The Pro-Genie App discussion thread - speculate how the app could make your trip next trip great!

Disney already has the, JMO over priced, fuel rod kiosks. Free electricity to charge devices...Not this management group
You know that was out of their control right? Fuel Rod actually let them continue to be free only at Disney longer than they did anywhere else.

I really don't see how people can already be so adamantly against it when so little info has been released on what it can do.

But maybe I'm just starting to get exhausted from all the constant negativity by some people on here.

I'm not against the app, I should clarify on that. I'm open to seeing what all it entails and i think there are possible iterations of this that could work well for my family. For instance, a set number of included "wishes"/fp+ and then the ability to pay for additional. I actually think if that were the case, they'd wind up making some money off of me, in that I'd be happy to to pay for a little extra if I didn't feel pigeonholed into it. I am one of those crazy Type-A planners, so I also love the idea of Disney basically integrating a TouringPlans system directly into their app (although I do feel for the folks over at TP who will likely wind up taking a hit as a result). I don't mean to be negative, but I think a lot of people have been waiting so long with bated breath for news on this, and so far most rumors point to more $$$.

I would be ok with it if it offers 1 pass per person per day for those staying on-site. An additional 1 pass per person per day if you are staying at a moderate and 1 more if you are at a deluxe or DVC. I would add an additional 2 passes per day for AP holders. This would mean that if you are DVC with an AP and already giving WDW a good chunk of change every year, you get 5 passes per person per day.

Because it’s a change that many people feel is unwarranted and unnecessary. Especially and most importantly with the promise of added costs for things that were once free. These are the only details needed to make any long time customer mad at any company, let alone Disney.

Agree. Only, we haven't explicitly been told (yet) that there will be a charge for things that were once free. We don't know yet that the expected fp+ charges wouldn't be for EXTRA fp instead of just for fp+ as a whole. I am holding out hope that this isn't as bad as we fear.

Yes but it does not seem to be the FP+ system. If it were the same system but now for a fee, I could understand all the upset I see in the boards. But it’s a new system, with what looks to be paid options and free options.

Every major theme park has some sort of pay for shorter lines option, including (I believe) all other Disney sites. This was an inevitability. Let’s see what it is.

You make a good point but I dont spend tens of thousands on lengthy vacations or have a vested interest in a timeshare (vacation club) at those other theme parks. I do with Disney though. And have for many many years. And Disney did offer fastpasses for free at one point, and now they won’t. There’s no doubt in my eyes this will be integrated into the genie app somehow, I think that’s a very fair assumption to make given the launch of Premiere Access in DLP and the credible rumors circulating. And based on that assumption, it’s not something I’m happy about with Disney, among a few other things as well that adds into the mix. I would rather not pay hefty ticket prices, hefty food prices and NOW pay for fastpass when it was once free. Based on the many comments here, I’m not alone in that thinking either.

But we’ll see what happens when it comes out. Happy to be wrong here and would rather be impressed with a new Disney offering, instead of let down which has been the course recently in my experience (pay more for less). Just my two cents.

Agree. Only, we haven't explicitly been told (yet) that there will be a charge for things that were once free. We don't know yet that the expected fp+ charges wouldn't be for EXTRA fp instead of just for fp+ as a whole. I am holding out hope that this isn't as bad as we fear.

It would be great if they gave resorts the perk or others. Let’s hope. This is one thing I absolutely want to be wrong about. I would much rather be impressed with what they offer here then let down.

Typical DIS....someone makes a thread with a title like "Pro-Genie App discussion thread - speculate how the app could make your next trip great!"

3 pages of complaining and negativity. All based on assumptions and weak rumors.

I'll echo luv2cheer92 -
"I really start to wonder why some people spend so much time on here when everything Disney does seems to make them angry."

Sorry, I just don't find negativity in ever.single.thing. I really start to wonder why some people spend so much time on here when everything Disney does seems to make them angry.

I commend you on being able to jump for joy when Disney decides to potentially offer less for more money. How could I have been so stupid….this is obviously the only approach that’s right 🙄

I think most of my excitement stems from how much I enjoy the system at Universal. I know the Disney system can’t be the same for several reasons, but I’m hopeful it will be something that works even more efficiently than before. If I have to pay but in return I get a better system that FP+, I will be happy with that.

You know that was out of their control right? Fuel Rod actually let them continue to be free only at Disney longer than they did anywhere else.
One of the blogs said exchange is back being free.
My point wasn't just the exchange. Unless something has changed the fuel rods don't have the amps and volts to charge modern phones and tablets at a reasonable speed.

It would be great if they gave resorts the perk or others. Let’s hope. This is one thing I absolutely want to be wrong about. I would much rather be impressed with what they offer here then let down.

I know the rumors seem to say otherwise, but I have a hard time believing that there won't be some perk to on site guests in all of this. They build hotel after hotel, DVC after DVC, and they have to fill them. Logic says that if they are charging for FP, people are going to start staying offsite to save money on accommodations to make up the difference in their budget. I don't *think* Disney wants guests staying offsite (although the end to the DME also surprised me in this regard). But I'd expect offsite to start looking more and more attractive, especially for those staying at the moderate and value levels, because let's be honest, without the convenience of walking to any of the parks, there's not a whole lot of difference between staying onsite and using Disney transportation and staying offsite and using an Uber - except that staying offsite is cheaper and Uber is arguably more efficient.

I commend you on being able to jump for joy when Disney decides to potentially offer less for more money. How could I have been so stupid….this is obviously the only approach that’s right 🙄
The bolded is they key for me. I’m hopeful we will be getting something more elevated than FP+. If so, I’ll be happy to pay.

I think the point the comment you’re referencing here was trying to make is: there is currently a looooooooong thread on this topic with plenty of people expressing how unhappy they are with these potential changes. I’m happy a thread was started where those of us who are fairy excited are able to hash out some of the potential benefits.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but when do you guys foresee the app actually becoming available or at very least when do you guys foresee a detailed description.

I know no one really knows, just seems a good conversation starter.

Typical DIS....someone makes a thread with a title like "Pro-Genie App discussion thread - speculate how the app could make your next trip great!"

3 pages of complaining and negativity. All based on assumptions and weak rumors.

I'll echo luv2cheer92 -
"I really start to wonder why some people spend so much time on here when everything Disney does seems to make them angry."

To be fair, when reading the title of this thread, I I thought the app was called, “Pro-Genie App”, lol.

Last edited:
Not trying to hijack the thread, but when do you guys foresee the app actually becoming available or at very least when do you guys foresee a detailed description.

I know no one really knows, just seems a good conversation starter.
Because news is being leaked, I’m hopeful for an announcement soon. When we can actually download the app, I’ve no idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter