The Orville

Squirlz

DIS Veteran
Anybody watching this? It's brilliant! I was surprised based on the early reviews and the fact that I haven't liked anything else Seth MacFarlane has done. I hope it isn't too smart for the general public. There is so much subtle humor. Tonight's episode even put a lump in my throat at the end.

Based on the commercials for it, I thought it would be awful. But I watched after Gotham, got caught up in the story, and actually enjoyed it. Yeah, silly and even stupid in spots, but overall quite entertaining and even touching.

Entertaining but we'll see if it gets renewed. Good gap filler between dark matter and the exspanse

I liked the pilot, thought the second episode wasn't as good, haven't watched the third episode yet. I think Seth MacFarlane gets in his own way sometimes. I will continue to watch, it has a lot going for it. It can't be cheap to produce so I think it's going to need a lot of viewers to keep it on the air.

I'm going to have to give it another go. I caught one little blip of the first episode and it was drama between two exes in a hallway?? That wasn't Star Trek to me, so I kept flipping. I'm thinking now I watched the wrong moment!

I love it! Like Star Trek: Next Generation, it touches on complex and thorny moral and philosophical issues. Unlike TNG, it's, um, good.

I like it a lot. It's like Star Trek with real people in it. One of the big things about Gene Roddenberry's vision of the future is that there would be no interpersonal conflicts between the crew members. That has worked well for Trek, but sometimes it falls into the trap of the characters being stodgy, like how they can all go around quoting Shakespeare and other classic literature on a dime. Who actually does that? Not the crew of the Orville, ha ha! (Full disclosure, I still LOVE Star Trek, but recognize this aspect as both a positive and a negative).

I haven't watched last night's episode yet, but I did like the first two. I do think the second episode didn't hit its stride until it got to the scene with the Captain and his ex bickering in the apartment. Seth has always had a good sense of comic timing and he just nailed it. It's good to know that both present day breakfast cereals and the Muppets will survive for hundreds of years!

I think that's one of the things I love most about it!

Oh, sure, it definitely shows a very positive message for the future of humanity. I love it too! However, it can lead to stories where the crew becomes interchangeable, which is really a failing of the writers. Sometimes Data wasn't the only robot on TNG, you know? It's certainly a challenging way to approach writing drama, though it pays off when done well.

I have only caught Ep 1 - got the rest DVRd. I love Seth McFarland, he has a great sense of humor & darn he can sing too!!!

I liked the first 2 Eps a lot, the third one was not really a comedy at all. The music, sets, & effects are fantastic but they are going to need some consistency in the humor/adventure ratio to find an audience.

I watched the 1st and 2nd episodes and really like it, it's different. I haven't watched the 3rd but plan to, I hope it's popular and gets renewed.

Anybody watching this? It's brilliant! I was surprised based on the early reviews and the fact that I haven't liked anything else Seth MacFarlane has done. I hope it isn't too smart for the general public. There is so much subtle humor. Tonight's episode even put a lump in my throat at the end.

I just watched all three episodes on demand because I didn’t realize it started. So far I give it 2 thumbs up!

The end of the second episode was funny (I’m a Jersey girl) and in the third episode the doctor with the blob in sick bay made me laugh. I did not like the end of the third and I hope it gets resolved in some way (don’t want to say more in case someone still wants to watch it).

Last edited:
I hope it isn't too smart for the general public.

wait, are you calling the general population stupid?

I know what you mean, I can't tell you the number of shows that I liked and got good reviews, but were cancelled because it didn't catch on with the masses.

these days, I tend to stay away from shows that have a dominant continuing story line for fear that it would get cancelled and leave me hanging. I still want to know what "Alcatraz" was all about.

I'm not sure how costly the show is compared to other shows. the sets are very spacious, but simple so there isn't a lot of detailing and props. I like the look.

also, the cast is small and they use a lot of CGI.

I'm enjoying it, although the single sex species has me confused. I'm not sure how they reproduce by mating, if they aren't actually both sexes at once (like a flower).

Spoilers for those who haven't seen Ep 3:

Within that same wondering about how that "single sex/all male" thing works, if Bortus's mate used to be a female, how was he able to create the baby? I just don't see how all of that worked out in the writers' minds. My best guess is "in the future, we'll be able to fix things so that beings who have been through gender reassignment can reproduce." But the more logical answer is that none of them are actually male, they just present as male and actually have both male & female working reproductive organs.

I'm enjoying it, although the single sex species has me confused. I'm not sure how they reproduce by mating, if they aren't actually both sexes at once (like a flower).

Spoilers for those who haven't seen Ep 3:

Within that same wondering about how that "single sex/all male" thing works, if Bortus's mate used to be a female, how was he able to create the baby? I just don't see how all of that worked out in the writers' minds. My best guess is "in the future, we'll be able to fix things so that beings who have been through gender reassignment can reproduce." But the more logical answer is that none of them are actually male, they just present as male and actually have both male & female working reproductive organs.

Yeah, I hadn't really taken it as an "all male" species, but rather just a single gender one that was neither male nor female. I totally get what they were trying to do with the story and I enjoyed the good sci-fi allegory there. Keep in mind that there are some species where males do carry the babies, like seahorses. If you add some unexplained "alien" macguffin to that, it still works.

Warning potential spoiler below.

This thread had me intrigued, so DH & I watched the show last night. We enjoyed it & will continue to watch, but someone should have warned us about the baby in episode 3. :sad2: :mad:
I felt that way too! I have a feeling they were going for the not predictable ending but dang it just didn't sit well with me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter