The Official DIS Oscar LIVE PARTY thread!!! "Mistake" video in post #705

Okay, before everyone leaves, thanks everyone for another weirdly successful award show party :tilt: :upsidedow - with a shocking "stay till the end" moment. :lmao:

As I always say, these party threads only work because all of YOU show up for it, YOU post and make it happen. :dance3: :hyper2: :thumbsup2

So who loses their job over this?

I agree it's not Warren's fault but it is his fault for not thinking. If the card says "Emma Stone, La La Land," that's clearly not best picture. You don't just announce it as Best Picture because. You need to announce that the incorrect card is in the envelope, take 60 seconds to go get the correct card, and then announce it.

It's not that difficult.

Okay, before everyone leaves, thanks everyone for another weirdly successful award show party :tilt: :upsidedow - with a shocking "stay till the end" moment. :lmao:

As I always say, these party threads only work because all of YOU show up for it, YOU post and make it happen. :dance3: :hyper2: :thumbsup2

It was fun! Thanks for hosting! :)

I agree it's not Warren's fault but it is his fault for not thinking. If the card says "Emma Stone, La La Land," that's clearly not best picture. You don't just announce it as Best Picture because. You need to announce that the incorrect card is in the envelope, take 60 seconds to go get the correct card, and then announce it.

It's not that difficult.

At first I thought the same thing regarding Warren, but then I realized: he's in a particularly high-pressure position (even if he is a veteran actor), and he's 79 years old.. he may have vision problems, thought he was reading the card wrong.. which is why I think he showed the card to Faye for assistance; she thought he was joking around and blurted out the movie shown. In retrospect, he should have said something, but I also can’t imagine being in front of a million+ eyes and try to figure out that problem... I can't really blame him for that.

It's not that difficult.

Well, you've got two old geezers who are 79 & 76 years old. Maybe Warren thought, did I finally lose my eye sight in THIS moment? :eek: :headache:

Faye Dunaway hasn't seen him in decades, and probably thought he's getting dotty & has lost his eyesight. She did say something to him, laughing, like he's so funny. That's why she didn't expect anything wrong with the CARD - just with Warren.

Had he said to her, "Is this even the right card???" :confused: She might have looked over the whole thing to read how it said Emma Stone and not just looked for the movie name.

I've watched on the after show now too and I think he was trying to get Faye to see what he was seeing - to confirm there was a problem. And instead she just blurted out the title she saw. There is a lot he could have done differently to make everybody aware of it, but I think that's easy for all of us to say as we're watching from home. I'd imagine on that stage, we may not have such a calm head on our shoulders. I know I would be totally flustered.

At first I thought the same thing regarding Warren, but then I realized: he's in a particularly high-pressure position (even if he is a veteran actor), and he's 79 years old.. he may have vision problems, thought he was reading the card wrong.. which is why I think he showed the card to Faye for assistance; she thought he was joking around and blurted out the movie shown. In retrospect, he should have said something, but I also can’t imagine being in front of a million+ eyes and try to figure out that problem... I can't really blame him for that.

Yes, and this isn't his first time presenting. He's probably presented about 4 times in the past. Yet, it's unprecedented that they got the cards wrong. When I watched again, I saw that he even looked inside the envelope to see if there was a second card or something else written that would say the right name. So he probably thought it was him, suddenly getting really old, under the pressure of the moment.

Late to the party here; I watched on delay. I can't blame Warren Beaty or Faye Dunaway. It looked to me that the wrong card was in the envelope. Warren even looked in the envelope to see if another card was in there. I need to watch to see if the headset guy brought another card out.

My favorite so far..#NotMyBestPicture

Enjoying Tweets tonight!!

So I realize that many people believe that a second envelope existed but I prefer to believe that Leonardo is to blame, he was the last one seen with the original envelope
Emma Stone said, she had possession of the Best Actress envelope...
"And, I was holding my Best Actress card the whole time". ~ Emma Stone

Last edited:
Late to the party here; I watched on delay. I can't blame Warren Beaty or Faye Dunaway. It looked to me that the wrong card was in the envelope. Warren even looked in the envelope to see if another card was in there. I need to watch to see if the headset guy brought another card out.

Yes, he had another one in his hand, while he was walking around among the producers & Warren.

Emma Stone said, she had possession of the Best Actress envelope...
"And, I was holding my Best Actress card the whole time". ~ Emma Stone

Someone posted this earlier:

I read that only two people know the winners - the accountants who counted the votes. They memorize the winners. They realized after the announcement and worked as fast as possible to fix.

There are two copies of every envelope. They are carried by the two accountants on two separate routes to the Oscars, in case something happens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter