFriar80 BCV/CT

ATTQOTD: I rarely get in a running funk. If anything, I get in a funk when I can't run usually due to illness or injury. Things I do intuitively to keep me from getting in a funk are to change routes, distance, and time of day when I run. On any off days I'll be doing something else; biking, golfing, mowing the lawn, shoveling snow, raking leaves and basically enjoying the 4 distinct seasons we have here in Southern CT.

LSUlakes likes this.
  9. tigger536

tigger536 DIS Veteran

@Slogger So so sorry about your kitty! Hugs!:hug: I have two 15 year old kitties myself and I don't know what I would do without them.

ATTQOTD: I've only been running a relatively short time (since early 2015) so I have had only one funk to date, after last year's darkside. What got me out of it was a girls weekend trip to the beach that May - I had never run on the beach and I loved the change of pace and the beautiful views! After that, once I got home funk was gone. :)

I ran the Publix full yesterday in 5:20:58. Not the time I was shooting for, but the hills were killer, particularly on the last half. Last two miles are almost all uphill. It's a great race with great support. I will do this one again. I had done the half last year, and at that point a full marathon was only a pipe dream. So it was an emotional moment at the half-full split (7 mile mark) and when I crossed the finish line of a really tough race (for me) as my fourth full. I feel that I've come a long way. Plus, it made me an inaugural "Ultimate Peach" (Peachtree roadrace, PNC 10 miler and Thanksgiving half, plus yesterday's race), AND I can be a Marathon Maniac!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    mrsgryphon, dmross, maw and 7 others like this.
  10. sky13

sky13 Mouseketeer

I've had multiple multiple ones in the past - when I was in university I'd run a lot for a few months, then exams would come around and I'd stop running. Then I'd start again when I realised I was piling on the pounds, and then exams would come again!

Right now I'm in a mild one. Mainly because I just went on holiday (to WDW!) and only managed one run during the time I was there, and came back and found that I'd slowed down due to not running! (Although I am rather happy about the fact that I even got in the one run - this is the first time I've ever gone running during a holiday). And then because I'd been on holiday, work got really busy - I've worked about 90 hours in the last 7 days - so running has taken a bit of a backseat as just too exhausted to run.

I think things that are making me want to run right now (despite the exhaustion) though are:
    - Pokemon Go. I got a Pokemon Go Plus device recently and it's amazing for Pokemon Go, especially as my regular running route takes me past something like 30+ Pokestops on a 4km distance.
    - Closing that exercise ring on my Apple Watch
    - While at WDW I went to the Fit2run at Disney Springs and got a new pair of running shoes (On cloud) and very nice running socks, and have a Sparkle Skirt on the way after reading the reviews here and elsewhere - so this is all motivating me to get out and actually use the stuff I bought!
    - I still want to try to build up to a half sometime this year - best I've had is a 10K so far
    - Still wanting to lose some weight!

Debating whether to sign up for a local 10k this weekend where registration is surprisingly still open - it's an interesting race as the 10k starts at 9+pm (they also have a half and a full that start past midnight!) - but the issue is work hours as given my work schedule I know I'll be exhausted at that time...

mrsgryphon, dmross and LSUlakes like this.
  11. run.minnie.miles

run.minnie.miles DIS Veteran

ATTQOTD: Sometimes a short break is just what I need to kick-start my desire to run again. After taking years off of running, I know that it really, really sucks to start over (harder than starting the first time for me) and I don't want to have to do that again.

LSUlakes and Wendy98 like this.
  12. opusone

opusone Imagineer Wanna Be

4.9 mile route: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1099252184
    I went a little past the starting point to make it five miles.

6 mile route (same as 4.9 mile route but adds a loop around DHS parking lot): https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1090526683

Running funks just happen. I've had ones that lasted a few months to multiple years (usually when life just got too busy). Getting back into it? I would suggest a few options: plan a race (as many others have mentioned); find a friend, group of friends, or a running group to run with (at least a couple days each week); try a different type of training (e.g. speed for 5k's instead of endurance for marathons or vice versa); stop running and do some other form of exercise for a while (cycling, swimming, basketball, soccer, etc) until you're interested in running again.

sourire, LSUlakes and Wendy98 like this.
  13. SarahDisney

SarahDisney So ... Yeah

ATTQOTD: For me, it's really about identifying the reason for the funk. I've discovered that I hit a funk every December ... that one I just work through, because I know that when January hits, I'll be glad I didn't give up. Right now I'm in a funk because of some family issues, and I really wasn't sure how that should effect my running, but then I realized that I do have to just keep running, because if I give up because of this, I'll never go back. If the slump isn't caused by something external and is just not wanting to run, sometimes planning to take a few weeks off can help, as long as I know I can force myself to restart the running when my forced break is up (for me at least ... I don't know if that works if you're already kinda taking time off).

Also, registering for a race helps. Because then you have a deadline and you have to go back to running - you can't say "next week" if you need to start your training plan NOW.

@LSUlakes, I hope you can find your way out of your funk!

tigger536, Mickey Momma and LSUlakes like this.
  14. PCFriar80

PCFriar80 BCV/CT

I've done this loop as well, but folks need to know that you do run out of sidewalk for a few hundred feet between the Boardwalk and Beach Club resorts. Running on the grass is doable but it's the thick deep grass. It's also a little tight on the sidewalk under the canal that goes from BC over to Epcot.

michigandergirl and opusone like this.
  15. opusone

opusone Imagineer Wanna Be

True, and thanks for mentioning it. I do remember that, and I just ran on the edge of the road for that part. Granted, I was running early in the morning, so there was very little traffic on the roads. I found the sidewalk under the canal to be fine (normal neighborhood sidewalk width).

PCFriar80 likes this.
  16. Wendy98

Wendy98 Mouseketeer

AOTD: I have had many running funks over the years. After 19 years of running regularly, it is to be expected. Almost after every marathon comes a period of not being motivated. I am usually still on the marathon high for a week or 2, then I wake up one day and think, I just don't feel like running today! Even if I have another race on the agenda (and let's be honest, there is ALWAYS another race), I have a "what now?" feeling. It is a little like postpartum depression for me (minus the hormones and the depression part). Sometimes I don't get burned out on running, but I get burned out on racing. I carry a burden now to win or place well. I had a very successful 2016 and that puts pressure on me to continue the streak this year. Currently, I am having issues with my Achilles that are holding me back. Side note--I finally went and had an MRI last week. There is no tears just a lot of inflammation--I am clear for running (but it hurts a little).

I get into funks with other parts of life too (like parenting). Somedays, if I have to drive a kid to one more activity, make one more lunch, clean up one more dinner, I want to scream. Then I go for a run instead.

dmross, iivye, Mickey Momma and 2 others like this.
  17. jmasgat

jmasgat DIS Veteran

Lots of great thoughts on the "funk" question. Each person is individually and differently motivated, and the solutions mentioned reflect that.

For me, I start with trying to reduce the guilt and pressure. So no thinking about how long I haven't run or if my training has gone to hell. I try to just reboot with a logical plan for me. Example, with my recent "yoga toe" injury (still not entirely resolved) and vacation (when I never run), I was feeling iffy about a spring half. So I reset my training plan to repeat some weeks and have worked to find a race where I can just go have fun. Maybe achieving a better POT for Dopey isn't in the cards, but at least I will have my baseline to start marathon training.

Running without a watch or an idea of distance is something I also do if my motivation has sapped. Again, for me I think it's about trying to reduce the pressure and guilt at having "fallen off the wagon".

Isn't it silly what the mind will do?!

dmross, sourire, The Expert and 2 others like this.
  18. LSUlakes

LSUlakes DIS Veteran

Thanks for the suggestions and comments everyone.

maw, opusone and The Expert like this.
  19. The Expert

The Expert Has been to every Disney park in the world!

I've only been running for a year, so I'm not sure I've had a funk so much as just random periods of frustration complicated by a lack of focus and commitment. For the first few months, I'd get bored or plateau on a training plan and immediately change to a different one. Thankfully, @DopeyBadger helped in that department and made me a great - though challenging - plan to follow.
    I had a hip injury and a bunch of travel in November and December, so that became a convenient excuse to rest. I needed it, but it made it that much harder to start up again when panic set in because my Princess races were approaching. I did all three races, including my first Half, which was really tough since it was coupled with family obligations and three very early mornings for this mountain West girl. I was proud that I finished and I felt ok, but I felt I had cheated myself out of a better experience because I didn't stick to my training well enough.

I've transitioned to my Tink training, but I'm struggling right now. In trying to slow down my pace to follow the training plan properly, I find I am shuffling my feet and causing new aches and pains that didn't exist before. I'm trying to fix my form, so every run I do that's more than a few miles feels SO HARD. This voice just keeps popping up saying "you're not going to be ready!" and I haven't had a good run in long enough that I'm starting to believe it.

mrsgryphon, LSUlakes and DopeyBadger like this.
  20. michigandergirl

michigandergirl DIS Veteran

dmross, LSUlakes, PCFriar80 and 3 others like this.
  21. keahgirl8

keahgirl8 DIS Veteran

If I figure it out, I'll let you know. It's a work in progress. It starts if there's a reason why I can't run, like injury or illness. Then I have a really hard time getting back in the habit, even though I miss it (go figure). It makes no sense, but once I'm out of the habit, it's hard to get back in the habit.

LSUlakes and Wendy98 like this.