The PGA Tour VS. The LIV Tour

I don’t know the details, so let me start there. I am curious if all the people who wouldn’t support LIV because of the Saudi connection will now not support PGA because they are now a partnership. I was ok with LIV from the get-go. Players went to make big money and it was more fun to watch. There was music playing and golfers were having fun. While I like the traditional singular player more than team aspect, I liked all the golfers that left PGA and they were some of my favorites so I watched both.

The PGA Tour players are not happy right now - for a variety of reason, not the least of which was that nobody on the Tour was notified that these talks were even happening. They found out on social media like the rest of the world.

I don’t know the details, so let me start there. I am curious if all the people who wouldn’t support LIV because of the Saudi connection will now not support PGA because they are now a partnership. I was ok with LIV from the get-go. Players went to make big money and it was more fun to watch. There was music playing and golfers were having fun. While I like the traditional singular player more than team aspect, I liked all the golfers that left PGA and they were some of my favorites so I watched both.
Without getting into politics, I'll just say I was one of those, and I will now be one of these. I mainly watched the majors and the Ryder Cup so I'm no great loss as a viewer, but this is gross.

As a spectator, I don't care who sponsors the tournaments. In most cases I really don't even know. I just like to see good golf shots.

The PGA Tour players are not happy right now - for a variety of reason, not the least of which was that nobody on the Tour was notified that these talks were even happening. They found out on social media like the rest of the world.

I agree. Now the PGA Tour has an optics/PR/credibility issue with the players. PGA Tour previously made it sound like they were the one defending their players/bringing lawsuits/banning LIV golfers and turns out they were negotiating with LIV and didn't tell anyone? All this time they were opposed to LIV even if the Europrean tour wasn't or the other Major tournaments let them play. Lawsuits were ongoing and suddenly we are all friends again? Makes NO sense to me and not letting the tour players know ahead of time was a PR disaster regardless of whatever 'deal' was agreed to.

Last edited:

Casual, VERY casual golf fan here. If you are upset about the merger because of the Saudi human rights violations, OK, right there with you. However if you are upset because you think this is a money grab, you do realize you are talking about golf, right?

Augusta still doesn't allow women to play there. Just sayin'.

What?!

Augusta National has hosted a huge women’s amateur event since 2019. It finally admitted women as members over 10 years ago, but even before that women could play as guests, just like other non-members. Their history is certainly not great, but your statement is just wrong.

I know this sounds fairly dramatic, but I am disappointed. We are finding ways to support lack of any caring about what is right and wrong and rewarding those that would just step over you if you were lying on the street bleeding to death. That is the new world we live in and if it isn't stopped soon everything we ever believed in will be gone. They pretty much have won already and it is totally motivated by MONEY. We all would like money, but we apparently will sell our souls if the price is high enough. For the first time in my life I am happy to be old. I won't have to hang around to live through what is coming up. They have basically won before the gate even opened.

I watched and followed many of the greatest of the game and now I have no interest in it at all. It was real competition now it is how much will you pay me. My hero was Jack until he went to the dark side as well, because it's all about money and how much you have of it. Every year that things I used to enjoy seem to disappoint me until I get were I've gotten now, between Disney price gouging and now the "BDL" Big Dollar League it has sickened me.

I know some are going to say your taking it all to personally and you could be right, but I've always tried (not always successfully) to do the right thing and now there is no right or wrong, just how much will you pay me to go along. The cost will be a lot higher than most can even imagine.

I know this sounds fairly dramatic, but I am disappointed. We are finding ways to support lack of any caring about what is right and wrong and rewarding those that would just step over you if you were lying on the street bleeding to death. That is the new world we live in and if it isn't stopped soon everything we ever believed in will be gone. They pretty much have won already and it is totally motivated by MONEY. We all would like money, but we apparently will sell our souls if the price is high enough. For the first time in my life I am happy to be old. I won't have to hang around to live through what is coming up. They have basically won before the gate even opened.

I watched and followed many of the greatest of the game and now I have no interest in it at all. It was real competition now it is how much will you pay me. My hero was Jack until he went to the dark side as well, because it's all about money and how much you have of it. Every year that things I used to enjoy seem to disappoint me until I get were I've gotten now, between Disney price gouging and now the "BDL" Big Dollar League it has sickened me.

I know some are going to say your taking it all to personally and you could be right, but I've always tried (not always successfully) to do the right thing and now there is no right or wrong, just how much will you pay me to go along. The cost will be a lot higher than most can even imagine.
I hear you, I have felt much the same way. I have been told it is stupid to be an idealist and I guess it is true. I swear it was a painful awakening to realize that a very large amount of people don't wake up every day trying to be a better person :) You seem a kind and gentle soul and I just wanted you to know there really are others who feel the same. Don't stop being you and take care of your spirit in these very trying times.

Casual, VERY casual golf fan here. If you are upset about the merger because of the Saudi human rights violations, OK, right there with you. However if you are upset because you think this is a money grab, you do realize you are talking about golf, right?

You could not be more wrong.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/i...ters-champ-jon-rahm-leaving-pga-tour-liv-golf

I haven’t followed this too closely, but this seems like a smart move by Rahm. It’s quite possible that the PGA will feel compelled to address their hypocrisy in rejecting LIV players from events while also taking PIF money themselves, and maybe loosen their current restrictions. Rahm may well get to have his cake and eat it too. And that’s a LOT of cake!

The money in professional sports is crazy, especially when skewed even further by these Saudi investments.

The part I don't get is why Rahm would join LIV if supposedly they are going to merge with the PGA tour. Doesn't seem like LIV would keep throwing out the big bucks if they will soon be one tour. Perhaps an indication the merger isn't going to happen so likely a reason for him to jump to their tour. Unfortunate that some of the top golfers will set aside their integrity if enough money is thrown their way.

If the Saudi's oil investment fund has so much money they don't know what to do with it, seems like they could put it to better use at home helping out their people or looking to expand their economy beyond oil revenue. I still have NO idea how throwing all this money at pro golfers is helping them to "diversify" their investments as they have at times claimed..............LOL.

Last edited:
. Rahm may well get to have his cake and eat it too. And that’s a LOT of cake!

Yes. Rahm is the unicorn in this whole deal.

He's getting money he just HAS to take, but also, he is exempt for the Masters for life, and exempt for the other majors until 2031.

So, he doesn't have to play any John Deeres, or Greensboro's, or Hartford's, etc, etc. He's got the best of both worlds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter